Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The greens are changing from within to more blatantly use the environment and whatever to peddle top tier, bespoke market solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Bogan King posted:

Greens aren't forming govt so you should probably just vote LNP.

Some representation is better than none, except when they gently caress up and waste what they do have like now.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Nobody in this thread was agreeing with Pauline, maybe you would have benefited from some extra instruction in your reading classes?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So anyone got the details? Only thing i can find is NSW Greens are aligned with the teachers union so took hardline stance because its the loving NSW Greens and they should be expelled.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Because the communist party of Australia ain't getting elected anytime soon :sigh:

Just remember the NSW Greens are the communist branch and god help anyone supporting that.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Solemn Sloth posted:

Because the communist party of Australia ain't getting elected anytime soon :sigh:

:smith:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Communism is good my friend.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

Communism is good my friend.

posted from my iPhone

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP posted:

posted from my iPhone

Change from within fam

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

posted from my iPhone

Made in Communist China

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Thought I might as well post this since I got some incredible support in here last year.

Once again I'm taking my life into my hands and risking insanity by doing Dry July this year. For the month of July I'll be alcohol-free, which considering the number of football games I'll be watching and State of Origin series NSW will be losing will be a very painful experience. I also have a number of birthday parties and work trips so not having a drink will likely lead to me living out some sort of existential nightmare (or just getting stuck listening to the most boring person in the universe since I won't have an easy out to escape). One way or another, this should be a wonderful experience for everyone who isn't me - why wouldn't you want to be a part?

Any help you could provide would be extremely welcome; all funds go to help people with cancer in a variety of ways (like therapies, comfort items, hospital furnishings and more). For more information on how the funds are used, please see https://www.dryjuly.com/tagged_posts.

The link is at https://www.dryjuly.com/users/peter-thorburn-2 and thanks in advance to anyone (and then curses in advance shortly thereafter)!

Now back to your regularly scheduled Greens/PHON posting!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
there's no requirement that the instruments we use to liquidate the kulaks have to be freshly forged by co-ops
jfc do you even read the comintern directives?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

posted from my bespoke green financial solutions

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Pauline Hanson is right

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/brutofficiel/status/877589807182077952

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-21/pauline-hanson-under-fire-repulsive-bigoted-comments-autism/8640328

:siren:
:siren:

Yep I'm sure the one full of poo poo here.

gently caress you Milky Moor you smegma filled collostomy bag reject. And take Dancing Shade with you on your trip to the aerobic trench. Fascist apologists. Agreeing with Pauline Hanson should at least trigger something in that atrophied organ in your head that you are in need of a trip to the room of mirrors.

This just in, Cartoon falls into the 44% of people who can't read. Tragic.

Point to where I agreed with her. Quote the part of my post.

edit: Wait, I found it for you, Cartoon.

quote:

But the answer isn't removing them from the system, particularly when I'm pretty sure the 'special schools' have been gutted for years. Where are these kids going to go? The schools which all the other kids mock? Segregated classes to the same effect?

These kids need to be included, because it's the only way to make people not abuse them.

wait hang on that's the wrong part, that's the part where i disagree with hanson. poo poo.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 22, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I think this is supposed to be comedy? It's actually quite hard to tell if it is or isn't though, so it's either a poo poo opinion piece or a worse piece of comedy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zenithe posted:

I think this is supposed to be comedy? It's actually quite hard to tell if it is or isn't though, so it's either a poo poo opinion piece or a worse piece of comedy.

The writer is a satirist but thats pretty lovely satire

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
WHEN HE HIMSELF IS MADE FROM CARBON!

Actually though, what the gently caress should the greens do with gonski 2.0. Should they support it?

It's less funding than Gonski 1, but seems like it's simpler and better targeted as well as fairer than Gonski 1. Gonski 1 is almost certainly dead so do they allow funding to be cut and get a better distribution or block it and try to keep the higher funding.

Criticise the greens all you like for *splits* but gently caress guys, some issues don't have easy answers and you're criticising the party for actually having principles rather than being all "I believe *checks notes*".

We rightly lambasted labor for not being loving sure whether or not they should support drug testing welfare recipients when the answer should be loving obvious, and then we're kicking the greens for not being able to easily find an answer to a complicated problem.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lid posted:

On this, we agree.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Milky Moor posted:

This just in, Cartoon falls into the 44% of people who can't read. Tragic.

Point to where I agreed with her. Quote the part of my post.
You said I was full of poo poo for disagreeing with her.... So.

Milky Moor posted:

You say a lot of poo poo, Cartoon, but this might just take the cake.
If you can't make your case more clearly than a blanket ad hominem (including this recent follow up) then I wouldn't start impuning other people's educational standards. But please keep on taking shots you dumb muppet.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Cartoon posted:

gently caress you Milky Moor you smegma filled collostomy bag reject.

Hahaha wow.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

here's my argument

gonski 2 uses a better model than current school funding, cool.
it provides more funding than what is currently legislated. it provides less funding than labor has promised they would provide. labor's promise is immaterial because they are not in power, and can increase funding when they're elected.
the crossbenchers have gotten some significant concessions from the government, chief among them an independent body to supervise schools funding.

seems like a fairly reasonable package to support. the labor chuds will cry about lnp-greens collusion but the greens aren't the ones who line up to support torturing refugees and increasing the power of the police and intelligence agencies so they can go gently caress themselves

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cartoon posted:

You said I was full of poo poo for disagreeing with her.... So.
If you can't make your case more clearly than a blanket ad hominem (including this recent follow up) then I wouldn't start impuning other people's educational standards. But please keep on taking shots you dumb muppet.

Man who says secondary school exams are easy tries to rail against the educational standards of someone who says that's the wrong perspective to take. Oh, Cartoon. One day you'll stop making GBS threads in holes and join the 21st Century. I'm glad that you found the one kid in your class who had trouble reading, but there's way more than one kid with that issue in any modern classroom.

Let's take your point apart.

"Let's be brutally frank: The HSC isn't all that loving hard"

The HSC -- and other secondary exams, by extension -- is easy.

"If you are bright and apply yourself you'll do well"

You'll do well, if you are bright and apply yourself. Therefore, the kids who don't pass the easy exam aren't bright or apply themselves. They are, in a sense, choosing to fail. This is a bootstraps-level argument.

"despite the attention of any number of teachers."

A strange point, given that the HSC isn't hard. If it isn't hard, why do we even need teachers?

Your point -- that the HSC is both easy but also reliant on students being bright and knowing to apply themselves -- is incoherent.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"Pfft, learning the alphabet isn't hard. If you were smart and weren't so lazy, you'd just know it. Nothing personal, kid." - Cartoon, to a kindergarten class.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Lid posted:

So anyone got the details? Only thing i can find is NSW Greens are aligned with the teachers union so took hardline stance because its the loving NSW Greens and they should be expelled.

Just remember the NSW Greens are the communist branch and god help anyone supporting that.

Justin Field is that you

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Milky what the gently caress are you even arguing for here

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Recoome posted:

good posts

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

posted from my iPhone

[nothing gets past this guy]

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hooman posted:

WHEN HE HIMSELF IS MADE FROM CARBON!

Actually though, what the gently caress should the greens do with gonski 2.0. Should they support it?

It's less funding than Gonski 1, but seems like it's simpler and better targeted as well as fairer than Gonski 1. Gonski 1 is almost certainly dead so do they allow funding to be cut and get a better distribution or block it and try to keep the higher funding.

Criticise the greens all you like for *splits* but gently caress guys, some issues don't have easy answers and you're criticising the party for actually having principles rather than being all "I believe *checks notes*".

We rightly lambasted labor for not being loving sure whether or not they should support drug testing welfare recipients when the answer should be loving obvious, and then we're kicking the greens for not being able to easily find an answer to a complicated problem.

They put up a list of requirements for supporting it, got the government to agree, then hosed around taking so long to resolve dumb splits that the government went and negotiated with Pauline Hanson instead.

I'm sure it won't be too long before someone from NSW comes in to fly the flag about how actually we are right and furthermore at the Sydney university young trotskist club I

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

BBJoey posted:

here's my argument

gonski 2 uses a better model than current school funding, cool.
it provides more funding than what is currently legislated. it provides less funding than labor has promised they would provide. labor's promise is immaterial because they are not in power, and can increase funding when they're elected.
the crossbenchers have gotten some significant concessions from the government, chief among them an independent body to supervise schools funding.

seems like a fairly reasonable package to support. the labor chuds will cry about lnp-greens collusion but the greens aren't the ones who line up to support torturing refugees and increasing the power of the police and intelligence agencies so they can go gently caress themselves

That's pretty much my take on it, although I haven't paid it a great deal of attention.

What's the union's objection to it? Just less funding than Labor promised? Certain members who won't do as well under a needs based model?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Recoome posted:

This isn't an argument. That implies a sense of equality between opponents.

Just because a literal neanderthal is making GBS threads in my yard doesn't make the fact that I'm telling him that we invented sanitation years ago an argument.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
For someone banging on about other poster's reading ability, it's weird that you seem to think that taking chunks of sentences out of the context of the whole is an argument or something?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Milky Moor posted:

Man who says secondary school exams<snip>
Back pedal harder! Only 40 075 km to go.

Also keep digging the ad homenin holes, they never fail to win arguments.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

They put up a list of requirements for supporting it, got the government to agree, then hosed around taking so long to resolve dumb splits that the government went and negotiated with Pauline Hanson instead.

I'm sure it won't be too long before someone from NSW comes in to fly the flag about how actually we are right and furthermore at the Sydney university young trotskist club I

Too late

Aesculus posted:

Justin Field is that you

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Here's a summary for those of you unable to keep up:

- Hanson was talking about how bright kids ("Most of the time the teacher spends so much time on them they forget about the child who wants to go ahead in leaps and bounds in their education, but are held back by those.") were being held back by teachers being distracted by disabled students.
- Cartoon said that bright students who apply themselves don't need teachers that much because the HSC is easy for them if they just apply themselves so Hanson's comment is full of poo poo.
- Milky Moor thinks Cartoon is saying most kids (not just bright kids in particular) don't need teachers and should all just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Gets pissy.
- Cartoon thinks Milky Moor is saying Pauline Hanson is right. Gets pissy.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Futuresight posted:

- Hanson was talking about how bright kids ("Most of the time the teacher spends so much time on them they forget about the child who wants to go ahead in leaps and bounds in their education, but are held back by those.") were being held back by teachers being distracted by disabled students.
- Cartoon said that bright students who apply themselves don't need teachers that much because the HSC is easy for them if they just apply themselves so Hanson's comment is full of poo poo.
- Milky Moor thinks Cartoon is saying most kids (not just bright kids in particular) don't need teachers and should all just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Gets pissy.

So what you're saying is they're both wrong?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Futuresight posted:

Thank you, thread archivist.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Cartoons link says that assistant teachers exist in most classrooms for the disadvantaged meaning that the main teacher isn't distracted in the first place.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Lid posted:

I thought it was on par with this thread. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Cartoons link says that assistant teachers exist in most classrooms for the disadvantaged meaning that the main teacher isn't distracted in the first place.

the smog is affecting your thinking

• Locked thread