Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gearhulk also costs 6

That doesn't really matter when you are talking about a control finisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Grisselbrand ain't what it used to be....

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well that card is sweet for EDH at least

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mcmagic posted:

So it's basically a 5/4 for 2 with Echo... Is this good? I have no idea.

It's like a bigger, more expensive totem golem. Though, totem golem is much less of a hit to your t3 play.

This is also significantly worse when drawn late.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

When you think they can't make their flavor text any more boring...

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Elyv posted:

turns out grixis decks do, in fact, run red

although I will agree that tarmogoyf is generally a better thing to bring back than snapcaster

Snap is still a legit target considering its effect is an etb, depending on the circumstances.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

So it's basically a 5/4 for 2 with Echo... Is this good? I have no idea.

I'm leaning towards "not good" in Constructed. If you're playing it on turn 2 you have a basically dead turn 3 (and it's just horrible if your opponent has a cheap answer for it), while if you're playing it later it's not exactly standing out from other big fatties. Notably it's worse than echo because even if it dies immediately you still have the dead turn.

Gonna be an absolute beating on turn 2 in Limited though, while still being relevant later on.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

I'm leaning towards "not good" in Constructed. If you're playing it on turn 2 you have a basically dead turn 3 (and it's just horrible if your opponent has a cheap answer for it), while if you're playing it later it's not exactly standing out from other big fatties. Notably it's worse than echo because even if it dies immediately you still have the dead turn.

Gonna be an absolute beating on turn 2 in Limited though, while still being relevant later on.

Just wait til T8 in constructed and play all 4 of them in a single turn.

(don't actually do that)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can we just move onto Pirates already. I feel like that set is going to be more fun/interesting.

I just don't give a poo poo about HoD.....(I might not care, but others do)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can we just move onto Pirates already. I feel like that set is going to be more fun/interesting.

I just don't give a poo poo about HoD.....(I might not care, but others do)

WotC's brilliant marketing tactic pays off!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Except for some interesting sideboard cards this set is oath levels of forgettable.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I like the noncreature spells.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

Except for some interesting sideboard cards this set is oath levels of forgettable.

I also evaluate sets less than 1/3 of the way in

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Wrong on 2 counts

Oath was good

This set also seems good

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Now this, I like. Feels good in 2tix Red

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

Wrong on 2 counts

Oath was good

This set also seems good

oath was a bad set with some good cards, all but one of which had diamonds in their mana cost

---

code:
"Rebuilding Khenra"
1G
Creature - Jackal Wizard
When this creature enters the battlefield, you may give target creature +X/+X until end of turn, where X is Rebuilding Khenra's power.

Eternalize 4GG
2/2

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

evilweasel posted:

4/4s with abilities/etb effects.

With how many people keep acting like they're just big normal zombies, I think they're willfully ignoring that part.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The hasty token is nice, but I'm really not impressed with these "hey check out this cool synergy with Eternalize!!" abilities they've put on these cards. Next to a Cartouche of Zeal or an Ahn-Crop Crasher this seems kinda lame.

Edit: On the other hand, Rebuilding Khenra's sweet.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Elyv posted:

code:
"Rebuilding Khenra"
1G
Creature - Jackal Wizard
When this creature enters the battlefield,
you may give target creature +X/+X until end of turn,
where X is Rebuilding Khenra's power.

Eternalize 4GG
2/2

Finally the upgraded Yeva's Forcemage we were all waiting for.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Siivola posted:

The hasty token is nice, but I'm really not impressed with these "hey check out this cool synergy with Eternalize!!" abilities they've put on these cards. Next to a Cartouche of Zeal or an Ahn-Crop Crasher this seems kinda lame.

Edit: On the other hand, Rebuilding Khenra's sweet.

You play all the can't block effects.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

sit on my Facebook posted:

Wrong on 2 counts

Oath was good

This set also seems good

Nah, he's right.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I love this, though bear in mind I have no intention of paying his mana cost. No-mana instant speed tutoring has to be good.

This seems like a really good RDW card, can remain relevant late if you have instant-speed tricks to buff it and take a blocker out of the equation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

oath was a bad set with some good cards, all but one of which had diamonds in their mana cost

The oaths themselves were cool. Dark dwellers is cool. Reckless Bushwacker is cool. Kalitas is strong. Chandra's okay and different. Linvala was fine. Nissa was format defining. Advocate's a standard mainstay. And then there's Reflector mage.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Is Rhonas throwing its head in this art? Because if so that is loving rad.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's his staff.

Edit: I keep ruining people's rad as poo poo interpretations of things. :negative:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oh hey cool, a card made for me. there are many cards like it, but this one is mine

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I love this, though bear in mind I have no intention of paying his mana cost. No-mana instant speed tutoring has to be good.

I really hate that sacrifice creature effects all switched over to "another creature". This would have been a lot sweeter if you could sacrifice it in response to the inevitable removal.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Siivola posted:

That's his staff.

Edit: I keep ruining people's rad as poo poo interpretations of things. :negative:

Magic players are idiots and need to be corrected at all times.

one day I'll pull the trigger the next time I stuff a gun in my mouth and all will be well again

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
But the staff in his card art doesn't have a snake head?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

He turns his generic staff into a giant snake with M-A-G-I-C. jfc

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

You remember how Moses spoke to Ramses in The Ten Commandments or in The Prince of Egypt and threw his staff to the ground and it turned into a snake?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
4RR for a 4/4 Haste that forces something smaller to not block is pretty strong.

That being the back half of a reasonable guy is even better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fine, but MY interpretation is cooler :colbert:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, this is going to be rad as hell in Kaalia.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He cast a spell to transform it. You can see the original shape outlined in green magic stuff around the snake.

Star Man posted:

one day I'll pull the trigger the next time I stuff a gun in my mouth and all will be well again
Hey, uh, have you considered taking a break from this hobby? I'm honestly getting a bit worried for you. :ohdear:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

On an unrelated note, I want to say that I dislike how demons are giant dudes with an eeeeevil ability, instead of giant dudes who could potentially have a drawback. It doesn't even need to be something like Lord of the Pit, I just want there to be scenarios where your deal with the devil backfires. Don't want to draw a card and lose a life whenever something dies because you're already at 1? Well, maybe you shouldn't have cast that Kothophed. Can't cast your demon of dark schemes because it wipes the board? Oh I'm sorry. Cards like Griselbrand, Herald of Anguish, and this new dude I'm not even going to try to spell annoy me a bit (obviously, Griselbrand is annoying for other reasons too)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Related issue: I think they have too many demons (and dragons) in general. Makes them feel less special, and makes the planes less distinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Sickening posted:

hey man if you played a lot of Modern when it came out Oath was anything but forgettable.