Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elotana posted:

Democrats should get rid of Pelosi because voters hate her. As of February she had a net favorability of -25 according to NBC.

I'm not saying it's justified. I'm saying it is what it is. Familiarity breeds contempt. The same poll has her numbers going back to 2005. Look at how the favorables stay constant while almost all the DKs drift to unfavorable. Is this because of Republican propaganda and ratfucking? Sure. But identifying the cause doesn't fix it. If the enemy is saturation bombing an area, you leave. You don't stay there to prove that you're tough.

"We should get rid of every single person the Republicans ratfuck people into disliking" is a great way to assure you have nobody left. It also proves that all the Republicans have to do is make a concentrated attack effort and the Democrats will do their job for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

i loving love pelosi precisely because she pisses off Rs. boohoo we couldn't win newt gingrich's seat over it. god drat.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If I were a Republican I'd want them to chuck Ryan too.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
americans have been saying "all those people in congress are terrible and need to be purged. oh except for MY congressperson he's the absolute bestest" since 1792

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

"We should get rid of every single person the Republicans ratfuck people into disliking" is a great way to assure you have nobody left.
Again, look at the change over time. Politicians have a shelf life. Yes if you replaced Pelosi with another Democrat the Republicans would start ratfucking them. But that takes time, because voters are stupid and not paying attention and you need years and years to lock in the kind of disapproval ratings she has. That's why you change leadership every so often instead of keeping the same people in charge for more than ten years.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

AriadneThread posted:

i'm getting some serious secondhand embarrassment here

there's a great schadenfreude thread in PYF; this should be crossposted

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I just spoke to Paul Ryan and he told me if the Dems want to win in 2020 they should run Lena Dunham.

Thoughts?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Boon posted:

Every single goddamn discussion about healthcare in this thread always focuses solely on who pays for healthcare and conveniently ignores cost drivers - assuming that a public option magics away any need to contain said costs.

Let the government set a list of reimbursements for procedures and pharmaceuticals alakazam

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Dear leader is speaking in Des Moines, live feeds available.

He still thinks he's running for the Presidency.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Elotana posted:

Again, look at the change over time. Politicians have a shelf life. Yes if you replaced Pelosi with another Democrat the Republicans would start ratfucking them. But that takes time, because voters are stupid and not paying attention and you need years and years to lock in the kind of disapproval ratings she has. That's why you change leadership every so often instead of keeping the same people in charge for more than ten years.

right, except 2 years, because ryan

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Boon posted:

Every single goddamn discussion about healthcare in this thread always focuses solely on who pays for healthcare and conveniently ignores cost drivers - assuming that a public option magics away any need to contain said costs.

Cost drivers like hospitals negotiating with insurance providers, or how we code different procedures, or how people are getting older and we're really good at keeping old people alive, or how care providers bill patients are a definite thing that need to be addressed.

However, if you live in a world where any of those things can be addressed in a way that doesn't get slaughtered by lobbyists or manage to screw over the poor, then I want to live in that world.

While in an ideal situation there are tons of things on the surface that could be addressed to fix problems, realistically the best way to do this is to use the power of the federal government to lean on the entire industry. To do that you have to get as many people involved as possible, meaning you open up medicare or you buy out like BCBS and give them medicare rates.

It's not ideal, but it's realistic.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Boon posted:

You play around with the costs and services covered within the framework of a public option. Pretty much every other country does it

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

awesmoe posted:

right, except 2 years, because ryan
I dunno if you heard but Ryan had a pretty high-profile gig several years before he became majority leader.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Elotana posted:

Democrats should get rid of Pelosi because voters hate her. As of February she had a net favorability of -25 according to NBC.

I'm not saying it's justified. I'm saying it is what it is. Familiarity breeds contempt. The same poll has her numbers going back to 2005. Look at how the favorables stay constant while almost all the DKs drift to unfavorable. Is this because of Republican propaganda and ratfucking? Sure. But identifying the cause doesn't fix it. If the enemy is saturation bombing an area, you leave. You don't stay there to prove that you're tough.

Elotana posted:

Again, look at the change over time. Politicians have a shelf life. Yes if you replaced Pelosi with another Democrat the Republicans would start ratfucking them. But that takes time, because voters are stupid and not paying attention and you need years and years to lock in the kind of disapproval ratings she has.

Where the gently caress is your self-respect and dignity? Politicians have a shelf-life? What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Goddamn, you're a coward. I'm literally upset that you're just parroting stupid bullshit the GOP wants idiots like you to parrot. Get mad, stand up for your leaders who have been effective. Ffs.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Elotana posted:

Who was the last leader to hold on to party leadership AFTER they lost congress? That's a good natural breaking point.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Lord posted:

You play around with the costs and services covered within the framework of a public option. Pretty much every other country does it

Yes, this is true. Our country also has far widened expectations of what healthcare entails, which turns out to be far more expensive. The medical device industry is built on that.

E: I'm not saying it's not possible, I am saying you have no idea how expansive care in the US is, culturally, and that means hard and unpopular decisions.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 22, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Elotana posted:

I dunno if you heard but Ryan had a pretty high-profile gig several years before he became majority leader.

So the only way to win elections is to never have anyone in leadership that the public has heard of?

becuase
I'm not sure you've thought your cunning plan all the way through

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Boon posted:

Where the gently caress is your self-respect and dignity? Politicians have a shelf-life? What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Goddamn, you're a coward. I'm literally upset that you're just parroting stupid bullshit the GOP wants idiots like you to parrot. Get mad, stand up for your leaders who have been effective. Ffs.

Great! Let's run Clinton again in 2020. She was an effective Senator and Sec State!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Elotana posted:

can you point to a national election that was definitively a referendum on a single sitting congressperson

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hellblazer187 posted:

Great! Let's run Clinton again in 2020. She was an effective Senator and Sec State!

Yes, this is what I said. Good job.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ekeog posted:

Specifically, Omarosa is posting this chart https://www2.usgs.gov/usgs-manual/handbook/hb/431-2-h/chap4.html from the United States Geological Survey's internal guidelines for addressing people as proof that she's officially The Honorable Omarosa.

She is without honor.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Boon posted:

Yes, this is what I said. Good job.

Stand up for leaders that have been effective, man.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

She is without honor.

We've basically written Keith Olbermann's next monologue

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Boon posted:

Yes, this is true. Our country also has far widened expectations of what healthcare entails. The medical device industry is built on that.

Public options internationally usually include reduced or negotiated prices for qualifying devices. For example, if you require an assistive device that you will be using for six months or longer, the government of Ontario will pay for 75% of the costs incurred. You're on the hook for the other 25%. They also do not pay for glasses at all, for example. Also famously there's no dental, barring necessary dental surgery performed in a hospital.

The idea that public option = everything free is GOP propaganda

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 22, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My greatest political fear is that Hillary Clinton will run again in 2020

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Hollismason posted:

My greatest political fear is that Hillary Clinton will run again in 2020

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/877682418194423808

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Boon posted:

I'm sorry you're Literally Upset and Mad Online but this is the truth. Pelosi has been the Dem leader since 2003. How many party leaders in any democratic legislature were still popular after 14 years?

It's not like I want to see Pelosi replaced with some Blue Dog gently caress. If anything I'd prefer that Democrats go left. But regardless of the direction, they need a change, if only to reset the preconceptions of swing voters.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Clinton should make it seem like she'll run in 2020 and then just not.

Make Fox News waste their time on her instead of the real candidates.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

It pretty much does. The cost is so much lower under a public option that it's functionally free money. There are reasons the costs are so much lower in other countries.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Elotana posted:

Yes if you replaced Pelosi with another Democrat the Republicans would start ratfucking them. But that takes time

lets see now, 30 frames per second, 120 frames, that comes to four seconds even

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Lord posted:

Public options internationally usually include reduced or negotiated prices for qualifying devices. For example, if you require an assistive device that you will be using for six months or longer, the government of Ontario will pay for 75% of the costs incurred. You're on the hook for the other 25%. They also do not pay for glasses at all, for example.

The idea that public option = everything free is GOP propaganda

You mistake me. Who gets what treatments are often much more selective in other countries.

In the US, everyone gets treatment so long as a method to pay for it is there. That's a cultural thing.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Glad we found a new way to have term limits chat

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/877682225797582851

trump still thinks people buy newspapers

or sell newspapers

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Craig K posted:

lets see now, 30 frames per second, 120 frames, that comes to four seconds even
If it were that easy Pelosi wouldn't have had neutral favorables in 2005, or only-slightly-negative favorables in 2009. For fucks sake did anyone read the link

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Boon posted:

Yes, this is true. Our country also has far widened expectations of what healthcare entails, which turns out to be far more expensive. The medical device industry is built on that.

E: I'm not saying it's not possible, I am saying you have no idea how expansive care in the US is, culturally, and that means hard and unpopular decisions.

Mind giving examples of some of those kind of decisions that would have to be made?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Elotana posted:

I'm sorry you're Literally Upset and Mad Online but this is the truth. Pelosi has been the Dem leader since 2003. How many party leaders in any democratic legislature were still popular after 14 years?

It's not like I want to see Pelosi replaced with some Blue Dog gently caress. If anything I'd prefer that Democrats go left. But regardless of the direction, they need a change, if only to reset the preconceptions of swing voters.

who do you suggest replace her?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Right the fact that one of the largest prescription service cannot negotiate prices probably has something to do with it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Y'all whining about Pelosi been duped by RWM.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Boon posted:

You mistake me. Who gets what treatments are often much more selective in other countries.

In the US, everyone gets treatment so long as a method to pay for it is there. That's a cultural thing.

Are you talking about surgical waiting lists that the GOP purposely misunderstands for propaganda use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
What's the favorability of Congress by party and what's the favorability of Paul Ryan?

• Locked thread