Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm currently reading through the basketball rule book and I'm not seeing any rule that says the Knicks can't draft this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

I'm currently reading through the basketball rule book and I'm not seeing any rule that says the Knicks can't draft this guy

Doesn't understand the Triangle

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there an indication why Jackson wouldn't work out for the Celtics? Maybe concerns over minutes?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Better handles than Dwight anyway

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there an indication why Jackson wouldn't work out for the Celtics? Maybe concerns over minutes?

I thought it was pretty clear he's worried they don't have actual interest in him and may trade him to some yahoo team.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Kataphract posted:

The Pacers don't seem to be in a position to extort anyone. Paul George made it known as forcibly as possible that any team trying to acquire him would be just renting him for a year, depressing competing trade offers. As long as that is happening, it's the Lakers extorting the Pacers. Yes, they would like to get him now, because the future is always uncertain, but at the same time, they can afford to wait a lot more than the Pacers.

This argument doesn't address brolic's point, which is about the Lakers pursuing another max-level FA in 2018 to make the team competitive.

If the Lakers wait to acquire George in FA, they can renounce Randle and pretty much have 1 max space slot. They sign PG in 2018 and now the team is totally capped out with Paul George and a bunch of young players who may or may not be good and nothing else (Brook Lopez's bird rights I guess). If they acquire George now, they also inherit his bird rights, meaning they can clear some extra space by stretching or trading Clarkson and Deng, use space to sign some fantasy UFA like LeBron, and go over the cap to retain George next summer.

The Lakers have an impetus to trade for George right now because it gives them significant cap flexibility that they will not gain by signing him as a free agent. The Pacers know this, meaning that LA needs to put together a competitive offer beyond what they're offering so far (junk picks and bad young players). Other teams know this as well, so a risk-acceptant organization, like the Rockets, could take a short-term rental on George now and extort the Lakers at the deadline. The Lakers don't have the leverage we all assumed they did initially because waiting to acquire George means they have no chance at LeBron or any other max-level FA in 2018. I didn't understand this either until the Woj reporting came out yesterday about Magic wanting two max-level FAs.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 21, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Probably, but I did read this morning that his camp finally sent them medical records.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chad Ford‏Verified account @chadfordinsider 31m 31 minutes ago
More

Chad Ford Retweeted Chuck M.

This is a disagreement between his agent and Celtics. Don't pin it on Jackson. He's the most competitive/fearless player in the draft

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

Phil would set this guy up with a locker room full of sand and act stoic while the bear complains

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/877567234264227840

Wolfson is implying that it might be to take Collins

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
EMERGENCY AVOID TATUM AT ALL COSTS

https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/877592948426379264

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

This argument doesn't address brolic's point, which is about the Lakers pursuing another max-level FA in 2018 to make the team competitive.

If the Lakers wait to acquire George in FA, they can renounce Randle and pretty much have 1 max space slot. They sign PG in 2018 and now the team is totally capped out with Paul George and a bunch of young players who may or may not be good and nothing else (Brook Lopez's bird rights I guess). If they acquire George now, they also inherit his bird rights, meaning they can clear some extra space by stretching or trading Clarkson and Deng, use space to sign some fantasy UFA like LeBron, and go over the cap to retain George next summer.

The Lakers have an impetus to trade for George right now because it gives them significant cap flexibility that they will not gain by signing him as a free agent. The Pacers know this, meaning that LA needs to put together a competitive offer beyond what they're offering so far (junk picks and bad young players). Other teams know this as well, so a risk-acceptant organization, like the Rockets, could take a short-term rental on George now and extort the Lakers at the deadline. The Lakers don't have the leverage we all assumed they did initially because waiting to acquire George means they have no chance at LeBron or any other max-level FA in 2018. I didn't understand this either until the Woj reporting came out yesterday about Magic wanting two max-level FAs.

Nice summary.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Had to look up St Louis pizza...yeah he's off my board

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

St. Louis style pizza may be the only pizza style I've ever had that is not good even in a little way. In fact it's repulsive, barf-worthy. Putting that wanna-be cream cheese on a giant cracker and calling it pizza is a goddam crime against humanity and I even accept pineapple.

edit: just because I can't let this go because I couldn't even eat it hammered...

crust: matzo unleavened yeast-free cracker
cheese: some slime called provel that only exists in St. Louis
sauce: they add tons of sugar seemingly to remind themselves of ketchup

It's disgusting poo poo.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 21, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Huh, I lived in St Louis for 18 months as a kid and had no idea what that even was. My parents did a good job sheltering me from it I guess.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Can I start the Anthony Bennett comparisons now...or?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Imo's is right up there with that gross barf spaghetti in Cincinnati for worst regional food that is inexplicably beloved.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kiimo posted:

Chad Ford‏Verified account @chadfordinsider 31m 31 minutes ago
More

Chad Ford Retweeted Chuck M.

This is a disagreement between his agent and Celtics. Don't pin it on Jackson. He's the most competitive/fearless player in the draft

I do enjoy when something that I joked about is apparently true.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I kind of have a soft spot for Imo's after living in Columbia for four years, but to name it as your favorite food...yikes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

xbilkis posted:

I kind of have a soft spot for Imo's after living in Columbia for four years, but to name it as your favorite food...yikes

I didn't even really care for Shakespeare's, but it was at least edible. Thank god for El Rancho

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

MourningView posted:

Imo's is right up there with that gross barf spaghetti in Cincinnati for worst regional food that is inexplicably beloved.

I love that barf spaghetti and am here to defend it's honor.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Perhaps I misunderstood - my understanding was that George was to be one of the two maxes, and acquiring George now does give more flexibility with bird rights and an extra year to the contract. It's to their advantage to get George now, but only if the price isn't too high. If Magic essentially wants three max contracts with George as one of them and the only way to get that is by having George now, then I stand corrected on that front.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I love that barf spaghetti and am here to defend it's honor.

this makes you the Bob Kardashian of Food

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Could someone describe what Provel cheese tastes like? The wiki entry just says "is a combination of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone cheeses, and tastes nothing like any of them."

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 21, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Could someone describe what Prove cheese tastes like? The wiki entry just says "is a combination of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone cheeses, and tastes nothing like any of them."

glue

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Kataphract posted:

Perhaps I misunderstood - my understanding was that George was to be one of the two maxes, and acquiring George now does give more flexibility with bird rights and an extra year to the contract. It's to their advantage to get George now, but only if the price isn't too high. If Magic essentially wants three max contracts with George as one of them and the only way to get that is by having George now, then I stand corrected on that front.

My understanding is that Magic and Rob (a budget software title from the 1990s) are looking to pair George with an all star in the summer of 2018. Trying to sign both George and another 30-35% max FA simultaneously would be extraordinarily difficult because of the sheer amount of space required. If the Lakers did nothing right now except make their draft selections, they would need upwards of 65 million in space to offer George or LeBron their max deals. To get there they would need to renounce everyone they can, and shed every salary except perhaps Lonzo, Zubac, and maybe their rookies. Even then they might be short. To the extent that this is possible (maybe tacking Ingram or future picks to Deng or Clarkson to move them), it would still not be desirable in terms of building a good team.

The less destructive strategy would involve giving up some assets now (but maybe not Ingram and multiple future picks) to acquire George. The path to a single max slot in the summer of 18, even with George's big ole cap hold, won't include stripping the entire roster bare and will be more palatable for that reason. That path could include more moderate steps, like renouncing Lopez and stretching Deng. Off the top of my head I don't know if it's possible to get to two 35% max spots with only George's cap hold and empty roster charge spots on the books.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 21, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Could someone describe what Provel cheese tastes like? The wiki entry just says "is a combination of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone cheeses, and tastes nothing like any of them."

horse cum

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

My understanding is that Magic and Rob (a budget software title from the 1990s) are looking to pair George with an all star in the summer of 2018. Trying to sign both George and another 30-35% max FA simultaneously would be extraordinarily difficult because of the sheer amount of space required. If the Lakers did nothing right now except make their draft selections, they would need upwards of 65 million in space to offer George or LeBron their max deals. To get there they would need to renounce everyone they can, and shed every salary except perhaps Lonzo, Zubac, and maybe their rookies. Even then they might be short. To the extent that this is possible (maybe tacking Ingram or future picks to Deng or Clarkson to move them), it would still not be desirable in terms of building a good team.

The less destructive strategy would involve giving up some assets now (but maybe not Ingram and multiple future picks) to acquire George. The path to a single max slot in the summer of 18, even with George's big ole cap hold, won't include stripping the entire roster bare and will be more palatable for that reason. That path could include more moderate steps, like renouncing Lopez and stretching Deng. Off the top of my head I don't know if it's possible to get to two 35% max spots with only George's cap hold and empty roster charge spots on the books.

The Lakers had 46 million in 2018 committed salary that is Ingram, Zubac, Mosgov, Deng and Clarkson. In additional to that 46 million, you had salary slots for this year's #2 pick and the 28 that was committed. Everything else was cap holds, mainly for Russell & Nance's options, and Randle's RFA (although the Lakers have several other expiring contracts for that season that one can assume they are renouncing the bird rights for). This plus stretching/paying someone to take Deng or Mosgov is two max contracts. They could have stretched Deng/Mosgov or Clarkson to create a single max roster spot (Stretching Clarkson actually would've been a pretty good idea, since he almost for sure would've signed a deal large enough to offset most of the stretch). Ingram and the guys who are picked this year never were going to need to be moved.

As it stands now, to create the second max they are still going to have to get rid of Randle. It does open up the option of them stretching Deng to keep Nance.

If they trade for George before that point, their cap hold for him is going to be 5% higher although I don't know if it makes the difference between keeping Nance or not.

I dunno, I think I would've rather had a year to see if Russell makes the typical 3rd year surge and to see Lonzo has an actual NBA skill, and feeling the climate out a bit on George and Lebron to know if they're actually moving. I mean in theory Rob Pelinka was supposed to be the dishonest GM who would tamper to find stuff out where Mitch Kupchak wouldn't, that was his literal selling point.

Rick fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 22, 2017

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Chad Ford saying that Kings are dialed in on Fox, and Ainge is dangling the 3rd pick in front of them in return for 5 and 10 so they can get him.

Celtics would be fine with Jackson or Tatum, so in that situation they would just pick whoever the Suns pass over.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=19698384&s=espn

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I like STL pizza but I'm biased and totally get why others don't.

Everybody should love our other weird regional delicacy, though: toasted ravioli!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Charlz Guybon posted:

Chad Ford saying that Kings are dialed in on Fox, and Ainge is dangling the 3rd pick in front of them in return for 5 and 10 so they can get him.

Celtics would be fine with Jackson or Tatum, so in that situation they would just pick whoever the Suns pass over.

If it worked out like that, that'd be great

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Charlz Guybon posted:

But Phoenix is going to pick whatever SF Boston doesn't and Fox would be there anyway at 5

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I don't think it has an especially distinctive taste but the texture of it is super gross to me. If they didn't insist on using that St.Louis pizza would be fine, I don't mind super thin crust

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

But Phoenix is going to pick whatever SF Boston doesn't and Fox would be there anyway at 5

This is probably true but they're shopping Knight and as a franchise have never really seemed to worry much about having too many point guards so I could see Fox being in play if they really like him. I agree Sac shouldn't make that trade though, they're in arguably the best spot in the draft. Worst case there's a decent chance you can get Smith at 10. I think everything in the Top 10 after Fultz is kind of a jumbled mess so getting two shots at it is a great place to be

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
OG Anunoby:
  • S-tier name
  • strengths video on draftexpress is just him dunking over and over
  • they're good dunks
  • wears 90s-style short shorts

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

kingcobweb posted:

OG Anunoby:
  • S-tier name
  • wears 90s-style short shorts

I knew everyone was wrong for laughing at the Jaylen Brown pick when I saw his shorts. You have my blessing Noobie

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

I don't think it has an especially distinctive taste but the texture of it is super gross to me. If they didn't insist on using that St.Louis pizza would be fine, I don't mind super thin crust

Gotcha. I assumed it was the cheese that would be the problem.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

yeah but how cool would it be for boston to get two more draft picks for no reason

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Cool Buff Man posted:

I knew everyone was wrong for laughing at the Jaylen Brown pick when I saw his shorts. You have my blessing Noobie

How do you feel about it looking like the Celtics will take Tatum over Jackson?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jota posted:

How do you feel about it looking like the Celtics will take Tatum over Jackson?

I'd rather Jackson but Tatum is no slouch and he seems like a real nice kid so I'll have no trouble rooting for him. I like that he has a high ft%!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Tatum has less upside than Jackson, but also less risk, at least on offense. Tatum is a pretty nothing defender, but there are a few people who strongly think Jackson's defense won't translate, and while it's contrary to what most people think, and what I think, honestly I've seen enough good college defenders not translate to die on that hill.

I would say a player like Tatum gets drafted every draft, and 3 out of 5 turn out to be okay.

• Locked thread