Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

at least that's what the pundits and bad dems keep telling me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Shear Modulus posted:

well the dems arent doing abortion rights a big favor by constantly adopting the right's framing that abortions are bad and should be "rare" and that women who get them should feel distraught

Abortions rights are just gonna have to take a back seat then because, "There should be more abortions!" is a losing campaign slogan. Birth Control should be preventing nearly all unwanted pregnancies before abortion is necessary as birth control. People can have strong opinions on where human life begins or whatever but generally earlier in development is better if you have to end whatever type of life you are dealing with. I think that's where the vast majority of people who don't have a dumb religious opposition to birth control land.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Abortions rights are just gonna have to take a back seat then because, "There should be more abortions!" is a losing campaign slogan. Birth Control should be preventing nearly all unwanted pregnancies before abortion is necessary as birth control. People can have strong opinions on where human life begins or whatever but generally earlier in development is better if you have to end whatever type of life you are dealing with. I think that's where the vast majority of people who don't have a dumb religious opposition to birth control land.

If you're not willing to make a positive case for abortion then you can't claim to be a feminist, because the fundamental underlying issue is reproductive rights and family planning. Not whether or not a fetus is actually a baby or should have human rights, which is a bullshit framing cooked up by reactionaries to justify continued social leverage over women.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the Bad Dems I see being shared on Facebook agree this was a great election and that Ossoff made a huge swing in a district that was unwinnable.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/875435697376768000

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol i forgot about this proposal

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/877767402418835456

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you're not willing to make a positive case for abortion then you can't claim to be a feminist, because the fundamental underlying issue is reproductive rights and family planning. Not whether or not a fetus is actually a baby or should have human rights, which is a bullshit framing cooked up by reactionaries to justify continued social leverage over women.

yeah this

hillary wins among loyal democrats but independents in open primaries hate her. lucky for hillary, the more electable candidate, the general election is also closed to non-democrats

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Her plan for America was pretty much "write more apps"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

its funny because silicon valley zillionaires still think this is the way forward

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9iM_zzzQk

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Shear Modulus posted:

its funny because silicon valley zillionaires still think this is the way forward

It is! Get ready to cuck for Zuck in 2020!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

She just really wanted Pokemon Go 2 Polls.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when you dont talk to anyone besides ceos of fortune 500 companies your brain turns to mush

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Shear Modulus posted:

when you dont talk to anyone besides ceos of fortune 500 companies your brain turns to mush

true, but your pockets become a mausoleum of dead presidents

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the quintessential clueless tech utopian guy is that one dude who proposed we subsidize laptops for the homeless so they could learn to code

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paranoid randroid posted:

the quintessential clueless tech utopian guy is that one dude who proposed we subsidize laptops for the homeless so they could learn to code

the tech sector is sick of paying H1B visas enough to live four to an apartment, they wanna get in on for profit prison labor prices

but for that to happen we need poors and blacks that know ruby and javascrpit

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's might be one reason so few people identify as feminist even though they say they believe in the equality of men and women.

e: You could probably find plenty of alcoholic coders who will work for a discount if you let them drink on the job. Similar to hiring the homeless.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Her plan for the rust belt was retraining 50 y/o ex-mill workers to write said apps, lmao.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

ZUCK FOR PREZ!!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

ZUCK FOR PREZ!!

That's the spirit! Go "Full Cuck" for Mark Zuck!

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

FuriousxGeorge posted:

That's might be one reason so few people identify as feminist even though they say they believe in the equality of men and women.

e: You could probably find plenty of alcoholic coders who will work for a discount if you let them drink on the job. Similar to hiring the homeless.

all o' this is 100% true
i cannot add or detract anything!

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

MaxxBot posted:

That's the spirit! Go "Full Cuck" for Mark Zuck!

if you actually thought i wasn't full cuck to begin with, just :lol:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

If you don't think women should be able to control their reproduction, then you don't actually believe in sexual equality.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

glad i could have the queen's speech mansplained to me by an absolute boy

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you don't think women should be able to control their reproduction, then you don't actually believe in sexual equality.

There is a difference between saying a woman shouldn't control their own reproduction and saying abortions should be rare. Like, I think euthanasia of pets should be rare too. Much more rare than it is, because the pet population is totally out of control and people are irresponsible owners. That doesn't mean it should be banned, because it's a necessary and humane procedure as well and individual animals don't have a right to life, they are property. Even groups like PETA perform euthanasia of animals regularly because it is a necessary procedure. I would just have to disagree if you try and tell me that you think it's bad to say, "There should be less euthanasia and we can get there by reducing the root causes that lead to it being necessary in the first place." It doesn't make any sense to say that unless you don't believe there is any value at all in the animal's life which makes you sound like a monster.

This hard line makes some sense from a purely political point of view though. The right is trying to strip abortion rights inch by inch. So never give up an inch.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This hard line makes some sense from a purely political point of view though. The right is trying to strip abortion rights inch by inch. So never give up an inch.

That's the point, my dude. The right has made abortion so rare that it's practically impossible to get access in over half the states.

The point of contention from the beginning was the notion that the Democratic party should be a big tent that also encompasses pro-lifers. But if you want to "work with" pro-lifers, that means you're also willing to compromise on abortion.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's the point, my dude. The right has made abortion so rare that it's practically impossible to get access in over half the states.

The point of contention from the beginning was the notion that the Democratic party should be a big tent that also encompasses pro-lifers. But if you want to "work with" pro-lifers, that means you're also willing to compromise on abortion.

if you want a 50 state campaign you have to deal with pro-lifers

the 10 million dollar question is whether or not they can be whipped

so i guess what we want is bitchmade pro-lifers in whatever districts require them

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

glad i could have the queen's speech mansplained to me by an absolute boy
boysplaining

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I just rewatched an Ossoff ad and it was nice to have this to get the taste out of my mouth.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

if you want a 50 state campaign you have to deal with pro-lifers

the 10 million dollar question is whether or not they can be whipped

so i guess what we want is bitchmade pro-lifers in whatever districts require them

Pro-life Democrats ran in Oklahoma all the time, and they all ate poo poo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah this

hillary wins among loyal democrats but independents in open primaries hate her. lucky for hillary, the more electable candidate, the general election is also closed to non-democrats

I've talked about this before but I canvassed for Hillary and independents hated her even more than you're imagining.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/scribejones/status/877579548895756288

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I've talked about this before but I canvassed for Hillary and independents hated her even more than you're imagining.

It's not like we've been hiding this fact.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Gamify 👏 Public 👏 Spending

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

is... this... satire ?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
*marching through the streets throwing molotovs* CONSOLIDATE FEDERAL DATA CENTERS

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

5.4 billion, boy that's a big number.

Now I have to go write this big check to Lockheed Martin cuz the planes they're making us won't deliver oxygen to a pilot's cells.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/rortybomb/status/877361633525248000

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

https://twitter.com/realmrkimbell/status/877362852746735616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Pro-life Democrats ran in Oklahoma all the time, and they all ate poo poo.

i am compelled to remind you that your point of view has zero federal power right now

single issue voters get something from democrats that they care about more than abortion, yippee

i aint holdin my breath

• Locked thread