Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
so did we figure out if Hilary Swank is hot or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

finalellipsis posted:

so did we figure out if Hilary Swank is hot or not

take it to the dunder mifflin thread sir

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im his building's inexplicable elevator layout

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FuhrerHat posted:

im his building's inexplicable elevator layout

Those elevator doors did not have any safety features. And the stairs didn't have any emergency lighting. His whole building is basically a death trap.

edit:
More like the Helliot Bay Towers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has some superfan ever made a diagram of where the condo board's meeting room is?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has some superfan ever made a diagram of where the condo board's meeting room is?

Downstairs. Everyone knows that.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
later seasons have been pretty bad but the caviar episode is GOLD JERRY

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
ahhh, one of my favourite episodes was on today, 'the show must go off'. derek jacobi really hams it up so wonderfully.

"Ah, you must be the Crane pater! It is a pleasure to encounter the headwaters whence bridge these twin rivers upon which I have launched my humble craft."

"In the words of our great author, "stiffen the sinews! Summon up the blood! Disguise fair nature with hard-favored [nearly falsetto] rage! They lend the eye a terrible aspect!"

oh and I see it won him the emmy for guest actor. and fun fact i hadn't realised - his father is played by patrick macnee, of 'the avengers' fame, which was referenced in 'Radio Wars' as being Frasier's favourite show as a child, wearing his bowler hat and carrying an umbrella.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They showed the episode where Frasier's maybe-real-father shows up (played to perfection by the guy who played the snooty Frasier-like soldier on M*A*S*H) and it's loving gold

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 21, 2017

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Major Charles Emerson Winchester III. God I loved M.A.S.H. haven't seen anything quite like that since. The dialog was gold.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's David Ogden Stiers you cretin

Police Automaton posted:

Major Charles Emerson Winchester III. God I loved M.A.S.H. haven't seen anything quite like that since. The dialog was gold.

:respek:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

...and the pitch! posted:

I knew that but I didn't know if everyone else would instantly recognize the actor's name, but "the snooty guy who was basically a fatter balder Frasier" is a pretty accurate description IMO

I really miss M*A*S*H and am very glad that Alan Alda is still a riot wherever he shows up

also: IMDB proves that there are in fact, people even more pedantic than Frasier, and that is people who watch Frasier and post on IMDB:

Goofs posted:

When Frasier and Leland are drinking Sherry, Frasier describes it as an "Andalusian Amontillado". All Sherry is from Andalusia and their drink is a pale straw colour (probably Fino), whereas Amontillado is an oxidized variety making it a rich brown.

Frasier refers to Brassaļ as a "Romanian master". Whilst it's true that Brassaļ was born in what is now called Romania he was, in fact, a French and Hungarian national, having studied in Hungary and served in the Austro-Hungarian army during the First World War.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

I knew that but I didn't know if everyone else would instantly recognize the actor's name, but "the snooty guy who was basically a fatter balder Frasier" is a pretty accurate description IMO

I was sure you did. Just a harmless jape.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Even funnier when you remember that Winchester was also from Boston.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Even funnier when you remember that Winchester was also from Boston.

If any blood was ever blue

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was sure you did. Just a harmless jape.

Well if any thread is apropos for harmless japery surely it is this, the most sophisticated thread in GBS

I was gonna do a :puffs on pipe: thing but god drat if Frasier and Niles aren't so classy and sophisticated that they don't even need to smoke pipes to look fancy

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

also: IMDB proves that there are in fact, people even more pedantic than Frasier, and that is people who watch Frasier and post on IMDB:

I just lmao'd on the train at the use of "whilst", it reminded me that my favorite thing to happen on the internet this year was the invention of the word "whomst"

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

For years I thought it was Rob Reiner

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I finally watched The Pentagon Wars. Gram gramms brings the serious ham in that movie, it's very fun.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Carpet posted:

ahhh, one of my favourite episodes was on today, 'the show must go off'. derek jacobi really hams it up so wonderfully.

"Ah, you must be the Crane pater! It is a pleasure to encounter the headwaters whence bridge these twin rivers upon which I have launched my humble craft."

"In the words of our great author, "stiffen the sinews! Summon up the blood! Disguise fair nature with hard-favored [nearly falsetto] rage! They lend the eye a terrible aspect!"

oh and I see it won him the emmy for guest actor. and fun fact i hadn't realised - his father is played by patrick macnee, of 'the avengers' fame, which was referenced in 'Radio Wars' as being Frasier's favourite show as a child, wearing his bowler hat and carrying an umbrella.

Ah yes, another highlight of the later seasons. One of the only ones from that era that I would always watch when it was in reruns. Glad to hear he won an Emmy for it. A lot of his lines are forever embedded in my subconscious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

Ah yes, another highlight of the later seasons. One of the only ones from that era that I would always watch when it was in reruns. Glad to hear he won an Emmy for it. A lot of his lines are forever embedded in my subconscious.

GYUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
This thread made me keep watching Frasier after stopping years ago at the end of season one. I'm currently in the middle of season five.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I normally can't watch anything with a laugh track. Frasier is good.

e: holy poo poo did Niles just bang Lilith

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 24, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I never watched it when it was on the air for some reason I was dumb and got really into Friends. It's a good show Brent.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The exchanges when Sherry are new are so good.

"It's like I always say, humor is the best medicine!"
"I guess that means we're in the placebo group."

"For $100 I could buy enough [perfume] to drown myself!"
"I've got sixty."

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Indeed! To be entirely truthful, I dare say I'm rather enjoying myself. :mmmsmug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thunder Bear posted:

This thread made me keep watching Frasier after stopping years ago at the end of season one. I'm currently in the middle of season five.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I normally can't watch anything with a laugh track. Frasier is good.

e: holy poo poo did Niles just bang Lilith

Sure did! And its a running joke for the rest of the series!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Who can blame him

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sure did! And its a running joke for the rest of the series!

The guy who plays the room service attendant is awesome.

"Oh-kay."

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Who can blame him

Lillith was a 10

How did frasier keep crushin a calvacade of world-class puss for 2 decades

How

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I think when this was in it's prime (early 90s) I was a bit too young to enjoy it.

What other stuff should I go back and check out?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Newsradio? I haven't seen much of it but people hold it in high regard.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Now I need to find WKRP in Cincinnati

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

I think when this was in it's prime (early 90s) I was a bit too young to enjoy it.

What other stuff should I go back and check out?

Golden Girls was top notch, although Bea Arthur was the most unlikable straight man I've ever seen in a sitcom

I've always wanted to watch Caroline in the City again, a show which I'm sure is awful, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
anyone else unsure of the canon of daphne's psychic ability? in the early seasons we see she actually is psychic (like she can see Eddie next to an bench advert of Frasier) but then in the episode I just watched, it's shown she just used her 'ability' as a child as a defense mechanism against having so many brothers and being the only girl.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Golden Girls was top notch, although Bea Arthur was the most unlikable straight man I've ever seen in a sitcom

I've always wanted to watch Caroline in the City again, a show which I'm sure is awful, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere

I used to watch Caroline in the City every day when I got home from school. I wouldn't say it's awful so much as forgettable.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Carpet posted:

anyone else unsure of the canon of daphne's psychic ability? in the early seasons we see she actually is psychic (like she can see Eddie next to an bench advert of Frasier) but then in the episode I just watched, it's shown she just used her 'ability' as a child as a defense mechanism against having so many brothers and being the only girl.

well she did kill a bunch of people with her mind after they dumped pig's blood on her

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Lillith was a 10

How did frasier keep crushin a calvacade of world-class puss for 2 decades

How

Rich psychiatrist with a radio show.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Carpet posted:

Could simply be a plot device used for either comedy when it's inaccurate or dramatic irony when it is (when Roz gives Niles a dragon statue)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Carpet posted:

It's a comedic device, don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She also guessed that Frasier's gay boss had a fight about opera CD's. And it was sweet of Niles to keep that one researcher from telling her that she didn't have any real abilities.