Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who came out the best from this show?
This poll is closed.
Roman Reigns 1 1.15%
Braun Strowman 32 36.78%
Samoa Joe 17 19.54%
Big Cass 7 8.05%
Clonfroggio you loving moron. Jesus Christ. 30 34.48%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wazzu posted:

Ellsworth taking a bump from a ladder in the ring to a table on the outside would have been an awesome part of that match and cool. Carmella winning by herself while Ellsworth cheers her on from a stretcher would have been awesome.

Correct that would have been an awesome ending. Karma for Ellsworth for screwing Dean and heat to Carmella for taking short cuts a la A.J. But of course they did the dumbest thing posible and everyone hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Basically why has Becky not torn Ellsworth's arm off yet is my question.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Basically why has Becky not torn Ellsworth's arm off yet is my question.

It's the Dis-arm-her, and Becky respects her puns.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also as others have noted, it would be one thing if they did this on like the 3rd or 4th Women's MITB ladder match, but they did it on the very first one ever.

I have to figure the idea was to build up what an important thing it was to have the match and then get heat by having Carmella win it in the shittiest way, but it was wrong for the first ever Women's MITB ladder match and made the entire division look terrible.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At least now expectations couldn't possibly be lower for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th womens MITB matches

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the first womens texas death match will be won by stephanie with the fingerpoke of doom

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

DoctorGonzo posted:

just like letting a idiot loser geek retrieve the briefcase. im glad Lawler and other people are making GBS threads on the thing it was dumb and tna esque. Like people said the correct thing would have been Ellsworth trying to cheat, the girls beating the crap out of him and Carmella retrieving the MITB. But this is the wwe we are talking about.

if the heel didnt act correctly and it made you mad thats a good thing its kinda how wrestling is supposed to work but taking the case and redoing the match is unfair to carmella and is gonna kill the momentum of whoever ends up with it

rare Magic card l00k posted:

it also ruins a once in a year event by having the reward for the match be an opportunity so rare and valuable that you can get it purely by existing

well yeah this too

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

if the heel didnt act correctly and it made you mad thats a good thing its kinda how wrestling is supposed to work but taking the case and redoing the match is unfair to carmella and is gonna kill the momentum of whoever ends up with it

well yeah this too

its one thing to be mad at the dramatic part and is another thing to be mad st the stupid booking desicion. im also mad that they are cowards and are going to do another match because everyone hated the drat finish in the first place

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

it also ruins a once in a year event by having the reward for the match be an opportunity so rare and valuable that you can get it purely by existing

To be fair, the briefcase allows you to start a match after the champion has already been in a match and/or has been beaten up by you with the case and other foreign objects. But yeah, it's not the biggest deal in the world with Lana just getting a freebie. She should've been in the ladder match and either Naomi took a nap or faced one of the other women who weren't going to win. I dunno, Natalya or Tamina or whatever.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

The Fingerpoke of Doom made people mad but it sure as hell wasn't a good booking decision.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They need to have a MITB cash-in in like a grocery store.

Champion's picking some stuff up for dinner and here comes Mr. Money in the Bank with a ref and a timekeeper.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
You can get some easy heat by kicking a puppy in the ribs. Make Big Cass's heel gimmick kicking dogs. Easy heat, no problems there!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

The Fingerpoke of Doom made people mad but it sure as hell wasn't a good booking decision.

Same for Goldberg's streak and title reign ending because of a Taser

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

DoctorGonzo posted:

yeah, that James Ellsworth is a woman with heat-

If a woman has two fists she's got a fighting chance

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No you see this is another meta angle where they book poo poo and next week they fix that poo poo so they where right at the end

#womensrevolution #maeoungclassic #hhhisbetterthanshawn

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Minidust posted:

All that talk about MITB rules and precedents, and the resolution was just "strip the case because Twitter is mad" or w/e, yea WWE loves the fans we get it :jerkbag:

Part of me suggests that a better punishment for Carmella would be forcing her to defend the MitB briefcase in every fight she has until she cashes in, then run her through a guantlet of the SD women's division and let it end up on someone else. She gets punished, and someone more deserving gets the briefcase. Or she can build some credit by managing to defend the briefcase and successfully cash in.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Julio Cruz posted:

well carmella cut a pretty good promo on a pretty hot crowd this week and it didnt hurt anyone else cause they were legitimately robbed and now have a great motivation to do some wrestling so it kinda seems like good booking to me

Kuroyama posted:

Part of me suggests that a better punishment for Carmella would be forcing her to defend the MitB briefcase in every fight she has until she cashes in, then run her through a guantlet of the SD women's division and let it end up on someone else. She gets punished, and someone more deserving gets the briefcase. Or she can build some credit by managing to defend the briefcase and successfully cash in.

this is exactly what they should have done

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

it was a dumb decision but two dumbs don't make a smart it just serves to annoy everyone

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Far be it from me to defend WWE's generally lovely, inconsistent writing, but I think it's worth noting that when Lana came to the ring and demanded a title shot she basically got laughed out of there. She only got a shot once Naomi demanded the match.

Which isn't to say that they haven't been booking "wrestler gets title shot by getting in the champion's face rather than for any thing they did to actually deserve it" for like 20 years now (look how many people have won titles in their debuts). That said, if they have as little regard for Lana as her booking would suggest they definitely shouldn't have had her in a title match. Make it non-title if she's just a ham 'n egger and you want Naomi to kick out of her finisher super hard and all that.

Wazzu posted:

They shot themselves in the drat foot with talk of 'no rules'. THE LADDER MATCH HAS RULES.

The competitor who takes down the briefcase wins the match. A non-competitor took it down, the win was invalid. IS THAT SO loving HARD TO SAY?!?!?!

Or, you know, just don't book a bad finish that everyone will hate? It wasn't good heat, it's bad heat, and they did actually know people would loving hate it and be annoyed at them.

They joke sometimes at the Rumble that the "both feet need to touch" rule is The Shawn Michaels Rule. It would be funny/fun to make something like that official for this case. Before the match next week, Bryan and Shane come out and announce that they've held a meeting with the WWE rules committee and they've established The Ellsworth Rule, which states the object must be retrieved by an active competitor in the match. Makes the GM and Commish look like they're actually doing something, gives commentators something else to talk about in ladder matches for the rest of eternity and doesn't actually do much to limit how much cheating a heel can get away with. Like, the WM 17 TLC match, Rhyno putting Christian on his shoulders and walking him up the ladder would still be perfectly legal. He just can't actually get the briefcase for him or they hang it back up like when the X used to fall down in those stupid matches in TNA.

Plus more heat for Carmella if she and Ellsworth just do something even more despicable, but not violating the Ellsworth Rule, to win the 2nd match.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

James Ellsworth being barred from ringside is the perfect setup for Jane Ellesworth to enter the match as the 6th competitor.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

James Ellsworth being barred from ringside is the perfect setup for Jane Ellesworth to enter the match as the 6th competitor.

And then President Trump can fire her like he did with Santina

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Vaguido posted:

You can get some easy heat by kicking a puppy in the ribs. Make Big Cass's heel gimmick kicking dogs. Easy heat, no problems there!

And imagine the face pop when THE BIG DOG runs in to save all his little dog friends.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Roman Reigns thing was just constantly being surrounded by real dogs, I think you actually would have to cheer him.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Hell yeah give everyone dogs and they'd all be over.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Look, we don't wanna dilute this. Give some of them cats.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VJeff posted:

Look, we don't wanna dilute this. Give some of them cats.

specifically Ziggler, and only Ziggler

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Agreed, giving cats, the objectively best animal, to Ziggler, will finally get him over.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

VJeff posted:

Agreed, giving cats, the objectively best animal, to Ziggler, will finally get him over.

Release Ziggler, hire Moshow.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

WrasslorMonkey posted:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You gotta give Ziggler the right cat. Let's be honest he needs all the help he can get.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Remember when the Big Boss Man tricked Al Snow into eating his dog?

Hell yeah!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kuroyama posted:

This might have accidentally gotten her over, so was never considered

projecthalaxy posted:

Jerry Lawler, known fan of cheap heat and heel antics, had this take on the Women's MITB:

Jerry "PUPPPIEEEEES" Lawler joining the twitter outrage machine is absolutely magnificent

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 22, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I love that they filmed this at a Motel 6

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bring back Kennel from Hell as Reign's signature match.

Make it a PPV.

If you win the match, for the next year you own all rights to the name THE BIG DOG.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Roman should fight an actual large dog.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

This might have accidentally gotten her over, so was never considered

A heel getting the "plucky underdog goes up against powerful GM" storyline is not going to get them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

this isn't even like 'oh, well you could get a title match with <any champion> by asking for one' in a division with an actual lot of theorhetical contenders

so much of the division was competing for a shot at the title that a person in her first ever wrestling match became #1 contender by not being in the match for a title shot

this is like if every single person on the roster was in the royal rumble, so the person challenging for the wwe title was blartz snuffman

Push blartz snuffman

• Locked thread