Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

TontoCorazon posted:

The voice actor for BJ did such an amazing job.
BJ as a character was physically a bad rear end but his monologue in the end elevated his performance to a new level for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEza0A15mls&t=50s

Never thought I'd hear this sort of thing for a Wolfenstein game. But damned if it isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Brian Bloom really knocked it out of the park as BJ. I thought I'd be unable to seperate him from that dwarf in Dragon Age, but now he's always going to be Blazko. :allears:

That game's story was far, far better than it had any right to be.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm glad they replaced Death's Head with the one lady officer from the first game. I thought she was gonna be a dangling plot hole but she's taken over command and there's already history between her and BJ.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The music in ARMs is way good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

poptart_fairy posted:

Brian Bloom really knocked it out of the park as BJ. I thought I'd be unable to seperate him from that dwarf in Dragon Age, but now he's always going to be Blazko. :allears:

That game's story was far, far better than it had any right to be.

The animation team did a great job with all the little expressions between him and Anya. You really felt like they loved each other and that they were equals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

The animation team did a great job with all the little expressions between him and Anya. You really felt like they loved each other and that they were equals.

Personally I loved the little reveal that it wasn't her Aunt murdering all those Nazis, it was Anya herself :allears:.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inzombiac posted:

This was also a great writing moment: Halfway through breaking into the prison to rescue her, you run into her, fairly well armed, coming up an elevator with a group of other prisoners halfway through breaking out. It's really awesome that she isn't just some helpless damsel in distress, they're a great match.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dewgy posted:

This was also a great writing moment: Halfway through breaking into the prison to rescue her, you run into her, fairly well armed, coming up an elevator with a group of other prisoners halfway through breaking out. It's really awesome that she isn't just some helpless damsel in distress, they're a great match.

Hell, in the trailer for the new game, she's heavily pregnant and just sneaks up on a nazi and starts knifing him in the dick. I like Anya.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dewgy posted:

Oh hell yeah. I was kinda rolling my eyes at the mission but as soon as I turned the corner I made an audible, "Yeah!"

As a rule, I don't preorder games (unless it's a game I love for a different system like Rocket League) but I'm going to get The New Colossus right away.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the replay of the opening of Horizon: Zero Dawn, I definitely feel better about my skill. I have only just killed the initial Sawtooth, and did it taking barely any damage as I knew what I was doing with the tripcaster this time. Also I'm making it a rule that if I see an animal that may drop something I need I'll try to chase it down because upgrading the inventory, at least resources and tripcaster ammo capacity, is already paying off. I finally got around to properly exploring the tutorial ruins after growing up, figured out smashing the stalactites and also got enough stuff exploring and getting supply crates to upgrade my potion capacity, as well as plenty of ammo-making stuff like Blaze and Spark containers. The best part was I picked up a box of stuff, couldn't carry the potions, but noticed that I had just got a bunch of Metal Vessels from that very crate - immediately upgraded potion capacity and got a free health boost potion to boot! Also minor exp for killing wildlife for parts will probably start to build up.

Also got a power cell for the sidequest for super armor.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think I rented New Order and got right to the final boss before i had to return it. Need to go back and finish it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also minor exp for killing wildlife for parts will probably start to build up.

This is not true. +10 exp quickly becomes less than .1% of a level. Not to dissuade you from murdering animals, because you will need their bones and skins, but the exp earned is completely negligible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way I have a question about Horizon - are the Quest Datapoints special in some way or are they just the ones found in dungeons, like the World datapoints are in the overworld? Does it just tell you where they are found? Asking here because googling just comes up with location guides that I don't want to use - I want to find them on my own. I just want to check if quest datapoints point you to oiptional sidequests or are they just called that because they're in sidequest dungeons?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Replaying Sleeping Dogs. It's still funny to wear a police uniform for the scene where you're accused of being a police informant and talk Winston into believing it's (and shooting) another guy.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Sunswipe posted:

Replaying Sleeping Dogs. It's still funny to wear a police uniform for the scene where you're accused of being a police informant and talk Winston into believing it's (and shooting) another guy.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

"How do you do, fellow criminals?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

"If i was an undercover cop i wouldn't be wearing a uniform would I? Think, man."

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
The whole game is better in the vigilante outfit. Theres just something so smooth about Wei wearing leather gloves. Or the bright yellow jumpsuit, that one rocks too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Or just in your underwear.

I don't want a sequel to Sleeping Dogs but I want that team to do another game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They don't exist any more. They shut down last year.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I love the sim games: Afterlife; Tropico; and Banished.

What I figure are the similarities are focus on micromanagement and placement. All those games make you go building to building to tweak how they operate. Afterlife specifically puts a huge emphasis on never building more than you strictly need.

I would kill for a sim game in this spirit that's just sprawling with content. The downside to all of these is you run out of stuff to do and build pretty quickly. I dunno how that Cities: Skylines game or the most recent Sim City is, but I feel like that's probably not what I'm looking for.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You would probably really enjoy the hell out of Factorio, although it takes the opposite approach from Afterlife since mass-production is kind of the point of the game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RyokoTK posted:

You would probably really enjoy the hell out of Factorio, although it takes the opposite approach from Afterlife since mass-production is kind of the point of the game.

I'll have to check it out. The 'building no more than you need' idea, is really another way of saying 'maximizing efficiency'. Will take a look, thanks.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way I have a question about Horizon - are the Quest Datapoints special in some way or are they just the ones found in dungeons, like the World datapoints are in the overworld? Does it just tell you where they are found? Asking here because googling just comes up with location guides that I don't want to use - I want to find them on my own. I just want to check if quest datapoints point you to oiptional sidequests or are they just called that because they're in sidequest dungeons?

Can't miss them, they are the ones in main quests in the back half of the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The Saboteur

You know how any other third person shooter would have stealth sections that inevitably end up with you blowing your cover and shooting it out in the end, even if you were impeccable in your sneaking about? Yeah, Saboteur doesn't buck that trend.

But, I'm not annoyed when it happens in this game because:

- Rather than have a cutscene or an event trigger showing some random soldier outing your disguise and turning the Sneaking Mission into a firefight, you get a feel for when it's best to be discreet and when it's best to go loud. For example, there's a mission where you sneak into a cemetery and need to reach the mausoleum at the top of the hill and recover a chest down in the crypts. It's perfectly fine to start gunning everyone down as soon as you're in, but you can blitz past most of the optional fighting to get to the mausoleum if you can score a disguise and pay attention to the basic enemy patrols. Once you're in the crypt, you find out it's a cramped room full of Nazis. So by now you realize that there's no way for you to stealth kill all the troops when they're this bunched up together so the obvious solution to the problem is to chuck grenades and shotgun all the survivors. I've tackled most of my missions so far like this, and I'm liking it because it doesn't feel forced on me to be discreet - that's more my style - but I'm also not savescumming because I ruined my "perfect stealth run" because shooting it out is just as fun as being an invisible gremlin in the Nazi war machine.

- None of the mechanics in this game are novel, but they synergize well with each other so that combat isn't a slog. The inFamous platforming helps you navigate the city as defensive cover when the streets are full of Nazis and the AssCreed hiding spots help throw off heat so that you don't have to suffer through an alert if you can't shake the Nazis off. And if you manage to score a car that can outrun most of the Reich's vehicles, the GTA arrest radius helps show you where to avoid upcoming patrols and how much farther you need to drive to break the alert. Because The Saboteur cherry picks features from other games, it allows more freeform gameplay than any of those games from which it borrows.

The shotguns in this game feel good and have better range than most video game shotguns.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cleretic posted:

There's a loving NES Jason in that game!?

Damnit, horror fans are getting so much cool poo poo right now, and here I am unable to stomach a jumpscare.

Friday the 13th has no jumpscares, really. Though you can sometimes play against a real sneaky and cunning Jason who can get the drop on you, but you're kinda expecting it anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
FFXIV continues to have one of the best and most varied soundtracks in gaming, now with Indian flavor added to the mix and it's :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUp3DpksQY

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Well I got Crackdown and i'm really enjoying it, yeah it's dated and old and some of the controls are a bit stiff but shooting your way through a warlord's compound and then climbing your way to the top and kicking him to death is great.

ps. is there a new game plus on this game? just wondering.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Well I got Crackdown and i'm really enjoying it, yeah it's dated and old and some of the controls are a bit stiff but shooting your way through a warlord's compound and then climbing your way to the top and kicking him to death is great.

I don't recall there being one, unfortunately.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I have no idea if it still exists but when the game was still new the devs put out a piece of free DLC called Keys to the City which let you goof around in sandbox mode with the ability to spawn objects from a menu and control all your stats even beyond the levels you could unlock through gameplay.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

D'aww that sucks, I love being completely overpowered in games and stomping everything that gave me trouble the first time round.

I like the fact the story is barely even a thing, you have a small cutscene at the start of the game and then you're straight into shooting and jumping and exploring, the city's cool as well.
I'm liking the fact that you can go through so many buildings as well, most games would just have you jumping on or over but you're free to take cover inside loads of nooks and crannies.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kruller posted:

I don't recall there being one, unfortunately.

I think there's an option to respawn the gangs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mokinokaro posted:

I think there's an option to respawn the gangs.

That's also part of Keys to the City IIRC.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

D'aww that sucks, I love being completely overpowered in games and stomping everything that gave me trouble the first time round.

I like the fact the story is barely even a thing, you have a small cutscene at the start of the game and then you're straight into shooting and jumping and exploring, the city's cool as well.
I'm liking the fact that you can go through so many buildings as well, most games would just have you jumping on or over but you're free to take cover inside loads of nooks and crannies.

Don't neglect your driving stat. I know that eventually you'll be faster running and jumping around town, but the Agency cars get cool transformations with each level of Driving you have and it should not be ignored.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
There was a video that probably sold more unit of Crackdown than any official adverts. It was 2 lads playing co-op in the 1 hour demo with Hitman's "Ave Maria" playing over it and... The sheer JOY they were experiencing was intoxicating. They barely spoke a word, it was just them laughing as ave maria played while they were loving around, ramping cars off of trucks and kicking each other off buildings.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Yeah I was trying to do some races today but they're finicky cause of driving down tight alleyways with the loving stupid pedestrians.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Don't neglect your driving stat. I know that eventually you'll be faster running and jumping around town, but the Agency cars get cool transformations with each level of Driving you have and it should not be ignored.

You can upgrade your driving stat by plowing down gang members with your car. I didn't mind grinding that one out. :getin:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

LawfulWaffle posted:

The car transformations are awesome, as well. The supercar basically turns into a high speed wedge designed to shoot other cars into the stratosphere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And the SUV gains the ability to drive up walls, which IIRC was originally a physics bug that they decided to keep because it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
See also: enlisting a coop partner so you can back two ramp trucks into each other.