Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

As has been posted repeatedly, they're different games as far as steam is concerned (ignoring that SWL won't be available on Steam until late July so this is even less of an issue right now). You'll have both clients installed simultaneously if you play both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Richard M Nixon posted:

Sounds like he's saying that if steam manages the install, it's nuking the old version and installing some other client. If you're on steam, can you grab the client from the tsw account page?

Checking my Steam, it does show a recent TSW update going through, but double checking the game by logging in, it's still the old TSW so who knows what the update was.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

All I know is there is suddenly a 3.1 GB update for the old version.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Mercurius posted:

As has been posted repeatedly, they're different games as far as steam is concerned (ignoring that SWL won't be available on Steam until late July so this is even less of an issue right now). You'll have both clients installed simultaneously if you play both games.

I'm not a steam expert, but the appID entry for TSW was updated to SWL, so I'm thinking that maybe Steam will see it as a single game. I'm not sure what happens to existing content, but if you check the history here it looks like the game was just renamed and given new tags, but Steam will still see it as the original entry. :iiam:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm not a steam expert, but the appID entry for TSW was updated to SWL, so I'm thinking that maybe Steam will see it as a single game. I'm not sure what happens to existing content, but if you check the history here it looks like the game was just renamed and given new tags, but Steam will still see it as the original entry. :iiam:

There might be something to that since when I go to the Steam page it tells me I already have SWL in my library and when I look at my library, it's still TSW.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The steam version has started reorganising files (that's what the 3 gig update was - it actually requires enough space for a complete second install of the game :v:) for SWL but I presume it won't "become" SWL until the official steam launch in july.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I hope SWL launches with a golem event.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I just hope the servers can keep it up during launch night.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Len posted:

I hope SWL launches with a golem event.

Considering I hadn't a clue what the golem event was in TSW and only ran over when people were calling for more to help out, I ended up having quite a bit of fun with it. But then nothing in my world events in a game experience had me shooting away next to a naked guy wearing a horse mask and someone running around in a bikini with rabbit ears packing an AK.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Considering I hadn't a clue what the golem event was in TSW and only ran over when people were calling for more to help out, I ended up having quite a bit of fun with it. But then nothing in my world events in a game experience had me shooting away next to a naked guy wearing a horse mask and someone running around in a bikini with rabbit ears packing an AK.

They're pretty much Funcoms go-to for world events. Every event has a giant boss that tanks frame rate and drops a loot bag. Sometimes they launch with an extra 0 putting the boss at 200mil.

This time around since the server cap is 10 I'd hope they scale that number down but it's Funcom so I doubt it.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

SWL will launch with a golem event that rewards a currency you can turn in for level 1 green weapons.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

2 reason: 1) Each weapon has passives and a capstone in the active tree you unlock that have Stat boosts. A character with multiple weapons maxed will be significantly stronger. 2) You get 1 character slot. Every additional slot costs money.

Well. gently caress.

(Thanks!)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

So I know it's like 3 days until the head start so clearly this is a late rant, but I gotta say I'm really not feeling how weapon resources work.

In longer fights it felt like it causes breaks in the flow of combat where I felt stuck and needing to resort to weak-feeling basic attacks; where I only use the attacks out of necessity because my energy needs to recharge. This is especially apparent when I want to use special attacks that manipulate the weapon gimmick, like ele's cold attacks or pistol's Mulligan. I feel like I'm not rewarded enough for what I consider 'intelligent' use of these abilities to set myself up for a good damage dump, because usually by the time I'm in a position to best utilize these special abilities, my resources are dry. I have to start staggering basic and power attacks to keep damage going (or keep spamming basic attacks until energy has recharged).

What if the more RNG-centric gimmicks gave you a little bit of extra energy when they proc, or have the special abilities that help set up dumps not cost energy, or something like that? There's already something kind of like that with Fist with the talent that returns 4 energy after a frenzy, which makes managing energy way more interesting to me.

I have zero data to back my feelings up, but it just feels awkward and bad, especially for dungeon bosses that take more than 18 or 31 seconds to finish. I just don't understand the intended "flow" of combat in SWL, and while I like a lot of the changes, at least it was easy to settle into a rotation in TSW compared to SWL. I don't even want to imagine how lovely raids are going to feel like with the way things are right now.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It's not just you. Blade, Fist, Hammer, and Shotgun feel significantly better than the other weapons because of their energy restoration and basic attack mechanics. The rest of the weapons just feel worse by comparison.

Basic attacks are still good as blade because they deal extra damage during Spirit Blade and build charges so you always want to weave them and never feel penalized. Blade is so good in this way that you can even use it without another weapon.

Shotgun can restore all of its energy with Shell Salvage and with Even and Odds you actually want to weave basic attacks for a significant bonus. Shotgun can almost be a solo weapon too but it's nice to have an energy dump or two on another weapon for your 5 seconds of downtime every 30 seconds.

Fist has the energy restore on Frenzy end and Frenzy just makes things more interesting.

Even Hammers basics feel better because they build rage and you can use them to build the rage up to drop a huge hit.

On the other end of the spectrum, AR and Blood basics are hot garbage that just feel like tike fillers. The leech one isn't terrible for self-sustain but it's definitely not great.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 20, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So basically what I'm hearing is start with the Shotguns/Hammers class.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Rookersh posted:

So basically what I'm hearing is start with the Shotguns/Hammers class.

Blade/Hammer is good too.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 21, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

Blade/Hammer is good too.

I really like guns, and really hate ninjas.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Many of the weapon specials no longer decay over time, like blade and hammer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This has nothing to do with TSW I just think it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaeFgSR_DMU

However it could easily be TSW if that was the Orochi 950 kitchen appliance.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I would agree but at no point did it tear the fabric of spacetime, unleash an ancient evil or devour countless people.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

I would agree but at no point did it tear the fabric of spacetime, unleash an ancient evil or devour countless people.

We can just pretend that roast bird was actually crafted from the "special meat source" in Orochi Tower.

It's a real shame that location is so endgame because there are a lot of great things going on inside it that I think a lot of players never saw.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

There'a a headstart devstream Friday at 1pm Eastern, so the speculation is that we can't login until after the stream since they won't want to risk the servers crashing for the stream.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So have they talked about possible subscriptions and the like, or is it all purely one-off transactions?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yes, the Patron Lawlicaust refers to is a sub as far as anyone knows.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gently caress, I somehow missed that bit. My bad.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Is there a client preload somewhere or is that gonna be a shitrodeo too

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Capntastic posted:

Is there a client preload somewhere or is that gonna be a shitrodeo too

Shitrodeo for sure. The minimal install wasn't too bad in beta though. 15g maybe.

poptart_fairy posted:

gently caress, I somehow missed that bit. My bad.

It's unclear right now whether Patron is cash only or if you can buy it with cash shop currency. Also unclear is what "Patron Levels" are and how they impact things. They sound like loyalty rewards for being Patron for x months but it's unclear what they actually give.

Basically, Funcom isn't saying poo poo about poo poo and it will be a clown fiesta come launch day.

But that's Funcom.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Many of the weapon specials no longer decay over time, like blade and hammer.

To clarify this, special resources, not special effects. This was changed before the last phase. It really only matters for Hammer because before rage instantly decayed after combat which was awful.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 21, 2017

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

My guess for Patron is that it's going to be a pretty simple system. Cash only sub with the 1/3/6/12 month options, no perks other than what we've seen.

That means you'll get a boost to XP and whatever currency came from missions (anima?), the daily login bonus of cache key+that other thing, and the extra dungeon/lair keys.

Rewards are probably a FF14/STO style cosmetic or minor utility item after X days of paid subscription. I swear they also posted something about an icon next to your name that increases over time.

The only thing I'm hoping for is the return of a lifetime sub, since spending $200 on a perma-sub to a game is a dumb thing I like to do but TSW wasn't on my radar when it was available.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I posted all the Patron benefits a while ago. 10% xp, 8 hr mission cooldowns, daily loot box key (stacks but you must login and claim), more and cheaper consumables, extra dungeon, scenario, and lair keys, access to auction house anywhere, can trade with other patrons (free players cannot trade),free anima leap, 10% anima shards.

Sub-time from TSW is supposed to carry over to Patron Levels and grandmasters get permentant Patron. The Patron system was barely active for like 2 weeks of beta though so who knows how janky it might be at launch or I'd they even have level rewards ready.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Beta Client Download

This will update to live so you can use this to preload.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Lawlicaust posted:

Beta Client Download

This will update to live so you can use this to preload.

Thanks, now I'll at least have my shitspurs on

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Patron levels are no longer mentioned on the FAQ and they were never in the beta so I assume they're cut.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
They are still mentioned under what happens when I'm no longer a Patron?

quote:

All benefits associated with the program are active while you are a Patron. When your time expires, you will lose access to those bonuses, but you will keep your current Patron Level. The next time you join the Patron Rewards Program, you will be back where you left off (or maybe a level higher!)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Hah, okay. There used to be another section about Patron Level and that was removed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I didn't get the headstart email despite having an account.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I don't know if anything's been said yet or it'll be in the dev stream, but does anyone know how they're handling any transferring over of characters? In TSW, I have one of each faction, but if we're only allowed 1 character in SWL, I'm debating just making a fresh character just for SWL and keeping my others all on TSW. Would this even be possible under a single account or not?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

No transfers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

No transfers.

I would've thought there would be since they're offering a paid service to reserve character names.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I would've thought there would be since they're offering a paid service to reserve character names.

NO way you gotta start the grind all over again baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
All that xfers is some cosmetics. Also, there hasn't really been a headstart email. There has been an end of beta email that said more details on 22nd. More details have yet to come.