Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beerdeer posted:

I haven't had the chance to play yet, but every battle report I've watched just wind up with a huge pile of melee by turn 2 no matter what kind of armies are used. Is this a problem people have run into? Is melee the winner over shooting this round?

Melee is better but there's a lot of options for escaping the melee scrum if you want to now. Combats are a lot more fluid and shooting armies have more option to release key opponents and focus fire them.

Naramyth posted:

Yeah it was something else. I killed 15 warriors and the deceiver turn one. Turn two they melted most of the wraiths. Just forcing an ocean of mortal wounds is pretty good.

ETC is considering banning the HQ detachment because of garbage like this and Tau missile commanders.

Doesn't surprise me. Despite everyone getting excited about them I don't think command points are really a big enough incentive not to use 6 HQs or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Thanks to this post, I just ordered 60 Howling Griffons shoulder symbols, and decided to go for painting my Primaris just like Zuul.

I also went crazy for the heavy jump troops, and now own 12 of them.

:golfclap: Congratulations on your choice of the best chapter. Be sure to post progress pics!

My inceptors are next up in the assembly line. What I really like best about the Primaris is how big they are. The emblems and armor really have a chance to shine now and don't feel so scrunty.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Yeah it was something else. I killed 15 warriors and the deceiver turn one. Turn two they melted most of the wraiths. Just forcing an ocean of mortal wounds is pretty good.

ETC is considering banning the HQ detachment because of garbage like this and Tau missile commanders.

The psyker spam has been destroying my necrons. I have no idea what to do about it, playing against death guard and he has a bunch of characters I can't target just unloading and deleting units every turn. I can't kill the stuff in front of them off enough with the disgustingly resilient.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It wouldn't be a GW release if something innocuous didn't turn out to be insanely bent on day 1.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If anyone has been playing Tyranids, in your experience are adrenal gland hormagaunts jumping out of a tyrannocyte an effective use of points?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

Feels like it's worth waiting at least like, a month before banning things and letting the meta actually shake out

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I noticed that a venerable chaplain dreadnought and Bjorn both have less than 10 wounds and the character keyword. If you stick infantry in front of it the 10 foot tall dreadnought can't be shot at.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If anyone has been playing Tyranids, in your experience are adrenal gland hormagaunts jumping out of a tyrannocyte an effective use of points?

I haven't really had any trouble with hormas reaching combat starting on the board. Having them around helps ensure things like Primes and Broodlords make it across the table too.

Personally I think pods are best used avoided for pure melee units and saved for heavy duty objective grabbers (Tervigons) or shooty alpha-strikes (devourer termies, shockcannon hive guard, zoans, pyrovores)

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Trygon Prime tunnels are better, and they need the Synapse support.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'm putting together an Eldar army for 8th and I'm wondering, does anybody what would be the effect of GW's spray varnish on the transparant plastic windows used for Eldar vehicles? Is their spray varnish any good?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Mukip posted:

I'm putting together an Eldar army for 8th and I'm wondering, does anybody what would be the effect of GW's spray varnish on the transparant plastic windows used for Eldar vehicles? Is their spray varnish any good?

I dunno about Eldar, but I know from building gunpla that you want to tape up transparent plastic sections before spraying anything.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I just bought the Deathwatch Chaplain and an extra Primaris Ancient to turn into a Primaris Chaplain. This'll be my first real time kitbashing. Here's hoping it goes well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zuul the Cat posted:

So I just bought the Deathwatch Chaplain and an extra Primaris Ancient to turn into a Primaris Chaplain. This'll be my first real time kitbashing. Here's hoping it goes well.

Post pics of the result, I'm dying to see a Primaris Chaplain.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mukip posted:

If nothing else, it will dull the transparency. Tape it off or glue it on later. IMO, you're better off getting Testor's Dullcote - it will be cheaper than the GW stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How often does Stepping Away from combat actually happen? Just jamming a sacrificial unit up the middle to get butchered seems like a solid way to guarantee more shooting into an assault heavy army.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Good news, the web army list builder now has imperial guard.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Mukip posted:

I used army painter matte on one of my eldar vehicles and it frosted the canopy. I'll see if I can get a pic

E:

Hixson fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 22, 2017

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I've been assembling and Space Wolfing my Primaris Marines and I have to say, I am impressed at how nice these kits are. They are so much better than the Dark Vengeance guys.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Apparently I posted in the wrong thread so I'll try again here.

So I played DE right back when they got new models, and I am very curious if what I own constitutes a reasonable army now. I assume that since my only HQs were Baron Sathonyx and a Haemonculus that I'll need something new there, but otherwise I have the following:
4x Raiders
3x Ravagers
3x Venoms
20 kabalite warriors
10 kabalite trueborn
10 wyches
20 hellions
6 jetbikes
10 scourges
1 Razorwing

I'm gonna guess I have entirely too few troops but someone here can surely tell me.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Hixson posted:

I used army painter matte on one of my eldar vehicles and it frosted the canopy. I'll see if I can get a pic

E:

I always mask my canopies because I am always afraid of this happening even though I always prep my canopies.

For those who don't know the scale modeling technique, dipping your clear parts in floor polish like Future or Klear, dabbing off the excess, and letting them dry for 24 hours helps protect the clear parts from frosting, as well as makes them really clear.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Is it known when/if the Bigmarines are getting new kits?

I laughed when I first saw the pics, rolled my eyes when I first saw the fluff, and sneered haughtily when I opened the box and first saw the sprues.

Now less than a week later I've painted up a squad and character, and can't remember the last time I enjoyed hitting the brushes that much. Psyched to try them out this Sat.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 22, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I won't use any of the Army Painter sprays at all anymore. I've used both the black primer and white, and both have come out fuzzy. I just don't trust their product.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

I always mask my canopies because I am always afraid of this happening even though I always prep my canopies.

For those who don't know the scale modeling technique, dipping your clear parts in floor polish like Future or Klear, dabbing off the excess, and letting them dry for 24 hours helps protect the clear parts from frosting, as well as makes them really clear.

I'm wondering if gloss varnishing them after the fact would fix the frosting, same as when the varnish frosts on minis.

BeigeJacket posted:

Is it known when/if the Bigmarines are getting new kits?

I laughed when I first saw the pics, rolled my eyes when I first saw the fluff, and sneered haughtily when I opened the box and first saw the sprues.

Now less than a week later I've painted up a squad and character, and can't remember the last time I enjoyed hitting the brushes that much. Psyched to try them out this Sat.

I guarantee they'll be getting new kits, when exactly that is we just don't know. Primaris and Death Guard are pretty much definitely the next two 40k releases though.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I won't use any of the Army Painter sprays at all anymore. I've used both the black primer and white, and both have come out fuzzy. I just don't trust their product.

You need to use them exactly as it instructs you to on the can, and only in decent weather conditions. It sucks but their colors are great. You need to prime them beforehand though; their paints chip like crazy if you don't, even with varnish.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SRM posted:

I'm wondering if gloss varnishing them after the fact would fix the frosting, same as when the varnish frosts on minis.

You can't make a canopy re-translucent by adding more layers on top of it. Once the light is blocked it's blocked. Trust me, I've hosed up a couple of gunpla kits by doing this.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Beerdeer posted:

I haven't had the chance to play yet, but every battle report I've watched just wind up with a huge pile of melee by turn 2 no matter what kind of armies are used. Is this a problem people have run into? Is melee the winner over shooting this round?

I've had three games and that isn't my experience so far. Then again I'm playing Tau.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I think I'm finally back into the painting groove.

It's unbelievably liberating to just paint whatever model I want, whatever loadout I want, instead of what I need for my lists, I should have done this years ago instead of looking at kits and thinking "well, it looks awesome but it's dogshit on the table, no sale."

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sykic posted:

It's unbelievably liberating to just paint whatever model I want, whatever loadout I want, instead of what I need for my lists, I should have done this years ago instead of looking at kits and thinking "well, it looks awesome but it's dogshit on the table, no sale."

Uh, yeah, i'd definitely say you're back in the groove. That thing is gorgeous!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I absolutely adore the highlighting on that purple.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

So I played DE right back when they got new models, and I am very curious if what I own constitutes a reasonable army now. I assume that since my only HQs were Baron Sathonyx and a Haemonculus that I'll need something new there, but otherwise I have the following:
4x Raiders
3x Ravagers
3x Venoms
20 kabalite warriors
10 kabalite trueborn
10 wyches
20 hellions
6 jetbikes
10 scourges
1 Razorwing

I'm gonna guess I have entirely too few troops but someone here can surely tell me.
What is probably going to be the most common Detachment/FOC, the Battalion, has three compulsory troops and two compulsory HQs. You've got enough Warriors and Wyches to cover that. Alternatively, you can run a Fast Attack-focused detachment with three to six FA choices. There are a bunch of different FOCs now so it's pretty easy to pick one that fits your army.

More wizard van Dark Eldar, please. :pcgaming:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

You need to use them exactly as it instructs you to on the can, and only in decent weather conditions. It sucks but their colors are great. You need to prime them beforehand though; their paints chip like crazy if you don't, even with varnish.
Yeah, but at that point, you're better off buying a cheap airbrush setup and a couple of bottles of the color you want, rather than spending $15+ per can.

In my experience, their sprays chip like crazy (and just plain rub off while holding the model,) go on too thick (Wolf Grey,) are too smooth to allow you to paint over them (Desert Yellow,) and I had a can spontaneously explode for no discernible reason (Desert Yellow.) Thank God it was in a box with my other AP sprays, or it could have been tragic in a number of ways.

I spent a lot of money on those sprays (and more that I just didn't bother using) and won't be doing so again, no matter how convenient it's supposed to be. After stripping 100+ Steel Legion, I sprayed them with AP just to find out that my subsequent paint layers wouldn't adhere to the base layer - I had to strip them all again. :mad:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 22, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sykic posted:

Normally I don't like the way green and purple look together, but when you're this judicious with the green it looks really good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

theironjef posted:

4x Raiders
3x Ravagers
3x Venoms
20 kabalite warriors
10 kabalite trueborn
10 wyches
20 hellions
6 jetbikes
10 scourges
1 Razorwing

Even without HQ or Upgrades this is totally at the size of a full army. So just grab an Archon or whatever and get to raiding! :getin:

+++ Spooky Boyz (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [112 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [112 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ Troops +

Kabalite Warriors [5 PL, 70pts]
. . 9x Kabalite Warrior
. . Sybarite: Splinter Rifle

Kabalite Warriors [5 PL, 70pts]
. . 9x Kabalite Warrior
. . Sybarite: Splinter Rifle

Wyches [6 PL, 90pts]
. . Hekatrix: Hekatarii blade, Splinter pistol
. . 9x Wych

+ Elites +

Kabalite Trueborn [8 PL, 110pts]
. . Dracon: Splinter Rifle
. . 9x Kabalite Trueborn

+ Fast Attack +

Reavers [10 PL, 180pts]: Arena Champion, 5x Reaver

Scourges [10 PL, 140pts]
. . 9x Scourge
. . Solarite: Shardcarbine

+ Heavy Support +

Ravager [8 PL, 155pts]: Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance

+ Flyer +

Razorwing Jetfighter [8 PL, 175pts]: 2 Disintegrator Cannons, Twin splinter rifle

+ Dedicated Transport +

Raider [6 PL, 115pts]: Dark Lance

Venom [4 PL, 80pts]: Splinter Cannon, Twin splinter rifle

Created with BattleScribe

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sykic posted:

As someone who is also painting up a purple BA successor, :hf:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Something fishy is up with gw webstore. Windriders have been moved from fast attack to troops. I am not terribly familiar with eldar. But I am trying to put together an army off of the get started box for my son, and realized based on battlescribe that I need a troop. And the troop choices in bscribe are not matched up to the gw store.

What troop should I get to make the eldar start collecting box playable as a patrol?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

Something fishy is up with gw webstore. Windriders have been moved from fast attack to troops. I am not terribly familiar with eldar. But I am trying to put together an army off of the get started box for my son, and realized based on battlescribe that I need a troop. And the troop choices in bscribe are not matched up to the gw store.

What troop should I get to make the eldar start collecting box playable as a patrol?

Pretty much Guardians at this point.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

TKIY posted:

Pretty much Guardians at this point.

So windriders are not troops? Cause he would love an all jetbike army. Was hoping bscribe got it wrong

What is the difference between Guardians and Black Guardians? Bscribe does not have either of those. It has guardian defenders, and storm guardians

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 22, 2017

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I cant decide what sort of retinue to run with Coteaz? Psykers, close combat, plasma guns?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

So windriders are not troops? Cause he would love an all jetbike army. Was hoping bscribe got it wrong

What is the difference between Guardians and Black Guardians? Bscribe does not have either of those. It has guardian defenders, and storm guardians

Do you have Index Xenos 1 or not? This is all explained in there.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

TKIY posted:

Do you have Index Xenos 1 or not? This is all explained in there.

Not yet. Was just going to bscribe for the build until the real codex came out. Worked fine for Tau. Just the eldar that are not matching up to webstore vs bscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

chutche2 posted:

Good news, the web army list builder now has imperial guard.

That's pretty cute.