Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Unfortunately, there's really nothing to see. Just stereotypically awful screenshotted "photos" in an FB advert.

£159 for an '07 car with 11 month's MOT?

That's got to be a typo, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
If we're doing hot sauce chat again, I need to plug Ring of Fire from Mike and Diane's. I've been buying this stuff for a long time and the quality has stayed the same. It's not face melting hot, but it has great flavor. The habenero sauces are amazing, and the new spicy mustard makes everything taste better. Honestly not a huge fan of most of the other flavors, but the original and Xtra Hot are really great.

http://www.ringoffirehotsauce.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

"£150 no offers car drives fine has lesbian scratched down the side"

I would happily drive a car with "lesbian" scratched down the side (unless it was a PT cruiser)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Now imagine it getting 94F outside in the summer and -10F in the winter and you can understand detroit lol

Apparently it got to 34.5C (94F) today in london. There was a tiny breeze and it felt like a hairdryer.

Over the last 7 days the only place I have found that has AC is the occasional supermarket.

Tomorrow I am working in a building with 2 air conditioned server rooms. gently caress working in the office. I'm gonna sit in one of the server rooms. Then on the way home i'm going to look at a car that has AC (Therefore it will probably be under 20C for the rest of the year now...)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

£159 for an '07 car with 11 month's MOT?

That's got to be a typo, surely.
I think it's a typo of £150. Get-it-gone pricing on accounts of the comedy vandalism.

It's a slightly battered ten year old Renault for which "runs fine" is going to be subjective. It's probably a good buy, in a sense.

Tomarse posted:

I would happily drive a car with "lesbian" scratched down the side (unless it was a PT cruiser)
Perfectly reasonable.

Tomarse posted:

Over the last 7 days the only place I have found that has AC is the occasional supermarket.
I can turn the Zoe's AC on remotely from the office before going outside at the end of my shift. My colleagues are going to shiv me if this weather continues.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 21, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tomarse posted:

Looks like they spelled it with a "Z," does that change your metrics?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

I can turn the Zoe's AC on remotely from the office before going outside at the end of my shift. My colleagues are going to shiv me if this weather continues.

I've got remote start on my Crown Vic. It's lovely, if I remember to turn the AC on when I get out in the morning.
Thankfully, I park in a parking structure at the new job, rather than out in the blazing Texas sun like at the old one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

i can drop my roof with the keyfob.

I don't do it because I look like a quote 'pretentious prick' unquote when I do.

I do not disagree with this assessment.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have a silly patterned sun shade and good tint. And work nights. Mostly its the work nights thing that helps.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tomarse posted:

Apparently it got to 34.5C (94F) today in london. There was a tiny breeze and it felt like a hairdryer.

Tomorrow I am working in a building with 2 air conditioned server rooms. gently caress working in the office. I'm gonna sit in one of the server rooms. Then on the way home i'm going to look at a car that has AC (Therefore it will probably be under 20C for the rest of the year now...)

It's been over 100 every day this week here in Albuquerque. On Monday, it got so hot in Phoenix that they grounded air traffic, which I didn't even know was possible.

You can get used to it; I grew up in a desert environment that would regularly hit 110F in the summer and I'd be working in dusty cattle pens. Albuquerque's been more or less like returning to my childhood home. You, unfortunately, are probably hosed because your body won't have enough time to adapt.

Drink enough water, and if you're not sweating after a while outside you probably need to get somewhere cool and hydrate.

You might be able to rig up some sort of evaporative cooling with a fan and some water-soaked cloth, but if the humidity is high this won't work.

Seminal Flu posted:

Looks like they spelled it with a "Z," does that change your metrics?

poo poo, I'll pay £200 in that case.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's been over 100 every day this week here in Albuquerque. On Monday, it got so hot in Phoenix that they grounded air traffic, which I didn't even know was possible.

Me either. Turns out, the heat causes the air to expand and make it not dense enough for the planes to take off in the given runway length.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

I've got remote start on my Crown Vic. It's lovely, if I remember to turn the AC on when I get out in the morning.
Thankfully, I park in a parking structure at the new job, rather than out in the blazing Texas sun like at the old one.
That's why I like it, you can just turn the HVAC on. Nothing else. 5 minutes of chilling on a timer. It's brilliant, as is the logical opposite (heater) on frosty mornings.

spog posted:

i can drop my roof with the keyfob.

I don't do it because I look like a quote 'pretentious prick' unquote when I do.

I do not disagree with this assessment.
Quite a few cars will do the "drop all windows" thing with a specific type of keyfob press, too. Just being able to dump all the hot air out the car makes a big difference.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 22, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

Me either. Turns out, the heat causes the air to expand and make it not dense enough for the planes to take off in the given runway length.

Hell, that means we're at even greater risk of it here in ABQ at over a mile altitude. Here's a small plane failing to stay in the air at ~6,000 feet in an Idaho summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVM3RRd1vf0

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

Unfortunately, there's really nothing to see. Just stereotypically awful screenshotted "photos" in an FB advert.

I brought a 1981 Corolla for bugger all back in the late 90s, was in good nick except for some scratches on the front guard and the door locks wouldn't work.

The female owner told me the scratches were from a parking incident. I didn't think much about. Brought the car and took the barrel locks down to a lock smith to find out why they weren't working. I found out the locks were full of superglue. Then I heard the real story about this car and its previous owner - supposedly she shagged a boyfriend of a girl who I also knew, so that girl got revenge by scratching the car and filling every door lock with superglue. Ah well.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Those Megane's are a ticking time bomb of electrical gremlins. We had an estate as a work hack - the passenger side window would wind itself down an inch at a time for no reason and the boot would open when you were driving.

We had to pull the window fuse and bungee the boot shut. So one summer day we were driving about with the air con on when we smelt clutch. Air con compressor seized. Engine out job to fix it. Off to we buy any car it went.

Good riddance. It handled horribly, the only good thing about it was the Diesel engine had decent shove and used bugger all fuel. We replaced it with a Chevrolet Lacetti Estate (Suzuki Forenza) which was better in everything but engine.

For £150 I kind of want it even though it's only got the little 1.4 pez

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Temp chat.. heat wave in Phoenix is over...

Today's high temp on my weather station only 120, down 6 degrees from yesterday's 126.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot sauce chat?

Been playing around with ingredients of late and I have a new blend that tastes exactly like the one I was selling to you guys only now it has ZERO calories.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Been playing around with ingredients of late and I have a new blend that tastes exactly like the one I was selling to you guys only now it has ZERO calories.

:chloe:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We have ways of making you talk.

I see we're on the same level for taco sauce.

Pham Nuwen posted:

You can get used to it; I grew up in a desert environment that would regularly hit 110F in the summer and I'd be working in dusty cattle pens. Albuquerque's been more or less like returning to my childhood home. You, unfortunately, are probably hosed because your body won't have enough time to adapt.

You might be able to rig up some sort of evaporative cooling with a fan and some water-soaked cloth, but if the humidity is high this won't work.

I grew up in El Paso, which is similar to Albuquerque's climate (maybe a little hotter, but not as hot as Phoenix).

110 is loving hot, but at least there's no humidity to speak of in most of NM (or El Paso). I can handle 100-105 in the desert fine so long as I have water and sunblock. 110 is tolerable if I have a hat and an occasional bit of shade.

This 90+ w/70% humidity poo poo in DFW, on the other hand.... gently caress this loving humidity. I've been here 20 years and I still want to die anytime I step outside after about 2pm between April and October.

Growing up, I never knew swamp coolers weren't considered real air conditioners... I never lived in a house that had anything else until I was in high school. Swamp coolers work great in the desert though, and cost so little to run - if they worked out here I'd be all over that, my electric bill is painful here.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Don't be like that, most hot sauces have like 5kcal per tsp. The secret is vinegar and lots of pepper

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

QuarkMartial posted:

That's not true actually. Well, it is, but it's not what's actually the problem.

The reason why flights in and out of Phoenix have been cancelled is simply because the aircraft manufacturer (specifically Bombardier in this case) does not publish performance data for temperatures that high. Their aircraft are perfectly capable of flying under those conditions (the density altitude at Phoenix that day, which is altitude corrected for temperature and pressure variations, would be about 5700 feet - high, but where I live it can often be above 6000 feet, and at airports like Denver it can approach 8000 feet), it is entirely a regulatory issue of just not having the information needed to calculate runway requirements, climb gradients, etc.

E: On a somewhat related note, as of the time of this post, the hotspot in Canada (and in fact it has been nearly all day long) is at a place called Fort Good Hope. Now where might that be - the interior of British Columbia is pretty hot this time of year, right? Maybe Saskatchewan, where the highest temperature ever in Canada was recorded? Southern Ontario? No, Fort Good Hope is here:

And just to give you some pause for thought, if the forecast holds true, it's going to be the hottest place in Canada for probably the next week.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 22, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been watching Doug DeMuro's "reviews" and while entertaining, they got me thinking that I screwed myself when I sold my 1997 4Runner SR5 in January.

-214k miles, powertrain in good shape
-Valve gasket cover needed replacing
-Radio antenna doesn't automatically telescope
-Significant damage to front bumper
-Moderate damage to rear left bumper and quarter panel
-Wobble to rear left wheel that a local auto shop said was a damaged axle/hub requiring upwards of $1,000 to replace
-Also the airbags were deployed in a driver-side collision and never replaced (windshield and left door were replaced).

It sold within like 12 hours of my listing it for $1100.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been watching Doug DeMuro's "reviews" and while entertaining, they got me thinking that I screwed myself when I sold my 1997 4Runner SR5 in January.

-214k miles, powertrain in good shape
-Valve gasket cover needed replacing
-Radio antenna doesn't automatically telescope
-Significant damage to front bumper
-Moderate damage to rear left bumper and quarter panel
-Wobble to rear left wheel that a local auto shop said was a damaged axle/hub requiring upwards of $1,000 to replace
-Also the airbags were deployed in a driver-side collision and never replaced (windshield and left door were replaced).

It sold within like 12 hours of my listing it for $1100.

You mean $4400, right? :crossarms:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Raluek posted:

You mean $4400, right? :crossarms:
KBB had it around $2200 so I figured with the rear axle damage and bumper damage... :smith:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Josh Lyman posted:

KBB had it around $2200 so I figured with the rear axle damage and bumper damage... :smith:

Yeah $2500-3k might be a more reasonable number, actually. Here's one on my local CL for $2k:

All of the other ones cheaper are not running, salvage title, unregistered, or similar. Except one for $1350, not sure what's up with that one. Maybe a scam or already sold?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 22, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man okay the blacksmithing thread has no respect for hobbyist level stuff I guess. I just bought myself a $200 milling attachment for my lathe. Seems expensive, but they usually go for $350+. That's because they made a poo poo TON of Atlas/Craftsman lathes, but barely anybody bought the expensive accessories for them back in the day. So the survivors have to fight over a tiny amount of remaining attachments.

M6-501 milling attachment.

I'm not going to be a pro or anything, but I think it'll be nice to be able to cut keyways and other small things. This plus a 4-chuck jaw (if anybody has a 1"-10 TPI chuck lying around, lemme know) seem like a powerful combination. The opening, without any vice jaws, is 2.950". So, with jaws, probably 2.5. Seems like a bit of fun.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 22, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BraveUlysses posted:

you can make buffalo wings with any louisana style hot sauce

i'd take franks over tobasco but i like crystal extra hot for that style of sauces

You shut your mouth.

60/40 Frank's gold and butter is tasty.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 22, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Liquid Communism posted:

You shut your mouth.

60/40 Frank's and butter.

Yes, this. So many wrong people in this thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

That's why I like it, you can just turn the HVAC on. Nothing else. 5 minutes of chilling on a timer. It's brilliant, as is the logical opposite (heater) on frosty mornings.

That is slick. Hybrid/electric, I presume?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I see we're on the same level for taco sauce.

I grew up in El Paso, which is similar to Albuquerque's climate (maybe a little hotter, but not as hot as Phoenix).

110 is loving hot, but at least there's no humidity to speak of in most of NM (or El Paso). I can handle 100-105 in the desert fine so long as I have water and sunblock. 110 is tolerable if I have a hat and an occasional bit of shade.

This 90+ w/70% humidity poo poo in DFW, on the other hand.... gently caress this loving humidity. I've been here 20 years and I still want to die anytime I step outside after about 2pm between April and October.

Growing up, I never knew swamp coolers weren't considered real air conditioners... I never lived in a house that had anything else until I was in high school. Swamp coolers work great in the desert though, and cost so little to run - if they worked out here I'd be all over that, my electric bill is painful here.

Oh, god yes, the humidity sucks. Doing all the brake work last weekend was just shy of miserable. I had to take breaks in the garage with shade and a box fan, and keep a towel handy. Wearing a boonie hat helped.
I didn't use to be that bad here in N.TX. Both of my grandparent's hoses had swamp coolers, and they actually worked when I was kid in elementary school (loooong ago).
I was accustomed to this sort of humidity when I lived down near the Gulf Coast. Don't really want it up here...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Man okay the blacksmithing thread has no respect for hobbyist level stuff I guess. I just bought myself a $200 milling attachment for my lathe. Seems expensive, but they usually go for $350+. That's because they made a poo poo TON of Atlas/Craftsman lathes, but barely anybody bought the expensive accessories for them back in the day. So the survivors have to fight over a tiny amount of remaining attachments.

M6-501 milling attachment.

I'm not going to be a pro or anything, but I think it'll be nice to be able to cut keyways and other small things. This plus a 4-chuck jaw (if anybody has a 1"-10 TPI chuck lying around, lemme know) seem like a powerful combination. The opening, without any vice jaws, is 2.950". So, with jaws, probably 2.5. Seems like a bit of fun.

So it makes it a small horizontal mill?

edit: oh, hey, look at this!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 22, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

Oh, god yes, the humidity sucks. Doing all the brake work last weekend was just shy of miserable. I had to take breaks in the garage with shade and a box fan, and keep a towel handy. Wearing a boonie hat helped.
I didn't use to be that bad here in N.TX. Both of my grandparent's hoses had swamp coolers, and they actually worked when I was kid in elementary school (loooong ago).
I was accustomed to this sort of humidity when I lived down near the Gulf Coast. Don't really want it up here...

It was 33 degrees C/91F yesterday where I was. 94% humidity. It was not fun just existing let alone doing anything. And this is in the UK, it was loving crazy hot and miserable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My fiance was offered a promotion but it's here in town and it kind of bummed me out because I was starting to really look forward to moving in the next year. If she takes this position we'd stay here in Indiana for the foreseeable future and she'd pursue a few other local opportunities that come with the new job. She hasn't accepted it yet because she wants to talk to the regional VP about the Carolinas first but yeah, might end up staying in Indiana. And if that happens I think I would rather buy a house than drop $25K on a toy car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

That is slick. Hybrid/electric, I presume?
Yeah, electric.

I think it'll become more and more common as more stuff goes to hybrid drivetrains.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

it was loving crazy hot and miserable.
I'm getting a hat before doing anything outside this weekend, that's for sure. Bloody burnt my balding scalp.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I'm getting a hat before doing anything outside this weekend, that's for sure. Bloody burnt my balding scalp.

I've had to start wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses when driving.

I feel like the bloody unibomber.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I've had to start wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses when driving.

I feel like the bloody unibomber.
Well, don't use the same card to pay for van rental and kitchen knives, that's for sure.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

So it makes it a small horizontal mill?

edit: oh, hey, look at this!

A teeny tiny horizontal mill, yep.

drat that one is expensive. I got mine for $300 including workbench, and have spent another 300 (200 for milling attachment, 50 for change gears, some tooling add'l). It looks very nice, but $1500 gets you a pretty sweet freestanding modern lathe with digital speed control and a quick change gearbox.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

I think I would rather buy a house than drop $25K on a toy car.

...but you'd still be in Indiana so a cool, fun car would be a good way to try and escape the fact you live in Indiana.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Tomarse posted:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...but you'd still be in Indiana so a cool, fun car would be a good way to try and escape the fact you live in Indiana.
Indiana roads are turbogarbage though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah, but do I need an Evo right this minute? I'm thinking maybe put off that kind of purchase another year (wait for prices to drop some more) and get me a house with some land and a shop space. What if I dump more money into the MS6? It'll never handle like an Evo but people are putting down crazy power for pennies in them these days.

Adulting is very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Saw that as a convertible at first...

• Locked thread