Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Norns posted:

It cost lance stroll an estimated 86 million dollars to get a F1 seat. I can't imagine a GT3 or LMP1 seat woud be a whole lot cheaper.

The "you could buy a car for that" argument vs Sim poo poo is stupid.

He said lemons which is $500*. Any similar rig will cost more than that, but you buy it one time.

*Plus safety equipment, tires, gas, and maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

:doh:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Here's what I would recommend for optimum value and enjoyment:

Buy a Microsoft Wireless Wheel for Xbox 360 games
If you like it, buy a Logitech G25 for PC and PS3 games
If you like it, buy a Fanatec Porsche wheel for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 games
if you like it, buy a Fanatec CSE wheel for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 games so you have a second third setup for when your nephew nephews visit, also buy a 3rd Xbox 360
if you like it, buy a Thrustmaster TX Italia 458 wheel for PC, Xbone and PS4 games because the Fanatec isn't out at launch of Forza 5
if you don't like it, sell it to Captain Howdy
then buy a Fanatec CSWv2 wheel for PC, Xbone and PS4 games
if you stil like it, buy an M3
if you like that, put some race gas in it on weekends with a goPro and external mic setup
if you like that, sign up for some driving classes and track days
if you like that, go to the national finals of the 1st competition you entered by winning your city's top lap time thanks to all your Forza seat time
if you win that, become Pastor Maldonado and get some dictatorship to buy you a seat in F1
if you pull all that off, immediately start crashing into everyone like it's the first turn of your first day at Forza and you're a pubbie, blame "lag"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Honestly a gamepad is better than the 360 wheel. It feels notchy as poo poo and doesnt know where center is.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly a gamepad is better than the 360 wheel. It feels notchy as poo poo and doesnt know where center is.

There's a really simple bearing mod you can do to the 360 wheel which makes it orders of magnitude better.

It still is what it is so I wouldn't recommend seeking it out or anything, but if you find one for cheap/free and want to play Xbox 360 games it's not the worst thing.

My secondary seat has the 360 wheel mounted on it and while obviously I love the Fanatec I don't mind going on the 360 wheel for some head to head racing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The MS wireless wheel is surprisingly good for the price it cost but it has a lifespan of about 100 hours of racing due to the critical wear components being made of plastic and at least 50% of them arrived broken from the factory.

I'm pretty sure you can recenter the wheel by adjusting the wheel position sensor if that 2 degrees off thing bothers you enough. It's easy if I recall, but mine never needed it (I went through 2 or 3 of them using the Best Buy warranty replacement scheme and just took back the ones that were defective right out of the box. They had a pretty poor QC situation.)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cojawfee posted:

It sounds like you've never tried VR before.

No it doesn't, because I have. My last roommate had a Vive and I think it's visually amazing, even though the screen door effect is definitely noticeable.

As for the controllers, when I played Valve's VR demo, I was pretty astonished at how intuitive the motion controllers were. When I held them up to my headset, it was like I wasn't even wearing it. The movement and sense of space they occupied was basically perfect, to the point where I could put the controller down on a desk, walk away from it, then walk back over to it and grab for it to find it *exactly* where the VR helmet visually indicated it was, like down to the millimeter.

However amazing the tech is, it's still gimmicky as hell and I think I'd much prefer a kb+m or console gamepad for basically everything. At most, I could see a situation where the right stick / mouse aim sets where a camera's center focus is aimed and let the VR headset motion controls deviate from that, but that's about it.

A game like Forza would be perfect for what I'm talking about. You would use a gamepad like you normally would, but you could freely look around within the car like in real life with the headset.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 21, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think when/if the price comes down VR will be a great accessory for cockpit based games like racing, space and flight sims. The idea of VR as a gaming platform though I don't think is ever going to take off.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GreatGreen posted:

A game like Forza would be perfect for what I'm talking about. You would use a gamepad like you normally would, but you could freely look around within the car like in real life with the headset.

This is exactly how VR racing games currently work.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Totally different game/genre, but I'm pretty excited to see what they do with Fallout 4 VR. I think that will be a pretty good barometer to see where this generation of VR gaming, in an AAA title with a full dev studio behind it can go. If it does well, that'll be good, but if it flops and gets bad reviews, I think other studios will take note.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

FBS posted:

This is exactly how VR racing games currently work.

Awesome!

I just hope shooters catch on and let you use keyboards and mice to move and aim your gun while you use a VR headset to pivot your in-game head around instead of going to that retarded teleporting mechanic they're starting to standardize.

Anyway, sorry about the derail.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Its gonna rule in like 15 years. VR will eventually make every genre better except maybe poo poo like 2D sidescrollers and top down strategy games unless they let you control them like Ironman's pc

Being an old man that can't do anything fun without breaking bones will be alright when I can live inside the mmo matrix

The fluid camera movement being tied to the user's body opens up so many possibilities. It'll just be a loving nightmare for animators to try and keep up.

In vehicle focused games simply being able to look in the direction you want to see with your head is already huge benefit. Trying to control your car/plane/spaceship while also controlling the camera can feel a lot like rubbing your stomach while patting your head if you aren't used to it yet.

GreatGreen posted:

What is gonna be your first car build in the new Forza?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My first car will have a VR headset painted on it with no controllers.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

good luck to whoever bothers uploading wheel manufacturer logos to forza hub so that they can afford every car in the next game without ever having to win a single race

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FBS posted:

I just hope shooters catch on and let you use keyboards and mice to move and aim your gun while you use a VR headset to pivot your in-game head around instead of going to that retarded teleporting mechanic they're starting to standardize.

The reason they do this is because the "standard" movement mode makes a lot of people sick. Most VR shooters support this mode optionally but they're not going to default to it for that reason.

edit: Also Dan Greenawalt was on The Smoking Tire and Hooniverse podcasts recently. Not much new information but lots of discussion around the parts we already know.

TST: http://shoutengine.com/TheSmokingTire/dan-greenawalt-forza-7-at-e3-37671
Hooniverse: http://shoutengine.com/Hooniverse/dan-greenawalt-and-forza-7-37661

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 22, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Going to continue the derail briefly. My housemate works in VR for corporate visualisation of architecture stuff, so I've picked up a lot of the interesting things they've prototyped for movement

As Wolrah says your mouse and keyboard movement just doesn't work. Almost anyone will get sick. And frankly aiming a gun is incredibly intuitive and fun in VR. You don't want to lose that.
Controllers also don't work in any game where you play as a dude who is walking around. You'll get sick. You can just about pull it off if the movement is really, really slow paced and turning is deliberate (Resi7) but it'll catch most people fairly quickly.

Teleportation works. You can get a moment of disorientation, but it doesn't persist long.

Whats really goofy is you can fix controller motion sickness issues to a large degree by making the player jog on the spot to enable movement, then roughly tying movement speed to speed of the movement. Not even a proper jog, just a little shuffling jig and pumping your arms a little. So you can use a stick or trackpad on your left controller to mark a direction so long as you are physically moving. Games where you kind of... drag yourself around with walking arm or skiing motions get rid of the motion sickness too. Anything that gives your inner ear just a little kick. Some of these feel really natural and fun too, but you will always, always, look like an utter berk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Thief posted:

good luck to whoever bothers uploading wheel manufacturer logos to forza hub so that they can afford every car in the next game without ever having to win a single race

Do you have to pay for vinyls in FH3? Everything was free in 6.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have to pay for vinyls in FH3? Everything was free in 6.

I think they're still free, but you get credits sent to you based on the number of people who use it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ask keket for actual numbers he had more DLs than anyone i knew when the game first came out by just recreating everything from enkei to goon grenades

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thief posted:

It's hard to say. My first real car love was a Ferrari 458 so that's always one of the first cars to hit my stable in these games, even though it sounds like a mix between a jet ski and a pig and there are better cars nowadays. There's something about it I just really go for.

I think with the new Forza I'll go with some unremarkable, retarded fast and furious import and put every dime I have into until it understeers slightly less than a freight train but is so fast it will basically launch into orbit if you look at it funny. Should make for a fun career mode I think.

What do most people usually go for first thing? Do people tend to "main" cars in these games or do more people tend to take more of a "right tool for the right job" mentality?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 22, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope the old abarth 500 is in there because I want to do more sick wheelies.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Thief posted:

god willing it'll be the autozam az-1 if they throw it in the game

please put it in the game t10

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

GreatGreen posted:

It's hard to say. My first real car love was a Ferrari 458 so that's always one of the first cars to hit my stable in these games, even though it sounds like a mix between a jet ski and a pig and there are better cars nowadays. There's something about it I just really go for.

I think with the new Forza I'll go with some unremarkable, retarded fast and furious import and put every dime I have into until it understeers slightly less than a freight train but is so fast it will basically launch into orbit if you look at it funny. Should make for a fun career mode I think.

What do most people usually go for first thing? Do people tend to "main" cars in these games or do more people tend to take more of a "right tool for the right job" mentality?

I almost always pick a car in each class and "main it"

I wish they would bring back F class

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I hope the Beetle is back after sitting out FH3 so I can turn it into a UFO again - by that I mean drop in a V8 and AWD so it hits 100km/h in a flat 2sec only to get punted by the first R-class to hit fourth gear.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

bring back f class and the overall leaderboards and i'd be busy till forza 8

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I wish they would overhaul the class system tbh

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
will we be able to bring fm6 tunes across?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SquirrelGrip posted:

will we be able to bring fm6 tunes across?

I would assume, yes, since that was a part of FM6 (from FM5 and FH2) and FH3 (from FM6, etc.)

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

are car clubs back again? :pray:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Scatterfold posted:

Can't you just do a xbox club or we, just bring back the european homos club for us european homos.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I hope they tone down spins. I miss that old school 'build your car until it is your baby and take it to Sunday races' from the old turismo and forza games. At least early in the campaign I don't wanna be drowned in cars I can instantly max out.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

track day bro! posted:

Can't you just do a xbox club or we, just bring back the european homos club for us european homos.

yeh that's a proxy, but it wouldn't have a pool of shared cars for those 510 races :q:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

Here's what I would recommend for optimum value and enjoyment:

Buy a Microsoft Wireless Wheel for Xbox 360 games
If you like it, buy a Logitech G25 for PC and PS3 games
If you like it, buy a Fanatec Porsche wheel for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 games
if you like it, buy a Fanatec CSE wheel for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 games so you have a second third setup for when your nephew nephews visit, also buy a 3rd Xbox 360
if you like it, buy a Thrustmaster TX Italia 458 wheel for PC, Xbone and PS4 games because the Fanatec isn't out at launch of Forza 5
if you don't like it, sell it to Captain Howdy
then buy a Fanatec CSWv2 wheel for PC, Xbone and PS4 games
if you stil like it, buy an M3
if you like that, put some race gas in it on weekends with a goPro and external mic setup
if you like that, sign up for some driving classes and track days
if you like that, go to the national finals of the 1st competition you entered by winning your city's top lap time thanks to all your Forza seat time
if you win that, become Pastor Maldonado and get some dictatorship to buy you a seat in F1
if you pull all that off, immediately start crashing into everyone like it's the first turn of your first day at Forza and you're a pubbie, blame "lag"
It's sat in my bedroom on its stand because controllers have feedback now. I assume it still works, but it's not like I've plugged it in.
I regret nothing.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
As someone trying to actively plow through FM 4/5/6 still, I basically just settle on whatever in the garage works, or try to get what I need on the cheap. Kinda get the feeling that I'm missing the point of the whole game. I'm not really even that good but I bet all this jumping around isn't helping my consistency one bit.

Special exception for 4, though, where I basically need to do as much of the game as possible in Chevy cars cause level 50 affinity. That and they have full class range and an LMP2 racer. Gonna have to play the auction house a bit to swap out 1mil+ race cars I don't need anymore for ones I do.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Scatterfold posted:

yeh that's a proxy, but it wouldn't have a pool of shared cars for those 510 races :q:

I'm pretty sure the club garage 510 was like the one where you forgot your PE kit at school. So yeah I guess we need that back.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Scatterfold posted:

SAEG or riot.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I almost always pick a car in each class and "main it"

This.

but I also tend to get fixated on comedy options and taking them as far from their starting class as possible. stuff like functional RWD Honda/Renault conversions.

also obsessively recreate all my favorite movie and irl cars, down to the horsepower or select mods if there are enough details about it because I'm a huge nerd

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ShineDog posted:

I hope they tone down spins. I miss that old school 'build your car until it is your baby and take it to Sunday races' from the old turismo and forza games. At least early in the campaign I don't wanna be drowned in cars I can instantly max out.

this won't happen but forreal the best thing ever were the used cars in the first gran turismo games. with as many cars as pokemon i dont expect them to do this even though they should as to make what ppl drive online have a bit more care put into it

(sorry for double post im on my lovely cellphone)

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

p sure I saw something about them replacing spins entirely in 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am trying to get the affinity level of all car manufacturers to level 25 before Forza 7. I don't think I am going to reach this goal but I have I think 30 manufacturers there so far.

• Locked thread