Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Merton Blask posted:

Have done something similar, only with a warrior blob blasted down to 3 models and then coming back to 12 the next turn.

Aren't Praetorians fearless though? I don't have my codex on me, but I thought that was one of the big reasons to use them.

Yeah uhh sure enough they are fearless. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Artum posted:

That's the first squad largely done, I'm humming and hawing over whether I'm gonna do squad identifiers and such on them so haven't varnished and fully committed yet but I'm pretty happy with them. Decided to use the nominal sergeant as a normal dude for a bit more visual variety in the squad and while i really wasn't sold on inceptors when they were announced I'm a lot more partial to them without the armour colour on their respirators so they dont look like they have big dumb mouths.

Next order of business is batch painting an intercessor squad which will hopefully take me less time than these greebly motherfuckers.

You've done well fellow Ultrabro.

Having not touched brush to model in almost a month, I'm nearly biting my nails in anticipation of getting back on the wagon this weekend.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

The Sisko posted:

While not quite done just yet, these bad boys are are table top ready stage for me. Now that admech is much simplified I look forward to playing and not going cross eyed.

These are very cool. Bone coloured House Malinax style mechanicum always look great.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

You've done well fellow Ultrabro.

Having not touched brush to model in almost a month, I'm nearly biting my nails in anticipation of getting back on the wagon this weekend.

I just packed up my painting stuff last night in preparation for the move next week, I'm in the same boat. I should start my Stormraven but I'm really itching to work on some Primaris bros once I'm all unpacked.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

I just packed up my painting stuff last night in preparation for the move next week, I'm in the same boat. I should start my Stormraven but I'm really itching to work on some Primaris bros once I'm all unpacked.

Primaris seem like they'd be right at home in a templars force given that one of their main things is being better at punching faces.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

That's the first squad largely done, I'm humming and hawing over whether I'm gonna do squad identifiers and such on them so haven't varnished and fully committed yet but I'm pretty happy with them. Decided to use the nominal sergeant as a normal dude for a bit more visual variety in the squad and while i really wasn't sold on inceptors when they were announced I'm a lot more partial to them without the armour colour on their respirators so they dont look like they have big dumb mouths.

Next order of business is batch painting an intercessor squad which will hopefully take me less time than these greebly motherfuckers.

These look killer. An inspiration to start mine tomorrow night.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Putting my terminators on hold for a bit, I have to start on my AoS starter force for a painted escalation league next month. But once I'm done with them, do you think I should try and get my tac marines and HQs done or try working on a predator or razorback?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My Primaris should be arriving tomorrow, hype to get started on them.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Termagants are equally good at shooting as Crisis suits. Even better if there's more than 20 in the unit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It can mean breaking and fleeing, blipping out of existence, phasing out, succumbing to additional wounds, being eaten by your comrades, etc.

I seriously prefer this method of resolving morale. It abstracts an individual's momentary lack of discipline or hesitation that gets them cut down, which is much more plausible than the entire unit fleeing as a group.

It's that scene where the guy takes off his helmet to look at the dent just before getting shot a second time.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

moths posted:

I seriously prefer this method of resolving morale. It abstracts an individual's momentary lack of discipline or hesitation that gets them cut down, which is much more plausible than the entire unit fleeing as a group.

It's that scene where the guy takes off his helmet to look at the dent just before getting shot a second time.

I like it because it's faster and easier to resolve and doesn't create dumb situations where I have a unit fleeing off the board, either because I kept rolling too high or because they were deployed too close to the table edge

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Gonna play a 100 PL game against Orks tomorrow, gonna bring this I think:
Battalion Detachment
HQ
Trazyn the Infinite
Cryptek

Troops
10 Immortals
20 Warriors
10 Warriors

Fast Attack
3 Wraiths w/ Transdimensional Beamers

Heavy Support
Annihilation Barge
Monolith

Flyers
Doom Scythe
Night Scythe

Dedicated Transport
Ghost Ark

Should be pretty fun, I'm excited to see how 8th edition goes.

panascope fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 21, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Any of our resident Ork players want to give me some advice? I am trying to draft a 1.5k list now indexes are out.

Regular warbikers? I love the aesthetic, but the only consolidated source of 8e unit info I can find considers them absolutely terrible, though it is 1d4chan wiki so they could be over reacting.

Koptas seem really, really expensive, over 80 points a pop for fairly innaccurate guns and a random number of attacks, what are the benefits to them? I have 3 aobr models and again, sweet as gently caress aesthetic so I'm just looking for a reason to field them.

A gun platform battlewagon? A few weeks before 8th dropped someone had the idea of loading a kff mek into a hardcase battlewagon, having it hang back with the killkannon and shokk gun and have it blast things while the mek keeps it safe and topped up. Anyone tried it yet? I feel like I might be able to get similar results for slightly cheaper if I swap the wagon for some mek guns, more accurate too.

I want the centrepiece of my army to be a Big Mek, Painboy and Warboss all on warbikes backed up by some nob bikers. Riding around tying stuff up to allow some big squads of boyz to foot slog up the map safely. Backed up by some of the above.

I'm not too bothered about having the absolute most optimised list but I don't want to spend my money and points on a terrible strategy or really bad units. So advice would be appreciated.

Nobody has played enough games to know if a unit is terrible or not. At best you can question how likely it is that something can be effective, but the hidden synergies and effects that this game can produce are likely going to require several months of effort. I wouldn't expect anything concrete to really be established until we see how a major tournament like NOVA works out. That said I have my own opinions on Orks and can share them.

As I see it Orks work really well when you overwhelm your opponent and don't give them enough time to damage you. They're extremely deadly but very fragile. I've had a lot of success (okay, two games, but they were two successful games) with slugga boyz in Battlewagons. The units are large enough to do serious damage, the vehicles can move fast enough to reliably get a 2nd turn assault, and it's fun to overwhelm your opponent. I've also been fairly happy with Dakkajets, who seem to over a nice combination of high damage (18 S6 shots with -1 AP) and maneuverability. I'm not sure how well your approach of tying up units with the bikers will work, as your opponent can always fall back (and shoot you with something else) and the boyz on foot will likely take an extra turn or two. One thing you can do that's pretty scary is use a Weirdboy to dump a squad of 30 shootas on your opponent's doorstep; with some lucky rolls you can get a first turn charge. You have a roughly 50% chance of getting the 9" with a regular reroll, and I haven't done the math yet but with a command point optionally letting you reroll one die if you get a high number it should be a bit higher.

As other have said the benefits of Deffkoptas is that they're fairly tough, have scouting abilities, and can deliver mortal wounds via Big Bomms. Personally I think Dakkajets are a better choice to fill that niche.

The problem with regular Warbikers is that they're expensive at 27 points each. Now you get a lot for that 27 points, including improved speed, +1T, +1W, a half-range big shoota, and a 4+ save, but it's still the price of four sluggz boyz. Nobs on warbikes, on the other hand, are definitely interesting. While expensive at 42 points each their ability to carry large weapons like power klaws or big choppas makes them a significant threat to the type of high toughness, high wound targets that are normally a challenge for Orks. Whether or not they're superior to other options (like regular Nobz riding a truck or Battlewagon) remains to be seen.

Here's the latest iteration that I'm thinking of for my 1500 list:

HQ: Warboss on Bike w/ Shoota, Power Klaw, Attack Squig
HQ: Warboss on Bike w/ Shoota, Power Klaw, Attack Squig
HQ: Big Mek on Bike w/ KFF

T: 20 Boyz w/ Sluggas, Nob w/ PK
T: 20 Boyz w/ Sluggas, Nob w/ PK
T: 30 Boyz w/ Shootas, 3 Big Shootas, Nob w/ PK & Kustom Shoota

HS: Battlewagon w/ 'Ard Case, Deff Rolla
HS: Battlewagon w/ 'Ard Case, Deff Rolla

FL: Dakkajet w/ 6 Supa Shootas
FL: Dakkajet w/ 6 Supa Shootas

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Thanks for the ork advice everyone!

I've got a nice little 1.5k list now, Warboss on bike, big mek with kff on bike, painboy on bike (these will be fun conversion projects), 3 squads of 3 nob bikers, 3 squads of 30 boyz, 3 Kustom Mega Kannons with a regular Mek to keep them cooled off. It feels like it should have the tools to tackle most things.

Though, I've given all the bikers big choppas instead of klaws, because they are 1/3 the cost and have the same ap and average damage as klaws, don't have the -1 to hit that klaws do either.

A Big Choppa is -1 AP, a Power Klaw is -3 AP. Huge difference.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So did anyone else notice that Slaanesh got shafted in the rulebook? Every other God got a 2 page spread showing the respective army, but Slaanesh just got a small picture of a few Noise Marines to represent the Emperors Children.

Also, there is a badass picture that has a panel for each god, with Abbadon in the center. Each gods panel shows the army being badass, except Slaanesh, which is just a picture of a renegade Knight.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

So did anyone else notice that Slaanesh got shafted in the rulebook? Every other God got a 2 page spread showing the respective army, but Slaanesh just got a small picture of a few Noise Marines to represent the Emperors Children.

Also, there is a badass picture that has a panel for each god, with Abbadon in the center. Each gods panel shows the army being badass, except Slaanesh, which is just a picture of a renegade Knight.

Its not for nothing that they introduced the thing thats sole purpose is killing slaanesh into events with gathering storm.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like it because it's faster and easier to resolve and doesn't create dumb situations where I have a unit fleeing off the board, either because I kept rolling too high or because they were deployed too close to the table edge

Yeah, it's both more brutal at actually getting rid of the fag-end of units which have taken heavy casualties, and also less likely to screw you over when someone drops a couple of guys from an expensive unit on turn 1. I was dubious about it but I'm in favour now.

jadebullet posted:

New GW seems to be struggling with what to do with Slaanesh. They're shying away from "here are boob daemonettes with lovingly sculpted nipples" but they don't seem to know how to take it in another direction. There's plenty of space there with stuff like Sigvald in old fantasy and noise marines, but whether they'll do anything with it is a different question.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Also man power levels are a lot cooler than points

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

Every other faction has gotten new models and rules in the last year and a half, so that's probably why.

panascope posted:

This guy gets it

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Every other faction has gotten new models and rules in the last year and a half, so that's probably why.

This guy gets it

Its dumb that they dropped intercessors from 120pts to 100pts but kept them at 6 power. :colbert:

Similarly inceptors got increased from 159 to 180 pts but they're still 8 power.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Otoh noise marines are still really good though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

panascope posted:

Power levels rule. Being able to just say "gently caress it, all these dudes are WYSIWYG, deal with it" owns.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

panascope posted:

I agree. My friends still want to play with points (and points definitely have some advantages, like sometimes I want to take a heavy bolter devastator squad instead of a lascannon one and shouldn't have to pay the lascannon price) but it's way easier to just put on whatever the gently caress I want for wargear and roll with it.

I think it could definitely be expanded on with more +PL options. Like how a techmarine's servo harness adds +1 PL. Having an anti tank devastator squad be at 7 and an anti infantry one be at 6 could work. But it would get messy and I understand why they wouldn't do it, there's just some things (Like bolter or shotgun scouts) which will never see the light of day with PL.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 21, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If anyone wants to trade for my nurgle stuff in the US PM me.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
There's a couple cases where the PL seems inflated as hell.

Made a Grey Knights list that barely broke 1900pts but was 203pl.

Trying to figure out where the defect was coming from short of giving every model a daemonhammer.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So speaking of nurgle stuff.

Once my AoS list is done, how out of place would putrid blightkings be as counts-as nurgle terminators?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

chutche2 posted:

So speaking of nurgle stuff.

Once my AoS list is done, how out of place would putrid blightkings be as counts-as nurgle terminators?

I mean, I'd allow it. It's a cool idea.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I agree. My friends still want to play with points (and points definitely have some advantages, like sometimes I want to take a heavy bolter devastator squad instead of a lascannon one and shouldn't have to pay the lascannon price) but it's way easier to just put on whatever the gently caress I want for wargear and roll with it.

I think it could definitely be expanded on with more +PL options. Like how a techmarine's servo harness adds +1 PL. Having an anti tank devastator squad be at 7 and an anti infantry one be at 6 could work. But it would get messy and I understand why they wouldn't do it, there's just some things (Like bolter or shotgun scouts) which will never see the light of day with PL.

I don't like it because it requires that I max out units that I don't want to max out. For example with PL a Battlewagon costs the same if it has nothing or if it has a Deff Rolla, 4 Rokkit Launchas, Grabbin' Klaw, Wrecking Ball, Zzap Gun, and a Killkannon. For most units that's not a big deal, but the lack of granularity on some of the more expensive options is frustrating.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't like it because it requires that I max out units that I don't want to max out. For example with PL a Battlewagon costs the same if it has nothing or if it has a Deff Rolla, 4 Rokkit Launchas, Grabbin' Klaw, Wrecking Ball, Zzap Gun, and a Killkannon. For most units that's not a big deal, but the lack of granularity on some of the more expensive options is frustrating.

Yeah ork example is the deff kopter. I don't really need or want the bombs or the killsaw but welp gotta go big.

It's interesting how the beefed up the runtherds, meks and docs. The certainly don't match the spindly models. I'm gonna guess they and the kommandoes are next in line for release.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Stormboyz are literally manned anti-aircraft rockets now. This timeline is getting better :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

This era of Flying units all over the place had really opened things up for IG. Hydras got wild.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Anyone have any NIB/NOS Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons teams and Tanks for sale/trade (I dont have any warhams for trade, but I do have an mtg Atraxia Precon)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

...short of giving every model a daemonhammer.

Every dude with a hammer is pretty good

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Der Waffle Mous posted:

There's a couple cases where the PL seems inflated as hell.

Made a Grey Knights list that barely broke 1900pts but was 203pl.

Trying to figure out where the defect was coming from short of giving every model a daemonhammer.

Everything with a demon hammer killed a knight in a single squad activation so its a solid plan.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This era of Flying units all over the place had really opened things up for IG. Hydras got wild.

Yeah with 72" range they can cover the whole board if they have LOS.

Strike from the sky bro-*BRRRRRRT*

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Agentdark posted:

Anyone have any NIB/NOS Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons teams and Tanks for sale/trade (I dont have any warhams for trade, but I do have an mtg Atraxia Precon)

I have some NIB and NOS HWTs; I'm just missing one base. Hit me up at herpderpspamcatcher AT gmail DOT com..

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much my complaint too. I've always been more inclined to take more models over upgrading what I have. Power doesn't work for me and while it may work fine for units like tactical squads who get minimal upgrades, others like Death Company, Vanguard, Sternguard, Nobs, etc. can break the system pretty easily. It's very imprecise and the difference between points and power can be quite huge. You can almost get three basic carnifexes for the price of one haruspex in points while in power you can only get two.

Power seems to make sense for new players and that's about it. I won't be playing like that and I've already written points values in and around the unit entries in my indices to make list building easier.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I used one the other day against Beer4theBeerGod. 8 shots, hitting on 4's with S7 and -1 AP vs. a T6 4+ translated to 2 wounds. Largely ineffective, especially for 123 points. Though, its heavy bolter may have stripped a wound off of a battlewagon, which is kinda cool.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Sex Cannon posted:

I used one the other day against Beer4theBeerGod. 8 shots, hitting on 4's with S7 and -1 AP vs. a T6 4+ translated to 2 wounds. Largely ineffective, especially for 123 points. Though, its heavy bolter may have stripped a wound off of a battlewagon, which is kinda cool.

When would you be hitting on 4+ with a hydra?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The PL system isn't for people who want to squeeze the most out of their list. If you say "now I have to max this unit out to get the most bang per PL" you should be using points. PL is for "lets play some warhammer and drink some beers and have fun and not sweat the list building details too much" type of dudes. And for players who just aren't that good at warhammer, whose play isn't squeezing out the most per turn, or who like to charge their world eaters across the acid slime because that's what they would do in real life...PL seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

my kinda ape posted:

When would you be hitting on 4+ with a hydra?

You hit on a 4+ against flyers if the hydra moves, or shooting a hard to hit flyer.

A hydra will shoot jump infantry on a 3+, but against actual planes it'd still hit on 4s.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 21, 2017