Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm only just now in Doma, but this expansion is leagues above HW just for the fact that we're not in snowy wastelands and dealing with catholic elves all the time. Maybe it's just me but the the whole aesthetic of HW was dreary and I didn't care for it.

I've been having a seemingly random issue where the game crashes due to a directX error. Sometimes it effectively brings the computer down as my display never comes back, sometimes it just kills the game. I redownloaded my drivers this morning and after running those and windows update (which found a driver for my card?) the game seemingly ran normal again. It's weird because I played for a few hours Tuesday with 0 issues, but last night and this morning were crash city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Depths posted:

Is it just me or does the rhalgrs reach theme sound oddly familiar?

Definitely because I was humming it as soon as I stepped foot there, unfortunately my brain hasn't coughed up the information about what song it is exactly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Powershell is a fancy command prompt.

Easiest way is to open the Start menu and just type Powershell (or type it into the Cortana search, it's the same thing.) It should find "Windows Powershell", then you can right click that and run as admin. Paste the code in, it takes a second or two and will remove the Xbox app.

Okay, did that. Thank you and hopefully this will be the end of the crashing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

World War Mammories posted:

the stormblood Quest Complete jingle sounds like a section from the ending of the Internationale, and it fills me with patriotic fervor to destroy the hated capitalist imperialists

Not empty quoting :ussr:

Ouhei posted:

I'm only just now in Doma, but this expansion is leagues above HW just for the fact that we're not in snowy wastelands and dealing with catholic elves all the time. Maybe it's just me but the the whole aesthetic of HW was dreary and I didn't care for it.

I've been having a seemingly random issue where the game crashes due to a directX error. Sometimes it effectively brings the computer down as my display never comes back, sometimes it just kills the game. I redownloaded my drivers this morning and after running those and windows update (which found a driver for my card?) the game seemingly ran normal again. It's weird because I played for a few hours Tuesday with 0 issues, but last night and this morning were crash city.

I'll never get this because Heavensward had only one zone with any snow in it. And the Ala Mhigo zones are just as harsh of environs as, say, Dravanian Forelands or Churning Mists.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Ouhei posted:

A dreary aesthetic is probably as spot on as it gets for a Catholicism expansion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal posted:

Okay, did that. Thank you and hopefully this will be the end of the crashing.

Nope. Didn't fix it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

unseenlibrarian posted:

Nah, they remember the echo earlier than that, just...really obliquely. There's some dialogue right before the first primal fight that's like "Well, we can't go fight it. You know why." because the folks with you don't have the echo and would get tempered.

I just did this last night and I laughed real hard when Alisaie goes

Oh yeah you probably have few friends conveniently in the area who can help you with the fight or something i dunno ask them for help I guess

I love the localization team

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Nope. Didn't fix it.

Next thing I'd check is if Catalyst has any built in streaming features, or gameplay recording. Those would be overlaying the game even if you don't see them normally.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Meldonox posted:

A dreary aesthetic is probably as spot on as it gets for a Catholicism expansion.

We're going to commission some of the most extravagant art and architecture the world has ever seen but nobody's allowed to be happy!!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Next thing I'd check is if Catalyst has any built in streaming features, or gameplay recording. Those would be overlaying the game even if you don't see them normally.

Could Steam also be doing something with it? I downloaded and run the trial through Steam.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

Definitely because I was humming it as soon as I stepped foot there, unfortunately my brain hasn't coughed up the information about what song it is exactly.

Note Block posted:

I haven't been there since the story forced me to Doma but the song that played per Doma was almost exactly America the Beautiful but with a slightly slowed tempo. I started singing the chorus of the song and the syllables outright matched as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Could Steam also be doing something with it? I downloaded and run the trial through Steam.

Oh yeah I forgot about Steam.

Yeah try turning off Steam overlay too.

FF14 has had this issue for a few years, it comes and goes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

That tower challenge don't gently caress around. Had to tap out after 40 minutes of trying. I will say I am both impressed and totally jealous of everyone who pulled it off.

tower challenge?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about Steam.

Yeah try turning off Steam overlay too.

FF14 has had this issue for a few years, it comes and goes.

Fingers crossed.

I'm enjoying the game okay when it's not crashing every five to twenty minutes. A punishingly slow start for an MMO veteran, but I knew that going in from my friend who's been badgering me to play.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every time I start to whistle one of the field themes in SB it segues seamlessly into the song "alone" from the bio lab in Saga Frontier.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Most people probably have already noticed but the ala mhigan earrings give extra 30% xp for crafters and gatherers as well!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

tower challenge?

there are various sightseeing spots in Kugane that require long and elaborate jumping sequences to reach

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

a kitten posted:

It's a variation on the expansion's theme that gets used all over the drat place. Most blatantly is the scene early on with Zenos walking to the throne room with the big military welcome and the singing and stuff. It maybe sounds familiar because it's full of expressions that are all over every single part of Stormblood (this includes stuff like the quest complete jingle). This is a guess - it might also be reminiscent of music not from FF14, I don't know.

edit: The Yanxia day theme has this one phrase in it that reminds me of the FF4 music in Troia and it kills me because FF4 is my most played/favorite mainline FF.

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 22, 2017

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm pretty sure the recurring jingle is the Garlean national anthem.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Spoilers for the main scenario, don't look if you haven't completed it unless you don't care

I thought it was the Garlean anthem too, but the ending doesn't make a lick of sense if it is. They're all on the roof of Ala Mhigo singing it and poo poo, unless I really misread that scene. It caught me more than a little off guard.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Renegret posted:

I just did this last night and I laughed real hard when Alisaie goes

Oh yeah you probably have few friends conveniently in the area who can help you with the fight or something i dunno ask them for help I guess

I love the localization team

They've been lampshading that more and more since ARR. By the time we were at the Warring Triad the npcs started just saying, "Go grab your adventurer friends and murder this God, thanks Godkiller"

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alakaiser posted:

Spoilers for the main scenario, don't look if you haven't completed it unless you don't care

I thought it was the Garlean anthem too, but the ending doesn't make a lick of sense if it is. They're all on the roof of Ala Mhigo singing it and poo poo, unless I really misread that scene. It caught me more than a little off guard.

I think it's a Soviet Russia, post Soviet Russia kind of thing. The melody was kept but the words were changed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nuru posted:

They've been lampshading that more and more since ARR. By the time we were at the Warring Triad the npcs started just saying, "Go grab your adventurer friends and murder this God, thanks Godkiller"

I sure beats the hell out of

hey WoL you did it, you beat Titan all by yourself. With no help. Just you, and you alone defeated Titan. Yup.

I do remember they acknowledge it for Crystal Tower too but that was a while ago.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is Black Mage as fun as it looks in Stormblood?

I ask because I just watched a video in which I'm pretty sure I saw a Black Mage Triplecast Flare-Foul-Flare and it looked amazing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Renegret posted:

I sure beats the hell out of

hey WoL you did it, you beat Titan all by yourself. With no help. Just you, and you alone defeated Titan. Yup.

I do remember they acknowledge it for Crystal Tower too but that was a while ago.

Anonymous god killer adventurer friends who have no presence in the story aside from occasional comments is at least as jarring as just pretending the WoL does it all solo. The WoD being a group did suggest that the WoL could be a group too though; it's just weird since the adventuring group idea actually does seem to have been a part of 1.0 (or at least the Bahamut video), while it's been downgraded to throwaway references here.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Black Stones posted:

Follow up question to what I was asking before. So my tracking information says my package departed and the arrived right back in Miami and I've abandoned all hope of receiving this anytime soon. I assume my account can only have 1 copy of the game on it. So if I bought a standard digital when my CE comes I couldn't register that for the bonus items? I would have to buy digital CE and that comes with all the in game items the physical CE does? Just wanna make sure if I decide to do something drastic.

lol that this happens for literally every single game release

idk why people buy physical copies of games, especially via mail order, unless they're prepared to wait for up to a week after the game is actually out

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sinteres posted:

Anonymous god killer adventurer friends who have no presence in the story aside from occasional comments is at least as jarring as just pretending the WoL does it all solo. The WoD being a group did suggest that the WoL could be a group too though; it's just weird since the adventuring group idea actually does seem to have been a part of 1.0 (or at least the Bahamut video), while it's been downgraded to throwaway references here.

yeah but it's really funny

which is important

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Didn't 1.0 also let DoL classes enter combat trials?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sinteres posted:

They're not god killers. You kill the god, they handle the adds.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
And besides, who here hasn't carried a group before?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

Didn't 1.0 also let DoL classes enter combat trials?

Technically they would bypass the trial via "parley", as I recall. Which was really weird.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alakaiser posted:

My interpretation was that it was originally the Ala Mhigan anthem but the Garleans co-opted it when they took over because that is the sort of poo poo conquering empires do to undermine an occupied nation. Then at the end they changed the lyrics again to celebrate the liberation.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thundarr posted:

My interpretation was that it was originally the Ala Mhigan anthem but the Garleans co-opted it when they took over because that is the sort of poo poo conquering empires do to undermine an occupied nation. Then at the end they changed the lyrics again to celebrate the liberation.

This is what I thought too. Ala Mhigo is now a free nation, so it's people can now sing THEIR anthem, and not the bastardized occupiers one.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

That makes perfect sense and is probably correct! Neat. Makes the whole thing even cooler.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I think it would be rad if you could pick three people on your friends list to occasionally appear in cutscenes with you, but that would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it would be rad if you could pick three people on your friends list to occasionally appear in cutscenes with you, but that would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

That would be really great.

Or, hell, just let the player customize "party members" like you can customize retainers, maybe? If it's too much trouble to bring in your friends, just have cutscene party members that show up if there's nobody in your party to show up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You gotta remember that most of the Ala Mhigans fighting have never known a free Ala Mhigo.

But regardless it's textbook national anthem especially after a war. Most war anthems are marches.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The SB story can be summarized as a very angry, yet Scholarly, Lalafell constantly punching his other palm.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Harrow posted:

That would be really great.

Or, hell, just let the player customize "party members" like you can customize retainers, maybe? If it's too much trouble to bring in your friends, just have cutscene party members that show up if there's nobody in your party to show up.

I think that's where they might be going with the adventurer squadron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Come to think of it didn't SB promise dungeons with your adventurer squad?

I should probably get mine to 50.