Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Kokoro Wish posted:

a secret campaign in Africa

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Every regressive shitlord thinks they'll be a member of the party when the blackshirts take over. They might be carrying a card but that hasn't done a lot of people good historically. The need of an enemy in fascism means the knives turn inward.

And outwards.

> Shitlords: Solve our unemployment problems oh Pepe Hitler!
> Pepe Hitler: Ok. You're all conscripted. Have fun at the front.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

rkajdi posted:

The problem is what was posted there just looks like the Protocols of Zion with the serial numbers filed off. Complaints about transnational capital run by "elites" seem to just be the same old poo poo with enough of a new coat of paint to sell to the left. It's about blaming some different person who doesn't have stupid, unyielding loyalty to your nation the way you, the sober working class white, do. There's also the unwritten assumption that because I was born in country X, I am more worthy of gaining employment in country X. That's a dangerous as gently caress idea, because that's the end of free migration of people and also the beginning of supporting the kind of nativism that tends to end with a pile of foreign or minority corpses. The solution is better education for people from day one, but good luck on getting the My Country Right or Wrong types to shut up and sit down when their kids are taught that there's nothing special about being born a citizen.

Isn't the EU the main reason why lots of these nations have to accept the refugees from the Middle East? I mean, they could leave the EU, but most of their economies would be wrecked, so they are forced into making their nations a bit more multi-cultural. I'd call that a direct improvement over where Europe was a century ago. Additionally, everyone in the world is better off with European peace, which the EU-style co-operation has made happen.

It's also always telling when you're on the same side of a position as Nigel Farange. Leave was powered by the same issues we see in the US with nativism (i.e. Want to get ahead because you won the vaginal lottery. Also not wanting to talk to anyone with an accent or press 1 for English) and acting like there's some great leftist cover for acting like an Ugly Native and wanting a cheap leg up in the job market.

I agree with this in a very broad sense. However, as a Keynsian, you should know that any honest defence of globalism (FoC and FoM) would attempt to grapple with at least three key issues:

1. The fact that economists constantly and routinely underestimate transition costs in most economic transactions. Workers cannot simply pick up and leave every time they need a new job. Skills and education aren't really that transferrable and retraining in many cases (as jobs become more high-skill) is impossible. The reality is that most people cannot adjust very quickly to the marketplace and can't really learn radically new skills either (gets worse with age). Blaming the WWC for failing to move and retrain is kind of a dead end, because this sort of thing happens everywhere and all the time. Workers who are no longer needed are discarded by the capitalist system and end up never being able to find work again.

2. The long-term distortion of local markets by global supply and demand and the damage this can do to those markets. This is really evident when distant investors use local property as investment vehicles and then leave it fallow (see London, Toronto), or serious fluctuations in commodities prices wreck simple economies that are based on those commodities and raw materials. These kinds of changes can significantly alter local economic landscapes and drive local economies into poverty that they often can't escape because of 1)

3. Rodrik's Trilema (http://rodrik.typepad.com/dani_rodriks_weblog/2007/06/the-inescapable.html). Basically, the idea is similar to the golden straightjacket. Closer economic ties with global partners leave sovereign nations less able to manage their internal economy, less able to resist corporate pressure with regard to business-unfriendly regulations and less able to take unilateral action. This latter bit may seem fine (American unilateralism has been pretty poo poo of late), except for the fact that the ability of a nation to resist being exploited by setting up labor laws, or attempting to fight global warming, are all seriously undermined. The cost is that crappy agreements like the TPP lock nations into terrible paths of pollution, exploitation and anti-innovation IP laws.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Falstaff posted:

Wait, what?

Africa has seen the most dramatic growth in the deployment of America’s elite troops of any region of the globe over the past decade, according to newly released numbers.

Today, according to U.S. military documents obtained by VICE News, special operators are carrying out nearly 100 missions at any given time — in Africa alone. It’s the latest sign of the military’s quiet but ever-expanding presence on the continent, one that represents the most dramatic growth in the deployment of America’s elite troops to any region of the globe.

And just to note, Somala is by its self was one of the list of neo-con targets that the US has never stopped entering, even all through the years of Democratic party rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8FhZnFZ6TY

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 20, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

rkajdi posted:

If the best fit is an immigrant over the a lower value domestic worker, you don't give it to the latter just because he was born on the "right" side of an arbitrary border (also maybe falling into more arcane rules depending on how poo poo your nation is)

And what makes up this value?

Working for lower wages and being paid cash in hand circumventing the income tax system?

Being less hesitant to complain about work conditions or being abused by an employer?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

most illegal immigrants at least in the us get a tax id number (the irs doesn't give a poo poo they just want their money) so they pay income taxes for the most part.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

And what makes up this value?

Working for lower wages and being paid cash in hand circumventing the income tax system?

Being less hesitant to complain about work conditions or being abused by an employer?

Since I'm discussing legal immigration, a lot of the reasoning is the anyone taking the effort to immigrate is higher motivated by default. If they were low motivation, they wouldn't have left their home country. And we have pretty good documentation that immigrants are less criminal than natural citizens, so there's the whole higher compliance to society thing too.

Poaching the best and brightest that the rest of the world wants to throw away because they don't pray or screw the way the locals like is a great way to get a lot of talent quickly. And even if you miss and just get someone average, it's not a loss or anything. That's been the American success from immigration throughout history, and we shouldn't shrink up in our shell just because some citizens think they get to cut in the job line because they think being born in country makes them more worthy.

EDIT:

Guavanaut posted:

By that myopic metric you're on the same side of the issue as Nick Griffin.

Last time I checked Nick Griffin wasn't the face of Stay. Farange basically ran the Leave campaign from what we saw overseas.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 20, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Returning to actual youtube stuff, if you guys like Garret he put out a pretty good video against an article attempting to drew an equivalency between the hard left and hard right by using the Portland killer as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVuSRjcBwG0

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I saw this in my Recommendations while watching Garrett's video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weiQx3rKg7o

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

NikkolasKing posted:

I saw this in my Recommendations while watching Garrett's video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weiQx3rKg7o

Oh hey, I forgot Sam Seder was still around. I use to listen to his show on Air America Radio.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 20, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh hey, I forgot Sam Seder was still around. I use to listen to his show on Air America Radio.

He seems like a cool dude. I just started subscribing. In terms of "YouTube news" I follow him and Democracy Now.

Young Turks were never for me. Seems all the proper Leftists on YT hate them, too.

But in terms of Seder himself, he has apparently asked to be on Rubin's show. Several more Progressives YouTubers have and Rubin turns them down.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WHat is the deal with the Young Turks anyway? I never watched their show but keep hearing about them.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Best you go watch them for yourself. Personally I find the main TYT channel unbearably Liberal at times, plus they cover alot of frivolous poo poo and alot of the hosts are just terrible.

On the other hand TYT Politics, which is their investigative reporting and analytics arm tends to do not bad work. In alot of cases they're some of the only people on the ground covering some important things.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=seAl1fm0iDE

Rationals might move onto vidme. So now we can watch them without letting it affect our feed on YouTube.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=seAl1fm0iDE

Rationals might move onto vidme. So now we can watch them without letting it affect our feed on YouTube.

Folding Ideas has a great video breaking down Vidme's flaws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3snVCRo_bI

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

WampaLord posted:

The best part of that video for me, which I had never thought of, is that "alternative" sites like vidme are basically doomed to only receive the dregs of the platform they're trying to usurp. Which basically dooms them from the start. At least without heavy cultivation.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

NikkolasKing posted:

He seems like a cool dude. I just started subscribing. In terms of "YouTube news" I follow him and Democracy Now.

Young Turks were never for me. Seems all the proper Leftists on YT hate them, too.

But in terms of Seder himself, he has apparently asked to be on Rubin's show. Several more Progressives YouTubers have and Rubin turns them down.

Note, that's not Sam Seder, that co-host Michael Brook, who by and large is better than Sam himself in alot of cases. I used to subscribe to them before the general and like alot of Liberal pundits, they lost their loving minds defending Clinton and bashing down any mention of leaks and potential primary biases (they did support Sanders during the primary, though). They pretty much revealed themselves to by a bit smug libby New York types. Given their offices overlook the Gowanas, that's not a surprise.

They don't go into problems with the Democrats and their failings very often, if at all really, focussing instead on the usual Trump/Republican bashing and foreign affairs. Oh and being snippy at other YouTube people like Jimmy Dore and the like. The Dore one is particularly sad because while Dore lost the debate as a competitive exercise, time has basically proved the point they were contesting

Brook did debate Sargon of Akkad though. I forget what on, but Sargon got shut down rater quickly, despite initially trying to big-dog Alpha bully his way through it. This later brought out accusations of Brook muting Sargon's mike at points, despite the fact you can hear Sargon sputtering away in the background.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 20, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Beat me to it with the VidMe response from Dan Olsen. I don't see how a YouTube competitor could ever work, given that YouTube doesn't actually make money for Google. Maybe it can limp along like Twitter, but I don't think the VC money is flowing all that well anymore.

I do agree with Aurini that there seems to be an attempt to make YouTube more sane web (e.g. "Corporate") and less wild wild web. Difference is that I see it as a good thing, not a bad one. No platforming guys like this also has the double effect of basically ending the weirder fringe of SJW YouTube also. I like what they do, but 90% of it is making GBS threads on the weirdies of the alt right who basically wouldn't be putting out videos without YouTube being alt-right/MRA friendly.

Main thing I've been wondering is if YouTube is going to keep subsidizing their adless videos. IIRC, you pay to host vids with them without ads, but if you're extreme content you get no ads and you don't pay. Just forcing dead weight to pay for their adless videos would go a long way to pushing out the more extreme content. Sargon is willing to put videos up when they're free for him even if they don't make anything off ads since he has Patreon. If he pays per view, since his content is racist and un-monetizable, he might think about going off to VidMe or whatever the alt right site of choice is and then is dead when this site pulls a voat and implodes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Note, that's not Sam Seder, that co-host Michael Brook, who by and large is better than Sam himself in alot of cases. I used to subscribe to them before the general and like alot of Liberal pundits, they lost their loving minds defending Clinton and bashing down any mention of leaks and potential primary biases (they did support Sanders during the primary, though). They pretty much revealed themselves to by a bit smug libby New York types. Given their offices overlook the Gowanas, that's not a surprise.

They don't go into problems with the Democrats and their failings very often, if at all really, focussing instead on the usual Trump/Republican bashing and foreign affairs. Oh and being snippy at other YouTube people like Jimmy Dore and the like. The Dore one is particularly sad because while Dore lost the debate as a competitive exercise, time has basically proved the point they were contesting

Brook did debate Sargon of Akkad though. I forget what on, but Sargon got shut down rater quickly, despite initially trying to big-dog Alpha bully his way through it. This later brought out accusations of Brook muting Sargon's mike at points, despite the fact you can hear Sargon sputtering away in the background.

Yeah I'm aware that isn't Sam. I've been watching a select few of their vids lately, like talking to an absolutely amazingly stupid race realist who called in.

I kind of was turned off when I saw a video from them doing exactly what you said, basically towing the "if you don't support Hillary it means you literally want to kill all the minorities" line that was popular everywhere (including here) going into the election. I've talked to non-US citizens who justifiably criticize our system because we hold third party candidates in such disdain when they should be a respected part of any healthy democracy.

But yeah, the show isn't ideal or anything but they touch on some stuff I enjoy. I never watched Jimmy Dore until yesterday because he had some videos with Mark Blyth from a couple months ago and they popped up in my Recommendations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Today has been quite the day for the Progressives of YouTube. We had Garrett of course and now a couple more too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZZIx3X_-VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUuBd5VRbY

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, the show isn't ideal or anything but they touch on some stuff I enjoy. I never watched Jimmy Dore until yesterday because he had some videos with Mark Blyth from a couple months ago and they popped up in my Recommendations.

Yeah, the Blyth interviews are pretty good, as are his ones with Thomas Frank, author of the book Listen, Liberal!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

I just saw that debate, and Sargon's he was even more obnoxious than he was when he was debating Destiny. He kept accusing Michael of being part of the "regressive left', along with Ezra Klein, and Glenn Greenwald, without ever bothering to define what that means as Michael kept pointing out for nearly an hour. It's amazing how loving smug that douchebag is. My favorite bit was at the end:

Michael: Do you think we need a White history month?
Sargon: Of course not, that would be absurd.
Michael: Oh okay, good. For a sec, I thought you were gonna say something stu...
Sargon: ..I also don't think we should have a Black history month.
Michael: :smith: Okay, why should we not have a Black history month?
Sargon: Because it's racist! You are aware of MLK's famous quote about judging on character and not skin color, are you not? :smug:
Michael: You are aware that MLK supported Affirmative Action, right?
Sargon: I already knew that. But what does that have to do with anything? :confused:
Michael: :psyboom:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Contra on point as always. The video essay is turning into a viable form for public discourse in the 21st century. I really look forward to a future where the predominant mode of political expression inevitably involves weird cut-away gags and elaborate running jokes.

I really feel the worry at the end of this one about having no confidence that truth or justice will win out or that ideas circulate relative to their rigor or strength.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Contra on point as always. The video essay is turning into a viable form for public discourse in the 21st century. I really look forward to a future where the predominant mode of political expression inevitably involves weird cut-away gags and elaborate running jokes.

I really feel the worry at the end of this one about having no confidence that truth or justice will win out or that ideas circulate relative to their rigor or strength.

Proponents of the free market of ideas never really explain how the best ones are supposed to win (and why many times they don't), except with vague appeals to "inherent rationality".

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Contra made a good, but pretty overlooked point when it comes to the whole free speech issue. The people who always seem to complain about that stuff always seem to only care when it's about curtailing certain people's right to attack - well, let's not complicate it - minorities. When you make a thousand videos on how it's the height of tyranny that some shithead is not allowed to talk about how gay people aren't equal to heterosexuals at a college campus, and yet make hardly a peep at say, state laws banning protests, it's not that difficult to figure out what you really seem to support.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lindsay Ellis is awesome and is like if Heather survived the Blair Witch.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 21, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

I just saw that debate, and Sargon's he was even more obnoxious than he was when he was debating Destiny. He kept accusing Michael of being part of the "regressive left', along with Ezra Klein, and Glenn Greenwald, without ever bothering to define what that means as Michael kept pointing out for nearly an hour. It's amazing how loving smug that douchebag is. My favorite bit was at the end:

lol ezra klein is the most centrist centrist that ever centered.

also lmao at a brit who probably has no loving clue about american history and in particular the black experience whining about black history month.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stephen Crowder put up a "rebuttal" to John Oliver's recent episode on coal.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Mr Interweb posted:

and a retard monkey ate it's own poo poo this morning, who cares?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Crain posted:

The best part of that video for me, which I had never thought of, is that "alternative" sites like vidme are basically doomed to only receive the dregs of the platform they're trying to usurp. Which basically dooms them from the start. At least without heavy cultivation.

Vimeo seems to be doing okay, though it's kind of carved out a niche by not being ad-based, so it's mostly industry people (or people who want to be industry) showing off what they are doing.

EDIT:

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol ezra klein is the most centrist centrist that ever centered.

also lmao at a brit who probably has no loving clue about american history and in particular the black experience whining about black history month.

I'd call Ezra Klein more of an elite liberal. He's definitely to the left of much of the country, but the whole Ivy-League-education-and-getting-rich-in-tech-adjacent-fields puts him in circles that are generally too experienced and educated to be able to jive with the current populism out there.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 21, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's a Black History Month in the UK too. It's in October to reflect the month of abolition of the slave trade in the empire, so there's a Juneteenth element to it too, but aiui it's quite different to BHM in the US, due to the different histories of African and African-Caribbean people in the two countries.

I don't know how schools market that now, if at all, it seems mostly a thing for African bookstores to have big signs out and maybe some public speakers and traditional culture stuff in the town square.

Of course, that doesn't stop stupid fuckers from importing whatever the latest American Right hot takes about it are. Ugandan dancers and a Jamaican food stand in my town square? Where's my white dancers and food stands? *ignores the annual Morris dance and sausage festival and also shits pants*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

I'd call Ezra Klein more of an elite liberal. He's definitely to the left of much of the country, but the whole Ivy-League-education-and-getting-rich-in-tech-adjacent-fields puts him in circles that are generally too experienced and educated to be able to jive with the current populism out there.

liberals are centrists. klein is one of those clowns that dreams of civility and bipartisanship.

Guavanaut posted:

There's a Black History Month in the UK too. It's in October to reflect the month of abolition of the slave trade in the empire, so there's a Juneteenth element to it too, but aiui it's quite different to BHM in the US, due to the different histories of African and African-Caribbean people in the two countries.

if sargon wasn't an idiot he'd know there is already a white history month. actually there are 11 of em.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If he wasn't an angry dork he'd just go out and have some pulled pork and listen to someone talk about Zimbabwe for 10 minutes instead of raging about his shut-in impression of something that half the country is only dimly aware of.

As is, he'd probably argue that there isn't 11 because there's also British Asian history month in November and LGBT history month in February and Irish history month in March because everything is an attack on him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Is he the one who had never kissed a woman prior to his wedding? Surely worth our time to discuss.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Guavanaut posted:

Of course, that doesn't stop stupid fuckers from importing whatever the latest American Right hot takes about it are. Ugandan dancers and a Jamaican food stand in my town square? Where's my white dancers and food stands? *ignores the annual Morris dance and sausage festival and also shits pants*

Isn't your country unified in a hatred of Morris dancing, at least this is what your exported comedy programmes have led me to believe

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Is he the one who had never kissed a woman prior to his wedding? Surely worth our time to discuss.

Quite the rebuttal of his arguments there

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah sure, but it's not like this guy is any dumber than someone like Sargon or any of the other alt-fighters with YouTube channels.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this real? I feel like this can't be real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlN9plBx6Ho

The kid just walks into every insult and meekly submits to verbal bullying over a telephone. More of an ashamed boy than a proud one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is this real? I feel like this can't be real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlN9plBx6Ho

The kid just walks into every insult and meekly submits to verbal bullying over a telephone. More of an ashamed boy than a proud one.

This is like the equivalent of Sov Citizens thinking that as long as they say the magic words the cop can't do anything to them. Except in this case the magic words are being calmly racist and trying to insult the beta liberal cuck's sexuality so they'll crumple into a pile of sputtering tears. And just like how the cop usually just arrests the SovCit, the liberal just openly laughs at the idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Quite the rebuttal of his arguments there

Implying there's an argument to rebut.

• Locked thread