Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

theKGEntleman posted:

Have my endorsement test Monday, so I'm trying to lock down a bike. Thoughts on the one below? I was happy seeing abs listed.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/6178248370.html
should probably be closer to ~2.4k with that mileage, don't let him make you pay for all useless mods he added to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

theKGEntleman posted:

Have my endorsement test Monday, so I'm trying to lock down a bike. Thoughts on the one below? I was happy seeing abs listed.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/6178248370.html

Holy poo poo, a ninja with more than 2,000 miles.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
To me it seems a bit pricey for a 300 with 27k miles, but IDK the San Diego market.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Why would you not buy this one instead?
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/6168049701.html

Been listed for a week so you know they're not super hot/in demand. 22k fewer miles, same price.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The headlights on the first one are triggering my fuckwit alarm really badly. Second one looks way nicer.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The headlights on the first one are triggering my fuckwit alarm really badly. Second one looks way nicer.

"These headlights suck, guess I'll buy an HID projector retrofit kit..."

eh, OK I guess, at least he didn't just swap some bulbs in there

"...with some sikkkk angel eyez"

yeah, he's a fuckwit

theKGEntleman
Sep 17, 2004
song2

builds character posted:

Why would you not buy this one instead?
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/6168049701.html

Been listed for a week so you know they're not super hot/in demand. 22k fewer miles, same price.

Didn't see that one, good catch. Reached out to him. Thanks, appreciate the help!

theKGEntleman
Sep 17, 2004
song2
Passed my M1 and on to purchasing my first bike! Thoughts on this 95' ninja for the first 6-12 months?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/6184053511.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

theKGEntleman posted:

Passed my M1 and on to purchasing my first bike! Thoughts on this 95' ninja for the first 6-12 months?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/6184053511.html

Those tyres look suspiciously old and poo poo so budget that in but otherwise looks ok.

Can you really pick up a tidy ex500 for $1500 over there? Seeing poo poo like that makes me want to kill myself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweet color. Front tire looks flat, and also old; check the date codes and if they're more than 5 years old (they are) then expect to replace them ($250-300 for both). See if you can talk the guy down an extra couple hundred because of that, but 1500 + the cost of tires is still a pretty good deal anyway. If the tire is flat, that means other maintenance is likely to be lacking as well; expect to change the oil, replace the chain, and maybe get new brake pads.

If you have a friend who rides who can tag along and verify what works needs to be done, and there's nothing else outstanding, get it. I'd buy it for $1200 if I was looking for a starter bike for a friend.

e: date codes:

Find that little block after the DOT code and read the numbers. This one was made in the 16th week of 2012 -- the middle of April. So you want to see that the last two digits are 13 or higher. If there are only 3 digits in that block, then the tire was made prior to the year 2000 and you should replace it regardless of what it says.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 20, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Looks like a solid bike. check the usual stuff for wear (chain, brakes, tires, battery), ask when the oil was last changed, what maintenance has been performed. Check the engine to make sure it's cold and then ask him to start it.

The only red flag on this ad for me is that is NOT a trickle charger that he is showing there, it's a regular battery charger. When you look at the battery make sure it's not swollen.

A Ninja 500 is more than enough bike to keep you entertained for a couple of years, don't buy it looking to upgrade in 6 months.

Slavvy posted:

Can you really pick up a tidy ex500 for $1500 over there? Seeing poo poo like that makes me want to kill myself.

Not usually no, they either want $2500 or the bike is thrashed

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I wish they still made bikes in 90's colors.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Find that little block after the DOT code and read the numbers. This one was made in the 16th week of 2012 -- the middle of April. So you want to see that the last two digits are 13 or higher. If there are only 3 digits in that block, then the tire was made prior to the year 2000 and you should replace it regardless of what it says.
I've seen tires made in 2013 (and not used in Arizona as far as I know) that were cracked badly enough to fail state inspection. Just as a reference point for how old is "old" in bike tires.

theKGEntleman
Sep 17, 2004
song2
Well, went and checked out the 95' ninja. The guy was even cool enough to meet at a local bike shop for a look over. Dude from the shop thought everything looked great for the age and said the bike had been well taken care of. He did mention that the tires, chain and sprockets should be replaced. So, I test rode it, paid the man $1200 and took my first ever bike home!
I'm beyond excited. Can't wait to get some hours and more practice out there.
I plan on dropping the bike off this Friday to get those areas taken care of.
Any other words of wisdom? Thanks everyone so far!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweet! $1200 is a very good deal and that is an appropriate starter bike. As others in the thread have noted, stick with it for a while -- it'll be a couple of years/tens of thousands of miles before you outgrow it.

You've already taken the MSF and have the right gear, I assume. Keep your eyes open, never outride your sight lines, don't get cocky, stop riding if something feels wrong and don't push yourself. Find lots of two-lane country roads and highways to practice on. I haven't been to SD in a number of years but I remember that the mountain roads up to Julian and Ramona were gorgeous and would be a blast to ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also don't think too hard.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

$1200 for a Ninja with a kickin rad paint job is great, I'm jealous. Not that you need to be going fast or on the freeway right away, but when you first get up to freeway speeds and it feels too fast, look farther ahead and it'll make everything feel slower (and give you more time to react).

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Every once in a while I see a cheap pregen Ninja 250 for sale and I'm tempted: that bike was so much fun. It'd be a great bike to have as a second mess-around bike and also for my son to learn.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I did my first day of twisties! Ran up and down the blue ridge parkway along with a few other roads here in the hills of NC :)

Absolutely fantastic, and my only problem is I cannot wait to do it again but it's rainy and gross and I have to work all week. I paid a grand total of $16 in gasoline the whole day and about $25 in food in exchange for more excitement than I've had in years.

Also my legs and butt hurt a ton after, the ex500's seat is not terribly accomodating for 8 hours of riding. Looking ever more vigorously into upgrading to something a bit more sport-touring oriented this winter when bikes get cheap. I've got searches bookmarked for VFRs, but would an FZ1 be too much after just a year of riding?

tjones
May 13, 2005

spouse posted:

I did my first day of twisties! Ran up and down the blue ridge parkway along with a few other roads here in the hills of NC :)

Absolutely fantastic, and my only problem is I cannot wait to do it again but it's rainy and gross and I have to work all week. I paid a grand total of $16 in gasoline the whole day and about $25 in food in exchange for more excitement than I've had in years.

Also my legs and butt hurt a ton after, the ex500's seat is not terribly accomodating for 8 hours of riding. Looking ever more vigorously into upgrading to something a bit more sport-touring oriented this winter when bikes get cheap. I've got searches bookmarked for VFRs, but would an FZ1 be too much after just a year of riding?

Possibly. I would not recommend it unless you did a metric poo poo ton of miles in that year. Also you are robbing yourself of progressively moving up and jumping way forward to the end of the line almost immediately in your riding career.

The seat on a FZ won't be any better, but you are supposed to weight your pegs and let the rear suspension float on those type bikes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Stock FZ1 seat will leave your rear end burning after an hour or so.

I jumped from a GS500 directly to an FJR after about a year of riding and ~8000 miles, then another FJR, then an FZ1. Don't do that. Stay on the smaller bike longer, especially if you like railing around on curvy roads. The old maxim about it being more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow is 100% true.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

tjones posted:

Possibly. I would not recommend it unless you did a metric poo poo ton of miles in that year. Also you are robbing yourself of progressively moving up and jumping way forward to the end of the line almost immediately in your riding career.

Good point. I guess it is a big jump going from ~50 to ~150hp, and I'd miss the things in between. I've been doing this two months at the end of this week, and I've put 3000 down already. I'm trying to hit 10k by the end of the year. That's a ton for me, I usually put about 10k on my car in a year, and I've still been driving on the rainy days for the most part.

Jazzzzz posted:

Stock FZ1 seat will leave your rear end burning after an hour or so.

I jumped from a GS500 directly to an FJR after about a year of riding and ~8000 miles, then another FJR, then an FZ1. Don't do that. Stay on the smaller bike longer, especially if you like railing around on curvy roads. The old maxim about it being more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow is 100% true.

Ok, noted :) I just kinda want something with a bit more oomph and a lot more comfy while retaining sportiness. I think the VFR is probably my guy. The FZ1 just looked like a very attractive package with good looking ergos on cycle-ergo and being a very good looking bike, but the detuned R1 engine is a big step from a 500 twin. Maybe an FZ6... hmmm..

spouse fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 22, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spouse posted:

I've been doing this two months at the end of this week, and I've put 3000 down already.

I just kinda want something with a bit more oomph

I posted:

Eventually you'll start to pin the throttle without being scared, and feel like you're used to the acceleration. For most people, this is between three and six months into riding. They figure they've "outgrown" the bike and start thinking about moving up to something bigger.

It's like clockwork.

Keep on the bike you're on for at least a year. Get a different seat if this one is uncomfortable -- that's a common complaint and common modification. If this is only the first time you've spent the whole day riding, of course your butt will be sore.

Going from 50~ horsepower (of which you are currently using maybe 35 at most, I'd guess) to 150 at this stage is insane. Unless you're over 300 pounds you don't need any more power than the Ninja 500 provides. Stick with it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 22, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How about instead of spending money on a bigger dick you could instead spend money on some super sticky tyres and some springs and valves for your bike and realise just how loving fast 50hp can really be while also improving yourself as a rider?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is a safe space thread, please be friendly (though your point is fundamentally sound)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're a teacher so you do good carrot but I only know stick sorry.

tjones
May 13, 2005

spouse posted:

I've been doing this two months at the end of this week, and I've put 3000 down already. I'm trying to hit 10k by the end of the year. That's a ton for me, I usually put about 10k on my car in a year, and I've still been driving on the rainy days for the most part.
Maybe an FZ6...

Just to be clear I don't think 10k miles total is no where near enough. That is about the time you think you know everything and don't.

You will be much better off slowly moving up to bigger bikes with the added benefit of having a better idea about what you really want in the next bike (you think you do now, but that most likely will change with time and experience).

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

You're all making great points (especially slavvy, I'm getting ahead of myself :) ), and I'm taking them to heart. It's just really hard not to go "oh this 500 is awesome on a stick, and people are saying it's dog slow. I wonder how awesome a 600/triple/leaderbike are then... they're so much purdier too, and look at this price on cycletrader!". I certainly don't *need* anything faster. I just figured I want a more comfortable bike for longer distances, why not get one that's also an upgrade in the power department?

You might be right, perhaps instead I should order a corbin seat and respring the bike for my weight, and work on it from there instead of getting all antsy about buying something ridiculous.

spouse fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 23, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Who is "they"? That says a 500 is slow? Compared to what? To a 1000cc sports bike on a track with slicks ridden by a pro? Sure. On the road, governed by speed limits, lines of sight, road condition, and traffic? Not at all.

Also re: leaderbikes etc. Yes the acceleration will be more visceral... Until you get used to it. Which will happen very quickly. Chasing horsepower is a fools errand. Get it out of your system when you know what you're doing and then get something else.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 23, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm confused. I thought it was liter bike, as in a liter (or greater) displacement.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm confused. I thought it was liter bike, as in a liter (or greater) displacement.

It is. Leaderbike is a dickheaded pun.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ah, right. "In the lead" because you're on the biggest bike. Hardy har.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Who is "they"? That says a 650 is slow? Compared to what? To a 1000cc sports bike on a track with slicks ridden by a pro? Sure. On the road, governed by speed limits, lines of sight, road condition, and traffic? Not at all.

Also re: leaderbikes etc. Yes the acceleration will be more visceral... Until you get used to it. Which you will happen very quickly. Chasing horsepower is a fools errand. Get it out of your system when you know what you're doing and then get something else.

I don't think a 650 is slow (I have a 500, which I also don't think is slow), and I don't really care what others say, this is easily the fastest vehicle I've ever owned, and it's been like a love affair ever since I got it. I think the bigger thing is that I started my search wanting an SV650, which is a bit faster (20 more hp, 15 more torque, higher top speed, faster 0-60, wider tires, etc), but when I sat on one it just didn't fit me, and the ninja oddly did. So I got this bike because it was cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and I also want to learn how to work on it entirely myself, so a cheap bike I'm not scared to make mistakes on is ideal. I also wisely listened to the frugal side of me and bought the used bike for cash instead of financing a new one. So now it feels like a compromise even though it 100% fits my needs.

As for they, I'm primarily speaking about reviews and forums and the like. I couldn't care less what "they" think, and I've gotten nothing but praise for picking a great starter bike from friends with years and years of riding experience, and not one rider in person has said anything negative about my choice, from guys on old metric cruisers to harleys to my buddy who tracks his s1000rr. The comment was more admiring the capabilities of faster machines I don't own yet, it's not a "wave my dick at people" thing. I just tend to quickly get deep into hobbies and want to spend money on them for the sake of being in it. When I built my first PC, I moved quickly from a $100 graphics card, to a $200 graphics card, to briefly 2x$400 graphics cards. The same logic in the back of my head applies with bikes, though it probably shouldn't. But I'm not gonna end up a smear on the pavement when I overdo it when overclocking, so I should probably relax and enjoy my ride, which so far, has been absolutely awesome.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm phone posting so I edited a few details I got wrong in the post you're quoting (mistook your 500 for a 650 for some reason). You seem like you've got a healthy attitude towards riding and bought the right bike for the right reasons. You'll do fine.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

spouse posted:

I don't think a 650 is slow (I have a 500, which I also don't think is slow), and I don't really care what others say, this is easily the fastest vehicle I've ever owned, and it's been like a love affair ever since I got it. I think the bigger thing is that I started my search wanting an SV650, which is a bit faster (20 more hp, 15 more torque, higher top speed, faster 0-60, wider tires, etc), but when I sat on one it just didn't fit me, and the ninja oddly did. So I got this bike because it was cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and I also want to learn how to work on it entirely myself, so a cheap bike I'm not scared to make mistakes on is ideal. I also wisely listened to the frugal side of me and bought the used bike for cash instead of financing a new one. So now it feels like a compromise even though it 100% fits my needs.

As for they, I'm primarily speaking about reviews and forums and the like. I couldn't care less what "they" think, and I've gotten nothing but praise for picking a great starter bike from friends with years and years of riding experience, and not one rider in person has said anything negative about my choice, from guys on old metric cruisers to harleys to my buddy who tracks his s1000rr. The comment was more admiring the capabilities of faster machines I don't own yet, it's not a "wave my dick at people" thing. I just tend to quickly get deep into hobbies and want to spend money on them for the sake of being in it. When I built my first PC, I moved quickly from a $100 graphics card, to a $200 graphics card, to briefly 2x$400 graphics cards. The same logic in the back of my head applies with bikes, though it probably shouldn't. But I'm not gonna end up a smear on the pavement when I overdo it when overclocking, so I should probably relax and enjoy my ride, which so far, has been absolutely awesome.

Be like this, but with suspension and riding the most track days. Also, get a dirt bike because it's the most fun.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

builds character posted:

Be like this, but with suspension and riding the most track days.

This, man. Reorient. You don't replace the whole computer, you find out how it works and what's holding you back, then upgrade that. (Note to my past self: it's the hard drive. Stop messing with memory timing multipliers and splurge on an SSD.)

There is so much poo poo to learn on a cheap bike. Replace spark plugs. Check your valves. Clean and balance your carbs. Replace your brake and clutch lines. Replace all your fluids. Replace your brake pads (and maybe rotors) if they need it.

Working on a bike is actually fun, unlike working on a car. At least for me.

And if you feel like you really need to spend money, start looking at better gear. Can always spend more on gear.

edit: wider tires aren't necessarily "better." They're more stable at high speeds, but make the bike less flickable around corners.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Thanks for all the advice :)

I'm looking at replacing my shocks and springs now, and I looked up stock springs and they're wayy underweighted for me. Apparently the stock is a 300# spring, I need a 500 or 550 (weigh 240lbs).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheNothingNew posted:

This, man. Reorient. You don't replace the whole computer, you find out how it works and what's holding you back, then upgrade that. (Note to my past self: it's the hard drive. Stop messing with memory timing multipliers and splurge on an SSD.)

There is so much poo poo to learn on a cheap bike. Replace spark plugs. Check your valves. Clean and balance your carbs. Replace your brake and clutch lines. Replace all your fluids. Replace your brake pads (and maybe rotors) if they need it.

Working on a bike is actually fun, unlike working on a car. At least for me.

And if you feel like you really need to spend money, start looking at better gear. Can always spend more on gear.

edit: wider tires aren't necessarily "better." They're more stable at high speeds, but make the bike less flickable around corners.

I went from working on cars for a living to working on bikes for a living and believe me they're more fun for everyone.

Also I really, really like narrow tyres. 190 section rears make a bike feel like a loving truck. On the road agility, sure-footedness and gently caress-up-forgivingness trump outright grip/contact patch. It takes a lot of effort to get temperature into the tyres on a modern 600/1000 sportsbike and you have to go so fast to get to the threshold of being able to feel what the tyres are doing that there's no point and it isn't fun at all. Nursing the thing over every mid-corner bump at 1/4 throttle is just frustrating and terrible IMO.

spouse posted:

Thanks for all the advice :)

I'm looking at replacing my shocks and springs now, and I looked up stock springs and they're wayy underweighted for me. Apparently the stock is a 300# spring, I need a 500 or 550 (weigh 240lbs).

Your mind will boggle. Pair that with a new set of the sportiest tyres you can find (for an ex500 that won't be very sporty but still) and you'll realise you've been using like 20% of what it can actually do.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Your mind will boggle. Pair that with a new set of the sportiest tyres you can find (for an ex500 that won't be very sporty but still) and you'll realise you've been using like 20% of what it can actually do.

I looked up tires, my options for "real" sport tires appear to be Bridgestone Battleax S20 Evos and... uh... nothing else. I have Pilot Streets on there right now, and like them a lot. I'll look into soft spensive tires too and see if that'll work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pilot streets are, as far as I can tell, a sporty looking tread pattern/profile from an older generation tyre with the finest chinese rubber on the outside. S20's would be a quantum leap from there but you would only really get the benefit when your skill is up to scratch and your suspension isn't laughably undersprung. How old are the michelins? Also as mentioned before, do all your engine maintenance stuff but also worth having a check of your head bearings and swingarm bearings as they can have a huge effect on how the bike corners. I know it seems overkill for a lovely learner machine but in reality it'll set you up for knowing what to do on basically any bike you buy, plus give you a baseline idea of what a working-condition bike feels like so you can form an accurate impression when buying in the future.

This rabbit hole has no bottom so be prepared for that too. Hope you don't like having other hobbies!