Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mcmagic posted:

She would be a great speaker of the house but she's a terrible opposition leader.

can you make an argument here or something or are you relegated to declarative statements without any backbone

also paul ryan is 'a cuck'

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/877630785804566528

skylined! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Lemming posted:

Someone make a clever pee tape/sword of damocles joke

a garbage bag full of piss forever hovering over trump's head

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah man a woman would never beat Bernie or Corbyn in an election.

She's a minority leader because she's incredibly good at it.

It's possible that the guy arguing for deposing Nancy Pelosi based on shithead hysteria is not arguing in good faith, and in fact does not on most topics in this subforum.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Rigel posted:

She is not significantly impacting elections outside her district. The GOP thinks maybe it'll make their base more excited to vote, but no one else cares. If the minority leader is a boring old white guy, it won't make a real difference for elections in other states.

Last night someone posted a tweet feed about Hassan harping on Pelosi in her campaign against Ossoff and that being one of the central themes of her win then said "Democrats should be thinking this is all too eerily similar to the 2010 midterms."

I tend to agree. If the go to attack for the GOP in the midterms is Pelosi they will win 2018.

Our strategy should be just as much about motivating our turn out as depressing GOP turnout. Putting in a leader they don't all hate with a utter burning passion may be a good idea.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

a garbage bag full of piss forever hovering over trump's head

You're not supposed to want the sword to fall

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Skex posted:

Obama was probably the cleanest politician in American history and they still went after him 24/7/365.25, just like they did with Bill Clinton even though Bill was little more than Republican light, they still went after him like he was Marx reincarnate.

In my opinion the most important thing for the left to do is to STOP BUYING INTO REPUBLICAN TALKING POINTS.

No they don't have a point. They are the enemy, they are not a credible source. They have a vested interest in destroying any Democrat because their own ideas are poo poo thus their only option is character assassination of the left.

They voted for a con man who admitted to and glorified sexual assault, who has shown a blatant disregard for the Constitution. An admitted draft dodging, serial adulterer, misogynist with a history of lovely business deals, crookedness and probably at least financially compromised by a hostile state. Do you really believe that care in the slightest about the criticism they level at Democrats? Do you really think that even if we ran a squeaky clean ideologically pure candidate of your dreams they wouldn't just make poo poo up?

Kind of like they did with Obama and the whole birtherism bullshit? They spent millions of dollars and countless man hours investigating the Clinton's and in the end the worst thing they managed to dig up on them both was that Bill lied about a consensual sexual affair. That was it, he got a blow job and played hide the salami with a willing partner. Whoop de loving do.

Yet even the failure of the Star investigation to find any legitimate dirt on the Clinton's they haven't backed down on any of their smears regardless of how thoroughly they were discredited or falsified.

It literally doesn't matter who the Democrats run, The GOP is going to tar them with what ever they can even if they have to make it up from whole cloth. So stop listening to them. Stop letting the smears from the right influence you. Stop validating their bullshit.

This thread needs

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/1993/05/funs-fight/

I too am a Texas liberal, and as such I'm well practiced and adjusted to being on the losing side of a political fight. It's depressing, it's tiring and it's maddening. But the choice is between laying down and dying and making the best of it and well death will come soon enough for us all so why rush that.

Yes people are going to die, it's a sad reality of life and there is precious little that can be done about it. Welcome to life as a liberal.

Humor is the most effective weapon we have to use against the powerful, if we give that up we've already lost. Every one acts like this is the darkest of days, you think that others before you didn't feel like this? You worry about the potential losses and you forget about all of the past gains.

I'm 47 years old and if you had told me in 2006 that in two years the country would elect a black man much less one named Barack Obama, I'd have said that you were crazy. Around that same time I had to comfort a lesbian friend after prop 8 passed in California with this same reminder. Things have steadily improved for the human condition. In 1992 Danny Bonaduce got big laughs for assaulting a trans-woman.

poo poo changes, things get better, it's just not always obvious when you are in the muck. and yeah it's depressing when we lose a battle, and there are real and tragic consequences for them. But if the only thing we ever do is focus on the losses we lose the will to fight.

So find the fun in the fight.

I want to frame this post.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/877334215414566917

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/877334395643846657

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/877334913619378176

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Going by some of the comments in thread Dems only had a +4 turnout vs previous elections for that area though. That is good but not really indicative of a Dem takeover of the House of Reps much less both halves of Congress from what I understand. And that the much mentioned +8 number only means its somewhat possible for Dems to get the House of Reps. It doesn't guarantee it or even make it particularly likely either. Only possible.

From what I remember the guy (Jankowski) who did the GOP's successful gerrymandering program, REDMAP, figured that the Democrats would need something like a +10-11 advantage to take back the Congress. Its been a while though and maybe the numbers are wrong now, or he is just full of BS (I hope), but maybe not. I believe he also said that the demographics wouldn't be enough alone to guarantee the Republicans a loss of control of Congress until something like the late 2020's or even early 2030's. They'd have to "underperform" to some extent for Dems to have a chance at getting control earlier.

Trump and this poo poo grade Repub controlled Congress might possibly be bad enough to get the party to underperform enough to keep Repub voters at home and make it happen in 2018 but it seems to me to be very far from a done deal or even a likely one. To even assume its possible might be assuming too much right now IMO.

I think this is the article, seems to have most of the information on the guy: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/gops-house-seats-are-safe-heres-why.html

I don't think people should Arzy or whatever, I don't think I'm being pessimistic, but some more pragmatism and realism grounded in reality and facts (or as close as we can get when it comes to this sort of thing) instead of false hopes or unfounded optimism would be much more welcome to me right now.

I'd disagree with those comments. Compared to every result in that district over the past 8 years except one, this represents a swing of at least 15 points. It's a deep, deep red district that just doesn't like Trump that much. But OK, call the GA-6 swing 4 points, and average it in to the rest. We're still in 10+ point territory.

Each year the 2010 gerrymander gets older, the less potent it is. So, it may have been 10-11 in 2010, but it's probably 7-8 now or less.

I think a takeover is likely. But you know, I'm going to do the exact same thing I'd do even if it wasn't likely, which is the same thing I've done in every election since I turned 18, which is just loving vote. An optimistic vote counts exactly as much as a pessimistic one.

Here's Nate from February saying it's very possible but don't count your chickens.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-very-early-look-at-the-battle-for-the-house-in-2018/

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Remember the Speaker of the House doesn't have to be an elected Representative so if the Dems take the House in 2018 I suggest nominating Joe Manchin.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/republicans-turned-to-nancy-pelosi-to-win-in-georgia/article/2626587

Please, let's keep Pelosi..

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

If Pelosi is popular with Democrats, keep Pelosi. If she isn't, get rid of her. Focus only on what the base cares about, because the entire game is turning out your base.

Do not consider what any Republicans think for even a second because they are insane and will easily find someone new to hate.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Republicans are the enemy, their opinions are poo poo.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

If Pelosi is popular with Democrats, keep Pelosi. If she isn't, get rid of her. Focus only on what the base cares about, because the entire game is turning out your base.

Do not consider what any Republicans think for even a second because they are insane and will easily find someone new to hate.

Pelosi does not connect with the working class which is a major part of the base we are trying to court. I think it's really clear.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If we're replacing Pelosi I'd like to nominate Chancellor Martok.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/star-trek-actor-played-klingon-running-congress-ny-article-1.3247055

quote:

Actor J.G. Hertzler, famous for playing Klingon General Martok on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," is hoping to set his phaser to "stunning upset" by defeating incumbent Rep. Tom Reed in New York's 23rd District this November.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

trickybiscuits posted:

It's nice to see.

Here's some interesting news about an alt-right bodyguard who got stabbed:

$11,271 as of now, and they're actually aiming at $125,000.

The article comments are all people who don't know what a hate crime is.

There was a comic called Prez that came out a year or two back and it was a satirical look at American politics. One of the gags was the idea of "Sickstarter", a website that helps you raise money for medical bills. It was done as satire. This is where America seems to be heading now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Pelosi does not connect with the working class which is a major part of the base we are trying to court. I think it's really clear.

as negotiations stall in this thread, perhaps you should go talk to tom perez directly

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Skex posted:

Obama was probably the cleanest politician in American history and they still went after him 24/7/365.25, just like they did with Bill Clinton even though Bill was little more than Republican light, they still went after him like he was Marx reincarnate.

In my opinion the most important thing for the left to do is to STOP BUYING INTO REPUBLICAN TALKING POINTS.

No they don't have a point. They are the enemy, they are not a credible source. They have a vested interest in destroying any Democrat because their own ideas are poo poo thus their only option is character assassination of the left.

They voted for a con man who admitted to and glorified sexual assault, who has shown a blatant disregard for the Constitution. An admitted draft dodging, serial adulterer, misogynist with a history of lovely business deals, crookedness and probably at least financially compromised by a hostile state. Do you really believe that care in the slightest about the criticism they level at Democrats? Do you really think that even if we ran a squeaky clean ideologically pure candidate of your dreams they wouldn't just make poo poo up?

Kind of like they did with Obama and the whole birtherism bullshit? They spent millions of dollars and countless man hours investigating the Clinton's and in the end the worst thing they managed to dig up on them both was that Bill lied about a consensual sexual affair. That was it, he got a blow job and played hide the salami with a willing partner. Whoop de loving do.

Yet even the failure of the Star investigation to find any legitimate dirt on the Clinton's they haven't backed down on any of their smears regardless of how thoroughly they were discredited or falsified.

It literally doesn't matter who the Democrats run, The GOP is going to tar them with what ever they can even if they have to make it up from whole cloth. So stop listening to them. Stop letting the smears from the right influence you. Stop validating their bullshit.

This thread needs

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/1993/05/funs-fight/

I too am a Texas liberal, and as such I'm well practiced and adjusted to being on the losing side of a political fight. It's depressing, it's tiring and it's maddening. But the choice is between laying down and dying and making the best of it and well death will come soon enough for us all so why rush that.

Yes people are going to die, it's a sad reality of life and there is precious little that can be done about it. Welcome to life as a liberal.

Humor is the most effective weapon we have to use against the powerful, if we give that up we've already lost. Every one acts like this is the darkest of days, you think that others before you didn't feel like this? You worry about the potential losses and you forget about all of the past gains.

I'm 47 years old and if you had told me in 2006 that in two years the country would elect a black man much less one named Barack Obama, I'd have said that you were crazy. Around that same time I had to comfort a lesbian friend after prop 8 passed in California with this same reminder. Things have steadily improved for the human condition. In 1992 Danny Bonaduce got big laughs for assaulting a trans-woman.

poo poo changes, things get better, it's just not always obvious when you are in the muck. and yeah it's depressing when we lose a battle, and there are real and tragic consequences for them. But if the only thing we ever do is focus on the losses we lose the will to fight.

So find the fun in the fight.
So loving true. The Democrats must realize that the Republicans are not interested in compromise but have declared all-out war on them. Remember that whole dumb birth certificate thing? That's a sign that the Republicans couldn't find anything embarrassing in Obama's past so they resorted to making poo poo up. Obama was squeaky clean. And now Republicans are debasing themselves defending one of the most depraved Presidents in US history.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

When you play a competitive game do you also take tactical advice from your opponent?

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason the GOP has turned Pelosi into their boogie woman is precisely because she is good at her job? And that by buying into their bullshit you are just taking one of your star players off the field?

If the left jettisons every Democrat that the GOP vilifies all that will be left are ineffective Colmes clones and that is not a recipe for victory.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Your article focused on the thought process of Republicans, so it was a complete waste

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

click the link for a good post

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Qapla' !!!!

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
You keep saying Pelosi is good at her job but I fail to see any success from her. Even with a Supermajority Dems let their own party members filibuster their own god damned legislation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

You keep saying Pelosi is good at her job but I fail to see any success from her. Even with a Supermajority Dems let their own party members filibuster their own god damned legislation.

That was in the Senate, she was in charge of the House.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Madkal posted:

There was a comic called Prez that came out a year or two back and it was a satirical look at American politics. One of the gags was the idea of "Sickstarter", a website that helps you raise money for medical bills. It was done as satire. This is where America seems to be heading now.

We're already there. The majority of crowdfunding is for medical bills.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

going to bring back the fabled sea lion label here

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

That's the Senate you loving moron

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Okay, I know you're a trolling shitbag who should be cast into the deepest pits of GBS and FYAD, but for the audience, the House doesn't have a goddamn filibuster.

Efb, DND still has good people in it. :3:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

That was the Senate, you moron. She runs the House.

And note that 0 Democrats crossed the line to support AHCA, or any other major legislation Ryan wants.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will watch the piss tape so that future generations do not have to.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Maybe we could get a tech start up genius who invented a way to get people to multiple places using vehicles with fixed routes with them paying just one low fare

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've seen Pelosi blamed so many times for Senate ACA bullshit that I'm starting to think it's some attempt at a meme.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Kurzon posted:

So loving true. The Democrats must realize that the Republicans are not interested in compromise but have declared all-out war on them. Remember that whole dumb birth certificate thing? That's a sign that the Republicans couldn't find anything embarrassing in Obama's past so they resorted to making poo poo up. Obama was squeaky clean. And now Republicans are debasing themselves defending one of the most depraved Presidents in US history.

What Democrats have talked about compromising with Republicans?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Harrow posted:

I've seen Pelosi blamed so many times for Senate ACA bullshit that I'm starting to think it's some attempt at a meme.

Funny thing is, is that when it comes to legislation, Pelosi gets poo poo done when she is in charge.

Xae posted:

Just so I'm reading this broke brained poo poo right:

The people who scream the loudest about RESIST REPUBLICANS are now recommending capitulation and letting Republicans decide who the Democratic leadership is?

Just a few trolls as far as I can tell. I skim this thread instead of reading closely when people can't stop chicken little-ing. It was a stupid seat in a loving red state. "Oh no, we'll have to try again in two years"

:somesortofjerkoffemotehere:

Edit - This will work :jerkbag:

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 21, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The people who scream the loudest about RESIST REPUBLICANS are now recommending capitulation and letting Republicans decide who the Democratic leadership is?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Xae posted:

I believe in fact you'll find their proposal for some sort of cult like group suicide in South America very reasonable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no strong feelings on Pelosi one way or another but its hilarious to think anyone is sincerely buying into this "its her fault" narrative. Is there one person in existence who thinks that if Nancy Pelosi retired tomorrow that the GOP messaging wouldn't just become stopping her replacement's agenda? And then "We must stop Chuck Schumer's agenda"? And if he went away they'd just be demonizing Chris Murphy or Corey Booker or Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders or John Lewis or whoever is next on their list of Democratic boogeymen? Its transparent and absurd.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harrow posted:

The Republicans are just realizing they can't effectively attack Hillary any more so they're redirecting all that misogyny at the next available female target. If not Pelosi, Warren, if not Warren Kamala, if not Kamala then Duckworth, etc.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lemming posted:

Trump tweeted that he specifically never hired Russian hookers, which is all the proof you need that the tape is insanely real

Of course he didn't hire any hookers.

He has an assistant for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Republicans are just realizing they can't effectively attack Hillary any more so they're redirecting all that misogyny at the next available female target. If not Pelosi, Warren, if not Warren Kamala, if not Kamala then Duckworth, etc.

Pretty much this. Pelosi is the next most convenient target for them.

• Locked thread