Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

There's talk of interspecies babies being all but impossible on Enterprise, so they're are advancements maybe by the time Spock is born? Should he already be born?

Spock was born a century later. In Enterprise they try to medically assist and engineer a hybrid pregnancy and nearly get there and are all 'it should be possible now if anyone wants it'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Peak Performance

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cool a new bridge set

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My TV senses are telling me the smug strategy alien is some kind of fraud.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The strategy alien's talking about how he doesn't like Riker because he's such a jokester and a loose cannon but that characterization's pretty weak.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi: "While it can be ego-bruising--"
Data: "But counselor, I do not have an ego."
Troi: "Yes. Well, um, a loss can be disheartening."
Data: "But counselor, I do not have a--"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Awww Data...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Cool a new bridge set

It's just the battle bridge which was the TOS Enterprise bridge from the first 3 movies

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I was expecting the Ferengi attack to still be part of the simulation and the strategy alien would reveal he paid them off.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Most of [The Emissary] was dull and predictable except the part where Worf wanted to get married, and the part where he commanded the enterprise to fool the Japanese Holdout Klingon soldiers without ever technically lying to them, which ruled.

How dare you sir that episode is one of the best :colbert: Final act aside (and it did indeed rule), I liked the fact that she had to be packed into a coffin-sized probe because it's the only thing in the entire federation fast enough to get there before poo poo kicks off. it's a well developed story and I'll brook no further argument

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/EW/status/877594385151438848

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Uniforms are bad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dead captain walking

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dude looks like he'd rather be anywhere else.

I'm still pretty sure this is how the pilot's going to go, and the trailer only further reinforces it:

- Burnham is first officer on the Shenzhou under Michelle Yeoh's captain
- Yeoh tells her she's ready to spread her wings, and has her reassigned to Discovery, the newest ship in the fleet, under Captain Lorca
- Lorca bites it in the pilot episode and Burnham is thrust into the captain's chair
- Throughout the season the Shenzhou checks in on / babysits Discovery (since Yeoh's role is said to be recurring, not starring)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The asymmetrical collar bothers me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I hope there is a coat ringed with pockets big enough for shuttlepods.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Good: Piping, color choice, sleekness
Bad: Wrinkliness, scuffed texture around the elbow
Neutral: Shoulderpads, asymmetrical collar

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That guy's face definitely doesn't have a human expression though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The closest human expression to that is "I found out the woman I've been peeping on is my mom"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That guy's face definitely doesn't have a human expression though.

I seem to think he's played a murderer, a rapist, or a murder rapist in every single thing I've ever seen him in.

Orv
May 4, 2011
He has 112 credits on IMDB and to my personal knowledge he has played a good guy in five of around eighty of those.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Doctor posted:

The piping down the not-quite-the-middle of the chest is what bugs me. It's not far enough to the side that it's clearly supposed to be asymmetrical (like the closure of the maroon jackets from the movies). It's just exactly far enough from the center to look like the person has it on crooked.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

The piping down the not-quite-the-middle of the chest is what bugs me. It's not far enough to the side that it's clearly supposed to be asymmetrical (like the closure of the maroon jackets from the movies). It's just exactly far enough from the center to look like the person has it on crooked.

I don't think that's piping, I think that's literally a zipper.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I see that classic EW photoshoots aren't doing the uniform any favors.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I really hope Jason Isaac's sticks around the whole time doing captain stuff just because the "another white hetero cismale captain!" Reddit screeds would be hilarious after all this build up.

I also think that a show where the main character is the second-in-command just sounds a lot more interesting than "she was number one, but then the captain died so she's basically captain now." I've talked before about how I hate the cult of "the captain" in Trek and I don't think making the main character "acting captain" is any sort of way to get around that. They pulled that poo poo in JJ Trek and it was my least favorite part of the whole movie.

Plus making the main character a new commander who gets dumped into the leadership role in a tense conflict area is basically what DS9 tried doing and they just gave up and made him the captain after two seasons anyway. If our main character is CO or acting CO for any length of time, it's pretty much garaunteed that we'll get a few episodes of her "learning on the job" and after that she'll be indistinguishable from "the captain" and the whole thing will just feel like a bait-and-switch. I guess it could work, but it still sounds pretty tedious.

If Isaacs has to die, I'd much rather it be at the end of the season than the beginning, because a show where the XO is the main character instead of the captain sounds way more interesting than what we're likely to get.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Man, Sisko earned that goddamn promotion to Captain rank. He was the command figure anyway, DS9 was just supposed to be some shithole posting for him to wrap up his career at, and then a trailhead for exploring through the wormhole, and THEN--

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Duckbag posted:

I really hope Jason Isaac's sticks around the whole time doing captain stuff just because the "another white hetero cismale captain!" Reddit screeds would be hilarious after all this build up.

I also think that a show where the main character is the second-in-command just sounds a lot more interesting than "she was number one, but then the captain died so she's basically captain now." I've talked before about how I hate the cult of "the captain" in Trek and I don't think making the main character "acting captain" is any sort of way to get around that. They pulled that poo poo in JJ Trek and it was my least favorite part of the whole movie.

Plus making the main character a new commander who gets dumped into the leadership role in a tense conflict area is basically what DS9 tried doing and they just gave up and made him the captain after two seasons anyway. If our main character is CO or acting CO for any length of time, it's pretty much garaunteed that we'll get a few episodes of her "learning on the job" and after that she'll be indistinguishable from "the captain" and the whole thing will just feel like a bait-and-switch. I guess it could work, but it still sounds pretty tedious.

If Isaacs has to die, I'd much rather it be at the end of the season than the beginning, because a show where the XO is the main character instead of the captain sounds way more interesting than what we're likely to get.

FWIW, Bryan Fuller did say way back when that his intention was for it to be the first Trek series that wasn't from the POV of a captain... whether that holds true, we'll see, I guess.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Duckbag posted:

You and I have very different perspectives on Reddit.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Well, the other half if Reddit is going to be furious if there isn't a white guy in charge. Gonna be a poo poo show either way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The best solution would be to casually include that Captain Isaacs is trans two years in and watch the other half's rage melt the internet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Dude looks like he'd rather be anywhere else.

When we met him at C2E2 and I asked him what he was currently doing he said "Staaar Trrrekk" with as much disdain as possible.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

When we met him at C2E2 and I asked him what he was currently doing he said "Staaar Trrrekk" with as much disdain as possible.

For a second, I thought you meant the guy who did the TNG previews and got really excited.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Timby posted:

Keep in mind, as well, that Sulu and company are only on the Enterprise in Wrath of Khan for training purposes (and in cut footage, Kirk says that Sulu's due to take command of the Excelsior in three weeks), and obviously in III and IV they're on the lam so no one's getting any new assignments. It's The Final Frontier and arguably The Undiscovered Country where things get cocked up, as everyone's right back where they started even though there should have been some progression -- Chekov was a first officer in Khan and now he's back to being the navigator / security chief, Sulu's back at the helm until taking over Excelsior between movies, Uhura's still all "hailing frequencies open, Captain," etc. I mean, poo poo, in the last two movies the Enterprise has three captains on it (and then Scotty is mysteriously back to being a commander in Generations).

I just assumed that after IV the Enterprise crew got the same treatment Kirk did.

"Welp we can't punish them for their many many crimes after they saved Earth because the public will crucify us, so we'll just reassign them all to the Enterprise and make it sound like a reward, that way they're at least all contained on one ship in dead-end careers and aren't a danger to the rest of the fleet."
*reasoning immediately validated as the entire Enterprise crew decides at the drop of a hat to follow a crazy Vulcan prophet on his quixotic quest to find God in the center of the galaxy*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have a theory for why it took so long for Sulu to receive a promotion. In Search For Spock, after they steal the Enterprise, Kirk tells them "I intend to recommend you all for promotion, in whatever fleet we end up serving".

My theory is that he followed through with that sometime after they finally made it back home. But because the promotion was tied up in illegal activities (stealing the Enterprise and blowing it up), the promotion was put on hold until Starfleet Command greenlit it and allowed Sulu to become a captain.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I can't tell if Worf was being sarcastic there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSMshdQ0Pk

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I might watch the finale of Season 2, Shades of Gray tonight.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You know it's a clip show right

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The surprise: you've already watched it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well I'm watching it. I assumed the jungle at the start was the holodeck so I was confused for a second as to why Geordi was so worried about Riker's injury, or how he could have been injured.