Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just noticed that this one was titled Somebody to Love and now that ending makes perfect sense to me.

A Serious Man.

(Which everybody probably figured out way before me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Anyone else notice the last scene was pretty much the exact same as that of Lord of War? Varga and Nick Cage's characters are both quite similar also in terms of what they represent.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Ending sucked

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

timp posted:

That is exactly how I was hoping that scene would end and imo it's probably the only ending I respect
I recognized that was exactly how it was going to end as soon as they both gave their competing predictions and I've got ambiguous ending fatigue at this point.

It was a little goofy how Varga apparently disappeared up into that elevator shaft and Wrench and Swango just kind of shrugged and said fine, let's go kill the brother we know was under his control the whole time. And even with all the records Nicki turned into the IRS he got away with that $200m apparently.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'll say outside of Gloria's boss I think they did a very good job on all the characters this season. The bowling alley episode was really good and there was some good brothers stuff and Ray/Nikki stuff early on but besides that the plot kind of left me wanting

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
The ending was perfect and totally in line with the rest of the season. Overall S3 was a bit weaker than 1 and 2 but it was shooting for something different which is, like, the only good reason to have an anthology show in the first place. Plus a "weak" season of Fargo is more nuanced, intricate and generally better than the vast majority of narrative television. In a world of shows shooting for the lowest common denominator to tune in, Noah Hawley has a distinct voice and I appreciate the poo poo out of that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i thought the final scene was fine, it was more the stuff leading up to it that didnt work to me, overall i thought the season was pretty cool though

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017
I thought it was pretty dumb that NIkki and Wrench just kind of gave up on Varga after the empty elevator came down.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, it's the weakest season of Fargo but still better than your average show for me. This time they were way less subtle with the themes of the season and were willing to take more risks, at least from my perspective. It's just so drat hard to top those first two seasons, I'll be surprised if Fargo ever manages to, and since S1 of Fargo is like my platonic ideal of an insanely good show with a ridiculously good cast and plot, managing to just about equal it even one more time is quite an accomplishment.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

NetflixAndRichHill posted:

I thought it was pretty dumb that NIkki and Wrench just kind of gave up on Varga after the empty elevator came down.

We're not sure of Wrench's motivations or what he might have done afterwards. They were after the money. They got the money.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Boooooo. Boo to all of that. I was really hoping this season would come together.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
This is how it was supposed to end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZNKGrpnKM&t=81s

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

the ending was good and cool btw

why did Wrench wait 5 years to kill Emmit though?

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I liked it. Emmett's car being able to repair itself withstanding

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are we sure that man at the end is the same VM Varga from the rest of the show?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im still sad meemo died

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

In the end, the season felt pointless and over-indulgent and I didn't really like it.

But the robot episode was pointless and over-indulgent and I loved it.

:shrug: I don't know man.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Are we sure that man at the end is the same VM Varga from the rest of the show?

Y...yes?

oh jay posted:

In the end, the season felt pointless and over-indulgent and I didn't really like it.

But the robot episode was pointless and over-indulgent and I loved it.

:shrug: I don't know man.

Same, I loved that dumb Hollywood episode. Couldn't tell you why.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
What happened with the president? Did the Irs get her?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I feel like Varga was the protagonist, and we saw the show from the perspectives of secondary characters with Coon being a good guy antagonist.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

I recognized that was exactly how it was going to end as soon as they both gave their competing predictions and I've got ambiguous ending fatigue at this point.

It was a little goofy how Varga apparently disappeared up into that elevator shaft and Wrench and Swango just kind of shrugged and said fine, let's go kill the brother we know was under his control the whole time. And even with all the records Nicki turned into the IRS he got away with that $200m apparently.

Well, like the IRS agent said, It was all done legally, except for not paying taxes. The murders were written off by everybody but the ex-chief/DHS chick. Like Varga said, the other 4 murders had evidence shared between them and a man who had confessed to them all and was convicted. Then the show leaves the ending ambiguous which I personally loved. I believe Varga got away with it. This particular pump and dump was obviously not his first or even second or third it seemed to me. If that was truly the case he would most likely be working for higher ups in Russia as part of the real deal Russian mob although the show never really went into whether or not he had a boss. I really enjoyed this season. I honestly have to say I have enjoyed all 3 seasons equally.

Edit: Wrench and Swango had the money and had just destroyed Varga's men. Plus they probably thought the IRS information was enough to get him anyway. Emmit had killed her man and he was who she wanted revenge on the most. They didn't see the need to chase Varga up an elevator shaft considering all that.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mary Elisabeth Winstead and Ray Wise, that was the phenomenal stuff. Everything else... it was good, but it didn't have that je ne sais quoi.

Still better than anything else since Fargo S2, but drat this empty feeling!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah that's a nice fitting way to end the show. I'm going to take the opposite viewpoint and say I think Burgle got him arrested after all. First off Varga has no idea who she is or what her position is and is just making the assumption that she's someone's subordinate. Also. no matter how many times Varga may have gotten away with this before, he still ends up being caught by the technology he was so effortlessly manipulating earlier. If he's really so protected as to get someone in DHS to bail him out on a moment's inconvenience it's a wonder he would show up on facial recognition at all. Finally, I really just hope he got caught because he's a slimy and repulsive guy, and it seems like I get to pick my ending here.

I'm sure Carrie Coon will enjoy endless questions about not just one but two ambiguously ended season/series finales for the near future.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked the ending, and I liked the episode except for Nikki being taken out by some random cop (though randomness is always how the show works). When Emmit's car stalled and they showed the wide shot at the side of the road with the wire fence in the background, I thought the money Stavros re-buried was going to come back into play. I wonder if they'll ever go back to that.

I hope Mr. Wrench will be in season 4 somewhere, even briefly. I like him being the sole throughline.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
Varga is Anton Chigurh, the untouchable personification of evil, and Gloria is Tommy Lee Jones, a cop out of her time desperately chasing justice in a world that's left her behind.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I liked the ending, and I liked the episode except for Nikki being taken out by some random cop (though randomness is always how the show works). When Emmit's car stalled and they showed the wide shot at the side of the road with the wire fence in the background, I thought the money Stavros re-buried was going to come back into play. I wonder if they'll ever go back to that.

I hope Mr. Wrench will be in season 4 somewhere, even briefly. I like him being the sole throughline.

Nikki hosed up the mission that Ray Wise gave her, she went after Emmit instead of Varga. Messed up the message too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, is Hawley okay? That was a loving MEAN season of television. Like, really nasty.

Killer final scene, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Really enjoyed that final scene, and I think it was poetic that Emmit managed to claw his life back and got killed when he felt like he had regained everything he'd lost that was important to him.

I loved that both Gloria and Varga were supremely confident that their version of reality would prove out, and that we didn't get to see which one did. It was a nice bookend to that opening scene where the poor Russian guy is informed that his reality is irrelevant to the facts they have decided to fit him into. There we knew who had the authority to dictate reality, here we're left wondering whether Varga or Gloria are the person who gets to decide what "real" really is.

This is definitely the "weakest" season of Fargo so far. That still makes it very good, just not the tip-top of quality TV drama it's been in the past. I'm not sure if I think they should wrap it up there (this one does end in 2016) or have a shot at another period.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Struggling to find anything fun or gratifying in this season. The writers at least seemed to have a direction they were going for but I disliked that direction very much and I'm disapointed almost on a True Detective S2 level here.

The ending wasn't bad but considering how uninvolved I was with the characters it fell terribly flat. Winstead kept this from dragging all on her own.

frenton posted:

Varga is Anton Chigurh, the untouchable personification of evil, and Gloria is Tommy Lee Jones, a cop out of her time desperately chasing justice in a world that's left her behind.

Let's keep The Best Coen Brothers Movie out of this, please. :hai:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

White Rabbit posted:

Let's keep The Best Coen Brothers Movie out of this, please. :hai:

Donnie, you're out of your element. :chillpill:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The writeups of the finale/season on AV Club and Vox really help bring this season into focus for me:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/finale-fargos-third-season-sure-does-signify-somet-257158

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/6/22/15833772/fargo-finale-recap-season-3-review-somebody-to-love

In the end, I absolutely admire and even love this season in an intellectual sense, but I personally did not enjoy the actual act of watching it. I hated every second that Varga was on screen, making people drink piss and whatnot, and still think Emmit especially needed more depth. Too many characters felt too much like vague archetypes meant to represent Hawley wanted than actual human people. And seriously, poor Sy! His entire storyline was just fuckin cruel!

I can see this season growing on me with time, but right now it's at about a B/B- level (where s1 is A- and s2 is A). The best moments, though - episode 3, the bowling alley, that final scene - were up there with the best of the previous two seasons.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What was with the opening 80s era Stasi scene? I thought Varga or something would tie back into that but it didn't. I did get the bookend-ness of the DHS scene and that opening Stasi interview scene. Maybe that's all the connection their was, I dunno.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Ending scene was a copy of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTK8torOylM nearly word for word

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
-

KoRMaK posted:

What was with the opening 80s era Stasi scene? I thought Varga or something would tie back into that but it didn't. I did get the bookend-ness of the DHS scene and that opening Stasi interview scene. Maybe that's all the connection their was, I dunno.

The scene's sole relevance to the plot is that the actual murderer went on to become one of Varga's henchmen. Beyond that it was really just thematic.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ornithology posted:

Ending scene was a copy of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTK8torOylM nearly word for word

Ah I thought it sounded familiar

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

-

The scene's sole relevance to the plot is that the actual murderer went on to become one of Varga's henchmen. Beyond that it was really just thematic.
The russian dude?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's some (deliberate) time fuckery with Yuri in that Varga's henchman with the same name is seemingly too young to be the same character, as well as the Helga stuff in the bowling alley which appears to be from wayyy in the past (could be wrong on this last point)

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm sorry but Hawley is kind of losing it here. He tried to do Lynch all season but he's just not good enough, and in the end he gave us a story with too many loose ends without the right amount of dream world logic goodness. The last scene was terribly disappointing, an almost word for word copycat of Lord of War.

This is still great TV but it's far from the best things the guy has directed/written.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The reason why Nikki and Mr. Wrench didn't kill Varga was made clear in an earlier episode - Nikki didn't want to kill him, she wanted to hurt him. Specifically, she wanted to hurt him by taking what he had and by disproving his theory on life. She was convinced sending those tapes to the IRS would be enough - depending on how you interpret the end, it was. If he'd come out of that lift, it wouldn't have ended with a bullet. Just the message that he lost.

As to the end, thematically, Gloria is right to smile. Varga is wrong. The future isn't certain. Maybe a man will walk through that door and tell Gloria he's free to go. Gloria has certainly seen it happen before. But Varga is still wrong. He's convinced his money, his stature make him important and will protect him. That there is some sort of grand order in life and that he's at the very top, safe. But the show has been pretty emphatic in showing that life, and the universe, is chaos. Randomness.

His theory of everything doesn't account for anything outside of it - the Nikki Swango's, Mr. Wrenches and Gloria Burgles. People like Emmit fit into his theory perfectly - they're corruptible, lured in by promises of money and power. But Nikki has been shown to care about neither money nor power, turning down the job offer and even turning down the money in this episode. This doesn't fit. She's a force he can't predict. He played Emmit like a fiddle, down to the takeover of his company because he knew exactly how Emmit ticked. But Nikki was a step ahead of him at every turn. And while a random event was ultimately what caused her demise, it's that same series of chaotic and random events that ultimately brought Mr. Wrench to Emmit's house. Nobody is safe. There are no certainties.

Gloria may not know all this and might fear that events will play out like they've played out before, but she does know Varga is wrong. His sense of victory and security are misguided. It doesn't matter who comes through that door, Varga's playing with forces he doesn't understand and one day, he too might open his fridge to find a Mr. Wrench standing behind him. In the same way that Nikki didn't need to kill Varga, Gloria doesn't need to imprison him - it's an ideological battle and one he's lost.

So ultimately, the ending's not about who's going to come through that door. It's a red herring. The actual answer and the actual ending are there right before us. And that's the closure the series is giving us.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I thought it was fitting that Nikki died after getting her revenge on Vargas, and before killing Emmit.

She basically had "plot armor" typically until she delivered the message from Ray Wise, but essentially until she brought Vargas down -- I think.

That was pretty much why she was "allowed" to live further than the bowling alley. That's my theory anyway. She was never supposed to live after serving her purpose, and it was consistent with her character that she died doing something really stupid, while still maintaining her "street-smarts" attitude.

This season I think I enjoyed the second episode (or whichever the Hollywood episode was) and the Bowling Alley episode. Other than that it ended up being pretty lukewarm. I can appreciate that they went for something different, but they didn't quite manage it (there were still many callbacks and similarities to previous seasons), and it didn't work well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I liked nikki but emmit didn't mean to kill his dumb brother. The guy pulled the glass frame into his own face. Emmity shoulda told her that.

• Locked thread