Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
After years or even decades of austerity and stagnating incomes there's clearly an appetite for more left-wing policy, but I wonder if part of the appeal of leftist policies has less to do with the policies themselves and more to do with the public's growing fatigue toward the styles and mannerism of centrist technocrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
left wing policies have always polled well

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

UrbicaMortis posted:

He'd take one look around and blow his brains out all over again.

Edit: although before he did, he would write an amazing teardown of all those recent 'maybe Nixon want so bad?' think pieces that have been floating around.

its not that nixon wasnt bad, just all other politicians got even worse

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
HST would be a pro twitter follow i bet

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Google image search tells me that's Pierce Brosnan as not-Gerry Adams.

Should've casted Daniel Day-Lewis though

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jose posted:

left wing policies have always polled well

In the abstract they do, which is part of why centrists will opportunistically poach the occasional lefty policy idea for their campaign stump speeches. I think part of the enthusiasm for some of these ripped-from-the-1970s types like Corbyn and Sanders is that their leftist policies seem to be matters of genuine belief that emerge from a consistent and coherent worldview rather than some stale focus grouped bullshit cooked up by lanyard wearing campaign consultants.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Adams, Gerry Adams.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Google image search tells me that's Pierce Brosnan as not-Gerry Adams.

he just retired

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Baron Corbyn posted:

he just retired

so he's a available

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

afaik Yglesias's critique of Ossof is that he wasn't willing to outline any policy plans, which meant people would have no idea what they're even voting for. Libs are terrified of having to explain what they want.

This is unfair. Ossoff had a clear, compelling, and inspiring vision.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Vox Nihili posted:

speaking of which~

dont eat the rich theyre too salty

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

speaking of which~

loving poors reeeeeeee

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

afaik Yglesias's critique of Ossof is that he wasn't willing to outline any policy plans, which meant people would have no idea what they're even voting for. Libs are terrified of having to explain what they want.

they have no idea what they want to do because their entire ideology is based around electoral politics and as such is completely soulless and empty.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

In the abstract they do, which is part of why centrists will opportunistically poach the occasional lefty policy idea for their campaign stump speeches. I think part of the enthusiasm for some of these ripped-from-the-1970s types like Corbyn and Sanders is that their leftist policies seem to be matters of genuine belief that emerge from a consistent and coherent worldview rather than some stale focus grouped bullshit cooked up by lanyard wearing campaign consultants.

I ought to write up something about what the Canadian Liberal Party nationally and provincially (in Ontario) is doing and has done historically to marginalize left-wing parties - and counteract their own growing unpopularity - by adopting popular left-wing policies at the right moment, but this is very true

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
from the osha thread

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

still better than burning to death i guess

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

from the osha thread

great, so not only did they get roast alive, they got smoked the gently caress out by the building itself

gently caress that oval office who cared about property values

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Lastgirl posted:

great, so not only did they get roast alive, they got smoked the gently caress out by the building itself

gently caress that oval office who cared about property values

i wonder what its like having so much money you care about it more than people? it seems pretty lovely

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i wonder what its like having so much money you care about it more than people? it seems pretty lovely

they weren't even particularly rich london house prices are just that broken

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
muh property value

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

my mam sold a flat she lived in for £10k to move up north that would now be worth £2m lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

He quit acting, he was on broadway almost exclusively for a while.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

He quit acting, he was on broadway almost exclusively for a while.

Really? I never thought of him as a song and dance man.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Really? I never thought of him as a song and dance man.

Or at least just stage plays, dunno what soured him from film

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The replies to Matt Yglesias on twitter were absolutely insane. There's this bizarre notion cultivated by the centrists for years now, that outlining your political intentions equates to a promise of action in government, and that not fulfilling those intentions due to an obstructionist opposition would be breaking that promise. Therefore, you should just aim low and only campaign on what you can actually expect to get done in legislature, which is gonna be some idiotic half-measure like the ACA or raising the retirement age for social security. Centrist libs just don't get politics at all.

Yep this is exactly it, you see this all the time.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Or at least just stage plays, dunno what soured him from film

I don't know that he necessarily needed to sour on it, just enjoy stage acting (or not acting at all) more- he's pretty clearly been in a position where he didn't need to work for money ever again if he didn't feel like it for quite a while now (assuming non-Nick-Cage-esque spending habits).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The replies to Matt Yglesias on twitter were absolutely insane. There's this bizarre notion cultivated by the centrists for years now, that outlining your political intentions equates to a promise of action in government, and that not fulfilling those intentions due to an obstructionist opposition would be breaking that promise. Therefore, you should just aim low and only campaign on what you can actually expect to get done in legislature, which is gonna be some idiotic half-measure like the ACA or raising the retirement age for social security. Centrist libs just don't get politics at all.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about this, but that was a major theme in the old salt Dem primary thread too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCRadio2/statu...agenumber%3D586

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Such a dapper terrorist.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's clearly Ray Romano

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jose posted:

still better than burning to death i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

robert webb had a meltdown over corbyn becoming party leader and quit the party

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I remember Webb being one of the precious artistes who had a meltdown about Corbyn saying that everyone has creative potential and should be enabled to pursue it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Snuff Box was better anyway.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

robert webb had a meltdown over corbyn becoming party leader and quit the party

mitchell always seemed like the good one but what do i know

Bryter