Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

And while Lonzo Ball has been dreaming of restaging the Magic-fueled Showtime in Los Angeles, Phil Jackson has been conducting triangle tryouts with the fresh-faced likes of Malik Monk, the former Kentucky shooting guard.

“That’s what we did the whole workout, going over the triangle,” Monk said with an I’m-being-serious smile.

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I mean, gently caress the Knicks, but no one deserves this

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So Phil wants to trade KP out of spite, because he skipped his exit interview.

gently caress my life.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Today is draft day goons prep yourself for a dumbass trade

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Masai has been way too silent. Something better be brewing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Today is draft day goons prep yourself for a dumbass trade

Pels gonna somehow get PG with that 2M they freed up yesterday in that Frazier trade!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is phils yearly salary ? 15 million ?

Jfc

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

I call myself a Knicks fan and honestly it sort of owns how brazenly stupid the franchise is. The idiocy is impressive in its own right.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Someone posted this link a ways back, showing the players with the best winshares at every draft position.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19657372/the-best-picks-every-nba-draft-slot

I knew that Kobe was drafted 13th, but I had no idea that Karl Malone was drafted 13th. And Stockton was 16th the year before. Whoever made those picks deserves to be in the hall of fame. How could 12/15 other teams miss these guys?

I'm old enough to remember those Finals against the Bulls. How did these two guys never win a ring. Boggles the mind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That lowering of the cap could be big with teams in the tax or near the tax. 2 million can be a lot of money in the tax

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This hurts my head https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/877879447487205377

If you think he's the best why is he on the table?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Sounds an awful lot like Phil's pushing for the 2018 Brooklyn pick in addition to #3

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Someone posted this link a ways back, showing the players with the best winshares at every draft position.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19657372/the-best-picks-every-nba-draft-slot

I knew that Kobe was drafted 13th, but I had no idea that Karl Malone was drafted 13th. And Stockton was 16th the year before. Whoever made those picks deserves to be in the hall of fame. How could 12/15 other teams miss these guys?

I'm old enough to remember those Finals against the Bulls. How did these two guys never win a ring. Boggles the mind.

I have no idea what the scouting looked like in the mid-80s but Stockton was a 6'1" unathletic guard who really only had one fantastic year at Gonzaga. Malone came from Louisana Tech and was sorta noteable for getting worse each year in college, his final year stats were not mind-blowing.

I mean, all credit in the world to Utah for picking those guys, but I don't see how either of them would be on the top of draft boards with any scouts. The draft is funny like that.

Metapod posted:

This hurts my head https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/877879447487205377

If you think he's the best why is he on the table?

Why on earth would New York want good, young talent.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

Masai has been way too silent. Something better be brewing.

Masai doesn't seem to get in on the crazy stuff like this.

I have no idea what he could do because any scenario for someone like PG or Zing can be trumped by four other teams.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
N: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19705087/san-antonio-spurs-shopping-lamarcus-aldridge-top-10-draft-pick

quote:

The San Antonio Spurs, in pursuit of a top-10 pick in Thursday's NBA draft, have spoken to at least three teams about a possible trade involving power forward LaMarcus Aldridge, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Aldridge's contract contains a player option after the 2017-18 season, and he declined to address the situation when asked specifically by ESPN about it during the playoffs.

For the Spurs, working to consummate a trade now is more advantageous than potentially losing Aldridge after next season with no compensation in return.

V: Something crazy better go down tonight or I will be disappointed after all this build up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If San Antonio trade LMA after all the assurances they gave him that would be pretty lovely.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lockback posted:

If San Antonio trade LMA after all the assurances they gave him that would be pretty lovely.

i know and thats why i dont want them to do it

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Danny LaFever posted:

Masai doesn't seem to get in on the crazy stuff like this.

I have no idea what he could do because any scenario for someone like PG or Zing can be trumped by four other teams.

I'm hoping he can get rid of Carroll somehow through the fog of war/desperation

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/877890502716080128

Danny

Please

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Lockback posted:

San Antonio should trade LaMarcus Aldridge because he's pretty lovely.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Lockback posted:

But maybe he assured them that he wouldn't be lovely!

:smugdon:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What the ...

Hornets aren't sure whether they're going to start Dwight Howard over Zeller.

My god, how the mighty have fallen. :stonk:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Trading LMA would an incredible lovely thing for the spurs to do but on the other hand it would be really funny

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the ...

Cody Zeller was quite good last year just fyi

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the ...

Partly that, partly because Zeller's a very good modern defender and they rejiggered their offense around him running the PNR with Kemba and Batum. I think they'll basically split minutes depending on the matchup but Dwight will start because he definitely cares more

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

do zellers have a higher combined WS than plumlees

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when you compute the zeller and plumlee WS/48 and PER do you just average the numbers or do you have to weight by the individual white stiffs' minutes

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Metapod posted:

Trading LMA would an incredible lovely thing for the spurs to do but on the other hand it would be really funny

Yeah, but OTOH he was supposed to be a lot better for them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

do zellers have a higher combined WS than plumlees

Yes, 32.1 to 30.9

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

big boi posted:

Yeah, but OTOH he was supposed to be a lot better for them.

He had a 22 PER and a .215 WS/48 in 2016, that's all-NBA type numbers and the team won almost 70 games. 2017 was a step down for sure, but I think at least some of this had to do with Leonard taking a much bigger role on offense, but his numbers were still really good. He's also 31 and should be declining from his peak and I don't think that should have been a surprise.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
With the cap now coming in at $99m rather than $102m the Celtics are now going to have to make a move in order to create room for a max contract.

Hmm.. how about

No. 3, Lakers '18 pick and one of Smart or Crowder for Kristaps Porzingis

Which also creates the space to sign either Gordon Hayward or Blake Griffin to a max deal, plus also gives you the room to bring over Zizic (and Yabusele if they wanted to).

Thomas
Bradley
Hayward
Horford
Porzingis

Bench: Smart/Crowder, Brown, Rozier, Zizic, 37th pick, an MLE FA

OR they could just keep stockpiling all these assets until they own the whole first round in 2028.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cap drop also means a bigger cut Durant will have to swallow to keep Iggy or Livingston. I think this means one of them is gone and it's probably Livingston.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

tanglewood1420 posted:

No. 3, Lakers '18 pick and one of Smart or Crowder for Kristaps Porzingis

I think that's almost certainly what's going to happen if a trade goes down, and almost certainly Crowder since Phil Jackson loves him

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

morestuff posted:

Yes, 32.1 to 30.9

This is the best rivalry in the NBA

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think that's almost certainly what's going to happen if a trade goes down, and almost certainly Crowder since Phil Jackson loves him

Feel free to empty quote this later but I'll be shocked if this is anything but Phil being a petty, small man trying to show KP who's boss

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

Feel free to empty quote this later but I'll be shocked if this is anything but Phil being a petty, small man trying to show KP who's boss

I agree but Boston is definitely going to have to unload Smart, Bradley or Crowder somewhere

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Sam Hinke's Revenge video game? Yes please.

http://hinkie.theringer.com/

Marklar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 22, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

I think he is trying to get both Melo and KP "in line" but he spends most of his time away from the team so no one is going to respect him regardless.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Back in the good old days, Phil would've just given him a book to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is getting a bit into kicking dead horse but

https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/877700420088455168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I'm enjoying the Knicks dysfunction quite a bit but honestly it's not fair to what is a really good fanbase.

• Locked thread