Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Americans don't like being reminded about Vietnam because America lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Has anyone noted that John McCain's vote on AHCA is going to kill more Americans than the VietCong ever did?*

Why aren't the Democrats pushing this in his face every minute?

* American casualties in Vietnam war: 58,200
* AHCA deaths per year estimated at ~24,000
* Therefore every ~2.4 years the AHCA yields one Vietnam War worth of dead Americans.

(AHCA cuts will probably be implemented over time which screws with the projection at first, but whatever. In the long run, the AHCA is gonna kill more Americans than Vietnam.)

Brony Car posted:

Americans don't like being reminded about Vietnam because America lost.

I've done this before, but since Americans don't like the war in Vietnam, how about an all-American comparison?

Ted Bundy killed an estimated 27 people in his murderous career. Assuming all 293 Republicans in congress voted for the bill and the bill has an equivalent estimated body count of the House approved AHCA, they are looking at a body count of slightly less than 82 people per year. That would make each Republican congressperson about equal to 3 Ted Bundy's per year.

Comparing the total body count of this bill to Vietnam is statistics; it's important, but, ultimately, people will gloss right over it. Comparing each individual congressperson likely to vote for it to one of the nation's most infamous serial killers makes the numbers more visceral and real.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There is no cute trick to convincing people who are okay with tens of thousands of people dying a year of preventable illnesses and injuries that actually it's a bad thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Kodiak posted:

There is no cute trick to convincing people who are okay with tens of thousands of people dying a year of preventable illnesses and injuries that actually it's a bad thing.

But vaccines cause autism!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Have you tried John Oliver videos?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PerniciousKnid posted:

Have you tried John Oliver videos?

Republicans from the Deep South love condescending speeches from a liberal with a foreign accent.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Brony Car posted:

Republicans from the Deep South love condescending speeches from a liberal with a foreign accent.

Yeah. A smarmy limey with a smug comedy style. That'll convert them to reason.

I do enjoy watching John Oliver, but he's preaching to the converted, definitely.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Oh, they'll also read anyone that doesn't tell them what they want to hear as a condescending effete leftist.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I've had some luck grumbling about "Congress" cutting rural healthcare to make the coastal elites richer. It doesn't throw up any direct flags, appeals to the prevailing Red State cultural narrative and is functionally accurate. If they repeat that talking point to someone more ideologically aware they could find themselves being attacked as a liberal, which can really shake someone's political identity. They don't abandon the Republican Party overnight, as their hatred of Democrats is engrained, but it does give them a window to bail. It's how I ultimately swung left in the end back when the ACA was being debated.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brony Car posted:

I think you'll find there aren't any conservatives left, I have it on good authority John Oliver destroyed them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Why bother trying to blunt the spite some people have against the poor and sick, when you can instead just fan the spite even more people have against the rich and disgusting?

e: vimeo embeds don't work I guess. HealthyCA made a video about SB562.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I haven't had time to read the leak yet, what are the deets?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

I haven't had time to read the leak yet, what are the deets?

Keeps most of the private insurance reforms around while watering down the financial assistance (subsidies now based on the bronze tier level plan and not silver, reduced premium subsidies to people making < 350% of FPL rather than 400%). Also gutting medicaid over 7 years

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

Keeps most of the private insurance reforms around while watering down the financial assistance (subsidies now based on the bronze tier level plan and not silver, reduced premium subsidies to people making < 350% of FPL rather than 400%). Also gutting medicaid over 7 years

How does this get anyone's vote?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

Defunding Planned Parenthood is still in there

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Presumably the savings from reduced subsidies and gutting Medicaid are directed into tax cuts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

hobbesmaster posted:

gently caress you, liberal pussy!

(That's literally the answer)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are going to limit floor debate and amendments with that tactic, not keep the text of the bill secret.
Aren't they still subject to a Byrd bath that could be theoretically be drawn out for a while even if Mike Pence ends up overruling?

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
If those changes are legit then the market will be nothing more than a 10% MAGI buy-in for preventative care & an out-of-pocket maximum. Cough up 10% of your yearly earnings and your expenses (outside of your monthly premium) will be capped at whatever the OOP may be at that time (right now for a bronze plan it hovers around $7k/person/year). That falls right in line with defunding Cost-Share Reductions. No outpatient co-pay only services. If people think coverage & co-pays are poo poo now, I imagine they'll be pretty pissed about that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

gently caress you, liberal pussy!

(That's literally the answer)

Its not enough for those people. And the so called moderates are in a lose/lose situation with this bill.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Highbrow Slick posted:

If those changes are legit then the market will be nothing more than a 10% MAGI buy-in for preventative care & an out-of-pocket maximum. Cough up 10% of your yearly earnings and your expenses (outside of your monthly premium) will be capped at whatever the OOP may be at that time (right now for a bronze plan it hovers around $7k/person/year). That falls right in line with defunding Cost-Share Reductions. No outpatient co-pay only services. If people think coverage & co-pays are poo poo now, I imagine they'll be pretty pissed about that.

Plus, it would cost the government even more because premiums will skyrocket without a mandate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Its not enough for those people. And the so called moderates are in a lose/lose situation with this bill.

"Ron Johnson is going to save Obamacare, thank Ron Johnson for Obamacare"

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Elotana posted:

Aren't they still subject to a Byrd bath that could be theoretically be drawn out for a while even if Mike Pence ends up overruling?

Pence can override the parliamentarian but the Byrd Rule is actual law, different from e.g. the Hastert Rule which is just a matter of decorum. So it would be a huge mess. Preventing funding for abortions is very likely outside the scope of what's allowable in a reconciliation bill. The EHB changes as well, but it seems like they've walked those back.

Peven Stan posted:

If this is true (I didn't know there was a leak) then it's a big departure from the House scheme. So the Senate bill is basically ACA 2.0, now with less federal spending! Which seems like something Paul and Cruz would never vote for.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Defunding PP has already been ruled to pass the Byrd rule iirc but the real fight is going to be that I think the parliamentarian ruled that a rule banning the subsidy from being spent on plans that cover abortion doesn't pass muster.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The heath care bill has been released: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/senate-unveils-obamacare-repeal-bill

In a word, it's atrocious: it makes severe cuts to the subsidies though it hides the ball on those (it does, however, close the hole caused by states that refused to expand medicaid), it lengthens the medicaid expansion at the cost of more severe cuts down the road, and it appears to have the language barring using subsidies on abortion coverage plans (it's not clear that will survive a Byrd challenge).

There's some indication the votes aren't there yet:

https://twitter.com/chucktodd/status/877913883926609920

Note that in the House, there were a few moderates who said they were "no", got a token concession, and switched to yes in what looked very much like a pre-planned PR stunt. Any moderate "no" voters should be taken with a similar grain of salt: it is reasonably likely that they will insist on a vote for some amount of opioid funding (much less than what they're cutting) and get it, as a way to make themselves look like they made it "better". Basically:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/877917057689542656

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
It really is named the "Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017"

How is gutting medicare/aid Better?
How is kicking off 20 million people off healthcare Better?
How is letting states determine if pre-existing conditions should even be covered Better?
How are higher costs in deductibles Better?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MrBigglesworth posted:

It really is named the "Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017"

How is gutting medicare/aid Better?
How is kicking off 20 million people off healthcare Better?
How is letting states determine if pre-existing conditions should even be covered Better?
How are higher costs in deductibles Better?

It's just mind games, like calling the least patriotic bill ever the "Patriot act". "They voted against patriots better health care!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This sounds correct:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/877918849886068736
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/877919163192410112

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

It's just mind games, like calling the least patriotic bill ever the "Patriot act". "They voted against patriots better health care!"

Just like "make America great again" too. Make the name sound good and you've got a perfect soundbyte. Also why they always talk about repealing Obamacare, not the Affordable Care Act.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Patriot Act.

Also if the objections are posturing they're going to get it moved towards less coverage/ even less subsidies than now.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/877921924977803264

I don't expect the approval of the Senate bill to be any higher.

Voting for a bill this unpopular would be instant political suicide if the GOP still believed the opinion of the electorate mattered.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress it. Split the states.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/877921924977803264

I don't expect the approval of the Senate bill to be any higher.

Voting for a bill this unpopular would be instant political suicide if the GOP still believed the opinion of the electorate mattered.

Nothing matters unfortunately so they'll do it and probably somehow be rewarded for it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ranttnews/status/877916088662503424

https://twitter.com/athertonkd/status/877929543801032708

Great optics guys, really hope those tax cuts your donors are just going to sit on in untaxed bank accounts are worth it.

Who am I kidding, they don't give a gently caress about optics anymore.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Great optics guys, really hope those tax cuts your donors are just going to sit on in untaxed bank accounts are worth it.

Who am I kidding, they don't give a gently caress about optics anymore.

They do care about optics, and their supporters look at this and think "gently caress yeah, show those people who's in charge"

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
If the healthcare legislation is so absurdly unpopular, why does it seem like nobody is really opposing this legislation? I know that without a majority in either the house or Senate the Democrats can't stop it themselves. But they should absolutely be doing everything they can to weaponize the public perception against it. There should people marching in the streets, politicians slinging vitriolic slogans on 24 hour news, and spit flying out of John Q Public's mouth. Instead, there's just quiet desperation.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

BlueberryCanary posted:

If the healthcare legislation is so absurdly unpopular, why does it seem like nobody is really opposing this legislation? I know that without a majority in either the house or Senate the Democrats can't stop it themselves. But they should absolutely be doing everything they can to weaponize the public perception against it. There should people marching in the streets, politicians slinging vitriolic slogans on 24 hour news, and spit flying out of John Q Public's mouth. Instead, there's just quiet desperation.

Because the Democrats don't own the news media as a propaganda arm like the GOP and Fox News.

That opposition to healthcare legislation was 100% fox news.

Also the Dems have been mounting opposition - what do you think all those town halls were about?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BlueberryCanary posted:

They're making day-to-day senatorial processes as miserable as they can and speaking out on their own outreach feeds and whenever they can get on the news. Problem is the Russia stuff (which is vitally important and shouldn't be entirely ignored in favor of health care) plus the GOP's secrecy up until today have combined to make it difficult for the media to dedicate much airtime to any of this.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Yeah, the bill has only been officially released for a few hours now. It was kept secret for so long purely to suppress coverage and pushback from the opposition. We all had a good idea of what would be in the bill but nothing solid to attack until right now. Expect coverage and public outrage to ramp up considerably from here on out, but the amount of time for that to derail things has been compressed purposefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/mepfuller/status/877940140462792705

They don't even need the weak libertarian fig leaf anymore.

It's just a straight giveaway, redistributing wealth directly upward.