Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

EthanSteele posted:

I just called them up about another thing and asked when they expected Susanoo to get in and "this month maybe? maybe next month" was the answer.

Goddamn. I have Brawny coming from them next week in theory so that's something to tide me over but damnit I want my samurai tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good Listener posted:

Well yes but it's also about finding space for this big boy haha

Black Shadow is exactly the right size to not look out of place at all with the Masterpiece Decepticons.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Phy posted:

Black Shadow is exactly the right size to not look out of place at all with the Masterpiece Decepticons.

Proof!

The leader guys are a good size for the MP shelf.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Phy posted:

Oh I mean finding a spot for Overlord when I do have Sky Shadow already haha...and Sixshot..

I'm sure I will find the space. We work hard for the things we love~

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TheDK posted:

Proof!

If they remolded some parts of the Combiner Wars Devastator, he could easily be a Masterpiece Devastator. Basically, all you'd have to do is fill in the empty spots on the arms and legs, give Scrapper and Long Haul elbows, give them new hands with gripping fingers and make the wheels look a little better and you're done. Except for Long Haul and Mixmaster, all of them are extremely cartoon accurate.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Okay Roberts, I am officially back on board. I am SO back on board

https://twitter.com/Serika_Izumi/status/877467396176564224

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

If they remolded some parts of the Combiner Wars Devastator, he could easily be a Masterpiece Devastator. Basically, all you'd have to do is fill in the empty spots on the arms and legs, give Scrapper and Long Haul elbows, give them new hands with gripping fingers and make the wheels look a little better and you're done. Except for Long Haul and Mixmaster, all of them are extremely cartoon accurate.

Didn't the designer straight up say he started with ideas he had for an MP Devastator, then scaled it down some to fit the CW line?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Okay Roberts, I am officially back on board. I am SO back on board

https://twitter.com/Serika_Izumi/status/877467396176564224

Is the yellow guy Grapple?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I saw TLK.

It has as many issues as TF movies tend to but I really want the likes of Cogman, Nitro Zeus, Mohawk, and Daytrader to find their way into the broader canon.

Hot Rod was actually fun.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Is the yellow guy Grapple?

yup, and I think it's Smokescreen, not Bluestreak with them

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

TheDK posted:

Proof!

That's a badass group of Decepticons.

yup, and I think it's Smokescreen, not Bluestreak with them

I feel like Smokescreen should always have smoke around him so we don't confuse him with Bluestreak.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

pubic works project posted:

I feel like Smokescreen should always have smoke around him so we don't confuse him with Bluestreak.

:rimshot:

meanwhile, here's the cover for next weeks new Lost Light and...

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/877616321659273217

well that's Magnus and Megatron there, I think

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He should be vaping

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

:rimshot:

meanwhile, here's the cover for next weeks new Lost Light and...

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/877616321659273217

well that's Magnus and Megatron there, I think

That's Megatron and Terminus and what I believe are Orion's lower arms.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's a badass group of Decepticons.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's Bluestreak. Smokescreen has gold head thingies, not red.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

YES!!!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So TLK was pretty decent, I didn't spend at least 1/3rd of the movie hating my life. There were some pretty good action scenes, that were mostly coherent.

Some stuff to argue with on, in spoilers:

Cogman is a headmaster, but never turns into a head.
Squeeks is worthless, and before you say "But he did that one thing at the end," It was made worthless by the event that was happening.
So the Dinobots are around, but don't show up for the final battle? Where the gently caress did they come from in their last apperance. They must transform into Graboids to move that fast. Do the Dinobot puppies imply Dinobot loving or can they shrink? Where the gently caress were Scorn and Strafe?
Hahaha, Toy Dragonstorm is going to be inaccurate no matter what.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Anora posted:

Some stuff to argue with on, in spoilers:

Cogman is a headmaster, but never turns into a head.

Him doing this was definitely in the original summary I heard - my guess is it was cut for time
Would have been a really cool scene too...

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I was hoping it would happen at some time, Anthony Hopkins specifically mentions it too. That dude had more screen time then Bumble Bee as well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gammatron 64 posted:

If I recall properly the Takara version fixes at least a couple of those issues

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Dear MMC or Maketoys, please make IDW-looking FirstAid, Cosmos and Getaway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ka0 posted:

Dear MMC or Maketoys, please make IDW-looking FirstAid, Cosmos and Getaway.
An actual First aid would be fantastic. I've been tempting to pick up the combiner one, but their combiners tend to go down a ton so I'm waiting it out.

I'm not sure anyone actually bought it per se though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I can't believe anyone liked The Last Knight. I can't even begin to list the issues I had with it. But hey, I'm glad they took a page from Rogue One Force Awakens and had a young girl scavenging with her small robot friend.

I'm not going to post any major spoilers, but man, the movie focused way too much on humans vs. robots. I mean, the basic concept of Transformers is Autobot vs. Decepticon, how the hell do you mess that up?

Also, the physics nerd in me was blowing up at the entire world not being destroyed just by the proximity of Cybertron to the Earth

Medullah fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 22, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Medullah posted:

I can't believe anyone liked The Last Knight. I can't even begin to list the issues I had with it. But hey, I'm glad they took a page from Rogue One and had a young girl scavenging with her small robot friend.

I think you're confusing your star wars movies

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think you're confusing your star wars movies

Hahaha dammit.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Medullah posted:

I can't believe anyone liked The Last Knight. I can't even begin to list the issues I had with it. But hey, I'm glad they took a page from Rogue One Force Awakens and had a young girl scavenging with her small robot friend.

I'm not going to post any major spoilers, but man, the movie focused way too much on humans vs. robots. I mean, the basic concept of Transformers is Autobot vs. Decepticon, how the hell do you mess that up?

Also, the physics nerd in me was blowing up at the entire world not being destroyed just by the proximity of Cybertron to the Earth

It's not going to win any best writing oscars, but when I have to compare it to drat RotF and AoE, it's like a masterpiece.

Basically, I think TLK is the best of Bayformers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anora posted:

It's not going to win any best writing oscars, but when I have to compare it to drat RotF and AoE, it's like a masterpiece.

I dunno man. There was just so much random crap thrown into this one. AOE and TLK suffered from the same problem, they had 90 minutes of viable plot that they tacked into 2.5 hours.

4 at least had Lockdown who was a solid villain, and as bad as their introduction was, once the Dinobots started doing work it was a few minutes of "HELL YEAH!". This one just did not have any enjoyable action scenes. My only hope for the next one is they realize that humans, Autobots and Decepticons have to work together to keep both worlds going, since I'm sure Earth's orbit is beyond hosed and summers are going to be in the 200s while winters will be -100.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Anora posted:

The first film is the only one that isn't garbage, including this one. It's not ugly and repulsive like 2 and 4, but it's incredibly boring and stupid like 3, so it wins no points. 2 1/2 hours but felt like 3 1/2. I could cut an hour out of it and you'd never notice it was gone. Even with how bloated it is there are constant shot-to-shot continuity errors, Hopkins spouts inane exposition for almost a full hour total, Optimus is in maybe 15 minutes of the film and 10% of his dialogue consists of "I AM OPTIMUS PRIME," everyone is a non-character throughout, most of the film is really just people you don't care about talking, John Turturro still refuses to go the gently caress away, and the final act is so unengaging I started thinking about other movies to occupy the time.

More spoilery things:

There's an interesting amount of what can only be the writers' group trying to explain lovely writing from the previous movies as some kind of worldbuilding idea in this one, most notably the very brief suggestion by Hopkins' character that Transformers are naturally monstrous murder psychos, but can sublimate those instincts by redirecting it into more constructive behaviors. This comes after Cogman, initially portrayed as a stuffy butler, leaps over a table and tries to kill Marky Mark for sassing the female lead. To reinforce this, all the Autobots still constantly physically abuse one another and pull knives on each other and poo poo, which seems to be meant as comedy relief but mostly comes off as weird and pathetic. It reminded me of all the weird CG slapstick George Lucas kept shoving into the prequels and Special Editions of Star Wars.

The King Arthur "they've been part of history forever" premise really isn't a bad idea for the basis of a Transformers film series, but you're already five films into this liquid poo poo of a series and it's too loving late. Maybe they'll have something if they can finally pry Bay off this thing's hull like a barnacle, but really it feels like even he's sick of this crap at this point. The movie even directly pokes fun at Bay's usual methods of making endless exposition seem "epic," with little humorous result, but there is a little bit of self-awareness there, which was...I hesitate to say nice, but I guess made me feel a little less like I was taking crazy pills?

Honestly it's almost impressive how much apathy this movie managed to generate in me for its plot and characters. It's just a series of moving objects on a screen punctuated by incredibly loud noises (albeit not nearly as loud as the planes in the Dunkirk trailer -- goddamn, Nolan, leave us what little remains of our hearing after Interstellar, would you?). The only really positive thing I can say is that Welker gets to ham it up pretty well in a few scenes, and I'm pretty sure whoever was in charge of Megatron's animation is a TF fan, because there were some pretty great "Megatron moments" here and there.

1.5 out of 5, and it only gets the .5 because it wasn't quite as terrible as Revenge of the Fallen and we're getting some nice MP figures out of it.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 22, 2017

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
With TLK there was no one moment that was awful to the extent of RotF's twins or the R&J speech in AoE. I could tell who was who in this one. The Transformers were there from start to finish. they seemed to try to solve Psychomas Prime. There was human stuff, but there's always human stuff, and of the 5 movies this one annoyed me the least with it. At least the human stuff pushed us to the TFs instead of kept us away from it.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

I am not sure why they were playing TLK for $5 last night at 6:45, but I considered that as admission to that theater's diner, which has tasty food you can take into the theater. So it was worth that, I guess. It was a movie.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Pushed us to the TF lore, maybe, but there's a giant stretch in the middle of the movie where absolutely nothing happens, TF related or not. After Cade leaves with Cogman, all major Transformers other than Cogman and Bumblebee basically vanish from the film for an hour. There's the quick bit with Hot Rod being French for some reason, they tease Bumblebee in WWII for the solo picture next year (presumably), and then you don't even get the payoff of Cogman being a Headmaster. The second act of the movie spends over an hour dispensing information that could have been laid out in 10 minutes.

Again, I'll take incredibly boring and stupid over incredibly boring, stupid, racist, misogynist, and gross (although the racism and misogyny do make guest appearances here and there), but this is still a terrible movie. It's just not as terrible as 2 and 4, in that I didn't come out of the theater feeling like I needed a shower to get it off me. I just wanted the 2 1/2 hours of my life back. So, yeah, for this series that's progress, I suppose.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love this.

https://twitter.com/machtackle/status/877691293488619520

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I picked up Topspin. Dang, he's big. He's over a head taller than Triggerhappy. He's huge! Also...he may have a better transformation than Triggerhappy. Sorry TH, my man.

Oh and he has the best guns out of all the Titan Returns figures because it has a handle just for combined mode.

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 22, 2017

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

You know what bothered me the most, even more than the "plot" holes?
The aspect ratio changing every 10 seconds
You have shot-countershot scenes with 2 sides of a conversation done in completely different aspect ratio

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Keldroc posted:

New movie thoughts

Well said. My brain however is still melting.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
You guys know these movies are terrible but keep seeing them...

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
As superior as we may want to feel, we're still idiot fuckos for paying to see that trash.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

SpikeMcclane posted:

As superior as we may want to feel, we're still idiot fuckos for paying to see that trash.

What's this "we" stuff, kemosabe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Why cookie Rocket posted:

What's this "we" stuff, kemosabe?

psh yeah...I got PAID to see it