Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My track bike was a huge basket case when I got it. I bought it sight-unseen from a friend who had bought it from someone else with the intention of running it himself, but never got around to it. Just managed to find someone making the trek from his town to a track day I was interested in. So I showed up that morning at the event with a set of tires and fully expected to run it that day.

No.

* The clip-ons were installed below the top brace on the triple tree. I know this is how some bikes are designed, but not the F4i. It had about 5 degrees of steering angle due to clearance issues with the intakes. I did a 12-point turn to get it off the trailer and into my spot in the paddock.
* The handlebars were also installed backwards in the clip on brackets. There's an offset index hole in the bars for keeping the switchgear / throttle in place. Well, PO apparently didn't like the extra bar left over for installing brake / clutch guards and so installed the bars the other way around. Which meant that the grips were now hanging about a half inch *off* of the bars. Making for really awkward geometry.
* Throttle cables were routed on top of the banjo bolt on the master cylinder. The metal sleeving had been worn through on both the push and pull cables and started rusting.
* Brake lines up front were crushed because they were routed incorrectly.
* Other routing issues with cables up front.
* BIke had been resprung, but PO didn't cut the spacers to the correct length so the preload adjustment was maxed out all the time.
* Chain was absolutely wrecked. Split o-rings on nearly every link.

But, I've done a bunch of work to it now and it's honestly a pretty great starter track bike. Bonus is that it looks like a pile of poo poo so there's no shame in dropping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I typed up a list of the bikes I've had and what POs or I have done to them, and it looked like an ADVRider post. Ouch.

Worst I've had to deal with was cleaning the carbs and cleaning/sealing the tank of my GS500, which had been sitting with untreated gas in it for 5+ years. I never did get those carbs jetted right, there was a fat spot between 3 and 5K I couldn't get rid of. I hate carbs.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I made a loop out of two roads for a short blast after work. I passed the same guy twice, since he was doing the same loop in the opposite direction. This made me way more excited than it should have.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My drz had a rod sticking outta the case, and the harness cut in two places. It's doing pretty alright these days.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My SV had a hole in the undertail from the PO overloading the suspension and riding around with the tire burning a hole in it. :haw:

As for my current bike- the PO was a real shithead with headlight & indicator wiring (among other things). Who needs solder and shrink tubing when you can just twist wires and use electrical tape? Let's desnorkel the airbox and gut the exhaust; it's cheaper than an undertail slipon anyway. Bearings? Just wait to replace them after 35,000 miles. No biggie. I could go on!
I'm the only owner of this biek.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

My SV had a hole in the undertail from the PO overloading the suspension and riding around with the tire burning a hole in it. :haw:

Ooh that's right, my Hawk came with the license plate all bent up because the PO mounted it too low and it would drag on the rear wheel when the rear suspension compressed :thumbsup:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I had to change the angle of my license plate after crushing it. (I lived up a hill and often hit it at speed).
Also the fender eliminator kit sort of fell of once. It was cool, though; I later found it on the side of the road. Loctite is your friend.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I had to change the angle of my license plate after crushing it. (I lived up a hill and often hit it at speed).
Also the fender eliminator kit sort of fell of once. It was cool, though; I later found it on the side of the road. Loctite is your friend.

Finding a part that has fallen off en route is like winning the motorcycle lottery.

Also: Tiny part falls off of bike during maintenance and rolls into grass in fading light.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah RIP my cowl

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
body parts, like toast, always land paint (butter) side down

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

builds character posted:

So... I don't really object to any of these things, but if I had to choose a hill to die on it certainly wouldn't be that dude.

I do think acceleration is a perfectly valid tool to use in defensive driving. I use acceleration all the time because I like riding on the highway in those small spaces of the road where the cars aren't (just like Proficient Motorcycling recommends :hellyeah:). So when I see one I zip ahead and hang out there. Works really well for me. I don't need a 'busa to do that, but having more acceleration certainly makes it faster and easier. I also think it's a commonly used justification for getting a bike with more acceleration (because acceleration is fun) and that as a general rule a smaller displacement bike is going to be both safer for a new rider and result in them learning more, faster. I don't think any of that is inconsistent with the idea that there is a very small realm of situations in which acceleration is quite useful as a defensive drivingt ool. Anyway, I think you're missing the real point of all this which is as follows.
In reality, *being nervous* is far more dangerous than being relaxed. You can argue my being nervous on the freeway on the 300 is irrational; but my brain doesn't give a poo poo what you think and its going to be nervous anyway. The 650 is confidence inspiring, while the 300 was not.

It didn't come across right, but that was all I meant about safety.

And yeah, getting what I wanted in the first place is 99% of why I moved up.
Im pretty sure I haven't hit 3/4 throttle yet

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 22, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ilkhan posted:

In reality, *being nervous* is far more dangerous than being relaxed. You can argue my being nervous on the freeway on the 300 is irrational; but my brain doesn't give a poo poo what you think and its going to be nervous anyway. The 650 is confidence inspiring, while the 300 was not.

It didn't come across right, but that was all I meant about safety.

And yeah, getting what I wanted in the first place is 99% of why I moved up.

Have you gotten a desert race bike yet?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really confident I can split between two semis on the highway at 120MPH around a curve.

That's what makes it a good idea.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Everyone keeps telling me not to throw my hands out when I wreck but my brain says I should so oh well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm really confident I can split between two semis on the highway at 120MPH around a curve.

That's what makes it a good idea.
Also I'm not an idiot. JFC people.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You don't get too decide if you're an idiot, we do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dutymode posted:

Everyone keeps telling me not to throw my hands out when I wreck but my brain says I should so oh well.

TBF that one's automatic and I would be shocked if anyone other than a professional racer has the presence of mind to pull their hands in before they hit the ground 0.8 seconds later

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Look, I'm just trying to make fun of this guy for his slightly less than ideal decisions, don't nitpick me!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

TBF that one's automatic and I would be shocked if anyone other than a professional racer has the presence of mind to pull their hands in before they hit the ground 0.8 seconds later

True. I hope I never have to put it to the test but I'll be damned if I don't at least try to tuck and roll or catch it on the shoulder and bust a collarbone instead of my hands (best gauntlet gloves I can afford notwithstanding).

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I shattered my radius bone into many pieces in a non foosh type incident (bottomed out a timbersled on a very steep approach...) and my brain still can't make me tuck my arms in when crashing my dirt bike.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carth Dookie posted:

True. I hope I never have to put it to the test but I'll be damned if I don't at least try to tuck and roll or catch it on the shoulder and bust a collarbone instead of my hands (best gauntlet gloves I can afford notwithstanding).

Take it from me. You don't get reaction time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I've never crashed a moto but I crash bicycles pretty frequently and always gently caress up my hands

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Broke my scapula and fractured my radial head when I threw my hand out during my first crash. I was absolutely shocked I didn't break my hand. Cheapo $35 gloves ripped in half though. My second crash I was so tired and out of it I pretty much just held onto the bike as it went down and I didn't break anything thankfully. Wicked huge bruise on my hip though. I'll never forget the image when I opened my eyes while sliding to see my bike sliding away in a flurry of sparks as I separated from it and slid on my back off the pavement and into the rocks. It was fuckin cool :black101:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I've never crashed a moto but I crash bicycles pretty frequently and always gently caress up my hands

I haven't had a decent moto crash in years, even my frequent dirt crashes have been pretty benign. I did, however, throw the chain on a BMX bike, severely gently caress up my wrist, and set off 10 years of median nerve damage.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dutymode posted:

Look, I'm just trying to make fun of this guy for his slightly less than ideal decisions, don't nitpick me!

At this point it's pretty obvious goons are just wanting to bust the new guy's chops some. Least you're being honest about it.

Slavvy posted:

You don't get too decide if you're an idiot, we do.

See.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coredump posted:

At this point it's pretty obvious goons are just wanting to bust the new guy's chops some. Least you're being honest about it.

See.

Please stop.

ilkhan posted:

You say that but have you even given serious consideration to desert racing yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6tLFLhEp10

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

builds character posted:

Please stop.

You say that but have you even given serious consideration to desert racing yet?

Holy poo poo that guybwas going fast

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's not how fast he was going that frightens me, it's how slow all those trees he cut between were going.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Yeah, that's Dakar-winner Toby Price. He's so fast. Also, really good story. https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1PWVETRT91W11/paying-the-price?playlist=AP-1PWVETRT91W11

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character posted:

Please stop.

4:20 whack trees e'ry day

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If I tried to do that I would have planted myself in a tree after about 30 seconds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

Take it from me. You don't get reaction time.

I can only assume it's some kind of muscle memory from the (relatively short) time I did judo or possibly the amount of time I spent playing football on concrete, but in all of my two-wheeled crashes (powered and unpowered) and even the various times I've fallen over without mechanical help I've managed to avoid loving up my hands. Shoulder, yes, knees every single loving time, but never my hands.

Either that or my reflexes are just so slow that I never even get my hand out in time, that's a distinct possibility.

e: now I think of it the worst non-head injury I got as a kid was a pushbike crash when i was 8 where I managed to remove all of the skin on my shins, forearms, and forehead, and the only injuries to my hands were on the back of them because presumably I manged to get into a foetal position in the fraction of a second between the front end washing out and me hitting the deck at about ten million miles an hour. Incidentally this is the main reason I'm ATG(almost)ATT and certainly never have bare skin on a bike, that was at the beginning of summer and I basically lost the entire school holidays.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 24, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I land like flying superman and beat my face in when my helmet caves. :v:

ilkhan posted:

You're a nice guy in person and all, but you did post you running off a track here not too long ago on a 300 ninja.

Idiot? probably not. Inexperienced? oh gently caress yes. My spouse learned on a 650 ptwin too, but he didnt have the fourhunnert horsepower e-peen thing going. Enjoy the 650, but do be aware of what you say and most of all, be cautious.

He fractured a scaphoid riding like dildo-jenkins on a dr790 in february.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 24, 2017

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Jesus, Toby Price is a fuckin' beast. How on earth can you keep a 450/650 brap pinned and not eat a freaking tree is beyond me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

You're a nice guy in person and all, but you did post you running off a track here not too long ago on a 300 ninja.

Idiot? probably not. Inexperienced? oh gently caress yes. My spouse learned on a 650 ptwin too, but he didnt have the fourhunnert horsepower e-peen thing going. Enjoy the 650, but do be aware of what you say and most of all, be cautious.

He fractured a scaphoid riding like dildo-jenkins on a dr790 in february.
Oh certainly I'm inexperienced; and I'll certainly gently caress up many times and maybe crash and maybe kill/maime myself, I realize that. But it won't be from doing something idiotic like trying to split two semis through a turn. Give me a *little* credit.

(And even in that video I kept the bike upright and didn't make things worse)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
link 2 vid

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

nsaP posted:

link 2 vid

Just hit the upside down question mark, my dude

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can only assume it's some kind of muscle memory from the (relatively short) time I did judo or possibly the amount of time I spent playing football on concrete, but in all of my two-wheeled crashes (powered and unpowered) and even the various times I've fallen over without mechanical help I've managed to avoid loving up my hands. Shoulder, yes, knees every single loving time, but never my hands.

Fall training is definitely a thing that gives results. When I had done aikido for about a year, when I slipped on the ice in winter or whatever I could basically pick how I fell. Perhaps I should pick it up again now that I'm getting my motorcycle license.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 25, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Time better spent getting extra training/doing an advanced course. Learn how not to fall first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pun pundit posted:

Fall training is definitely a thing that gives results. When I had done aikido for about a year, when I slipped on the ice in winter or whatever I could basically pick how I fell. Perhaps I should pick it up again now that I'm getting my motorcycle license.

How many accounts does ilkhan have?