Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Retromancer posted:

I would proudly jam UB zombies with this in EDH if it weren't for the fact that UB is a dreadful color combination in EDH.

UB is the second best 2-color pair in the format.

This guy is probably the best option for a zombie tribal commander now, and he might be decent in standard too. Obviously an absolute house in limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

UB is fine in EDH? Obviously it'd be better if you also got removal for noncreature permanents, but that's basically the only thing you can't do and U has enough powerful bounce effects that to fake removal when you really need it.

yeah there's nothing wrong with UB in EDH, just play combo-control

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Veyrall posted:

It's a little disappointing that the Scarab god doesn't interact with the Locust and the Scorpion like they do with each other.

Well, it kinda works with them. Not super-amazing, but the Scorpion can kill things while the Scarab brings them back, and the Locust can loot into what the Scarab scries (scrys?) into.

It's scries.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Have we seen any of the Eternalize tokens yet? The eternals spoiled thus far look really cool.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Veyrall posted:

Have we seen any of the Eternalize tokens yet? The eternals spoiled thus far look really cool.

not sure if we've seen any others

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Veyrall posted:

Also

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Typhus733 posted:

SpbkaSO did a deck teck on it recently. People are trying out a lot of his jank online now that marvel is gone.
Someone on CFB was all "Oketra's Monument is one of the best ten cards in Standard righ now!" and I can't believe they'd do that for a Seth brew.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

You already for a hot take?

BFZ and KLD story bad, but amonkhet good?

E: to be clear, i dont think any magic story is actively good, though some of the one-shots have been perfectly acceptable. I enjoyed Yahenni's first appearance for example.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mehall posted:

You already for a hot take?

BFZ and KLD story bad, but amonkhet good?

E: to be clear, i dont think any magic story is actively good, though some of the one-shots have been perfectly acceptable. I enjoyed Yahenni's first appearance for example.

I don't even play much right now but I read spoilers and story stuff and now amonkhet is way more interesting than anything in a long time to me. Honestly it captures a real horror feeling way better than return to innistrad did imo, even if you can see it coming a mile away the idea of everyone waiting for eternity and a glorious afterlife & then just being presented with an endless wasteland is a cool, resonant image

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I kept reading the Amonkhet stories only because I kept hoping that maybe this week there would be actual plot instead of interminable character studies. The Samut stories gave me that plot but also highlighted how loving useless the Gatewatch had been for the past six weeks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I skimmed the Rhonas story and it was cool when he got ripped in half

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That was the staff he'd turned into a snake.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Then the story was lame and the best part is when they turned to Liliana for something and she was inside a wurm.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm really sorry I shouldn't go out of my way to ruin someone's positive story experience like that. :(

And yeah that was a good gag.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Jund gods is a good standard deck right now, I am enjoying playing it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The Amonkhet gods were generally all pretty boring. All of the HOU ones have been cool as hell. Clearly, Bolas took the cream of the crop here.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Djeru the Purified - 3WW (R)

Legendary creature - Human Warrior - 4/3

Vigilance

When ~ enters the battlefield you may search your library for a Planeswalker card, reveal it and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.

If a source would deal damage to a Planeswalker you control, prevent 1 of that damage.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well it's mystery and exploration of setting vs boring conflict that the cards have no time to invest you in... Or you can ask yourself: Is the story better because Nicol Bolas fires mind-lasers into Jace's brain that shoots out his ears and puts him on a boat?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

paincaster, what a name

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Good old Adjective Subjectivewizard.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm going to GP Birminghan with my other half, and am starting to be tempted to play the main event.
Do i take lantern control, or do i loan it to her, and build a gimmick deck like 7 land belcher, or Toshiro Orchard?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I like this!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, that looks legit dece.

Hope Tender filters deserts into coloured mana which is... Kind of them, I guess? But the Steward looks like fun.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Claim brings back death's shadow, so maybe it will find it's way into that deck?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jenx posted:

Claim brings back death's shadow, so maybe it will find it's way into that deck?

It's better in jund DS, because you can use the red half and you can bring back also tarmogoyf!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's better in jund DS, because you can use the red half and you can bring back tarmo!

turns out grixis decks do, in fact, run red

although I will agree that tarmogoyf is generally a better thing to bring back than snapcaster

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Elyv posted:

turns out grixis decks do, in fact, run red

although I will agree that tarmogoyf is generally a better thing to bring back than snapcaster

Right, I don't know why I excluded Red from grixis in my head...

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

I like this!

Most modern playable yet, I think

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

I like this!

I was wondering if they were going to do an Unearth type of card. Obviously actual Unearth would be a bit insane with Rogue Refiner and Tireless Tracker, but this feels just about right.

This seems powerful enough to spawn a cheap BR or BX/r creature deck, and the aftermath might enable a card like Combat Celebrant to finally see play. Just remains to be seen if it has a bigger impact on standard or modern.

I mean this thing gets back Bob, Goyf, Death's Shadow, Vizier and Devoted Druid, and the aftermath seems highly relevant.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Seems like it could see play in Mardu Vehicles? Wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of Jund Aggro list popping up, either.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

Seems like it could see play in Mardu Vehicles? Wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of Jund Aggro list popping up, either.

I don't think Mardu is the right shell for that type of card, compared to say, G/B Energy, because while getting back a 3/4 Elephant or a Longtusk Cub, a Snake etc is pretty good, the only 2 drop you want to get back in Mardu is Veteran Motorist. Then you have the issue of what do you cut for it, since that deck is already streamlined, and half the time you want your creatures in the yard anyway to feed scrounger.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess we've gone from 1-cost mana dorks, to 2-cost mana dorks, to 2-cost mana dorks that you can only use every other turn.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jabor posted:

I guess we've gone from 1-cost mana dorks, to 2-cost mana dorks, to 2-cost mana dorks that you can only use every other turn.

Channeler Initiate and Naga Vitalist are 2-cost mana dorks in Amonkhet. If anything, you're looking at a weird riff on Voyaging Satyr.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

After mulling on it a bit, I'm unconvinced on Claim to Fame making it into DS. The obvious comparison point is Kolaghan's Command, since both are 1BR spells that bring back a creature for value. Especially in Grixis, I suspect KoCo's versatility and power beat out Claim's speed. It has a better chance in Jund I think because Jund is a more aggressive build, but I'm not convinced. If I actually played Death's Shadow decks, I would test it, but I'm not convinced. It's interesting to note that you can split it up and that it gives you a bit of potential extra value off of edm Lili though.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Pontius Pilate posted:

You mean turbofog?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

No, Bolas! Don't kill the cute little bird! :ohdear:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

YggdrasilTM posted:

No, Bolas! Don't kill the cute little bird! :ohdear:

Is that a rare?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

Is that a rare?

Uncommon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Shadow225 posted:

Todd Stevens is playing a sweet looking Mono Red Eldrazi deck submitted by one of his viewers right now.

4 Aether Hub
2 Crumbling Vestige
4 Hanweir Battlements
15 Mountain
2 Magma Spray
4 Incendiary Flow
4 Harnessed Lightning
1 Collective Defiance
1 Sweltering Suns
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Hanweir Garrison
4 TKS
4 Chandra Torch of Defiance
4 Glotybringer
3 Reality Smasher

Sideboard:

2 Magma Spray
2 Dragonmaster Outcast
3 Hope of Ghirapur
1 Warping Wail
1 Eldrazi Obligator
1 Mirrorwing Dragon
2 By Force
1 Sweltering Suns
1 Chandra, Flamecaller
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship

It looks cool to me, someone with no interest or ability to play standard. Also, the Eldrazi package is absurdly powerful and WOTC is dumb for making the package powerful enough to be played in every format.

May throw this into XMage to try tonight. I really liked Conley Woods Mono Bluedrazi from a few days ago.