Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure 70% of the population still doesn't know that "obamacare" and "the affordable care act" are the same thing so it's not exactly hard :sigh:

A frightening number of people think "Obamacare" was just free healthcare for black people. Like, I don't think it's a lot of people, but it's also not zero so :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Future idiots: "I was struggling when Obamacare took away my healthcare, but then Trump got elected and I got an plan on the state exchange website! But then the Democrats kept voting against healthcare so my prices went up! So I'm voting Republican until I die!"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

Future idiots: "I was struggling when Obamacare took away my healthcare, but then Trump got elected and I got an plan on the state exchange website! But then the Democrats kept voting against healthcare so my prices went up! So I'm voting Republican until I die!"

Which won't take long at all without actual access to healthcare! Win-win!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Stop, this is too accurate. You're bumming me out.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I like when people try to explain to me what they do and don't like about government intervention in healthcare.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I like when people try to explain to me what they do and don't like about government intervention in healthcare.
"I like it when I am given things and I do not like when other people are given things." - a historical account of human suffering.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

A frightening number of people think "Obamacare" was just free healthcare for black people. Like, I don't think it's a lot of people, but it's also not zero so :eng99:

A decent amount of people I know in various EU countries think that Obamacare is proper socialized healthcare. Or maybe not anymore now that Bernie happened.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I like when the BWM thread is about stories of horse ownership and bad decisions and not political discourse.

Content: was just told by a coworker that I'm dumb for contributing to my 401k at my age because I could get better returns by buying bitcoin instead. I nodded and smiled while he ate his lunch that he always buys from the nearby cafe for $10-15 a pop daily.

He's sending me articles on how it'll take over soon and fiat currency is in its death throes later today. I'd tell him to pound sand but said coworker is also my best lead developer on my software projects so I have to entertain these dumb time waster conversations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I went to a wedding last weekend. At Disneyland.

It was pretty standard fare for the most part, though we could tell that doing it at Disney and being forced to use a lot of their in-house services probably added an extra digit to the cost of everything.

That is, until the bride's carriage arrived...

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

To be perfectly honest, that seems like it would be an incredible amount of fun, and that picture is absolutely incredible. Hope you had a good time.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I want a pumpkin chariot like that just for my morning commute.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I am a "get married in a ditch with a possum as your officiant" type and that carriage looks fun as hell. Omg the idiot horse is even looking at the camera :3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Teeter posted:

It was pretty standard fare for the most part, though we could tell that doing it at Disney and being forced to use a lot of their in-house services probably added an extra digit to the cost of everything.

Do they just do those early in the morning before the theme park rabble shows up?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Teeter posted:

i wonder how much the "jack black dressed as a dandy" addition costs

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's awesome. If they could afford that, then good for them. Now if they put it all on 4 different credit cards or took out a second mortgage to fund it because "You only get married once! Do it BIIIIG!"....then we can go to town on them.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

canyoneer posted:

Do they just do those early in the morning before the theme park rabble shows up?

It was actually at the Disneyland hotel, adjacent to the park itself, though I did notice a crowd of like 20 tourists in swimsuits trying to peer into the rose garden wedding area after the horse trotted up.

I have no clue about any of the financials but now I'm curious. It's a coworker so I'll update this thread if any BWM gems pop up after the honeymoon.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NancyPants posted:

I am a "get married in a ditch with a possum as your officiant" type and that carriage looks fun as hell. Omg the idiot horse is even looking at the camera :3:

Sorry, that is the Snow White package. This is the Cinderella package. You have to pick.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've always politely declined invitations from co-workers to their weddings unless we were actually friends outside of work. Sitting at a table with all your other coworkers surrounded by their family just feels weird to me. I don't think I'd even consider inviting any of my co-workers if I was getting married.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You just need to work somewhere with such a lovely work life balance that your only friends are your coworkers.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

i wonder how much the "jack black dressed as a dandy" addition costs

$2950 for two hours.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm not ameican but I thought one of the features of parent plus loans was that it is solely in the name of parents and the children are not responsible for it? Unless there's a million-dollar-plus inheritance that'll go away if she tells her parents to get hosed, ain't no relative who act like that is worth that much money.

fakedit: welcome back tb!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Better make it a super short service so you can actually get a quicky in before your carriage turns into another $2950.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I've always found the whole wedding princess trope a little weird, but I feel like a lot of people really go for that.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ilujy/the_family_dog_surgery_or_alternatives/

quote:

My 12 year old cat was diagnosed with cancer, a localized case of ocular lymphoma. Between the surgery to remove the tumor, the radiation therapy, and all the tests, it cost over $5000 and there's no guarantee the cancer won't return or she'll have a longer life. I barely make enough to live, i have other debts, and this would be a burden on me.
I got a carecredit card to pay for it and I don't make much so i'll be paying this off for years.

I know it's hard to put a pet down, but borrowing $5k for a cat that's going to die of old age in 6 months anyway is just not a good decision

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I've always found the whole wedding princess trope a little weird, but I feel like a lot of people really go for that.

My future fiancee is going to be treated like a princess on her wedding day.

There will be a last minute change of plan, and she will be married off to someone else in order to secure an alliance with Prussia.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Honestly, those prices are not really insane compared to what you generally pay to cobble together a wedding vendor by vendor in a high COL area and apparently it comes with a full service wedding planner. Everything they include for the prices listed such as lighting, dance floors, tables, linens, etc is really expensive to rent and their prices for professional musicians and stuff is pretty average. The food is expensive unless that is an allowance for an entire event including poo poo like rehearsal.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 21, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, that's a tough one. From outside it's easy to say it's bad with money, but I can't fault someone for dropping a bunch of money on an animal they love. My buddy just spent $10k trying to keep his dog alive after it got bone cancer in it's leg. She lived through the surgeries, but died a few months later. It wasn't an official "sympathy dog" or anything like that, but he got her after he got back from Afghanistan and she was with him through his divorce and all sorts of stuff. He could afford that though.

The big problem with the other dude is he's gonna have to pay it off for years and that's gonna remind him of his animal dying every month.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Guest2553 posted:

I'm not ameican but I thought one of the features of parent plus loans was that it is solely in the name of parents and the children are not responsible for it? Unless there's a million-dollar-plus inheritance that'll go away if she tells her parents to get hosed, ain't no relative who act like that is worth that much money.

fakedit: welcome back tb!

Thanks! :buddy:

I missed you most of all, Guest2553

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh, that's a tough one. From outside it's easy to say it's bad with money, but I can't fault someone for dropping a bunch of money on an animal they love. My buddy just spent $10k trying to keep his dog alive after it got bone cancer in it's leg. She lived through the surgeries, but died a few months later. It wasn't an official "sympathy dog" or anything like that, but he got her after he got back from Afghanistan and she was with him through his divorce and all sorts of stuff. He could afford that though.

The big problem with the other dude is he's gonna have to pay it off for years and that's gonna remind him of his animal dying every month.

Yeah maybe I am a callous rear end in a top hat but as someone who grew up with and absolutely adores animals of all kinds, there is no way in poo poo I'd spend 10k on a pupper with cancer

Granted, you mentioned he could afford it but five figures is a boatload of money to toss at a problem that may or may not leave you exactly where you were 10k ago

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ilujy/the_family_dog_surgery_or_alternatives/

I know it's hard to put a pet down, but borrowing $5k for a cat that's going to die of old age in 6 months anyway is just not a good decision

Cats live to be much older than 12. Especially indoor ones. I have a 14 year old that is in perfect health.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Yeah maybe I am a callous rear end in a top hat but as someone who grew up with and absolutely adores animals of all kinds, there is no way in poo poo I'd spend 10k on a pupper with cancer

Granted, you mentioned he could afford it but five figures is a boatload of money to toss at a problem that may or may not leave you exactly where you were 10k ago

I have a friend who is a management consultant who is completely broke living paycheck to paycheck treating an older dog for lung cancer. I would not ruin my own life financially to give my dog another year or so to live.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Wasn't sure whether to post this in this thread or the schadenfreude thread...

https://twitter.com/StockTwits/status/877621142734778368

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

Cats live to be much older than 12. Especially indoor ones. I have a 14 year old that is in perfect health.

Yeah but then you have to pay for their food, throwing good money after bad.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Dillbag posted:

Coinbase has, hilariously, taken their whole ETH exchange offline.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Can I get an IV drip of this please.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Dillbag posted:

Sweet, time be GWM and pick up a used graphics card on the cheap

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Wait, do I understand what's happening here? Did these people have positions to sell all of their ether if the price dropped below a certain point, the price flash-crashed, so everybody's stock got liquidated for basically nothing, and then the price of ethereum bounced back up to what it was before, and now they have nothing?

Holy poo poo.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coca Koala posted:

Wait, do I understand what's happening here? Did these people have positions to sell all of their ether if the price dropped below a certain point, the price flash-crashed, so everybody's stock got liquidated for basically nothing, and then the price of ethereum bounced back up to what it was before, and now they have nothing?

Holy poo poo.

Algo trading 101 if so. Stop loss orders aren't great ideas on high volatility instruments.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
It bounced right back.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/ethereum-price-flash-crash-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The really BWM part is paying with CareCredit--the card has a 6 or 12 month interest-free period, but if you still have a balance at the end of that (and it sounds like this person is planning on that being the case) the interest applies to the original balance. IIRC, the interest rate is 26%.