Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing in the Steele dossier has been proven as false, right? In fact, as more information gets released, parts of it have only been proven true?

Even if the pee tape never gets released - probably won't - it's safe to say it exists simply because everything else surrounding it is being proven accurate.

Dog Donation (NOT A TAX):

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Guys, what if Barron is reading this thread right now? Y'all would feel pretty drat salty.

Good I hope he saw my post wishing his own father would kill him.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Wall Street Journal has fired the chief foreign affairs correspondent because of entanglement in arms dealing.

What does the WSJ have against Capitalism?

Taiko
Jul 13, 2006
If Putin's smart, then if the pee tape is real, but the sex workers in it are underage. It will be illegal to view or share, and the only people to see it will be House and Senate IC members. The Democrats will say "holy poo poo, it's real and it's horrifying" and the Republicans will say "It is unclear what is depicted in this horrible tape, but it is clearly not the President".

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GriffX posted:

If Putin's smart, then if the pee tape is real, but the sex workers in it are underage. It will be illegal to view or share, and the only people to see it will be House and Senate IC members. The Democrats will say "holy poo poo, it's real and it's horrifying" and the Republicans will say "It is unclear what is depicted in this horrible tape, but it is clearly not the President".

*trump grins at the camera, holds up driver's license and passport, turns and jumps into piss puddled bed*

Republicans: "we just can't be sure who that is. It's probably a liberal."

just kidding trump doesn't have a driver's license lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

GriffX posted:

Those hookers are long dead, no one will ever be able to prove how old they were.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

mcmagic posted:

Bad comparison. The house race in 2016 was not even contested.
Good point, I didn't know that. Here's a list of Price's elections for a better comparison. I could only find information on his campaigns; apparently nobody cares how much losers spend.

2004: unopposed

2006: 44.8% lead
Tom Price (R) 72.4%, raised $1,921,854, spent $1,788,688
Steve Sinton (D) 27.6%

2008: 37% lead
Tom Price (R) 68.5%, raised $1,603,701, spent $1,337,038
Bill Jones (D) 31.5%

2010, unopposed, raised $2,070,230, spent $1,218,835

2012: 29.2%
Tom Price (R) 64.6%, raised $2,341,155, spent $1,779,246
Jeff Kazanow (D) 35.4%

2014: 32%
Tom Price (R) 66.0%, raised $2,403,022, spent $1,724,935
Bob Montigel (D) 34.0%

Ah, "throw money at it." The most Republican of solutions.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
trump to interview with a fox (employed) person tomorrow

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/877621346733367296

here's to more self-incrimination

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

Nothing in the Steele dossier has been proven as false, right? In fact, as more information gets released, parts of it have only been proven true?

Even if the pee tape never gets released - probably won't - it's safe to say it exists simply because everything else surrounding it is being proven accurate.

Yeah, Rosneft-19 basically solidified it for me. That dossier was compiled in late 2016, leaked in December 2016, and the Rosneft-19 sale actually happened in January 2017.

Even if you don't believe my dig-up on Schwarzman being the recipient, that's pretty dirty on its face.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you had to choose one tape to be publicly available:
1. pee tape
2. Comey tape

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Reik posted:

1. pee tape
2. Comey tape

Oh god, pee tape and it's not even close.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of want the pee tape never to surface, but rather have the specter of it hang over Trump forever. This is a man who made wild accusations and led the birther movement, so for him to have something like the existence of the tape constantly undermine him feels like karma.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Reik posted:

1. pee tape
2. Comey tape

Pee tape by a loving mile, even assuming that the Comey tape actually exists. Evidence of Russian leverage over the President is probably about as big a deal as actually making an illegal order, and icky pee pee sex work is much more likely to rattle his voters.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Reik posted:

1. pee tape
2. Comey tape

i can't cum to the comey tape

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Madkal posted:

I kind of want the pee tape never to surface, but rather have the specter of it hang over Trump forever. This is a man who made wild accusations and led the birther movement, so for him to have something like the existence of the tape constantly undermine him feels like karma.

The only thing I want more than the Pee tape to come out is for incontrovertible proof that Trump was born in Kenya.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

pee tape for me tape

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Reik posted:

1. pee tape
2. Comey tape

pee tape.

The Comey tape won't actually do anything because people would go "well, who cares, he didn't come right out and say 'I want you to end the Russia investigation, and if you don't I'll fire you'". Failing that, they'll fall back on the argument, which they are actually using, that Trump is too dumb and clueless to know that what he was doing was illegal.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm just looking for ever-more exotic crankin' material. Don't come much wilder than the President getting drenched.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

Pee tape by a loving mile, even assuming that the Comey tape actually exists. Evidence of Russian leverage over the President is probably about as big a deal as actually making an illegal order, and icky pee pee sex work is much more likely to rattle his voters.
it's more likely they drink piss in public in solidarity

which, admittedly, will be really funny

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I see everyone is still healthy and sane in this thread.

Anyone in Virginia gearing up for the state fight? Apparently Northam has finally admitted "oh poo poo, I don't know what I'm talking about in labor issues" and is hammering out policy with the state AFL. If you want to feel better about things, come and fight this fall. It's a winnable war.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Alter Ego posted:

Yes, let's buckle to pressure because Republicans *gasp* don't like Nancy Pelosi.

almost nobody likes her. She has more unpopular polling numbers than Hillary clinton.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Hellblazer187 posted:

But looking at the average swing in special elections since Trump took office, this is still consistent with a Dem takeover.
Going by some of the comments in thread Dems only had a +4 turnout vs previous elections for that area though. That is good but not really indicative of a Dem takeover of the House of Reps much less both halves of Congress from what I understand. And that the much mentioned +8 number only means its somewhat possible for Dems to get the House of Reps. It doesn't guarantee it or even make it particularly likely either. Only possible.

From what I remember the guy (Jankowski) who did the GOP's successful gerrymandering program, REDMAP, figured that the Democrats would need something like a +10-11 advantage to take back the Congress. Its been a while though and maybe the numbers are wrong now, or he is just full of BS (I hope), but maybe not. I believe he also said that the demographics wouldn't be enough alone to guarantee the Republicans a loss of control of Congress until something like the late 2020's or even early 2030's. They'd have to "underperform" to some extent for Dems to have a chance at getting control earlier.

Trump and this poo poo grade Repub controlled Congress might possibly be bad enough to get the party to underperform enough to keep Repub voters at home and make it happen in 2018 but it seems to me to be very far from a done deal or even a likely one. To even assume its possible might be assuming too much right now IMO.

I think this is the article, seems to have most of the information on the guy: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/gops-house-seats-are-safe-heres-why.html

I don't think people should Arzy or whatever, I don't think I'm being pessimistic, but some more pragmatism and realism grounded in reality and facts (or as close as we can get when it comes to this sort of thing) instead of false hopes or unfounded optimism would be much more welcome to me right now.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ah, the Tim Kaine approach. It's very successful, I hear.

More like the Bernie Sanders or Jeremy Corbyn approach.

But what do I know. Run Pelosi in 2020. I'm sure it will work smashingly.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

almost nobody likes her. She has more unpopular polling numbers than Hillary clinton.

Her district keeps electing her, and that's really all that matters. No one is suggesting we run her in 2020. If you want her gone, move to her district and convince someone to run against her.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

That is accurate, D+8 would mean a tossup on who controls the house, and anything above D+10, a lot of gerrymandered seats that are barely hanging on suddenly fall apart and control is almost guaranteed.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Alter Ego posted:

Her district keeps electing her, and that's really all that matters. No one is suggesting we run her in 2020. If you want her gone, move to her district and convince someone to run against her.

Just because she wins election in her district does not mean she should be minority leader.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

i can't cum to the comey tape

Sounds like a personal issue to me.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Do we have a timeline for the SCOTUS hearing the gerrymandering case? If they uphold that Wisconsin was too gerrymandered, would that even be early enough to affect the 2018 elections?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pelosi is just a boogeyman if she didn't exist they would pick someone else to target, do you think any of the reasons they hate her has anything to do with things she has actually done?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Just because she wins election in her district does not mean she should be minority leader.

She is not significantly impacting elections outside her district. The GOP thinks maybe it'll make their base more excited to vote, but no one else cares. If the minority leader is a boring old white guy, it won't make a real difference for elections in other states.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ta daaa

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/877625950053249025

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

mcmagic posted:

Not everyone is equally easy to demonize though.

Obama was probably the cleanest politician in American history and they still went after him 24/7/365.25, just like they did with Bill Clinton even though Bill was little more than Republican light, they still went after him like he was Marx reincarnate.

In my opinion the most important thing for the left to do is to STOP BUYING INTO REPUBLICAN TALKING POINTS.

No they don't have a point. They are the enemy, they are not a credible source. They have a vested interest in destroying any Democrat because their own ideas are poo poo thus their only option is character assassination of the left.

They voted for a con man who admitted to and glorified sexual assault, who has shown a blatant disregard for the Constitution. An admitted draft dodging, serial adulterer, misogynist with a history of lovely business deals, crookedness and probably at least financially compromised by a hostile state. Do you really believe that care in the slightest about the criticism they level at Democrats? Do you really think that even if we ran a squeaky clean ideologically pure candidate of your dreams they wouldn't just make poo poo up?

Kind of like they did with Obama and the whole birtherism bullshit? They spent millions of dollars and countless man hours investigating the Clinton's and in the end the worst thing they managed to dig up on them both was that Bill lied about a consensual sexual affair. That was it, he got a blow job and played hide the salami with a willing partner. Whoop de loving do.

Yet even the failure of the Star investigation to find any legitimate dirt on the Clinton's they haven't backed down on any of their smears regardless of how thoroughly they were discredited or falsified.

It literally doesn't matter who the Democrats run, The GOP is going to tar them with what ever they can even if they have to make it up from whole cloth. So stop listening to them. Stop letting the smears from the right influence you. Stop validating their bullshit.

This thread needs

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/1993/05/funs-fight/

I too am a Texas liberal, and as such I'm well practiced and adjusted to being on the losing side of a political fight. It's depressing, it's tiring and it's maddening. But the choice is between laying down and dying and making the best of it and well death will come soon enough for us all so why rush that.

Yes people are going to die, it's a sad reality of life and there is precious little that can be done about it. Welcome to life as a liberal.

Humor is the most effective weapon we have to use against the powerful, if we give that up we've already lost. Every one acts like this is the darkest of days, you think that others before you didn't feel like this? You worry about the potential losses and you forget about all of the past gains.

I'm 47 years old and if you had told me in 2006 that in two years the country would elect a black man much less one named Barack Obama, I'd have said that you were crazy. Around that same time I had to comfort a lesbian friend after prop 8 passed in California with this same reminder. Things have steadily improved for the human condition. In 1992 Danny Bonaduce got big laughs for assaulting a trans-woman.

poo poo changes, things get better, it's just not always obvious when you are in the muck. and yeah it's depressing when we lose a battle, and there are real and tragic consequences for them. But if the only thing we ever do is focus on the losses we lose the will to fight.

So find the fun in the fight.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Reik posted:

Do we have a timeline for the SCOTUS hearing the gerrymandering case? If they uphold that Wisconsin was too gerrymandered, would that even be early enough to affect the 2018 elections?

They will hear arguments in the Fall, with a decision maybe sometime in the winter or early spring.

So, if they declare extreme partisan gerrymqanders are illegal, it'd be less than a year before the election, and thats not going to be enough time to force a change in the maps outside of Wisconsin. It might impact 2020, and even then the courts might go "you are about to redistrict for 2022 anyway, so lets just wait."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

She's incredibly good at whipping votes and keeping the caucus together in the face of opposition, and you are grasping at straws. Name one reason we should remove Pelosi other than "Republicans and sexists don't like her!"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

More like the Bernie Sanders or Jeremy Corbyn approach.

But what do I know. Run Pelosi in 2020. I'm sure it will work smashingly.

Yeah man a woman would never beat Bernie or Corbyn in an election.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

She's a minority leader because she's incredibly good at it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The pee tape might not change anything politically. But solely based on the fact that Trump is desperate to deny its existence and bury it into the core of the Earth makes me want it released. It will kill him inside.

The pee tape shows that his penis is under 2 centimeters fully erect. Nothing else except this glaring physical feature scares him the most about this footage.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Madkal posted:

Someone make a clever pee tape/sword of damocles joke

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alter Ego posted:

She's incredibly good at whipping votes and keeping the caucus together in the face of opposition, and you are grasping at straws. Name one reason we should remove Pelosi other than "Republicans and sexists don't like her!"

She would be a great speaker of the house but she's a terrible opposition leader.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I see everyone is still healthy and sane in this thread.

It's nice to see.

Here's some interesting news about an alt-right bodyguard who got stabbed:

quote:

Foreman has no health insurance, and a crowdfunding effort to help him pay for his medical bills has raised more than $8,000. The page says its goal is to raise $150,000.
$11,271 as of now, and they're actually aiming at $125,000.

The article comments are all people who don't know what a hate crime is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Skex posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/1993/05/funs-fight/

poo poo changes, things get better, it's just not always obvious when you are in the muck. and yeah it's depressing when we lose a battle, and there are real and tragic consequences for them. But if the only thing we ever do is focus on the losses we lose the will to fight.

So find the fun in the fight.

This is very good advice.

• Locked thread