Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not just one.

Pollyanna posted:

Which one, cause those all look pretty heinous.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which one because I see about 31.

That was some vague language on my part, but I meant that only one of those books is not garbage that would ruin high schoolers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

I wonder how many people are going to email Gene.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

I think the House was 800 billion in cuts over a 10 year period. So this seems like they want way more than that which is going to be devastating

And to think we all speculated the Senate bill wouldn't be as brutal. It's shocking.

I can't believe we let 50 old men decide the fate of millions of Americans. Our government is garbage.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Unrelated but funny.

https://mobile.twitter.com/funder/status/877541244372750336

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

:bern101:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

"Alt left stalks and harasses school teacher as the violence continues."
- Sean Hannity, sometime next week.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Deeper Medicaid cuts probably mean Republicans are hoping to shoot for the moon in their tax reform plan.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Confounding Factor posted:

And to think we all speculated the Senate bill wouldn't be as brutal. It's shocking.

I can't believe we let 50 old men decide the fate of millions of Americans. Our government is garbage.

i feel like the pragmatists of this thread spend a lot of time trying to keep sentiments like this from manifesting into aggression or suicide.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So once the Senate AHCA officially comes out, what's the process for Republicans attempting to pass it? Is it just that they want for the CBO score and then vote? I seem to recall an earlier article saying they were planning to amend a bill to replace the entire text or some such thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder if Trump will veto the bill for maximum chaos potential.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jun21

noted garbage (R) leaning rasmussen has trump down to 45% today with approval index of -14

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
All the reductions and everything are all timed for after the elections it seems.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

edit: nevermind

skylined! fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 21, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder if Trump will veto the bill for maximum chaos potential.

He will wander forgetfully out of the signing ceremony and end up pocket vetoing it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Every time I learn someone new is being investigated all I can think of is this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGCgXqkwVQM&t=65s

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Boy would I not want to be on the Senate baseball team when this thing gets out in the wild

wouldn't mind being in the stands though

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

no loving way this exists

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He will wander forgetfully out of the signing ceremony and end up pocket vetoing it.

Trump lives to put his name on poo poo, he'll sign it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

What I'm saying is not that we need more violence, but we need more judiciously decided violence. 20 grade school kids getting shot by someone with mental health issues obviously did nothing to help anyone, but what if a normal, fully rational (obviously they'd have to be white to get anyone to listen, unfortunately) person decided to hold Rand Paul hostage until we got single payer healthcare?

Normal, fully rational people don't hold other people hostage with guns you loving insane person.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/877627606312472576

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

is

is there also a bloomberg pee tape

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Michael Bloomberg can gently caress off.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

skylined! posted:

is

is there also a bloomberg pee tape

His point is quite a bit more nuanced than the click bait headline.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Welp I know who's not getting invited to the 2018 convention.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lmao gently caress off Bloomberg.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

At least it doesn't remove the subsidies completely.

I am resigned to this happening so I'm just hoping I don't lose my coverage completely which relies on the market not being destroyed and me not losing subsidies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gonna double dip on this one and say "no, seriously, gently caress right off, you piece of poo poo, with your dumb hot take from some special election. You loving pasty white nazi sympathizer!"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Xae posted:

it's not as click-baity as the title but painting it as positively nuanced is uh, a little generous

biden did a better job with a similar thought with terry gross

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/15/533058002/biden-talks-trump-faith-and-fate-in-front-of-a-live-fresh-air-audience

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Xae posted:

No, it's really not.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
My niece has Driver Syndrome, a form of epilepsy. My brother in law loves Trump and loves to make fun of my liberal ideals but I hope deep down that he's sweating and feeling loving miserable every damned second of his life because surprise surprise, my nieces condition is expensive to treat and deal with - they're on Medicare to help pay for the monthly hospital visits and tons of medication to just barely keep my nieces seizures under control. The cherry on top is that he is overweight and also struggles to get a full time job so because of that, my sister and my niece live in a lovely area and have a hard time meeting ends meet.

I don't dare bring up that the party he voted for will be taking away his daughters important insurance coverage just to make the rich richer because I know he will explode with rage.

The only way to get him to understand what is at stake is to basically risk the life of my niece and that's super lovely. It's lovely of him and it's lovely of the republicans to choose money over people's lives.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ringo Star Get posted:

My niece has Driver Syndrome, a form of epilepsy. My brother in law loves Trump and loves to make fun of my liberal ideals but I hope deep down that he's sweating and feeling loving miserable every damned second of his life because surprise surprise, my nieces condition is expensive to treat and deal with - they're on Medicare to help pay for the monthly hospital visits and tons of medication to just barely keep my nieces seizures under control. The cherry on top is that he is overweight and also struggles to get a full time job so because of that, my sister and my niece live in a lovely area and have a hard time meeting ends meet.

I don't dare bring up that the party he voted for will be taking away his daughters important insurance coverage just to make the rich richer because I know he will explode with rage.

The only way to get him to understand what is at stake is to basically risk the life of my niece and that's super lovely. It's lovely of him and it's lovely of the republicans to choose money over people's lives.

You'd think that between this and behavioral economics we'd have driven the stake through the heart of "rational actors" being a thing years ago but here we are.

Literally putting his child's life in danger because he's bought into a tribe so hard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Sometimes life is brutal. That's all there is to it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

You'd think that between this and behavioral economics we'd have driven the stake through the heart of "rational actors" being a thing years ago but here we are.

Literally putting his child's life in danger because he's bought into a tribe so hard.

You, know the more I think about the madder I get about Fox and other media.

Because this guy possibly IS acting rationally. He believes that Trump will do what he promised and that Trumpcare will be good for him and fix the ACA's problems. He's stupid for thinking trump will ever do anything for someone who doesn't have a nice rack or money to give him, but there's an entire media world he can live in where people will tell him he made the right move.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

skylined! posted:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jun21

noted garbage (R) leaning rasmussen has trump down to 45% today with approval index of -14
Wonder if he'll tweet this one. :allears:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Ringo Star Get posted:

My niece has Driver Syndrome, a form of epilepsy.

How often does he talk about people on welfare while using the word "bootstraps"?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

crime fighting hog posted:

How often does he talk about people on welfare while using the word "bootstraps"?

he'll talk about her bootstrapping her way into heaven at her eulogy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Normal, fully rational people don't hold other people hostage with guns you loving insane person.

In fact normal fully rational people hold other people hostage with guns all the time.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Uh, it got us the White House in 92, 96, 08, and 12, after a generation out of power?

I'm just saying branding matters. I'm not saying we need to throw out Pelosi, I like Pelosi. I'm wondering whether we'd do better in elections if Tim Ryan had won the leadership challenge. It's not impossible and you're being kind of a dick.

Your concern trolling is noted.

As to your response, Perot gave us the White House in 92, the tech boom retained it in 96, Republican incompetence gave us the White House in 08 and Obama being the bad rear end who saved the economy and killed Osama Bin Laden as well as just being one cool mofo won the White House in 12. The DLC lost us all three branches of government by convincing Hillary that voting for the Iraq War Resolution was a good idea. Because if they hadn't done so Hillary would have been the 44th president and Obama the 45h.

The left has a valid point that tacking right has hurt the party more than helping it. This is why the Democrats have lost ground with working people. Not because they care about equality or abortion or are for sensible gun control. It's because they haven't been giving the working class what they really need, The help and support that would motivate them to actually get the gently caress up and vote.

I grew up on stories from my grandparents talking about their parents saying "we gotta go vote for FDR" because they knew that their literal lives depended on it. Because they lived to see the end result of the unbridled greed of the Right, the New Deal not only created programs that legitimately helped those working people but were in direct response to the devastation that unchecked capitalism wrought. Programs that literally kept people from dying in the streets from exposure and malnutrition. There was a clearly delineated path of cause and effect, voting for Republican's meant you starved, Voting D meant that you got to eat.

The DLC dolts disarmed the political left by buying into the Right's propaganda. For years the Right painted the left as emotional, bleeding hearts who were incapable of rational thought. they'd claim that we argued emotions because we couldn't argue the facts. Over time some on the left started to buy into that argument and focused only on the facts and conceded the emotional appeals.

Instead of firmly rebuking the talking points of the right, they tried taking the "high road" looking for compromise and encouraged the "truth is in the middle" narrative never even noticing that literally every argument ever made by the GOP is an emotional appeal. That facts never favor the right but continue to wonder why it is that they keep losing and taking the wrong lesson every loving time. Concluding erroneously that the answer was to move further right to peal off more of the soft support of the GOP. Meanwhile they were sloughing off their own base who didn't go to the Republican party they just disengaged. Which worked until the point where today there is not soft base for the GOP. They are hardened and intractable and the Democrats really need to find a way to get back into the hearts and minds of those disengaged voters.

In the end it comes down to this. You don't take strategy advice from the opposition. Particularly when that advise is to bench your star players. Lefties need to learn to lean into GOP attacks and embrace and defend their own. Which may sound weird when I just got finished blasting the Blue dogs for playing into the Republican's hands but there is a difference between having legitimate intra-party debate and doing the enemies dirty work.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

lovely brother in law

Lemme guess, he blames immigrants for his inability to find steady work, his obesity, and his daughter's illness?

I knew someone just like that, minus the sick kid - very overweight, has likely never had a job paying more than minimum wage, been fired from retail or food service like 10 times, and extremely conservative - it's never ever his fault that he's a poo poo employee and the free market has determined he's useless, it's the Mexicans damnit!

Party of personal responsibility and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Sorry about your niece. At what point though is it worth it to flatly state that the people he's voting for jeopardize his child's health? I know there's a balance between doing what's right for your niece and keeping the peace, but he needs someone to point this out to him.

• Locked thread