Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Autism Sneaks posted:

Fortunately, the patch changes this quest objective to "pass 3 Ecologist laws", which only requires keeping the Ecologists as one of the parties in power for a couple cycles.

Oh shoot, this is the Beta patch you can opt into? Guess I'll do that when I get home today then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Oh, was going to post that I'd finally found what to do with the lovely Craver systems that are a nuisance to conquer and people have just been talking about it. Here it is anyway!

Just claimed a science victory as the Riftborn on Impossible and I think I'll bump it up to Endless now that I'm familiar with all of the game systems. I had to google for a way to complete that quest and apparently before release your starting pop used to be an ecologist race rather than what you get now, but they didn't update that quest for some reason (not that it would've made it much easier anyway). If you switch to a dictatorship you can put the ecologists into power and run an infinite project in your systems to gradually build up support for the party. Kind of boring but it gets the quest done.

My favorite part about Riftborn is chain ganging all the messy biologicals or shipping them off to my lava worlds (oh you need food to live? How quaint). I initially thought it would be better to keep some of them around because having them naturally grow does help supplement your population but it usually means you have to invest in the food techs and buildings and it felt like a waste. I did keep a couple of minor civ systems after assimilating them, though.

The empire building part of this game is really interesting but I wish there was something more to combat. Right now all I do is mouse over their ships and check whether they have more short or long range deficiencies and then choose Barrage or Turtle/Shrapnel (ah who am I kidding, it's always Barrage) and that's enough to hold out against any enemy (even the never ending swarm of Craver fleets) as long as you have near tech parity. It's just a shame that you can build cool custom ships but then you don't really get to interact with them at all when fighting.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kalko posted:

My favorite part about Riftborn is chain ganging all the messy biologicals or shipping them off to my lava worlds (oh you need food to live? How quaint). I initially thought it would be better to keep some of them around because having them naturally grow does help supplement your population but it usually means you have to invest in the food techs and buildings and it felt like a waste. I did keep a couple of minor civ systems after assimilating them, though.

Ship them to systems that have a food surplus that is otherwise going to waste. If you don't have that, don't worry about it. You don't need to (and indeed should not) go out of your way to support them beyond that, and actively killing them off (other than chain-ganging when you actually need the soldiers) is wasteful.

Learning to keep your bio pops alive as long as possible without using any resources to do so isn't necessary or important as Riftborn, but it will make you better at micromanaging pops, which is an absolute must to win with Cravers. Playing Riftborn also leads to that a-ha moment when you realize that you can build pops on high-industry worlds and ship them elsewhere, then realize any civ can do that. Especially Unfallen and early-game Horatio.

I wish there was a toggle that allowed automatic migration away from full systems to nearby emptier ones. As wonky as Stellaris migration can be, it's nice to not have to think about it after a certain point.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I probably should have kept them but I'm still (possibly incorrectly) assuming that militarist pops have an outsize effect on the inevitable buildup of the militarist faction in the senate. Well, it's not that they have more of an effect than other affiliations, but every single game I've played (I've played enough to win with UE and Riftborn now) always features a big militarist shift towards the midgame whether I go on the offensive or not.

Even if you're trying to be peaceful, defending yourself from swarms of enemy fleets is enough to ratchet up support for the militarists such that it's always that faction and your starting faction vying for power, and most of the time that lovely Jingoist Joy Bill gets forced in. I think the amount of militarist support from the various actions needs to be nerfed because yeah, every game plays out the same way. I'm assuming this game is like Civ where if you don't keep a standing army for deterrence the enemies are more likely to declare on you, but even building fleets for that purpose generates a lot of militarist support.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Kalko posted:

Yeah I probably should have kept them but I'm still (possibly incorrectly) assuming that militarist pops have an outsize effect on the inevitable buildup of the militarist faction in the senate. Well, it's not that they have more of an effect than other affiliations, but every single game I've played (I've played enough to win with UE and Riftborn now) always features a big militarist shift towards the midgame whether I go on the offensive or not.

Even if you're trying to be peaceful, defending yourself from swarms of enemy fleets is enough to ratchet up support for the militarists such that it's always that faction and your starting faction vying for power, and most of the time that lovely Jingoist Joy Bill gets forced in. I think the amount of militarist support from the various actions needs to be nerfed because yeah, every game plays out the same way. I'm assuming this game is like Civ where if you don't keep a standing army for deterrence the enemies are more likely to declare on you, but even building fleets for that purpose generates a lot of militarist support.

Sounds like it's working as intended tbh. Being faced with external threats causes people to turn to the military for protection.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly I don't think you're meant to have all that much control over the politics of your people. It's supposed to be something you deal with, not something you control.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They took back control and you have to provide the strong and stable government. :v:

Working through the Craver quest line currently in this game, it goes a pretty cool direction but I think the Riftborn one was way more interesting.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Sounds like it's working as intended tbh. Being faced with external threats causes people to turn to the military for protection.

Oh yeah it makes sense and I don't have a problem with it in theory, just that it ramps up way too fast so that pretty much every single game plays out the same where your senate is always comprised of the militarists and your starting faction. It would be a lot more interesting if there were other events or actions that had similarly strong effects so that your decisions about what to build or what path to victory to pursue were more meaningful.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Autism Sneaks posted:

Fortunately, the patch changes this quest objective to "pass 3 Ecologist laws", which only requires keeping the Ecologists as one of the parties in power for a couple cycles.

Guess this is bugged or maybe it's more than 3 laws, getting dummy placeholder text for the number and I have 3 laws active and it didn't advance. It's a beta patch afterall :v:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Beta patch may be different, I just updated the other day and in the release build it ended up being 1 Ecologist law :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Might be based on the game speed or size of universe. But either way, even with the release patch it seems to be broken for me, I'm guessing because I already had the quest in progress. Just has dummy text for the quest amount.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So how exactly does the wonder victory work this time?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Speedball posted:

So how exactly does the wonder victory work this time?

You unlock the wonder structure after reaching the last tier of the Empire Development science quadrant. Then build 3 of them to win.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Generic Octopus posted:

You unlock the wonder structure after reaching the last tier of the Empire Development science quadrant. Then build 3 of them to win.

Four in a bigger galaxy. The structures also require all of the strategic resources at copious quantities so if you're planning for that, colonize accordingly.

Honestly if you have the infrastructure to do it, you have the infrastructure to do science or economical and it'll take less time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Interesting, when I was going for an Economic victory, I got into a big alliance with several galactic powers. I noticed that with the alliance, we had a shared victory option, but the total sum of Dust we needed to win went way up too. So i kinda had to pull everyone along while I made more money than god.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

For system upgrades that give +X FIDS "per luxury/strategic deposit", does an average (3) deposit give X or 3*X?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
X, pretty sure. It's not 3 deposits, it's a single deposit that has a size of 3.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The Endless Space 2 OST is now on Spotify

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hot drat. Trying United Empire after playing Sophons makes you realize how weak the Sophons are in comparison, you can build so much so quickly with the Imperials that it isn't even funny.

Are the Sophons really this weak in the campaign or is just lack of experience with the tech-tree that makes it hard to leverage their advantage?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

ZearothK posted:

Hot drat. Trying United Empire after playing Sophons makes you realize how weak the Sophons are in comparison, you can build so much so quickly with the Imperials that it isn't even funny.

Are the Sophons really this weak in the campaign or is just lack of experience with the tech-tree that makes it hard to leverage their advantage?

No, in general the Sophons are just kind of "eh" gameplay wise. All their science doesn't mean jackshit because they can't apply it.

Shame really, their main quest is hilarious.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ZearothK posted:

The UE influence buyout is really good, but it's an advantage they have over everyone, not just Sophons. Is it better than researching everything at 25-75% off? Maybe?

It's hard to get a good sense since the AI is functionally braindead and games take way too long for anyone to get a good sample size, but the only race that stands out to me as 'competitively weak' is the Vodyani, and only because they're prone to getting completely hosed over by a bad start (but if they don't, they're fine).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The United Empire is pretty rad. They get influence to spare on everything, so the zones around their systems become HUGE. The fact that their ships are about one step away from being Warhammer 40K monstrosities is a bonus. I love that their quest lets you retool their main bonuses if you so desire, too.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

There's a dev stream about the next update going up tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/877191982581460992

New quest line and hero perhaps?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
This will probably be very unbalanced, start on the other end of the galaxy against me and surrounded by 3 AIs: 2 of which are hostile and 1 that is peaceful until it figures out I have resource planets, then turns hostile.

... and the art will be amazing.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

No, in general the Sophons are just kind of "eh" gameplay wise. All their science doesn't mean jackshit because they can't apply it.

Shame really, their main quest is hilarious.

You really have to push industry before science, in order to keep the buildings going up fast

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
In my Sophon win I ended up conquering some Rift guys planets and it was kinda funny to see all those science buildings that my took my capital between 5 and 10 turns to produce get done one building per turn on the planets I took. By the end of the game my most awesome systems were those I took from my enemies rather than my "core" sophon planets.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Overminty posted:

There's a dev stream about the next update going up tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/877191982581460992

New quest line and hero perhaps?

Fighters and Bombers have been confirmed earlier to be in the first major update.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's been a few Virtual Endless popping up here and there; I guess as energy beings they'd be more resistant to extinction than guys with mortal bodies like the Concretes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Speedball posted:

There's been a few Virtual Endless popping up here and there; I guess as energy beings they'd be more resistant to extinction than guys with mortal bodies like the Concretes.

Also they're tied into the backstory of two of the current major factions, plus the ending of the main overarching story event.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Speedball posted:

There were also a few concretes in ES1, the most prominent being a lovely corp/adventurer hero iirc.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Speedball posted:

So... Netflix vs. Blockbuster?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Patch is out, there's a whole lotta notes http://steamcommunity.com/games/392110/announcements/detail/1340233436568317091

New special node Neutron Star (+Science, +Influence per pop of controlling system), 2 new unique planets, 2 new heroes Tiaych Zhilleaq and Koros Apogee (I want to say this is a return from the first game) and new unique anomalies on Auriga and Bilgeli are the new additions.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

quote:

Fixed an issue where the AI was stopping colonizing systems at some point

Maybe this explains why the galaxy always seemed so sparse. There was always one AI who would expand pretty aggressively, but the other two for me would just do like 5-8 stars and just stop.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wondering, combat still gives practically zero xp.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

playing around a bit with the new patch on my old save. its a lot faster in late game, still not exactly speedy but it doesn't make me want to kill myself. also the ai seems a lot smarter

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Huh, I don't know of I just didn't know this before, but the movement AI will factor in the location of Fold singularities (the ones that refresh movement points among other things) when calculating a route that will leave your fleet with the most movement points, even if it isn't the shortest route.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Change not in notes: custom factions are limited to 8 traits now, each level of multi level traits counts individually. Some people are having trouble loading saves with custom factions with more than 8 traits.

Pedestrian Xing fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 22, 2017

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I haven't played for a week or so after easily winning the third game I tried on Endless (a Sophon science victory). I'm not sure what I want out of the AI exactly but I guess the classic Civ style tech and production bonuses would make sense. I don't think the AI will ever understand combat very well but I have had a few games where I was forced to use lower tech fleets against swarms of enemies and it felt like my tactics decisions actually mattered.

Maybe they could make strategic resources more scarce for the player somehow? Getting by with a limited number of powerful ships might be interesting, though micromanaging your fleets could become tedious. I really wish there was more to combat than just smashing two fleets together but I'm not really sure what they could do without a complete system redesign.

The patch notes mentioned something about demands being calculated differently now. I experimented with them a bit in the past but no matter how powerful or influential I was with an enemy I couldn't get them to accede to even really minor demands like a few hundred dust or some manpower. Is there a trick to getting it to work or was the system just not working properly?

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
One thing I really like about Amplitude is that unlike many small studios, they (in the past) keep plugging away at issues until the final game was polished and stuffed with post-launch content. EL in its final form is a gem, even if the playstyle isn't your jam. I think Amplitude has ruined the Civ series for me, I can never go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It seems the patch added a bug where zooming in on Tor will cause your game to enter a kind of soft-freeze you need to reload to clear :v At least now the Prime-class doesn't break the game when you watch it in space combat!