Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I was a very crabby Crab for the Minesotta tribe training mission. Our coordination was awful but it was still fun despite 16% of our force deciding that they would actively try to do nothing!

Incidentally why I am voting B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

From what I remember I had a mech that was both IS and Clan, carrying both kinds of pilot. Leading to some natural hesitation about when to open fire but it was good times all around.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
In SD's defense, having your pilot be an important character while having a short range loadout is fairly terrifying. At least trying to keep Coots alive while dodging assaults was for me. He didn't even get jump jets to simplify things for him. I halfway suspect he was reminding himself constantly that he did not have jump jets. But the human brain takes a little extra time to register negatives, resulting in getting body blocked by a Jenner.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

idgi you move 6/9 and have a brace of clan lasers and a loving UAC 20. Also elite pilots. I'd have crushed poo poo infront of me easily.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Who cares if you get an important character killed, isn't the entire point of the thread to let the players shape the narrative? Some big cheese dying randomly in battle and shaking up the politics of their entire faction and maybe even rewriting inner sphere history is a cool and interesting possibility

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Who cares if you get an important character killed, isn't the entire point of the thread to let the players shape the narrative? Some big cheese dying randomly in battle and shaking up the politics of their entire faction and maybe even rewriting inner sphere history is a cool and interesting possibility

also this

Clanners literally jo at night to a glorious death and a entry in their giant book of lovely poetry. It would have been lit.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Having fun is 100% more important than keeping an important pilot alive. If Caesar Steiner had died under my watch I'd wouldn't have felt much, aside from maybe a sneaking paranoia that Defiance Industries might try to murder me in my sleep.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I was a very crabby Crab for the Minesotta tribe training mission. Our coordination was awful but it was still fun despite 16% of our force deciding that they would actively try to do nothing!

Incidentally why I am voting B.

Yeah I read over that ages ago, I'm not sure what went on there but I remembered i was really rooting for you guys. It happens I guess. My mission, I think I've had the most coordination I've ever had in a game ever. It was pretty disgusting how effective we were because we coordinated so well. Also luck certainly helped us too.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

also this

Clanners literally jo at night to a glorious death and a entry in their giant book of lovely poetry. It would have been lit.

That's exactly why the marginally competent character needs to stay alive, so the clan as a whole doesn't collapse into a roiling mass of suicide poetry.

No, that'd be a positive for like 3/4s of the thread. I'll get back to you.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I got headcapped in four rounds and made an emoticon. And then Bloody Pom bought the emoticon. :kimchi:

Then I got to play Star Colonel LYRAN `MECH REPORTER Bethany "Witness" Cochraine.

All in all, it was a great time, and may that Thunderbolt always be haunted with Daryl's ghost.

:squawk:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Pooncha posted:

I got headcapped in four rounds and made an emoticon. And then Bloody Pom bought the emoticon. :kimchi:

Then I got to play Star Colonel LYRAN `MECH REPORTER Bethany "Witness" Cochraine.

All in all, it was a great time, and may that Thunderbolt always be haunted with Daryl's ghost.

:squawk:

whats your emoticon again?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

I got to ride a Griffin! It was fun. I jumped up and down on someone's head and then got my arm shot off.

I got to drive a "fixed" Huron warrior, and killed a tank with a great shot to the turret. Then I played true to my cappy character and turned on the other players and Ferrosol jumped on my head.

I'm pretty sure I killed an Enfield as well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
hey speaking of remembrances of missions past, did we ever find out which of the Pearl Skate death machine 'mechs the Demon Hawks got to drag off the battlefield? There was a Warhawk, Wolf Spider, and Naga that all got various degrees of headcapped.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I went for a DFA to push a mech into water but got shot out of the sky by the entire opfor. That was fun.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Viva Miriya posted:

Yeah I read over that ages ago, I'm not sure what went on there but I remembered i was really rooting for you guys. It happens I guess. My mission, I think I've had the most coordination I've ever had in a game ever. It was pretty disgusting how effective we were because we coordinated so well. Also luck certainly helped us too.

I felt we probably picked the most difficult mission of the choices given. We needed to blow up various objects on the battlefield to see if the targets were inside, and then pick them up and bring them back. The targets had a lot of health, pickups required people to stand still for 1 turn, and the targets closest to our starting position had nothing in them (I think there were 6 targets scattered about with 3 objectives hidden inside?). Oh and we had to do it while being both outnumbered AND outgunned. I'm no Btech vet, but I think even with perfect coordination it would still have been difficult given how the odds were stacked.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A simple kill mission would have been better IMO.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
My go wasn't that great, but that was mostly because of the "Break Through actually just means get halfway down the map" SNAFU. I mean, the players still won, but getting crippled and killed without accomplishing much of anything wasn't a great experience. Here's hoping try #2 goes better.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dachshundofdoom posted:

My go wasn't that great, but that was mostly because of the "Break Through actually just means get halfway down the map" SNAFU. I mean, the players still won, but getting crippled and killed without accomplishing much of anything wasn't a great experience. Here's hoping try #2 goes better.

Which one was that?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hey, I won a Solaris fight!

...well, technically, tied for first.

...after several rounds of players actively trying to avoid engaging and culminating in a hilarious cripple fight with both 'Mechs asploding.

Still, 10/10, would ride again.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I got to pluck a KO'd Cyclops pilot out of his 'mech with an Atlas' delicate fingers (Atlas fingers are not delicate) which was a blast!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
The only part of my runs which left me most unsanguine was my own lack of experience with vees, thus preventing the ushering in of The Age Of Mehrens.

Had a loving blast in that Night Gyr, though. Until dice happened and meant I had no more fun missiles. But eh, dice are dice. Can't rightly get indignant about them because they'll just gently caress you over even harder the next time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I killstole from the Death Commandos then got stuck because I didn't understand smoke and cornered by a gang of Hunchbacks and Grasshoppers, one of the latter of which I dragged to hell with me. It would have been a proper glorious clanner death except the fatal blow came when I was shoved into a stream :saddowns: It was awesome and I'm looking forward to round 2 in another couple of years!

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 21, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I got to loving snipe a tank as a death commando to finish a mission, while posting from my phone at a music festival (Shambhala) Terrifying my teammates because I wasn't posting in the google doc (i did not have the reception to post in the google doc)

Fun fact: I could only get enough phone reception to PM PTN while in single portapotty off the beaten path.

A+ memory, would play again in a heartbeat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

the targets closest to our starting position had nothing in them.

The contents of each container were random, with their contents turning into a reroll once a result was reached. The earlier containers were statistically more likely to be empty (50/50) but you guys got exceptionally unlucky.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Mezzanon posted:

I got to loving snipe a tank as a death commando to finish a mission, while posting from my phone at a music festival (Shambhala) Terrifying my teammates because I wasn't posting in the google doc (i did not have the reception to post in the google doc)

Fun fact: I could only get enough phone reception to PM PTN while in single portapotty off the beaten path.

A+ memory, would play again in a heartbeat.

Oh, that's why you were so quiet! You had us sweating bullets in the google doc during that fight. Your 11th hour shot to finish off the fleeing tank was one of a series of amazing events in that fight.

Yea, that map was a blast! I somehow ended up in the Atlas and had a rollicking good time running around with a huge missile launcher blasting tanks and such into oblivion. If I had any complaints about that map it was that it ended so soon, but that's Battletech.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Death Commandoes campaign is still the best part of this LP (except maybe Demon Hawks)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Affi posted:

Death Commandoes campaign is still the best part of this LP (except maybe Demon Hawks)

Agreed

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

The contents of each container were random, with their contents turning into a reroll once a result was reached. The earlier containers were statistically more likely to be empty (50/50) but you guys got exceptionally unlucky.

Yup! Turned out all the good stuff was being sat on by the Assaults and Heavies on the other end of the map!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Wolverines need their salvage raiders to be top notch you know.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

Which one was that?

Rise of the Phoenix, the one where we had to defend Carlos Marik from the Capellans' super-elite AI mechs. I was in the Rampage, spent most of the match missing and failing piloting rolls to avoid falling over.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Is there a signup to play as the bad guys? I'm 100% down to play as (particularly Clan) OpFor and defend the Prime timeline against meddling players. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I kicked a guy's head off and contributed to pissing off the Hell's Horses so much they no longer bother with zellbrigen against IS opponents. :buddy:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I role-played as Captain Paul Masters by drawing fire off my critically damaged lancemates so they could focus fire on Ion Rush and take him out of the fight. It was fitting.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Z the IVth posted:

I felt we probably picked the most difficult mission of the choices given. We needed to blow up various objects on the battlefield to see if the targets were inside, and then pick them up and bring them back

I heard that setup and immediately thought 'gently caress yes we're doing PayDay: Battletech'. Without considering that PayDay generally requires a plan of some kind to not get stomped. And also that I basically should have played as if I had a Dodge build, which incidentally I've never been good at- Techforcer all the way.

It was a good mission with some bad luck, but at least I hope that prodded the players who came after to learn from our mistakes and do more tactical planning. Just about all of the following missions from Pirate King onwards have been top-tier, both from PTN's GMing and the players wrecking everything as a team.

I forget- was the Crab in Counting Coup responsible for this as well?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Death Commando campaign was sheer joy from start to finish, top end pilots versus top end technology in a series of brutal slugfests. We had headcaps, elbow drops from the top rope, Atlas hands jaws of life, a post-mortem Arrow-IV kill, and that's just the first couple of fights!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Basically I think what people are saying PTN is that in 99.99% of circumstances the games have been interesting and fantastic and its a pretty huge chain of solid stuff that all started with some rear end in a top hat Griffin pilot learning to deal with PPC heat vs a Dragon pilot learning to love the melee.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So how long to wait for another go around? Years?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pattonesque posted:

I was pretty happy tanking Arrow IVs with Taj Thrower's unkillable NRWR-spec Grasshopper

:hi5: grasshopper bro. I spent my stint in that one haplessly spazzing around firing off my lazors like an overarmoured rave bus and hitting barely anything, then grabbing up a fallen buddy out of his cockpit with a skin of the teeth final roll. good times.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chronojam posted:

We're actually getting close to the list ticking over to the people from the very beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chronojam posted:

Nah not anymore.

• Locked thread