Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Castlevania comes to Netflix on July 7th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some motherfuckers cut down the aspen tree in the backyard of my building. I hope it was for a good reason like the notrious aspen root system messing with pipes or something because if it was for aesthetic reasons then they're gonna have a blood feud on their hands.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

MacheteZombie posted:

A cure for Wellness

Thanks, by the way.

It looks terrible

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean that three really tied the backyard together.

Proving once again that violence is cool and good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, there were a ton of people being willfully dense as gently caress in the Free SMG thread. Like is it that hard to tell the difference between a bad post and a bad post that's been going on over and over again for years and years at this point with multiple warnings to stop?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hand Knit posted:

Forums alum penismightier was talking up The Informant the other day so I watched it and I have to say, I thought it was pretty good.

It's very oddly underappreciated in Soderbergh's filmography. I love it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

Forums alum penismightier was talking up The Informant the other day so I watched it and I have to say, I thought it was pretty good.

The Informant is so loving good. It might be my favorite Soderbergh, and that's saying something. It's just so weird in a way I've never seen another movie try. It also uses voiceover unlike any other movie.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

35 min later and I'm here. Better be worth it you jerks. :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

35 min later and I'm here. Better be worth it you jerks. :colbert:

You get a chance to see an Edgar Wright film before most people and 35 minutes isn't even that long of a journey.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

You get a chance to see an Edgar Wright film before most people and 35 minutes isn't even that long of a journey.
Yeah but what if it turns out to be overhyped like Scott Pilgrim?

:smug:

Lucky Jim
Jul 5, 2007
smG should have heeded Koos's teachings.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Since I missed the QCS thread I'll say this, when u look at this website in general it seems 2 me that the smaller subforums (like FYAD, BYOB, imp Zone, Star Citizen, etc.) often moderate more based on taste/tone than the bigger ones (like Games, GBS, PYF, etc.) which go more off rules documents & people who are clearly in the wrong compared 2 the rules. Personally I prefer the first approach because it can help maintain a certain level of quality control instead of it just being a mass of generic posting but it can also make things way more insular & cliquish and completely offputting to people from the outside when they think they'll immediately get shouted down/probated for having a different opinion.
This forum kind of splits the difference in my eyes, I think there's clearly a general tone that differentiates it from somewhere like TVIV or reddit for example but it's still pretty open and you see people comin in here pretty often (well maybe not this thread). I think instead of probations there's almost sort of a hazing process here where when someone comes here they've got 2 deal with ppl sincerely/casually saying they like movies that are generally thought to be bad/easy jokes, which I think is good in encouraging people who are open to discussing these things & discouraging people who are just here to repeat memes.
I think condescension is kind of...well I dont really care that much as long as there's still a willingness to discuss. SMG completely shutting down people usually results in them either justifying their opinions, stop posting, or just brushing it off and ignoring him which i think...win/win. That's my take.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here's my take: I'm glad he's dead.

Man, there were a ton of people being willfully dense as gently caress in the Free SMG thread. Like is it that hard to tell the difference between a bad post and a bad post that's been going on over and over again for years and years at this point with multiple warnings to stop?

Being super disingenuous in one's arguments is a loving tribute to SMG.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hand Knit posted:

That's an amazing movie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SMG is a smug bastard but he's our smug bastard.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, the acceptable kind of smugness

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He ain't mine

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lurdiak posted:

Say what you will about the guy being smug, but he's never been disingenuous. He's sincere to a fault.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Say what you will about the guy being smug, but he's never been disingenuous. He's sincere to a fault.

I didn't say he didn't believe what he said, but he wasn't genuine in his arguments. He'd argue past people a lot, pretending not to get their point, which caused them to have to repeat themselves over and over, which just contributed to how many pages his debates took up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

It's very oddly underappreciated in Soderbergh's filmography. I love it.

His run from about 2005 to 2015 or so is, in my opinion, the best in his entire career.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't think SMG being smug was the problem. I think it was more about him being a dick about it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
When I'm not trying to argue with SMG he is a ton of fun. It's kind of amazing hearing all this ballyhoo about condescension while also trying to catch up with the Star Wars thread. That one is filled with idiots and assholes who couldn't make a good post in the hypothetical thousand year long monkey/typewriter scenario, and SMG gets probated for making a magical post about how the people in TFA are like Sonic the Hedgehog because they don't gently caress.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
SMGs entire schtick was that you could never be on his level, everything else was just in supplement of that end goal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

SMGs entire schtick was that you could never be on his level, everything else was just in supplement of that end goal.

AKA the Trump tactic.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The problem is it 1) wasn't even that bad a post it was a pretty mediocre burn overall, like 3/10 on the sick burn scale and 2) there are multiple people who post dumb antagonistic poo poo all the time but mostly get ignored so the "multiple warnings to stop" mostly come because he is infamous at this point.

Also as others have pointed out its been real recent that the punishments have ramped up. It went from 3 days to a week to a month to a ban all in rapid succession. He only had 3 short probations last year with a 6 month stretch of nothing. If it was years and years multiple warnings without stopping oh so terrible how come he wasn't permabanned like a decade ago?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

loving lol they ran out of seats with about 25 people in front of me. Thanks Obama.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Lurdiak posted:

Here's my take: I'm glad he's dead.

I really liked the argument that he's been terrible for nine years so you can't expect him to stop being terrible now.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Josh Lyman posted:

loving lol they ran out of seats with about 25 people in front of me. Thanks Obama.

Ah well, get a hooker

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I've finally seen Chungking Express and Fallen Angels for the first time.

Wong Kar-wai owns. Hong Kong cinema owns.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
SMG is fantastic and I'm thankful to have him here.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SMG is a bit like one of the more peculiar teachers you get in school. One who aims to challenge his pupils by acting superior. That's gonna turn off a lot of people and I personally don't like it as a teaching style, but at least it's interesting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

The problem is it 1) wasn't even that bad a post it was a pretty mediocre burn overall, like 3/10 on the sick burn scale and 2) there are multiple people who post dumb antagonistic poo poo all the time but mostly get ignored so the "multiple warnings to stop" mostly come because he is infamous at this point.

Also as others have pointed out its been real recent that the punishments have ramped up. It went from 3 days to a week to a month to a ban all in rapid succession. He only had 3 short probations last year with a 6 month stretch of nothing. If it was years and years multiple warnings without stopping oh so terrible how come he wasn't permabanned like a decade ago?

Did you even read my post before responding. How many times does it need to be stated that it wasn't about that one post. SMG has been doing this poo poo for years (at least since Clumsy was mod). Look at his probation history. Yes, there are people that post worst things but SMG has been doing the same schtick for years and years and years now. Because it's not THAT bad he mostly just gets warned to cut it out but it has now been years and years and years and he still hasn't cut it out and eventually that poo poo starts to wear thin. Like the first thing Gonsmithe posted was it wasn't about that post, it was about all of his posts yet the first thing you're still coming back with is "but the post he was banned for wasn't even that bad!".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

I really liked the argument that he's been terrible for nine years so you can't expect him to stop being terrible now.

Would love to see the "You took too long, now it's legal" defense tried in court.

Grendels Dad posted:

SMG is a bit like one of the more peculiar teachers you get in school. One who aims to challenge his pupils by acting superior. That's gonna turn off a lot of people and I personally don't like it as a teaching style, but at least it's interesting.

I had a teacher like that, SMG is not like that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grendels Dad posted:

When I'm not trying to argue with SMG he is a ton of fun. It's kind of amazing hearing all this ballyhoo about condescension while also trying to catch up with the Star Wars thread. That one is filled with idiots and assholes who couldn't make a good post in the hypothetical thousand year long monkey/typewriter scenario, and SMG gets probated for making a magical post about how the people in TFA are like Sonic the Hedgehog because they don't gently caress.

The best part is that the observation was right, the characters in TFA are like arrested preteens, it's like an All That parody sketch of Star Wars. They neither talk nor react like the young adults they're supposed to be and their interplay is less chaste and just naive. Two villains of the villains are just Beavis and Butthead. The Han Solo character (Dash Rendar or whatever the gently caress) is much more promising as an intimate interest for the male lead simply because they have a sensible romantic arc.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like, he has been probated for the exact same thing over and over again to seven years now with no sign that he gives a poo poo about that. I don't know what else you'd do with someone like that but escalate the punishment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Like, he has been probated for the exact same thing over and over again to seven years now with no sign that he gives a poo poo about that. I don't know what else you'd do with someone like that but escalate the punishment.

The prison system doesn't exist for rehabilitation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Well, how detrimental is his behavior? Is he actively driving away posters? How would the overall quality of the forum improve by his absence? I stopped reading the comic book movie thread precisely because I got the impression SMG doesn't post there often enough, and I find most nerd-centric threads insufferable without his contributions because at least they change things up a bit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nroo posted:

I've finally seen Chungking Express and Fallen Angels for the first time.

Wong Kar-wai owns. Hong Kong cinema owns.

All the leaves are brown...

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 22, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There's always been undercurrent of tone vs substance. SMG always presents substance but tone seems to always resonate more and affects people. Much like movies. MCU has the right tone and lacks substance so peeps can digest it better but Snyder's DCU has the substance. Fast food vs Nutrition.

Where else can I take this...clearly SMG has been a genius all along in his own style. One just has to see it. I don't understand how people can take it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Well, how detrimental is his behavior? Is he actively driving away posters? How would the overall quality of the forum improve by his absence?

Very, yes, and yes. Dude comes up as the number one reason not to post in CD in pretty much every conversation I've seen about CD. Number 2 is "people who post like SMG".

• Locked thread