Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i have a few

so much of the equipment in the game is described as being the size of a pack of cigarettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredflonston
Jan 29, 2011

Tried to run a Cyberpunk 2020 scenario with some friends and it just fell flat imo. Maybe years ago it would be cool but now we have fuckin video games so I'd recommend playing those over trying to play cyber games pen and paper style.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

quote:

MEXICO CITY — Mexico’s most prominent human rights lawyers, journalists and anti-corruption activists have been targeted by advanced spyware sold to the Mexican government on the condition that it be used only to investigate criminals and terrorists.

The targets include lawyers looking into the mass disappearance of 43 students, a highly respected academic who helped write anti-corruption legislation, two of Mexico’s most influential journalists and an American representing victims of sexual abuse by the police. The spying even swept up family members, including a teenage boy.

Since 2011, at least three Mexican federal agencies have purchased about $80 million worth of spyware created by an Israeli cyberarms manufacturer. The software, known as Pegasus, infiltrates smartphones to monitor every detail of a person’s cellular life — calls, texts, email, contacts and calendars. It can even use the microphone and camera on phones for surveillance, turning a target’s smartphone into a personal bug.

The company that makes the software, the NSO Group, says it sells the tool exclusively to governments, with an explicit agreement that it be used only to battle terrorists or the drug cartels and criminal groups that have long kidnapped and killed Mexicans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/world/americas/mexico-spyware-anticrime.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just so everyone's clear, this is a confirmation that the same software or something superior is running on your own phone right now

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
not if you've got novahot skills it ain't!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

just so everyone's clear, this is a confirmation that the same software or something superior is running on your own phone right now

this in particular relied on getting the target to click a link, so don't take candy from strangers

for the better stuff you alluded to, it's deuces wild I guess

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i remember a wired article, before smart phones even, that listed the phones nsa back-doored

at that time it was public knowledge that if your phone was a) on or b) off but with a charge it could listen to your private convos

unless i'm wrong (and i'm never wrong) things have advanced since this?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i definitely heard an NPR bit circa 2009 where they were talking about the FBI being able to remotely install firmware on any phone (flip phones and stuff were the primary interest, smartphones were still new) that would turn it into a mic, yeah

so if the FBI was doing it in 2009 that means the NSA was doing it in 1999, and in 2019 the average russian 16 year old will be able to do it too

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f87mw1GYiCM

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

i remember a wired article, before smart phones even, that listed the phones nsa back-doored

at that time it was public knowledge that if your phone was a) on or b) off but with a charge it could listen to your private convos

unless i'm wrong (and i'm never wrong) things have advanced since this?

yes, now you can no longer remove the battery from your phone to foil surveillance, but putting your phone in an unplugged microwave or refrigerator is an accepted thing to do to prevent surveillance

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yes, now you can no longer remove the battery from your phone to foil surveillance, but putting your phone in an unplugged microwave or refrigerator is an accepted thing to do to prevent surveillance

http://imgur.com/gallery/hxFwA

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

That keypad looks so satisfying to touch. I miss buttons :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SpaceAceJase posted:

That keypad looks so satisfying to touch. I miss buttons :(

it was a sweet phone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i specified "unplugged microwave" because sometimes a reporter is just interviewing snowden or manning and wants to be able to use their phone again when they're done

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
surely someone makes EMF-opaque phone cases by now

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i specified "unplugged microwave" because sometimes a reporter is just interviewing snowden or manning and wants to be able to use their phone again when they're done

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

EMF-opaque phone cases

:thunk:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

well do you want convenience or security

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i definitely heard an NPR bit circa 2009 where they were talking about the FBI being able to remotely install firmware on any phone (flip phones and stuff were the primary interest, smartphones were still new) that would turn it into a mic, yeah

so if the FBI was doing it in 2009 that means the NSA was doing it in 1999, and in 2019 the average russian 16 year old will be able to do it too

in 1999 it would've been obvious since your phone would be burning up and the battery would be dead

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

surely someone makes EMF-opaque phone cases by now

you're unbelievable

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
steam sale is up!

neon chrome is $4.49, most other cyberpunk games are also on sale

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

you're unbelievable

you've said too much

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 22, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

you've said too much

it's just the things they say

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yes, now you can no longer remove the battery from your phone to foil surveillance
Anybody got a writeup on this? It's interesting.
Common sense says if the device doesn't have a power supply it can't do anything that draws power. I've not yet seen a smartphone you can't pop the battery out of, so what's the other piece of the puzzle? They come with backup integral batteries, or what?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

communism bitch posted:

Common sense says if the device doesn't have a power supply it can't do anything that draws power. I've not yet seen a smartphone you can't pop the battery out of, so what's the other piece of the puzzle? They come with backup integral batteries, or what?

...how have you never seen an iphone

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I honestly don't know anybody who has one,. You can't remove the battery?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

communism bitch posted:

i think the NSA has been taking a fish/barrel policy for a long time now

they're also pretty interested in just where a person is and what cell towers and hotspots they're hitting vs. trying to figure out your hosed up texts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

communism bitch posted:

I honestly don't know anybody who has one,. You can't remove the battery?

what kind of phone do you have?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

what kind of phone do you have?

Galaxy. Cant remember the series but it's not new. 5 or 6 maybe. Almost everybody i know uses an android of some sort, one or two have non-smartphones and my boss still has a blackberry lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

none of the new galaxy phones have removable batteries either so yours must be pretty old.

go to a phone store sometime.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

syscall girl posted:

they're also pretty interested in just where a person is and what cell towers and hotspots they're hitting vs. trying to figure out your hosed up texts

I send all my hosed up texts by carrier pigeon already. good luck hacking that, nsa pigs :smug:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

none of the new galaxy phones have removable batteries either so yours must be pretty old.

go to a phone store sometime.
Man that's hosed up just on a consumer level. In my experience the batteries conk out long before the handset is unusable.
I've already replaced the battery on my current phone twice and other than that it still works fine.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
consumerism bitch

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i've seen iphones in burma and rural china. you need to go out more or something.

an easily removable battery is a compromise to the integrity and space available in the device. old laptops that had removable batteries were loving battleships yet have a fraction of the battery life.

and if you really want to service the phone yourself, it's not that hard. any 5 dollar kit will do the trick

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

MeruFM posted:

i've seen iphones in burma and rural china. you need to go out more or something.
Im not saying they're not popular, but out of the number of people i know well enough to ocassionally talk about phones with nobody has an iphone. Consequently i didn't know you can't pop the battery out, which is something i took for granted.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

syscall girl posted:

if they can monitor towers and approximate location then they can grab other people in that range and that metadata paints an interesting picture, so yeah those texts are just a nice detail in the story

the real benefit of spying and monitoring is all the detail abstracted general data can provide. search history, location data, and some logging can tell a whole story that a few vague messages miss. lol when people think theyre immune and have been leaking that stuff everywhere

kind of a hosed up and cyberpunky time :hehe:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

if they can monitor towers and approximate location then they can grab other people in that range and that metadata paints an interesting picture, so yeah those texts are just a nice detail in the story

the real benefit of spying and monitoring is all the detail abstracted general data can provide. search history, location data, and some logging can tell a whole story that a few vague messages miss. lol when people think theyre immune and have been leaking that stuff everywhere

kind of a hosed up and cyberpunky time :hehe:

i used to feel like a useful idiot just copy pasting the search terms most likely to turn up but yeah it's more than just what you say

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

communism bitch posted:

Man that's hosed up just on a consumer level. In my experience the batteries conk out long before the handset is unusable.
I've already replaced the battery on my current phone twice and other than that it still works fine.

you can replace the iphone battery but its pretty fiddly & requires a bunch of torx screwdrivers and poo poo & you might break something

or you can pay a guy 20 bucks to do it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

communism bitch posted:

rule 36 get out of yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Powaqoatse posted:

you can replace the iphone battery but its pretty fiddly & requires a bunch of torx screwdrivers and poo poo & you might break something

or you can pay a guy 20 bucks to do it

You just need a pentalobe screwdriver and a suction cup. It's easy enough as long as you know how to handle a lithium battery. I can't imagine anyone doing it for $20 is all that much better.

• Locked thread