Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

oh god, me too

guess i'm not updating ever then :yikes:

It also fuced up my nuclear, since i use circuit to control the inserters that feeds the reactors. :(

Rip game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Picer posted:

It also fuced up my nuclear, since i use circuit to control the inserters that feeds the reactors. :(

Rip game.

You can use decider combinators to replicate the old functionality: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=47556&p=290769#p290769

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Don't keep the repair packs on your character when driving, and especially when expecting combat. Put them in the inventory of the vehicle and only take them out when you're ready.

Also put spare ammo in the inventory, the vehicle will automatically reload, unlike fuel.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

REDjackeT posted:

super fart shooter posted:

I used to use big dumb bloated balancers in my loading/unloading, but they usually have a huge footprint and often require a ton of splitters and undergrounds. I recently started using the circuit loader/unloaders in this video and I've never looked back, I highly recommend them. I'm not good at circuits at all and I never would have thought of this stuff on my own, but they're actually pretty simple in operation, and you can just copy the blueprints from the description if you don't want to think about it at all. Basically, the idea is that they force the chests to load and unload at the same rate, which means all the chest<->train stack inserters always work at full time, instead of loading or unloading unevenly. It can make a pretty big difference, and causes your trains to get in and out of the station much faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozfUiXlN78

Here is the BP string for .15 since the one linked is for .14
https://pastebin.com/C3b2N2YH

The unload will get a bit uneven if you use red belts and have the full stack bonus on the fast arms, but not by much from what I tested in 5 minutes.

If you were using this or something like this for loading/unloading, you can reverse the loader (which uses a math combiner) to have it unload and set the arms to ">= 1" (or I guess "> 0") and it seems to work just fine with the new inserter behavior.

Here's a BP
https://pastebin.com/CkyhU3b1

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 22, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man this game loving rules. I'm also glad I've read this thread pretty extensively before I started playing. You guys have come up with a lot of really good designs and a lot of them fit well with my lazy, slack-rear end, sub-optimal style of playing these kinds of games.

So far I've basically been building primarily to feed the tech tree. I got a good red science pack chain going until I had all the red-only techs researched, now I'm knocking out all the red/green-only techs. After that I think I'm gonna tear down my entire factory except the power plant and optimize everything for red/green/blue and work in refineries and poo poo. I also keep a little side operation of assemblers to manually configure and feed to produce whatever small odds and ends that I need that isn't involved with feeding the labs. I also really like that things like basic belts/inserters are required for green science so when I need either of those I just rob those belts a little for them.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 22, 2017

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Don't tear down. Build in a new spot. You will want your original factory to keep producing until it's replaced.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

necrotic posted:

Don't tear down. Build in a new spot. You will want your original factory to keep producing until it's replaced.

Well, I may not tear down completely. I know I'm gonna have to reconfigure my smelting operation to accommodate the larger electric furnaces, so that's a definite project there. Also my green science isn't keeping up very well. In truth I needed another assembler pumping out green but didn't have the room so I want to adjust that area some too. Trouble is the area that those green science pack assemblers are in is packed pretty much nut-to-butt, so rearranging that area isn't gonna be possible with a couple tweaks here and there. I plan on starting with the smelting operations and then seeing what I can do about the green pack assemblers. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to tear out a lot to correct the shortfall in green science packs though. If that's the case it will more or less be a total tear-down.

We'll see though. Either way I'm enjoying the hell out of this poo poo. Even if I do end up doing an extensive tear-down and rebuild that doesn't bother me. At least in this game doing that isn't really all that bad. It's way worse in something like Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld to reconfigure an entire production chain. Compared to that, even ripping up what I've got so far and rebuilding will be a total breeze. Besides, I've got a whole bunch of other things like medium/large power poles that will really help clean up my layout.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

REDjackeT posted:

If you were using this or something like this for loading/unloading, you can reverse the loader (which uses a math combiner) to have it unload and set the arms to ">= 1" (or I guess "> 0") and it seems to work just fine with the new inserter behavior.

Here's a BP
https://pastebin.com/CkyhU3b1

Yeah, I was trying this earlier, seems like it works. Although, I went with >-1, because I think that only disables them when they drop below the average chest load? It seems to me like >0 might make them all freeze up if all the chests had the exact same contents, I dunno, I might be wrong about that

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

Well, I may not tear down completely. I know I'm gonna have to reconfigure my smelting operation to accommodate the larger electric furnaces, so that's a definite project there.

Or just build a brand new smelter outpost somewhere and train ore to it, then disassemble your current smelter and import the plates instead. Easier to scale the next time and you get to play with trains.

edit: the solution to everything is "build a specialized outpost and haul the products where you need them"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Elos posted:

Or just build a brand new smelter outpost somewhere and train ore to it, then disassemble your current smelter and import the plates instead. Easier to scale the next time and you get to play with trains.

edit: the solution to everything is "build a specialized outpost and haul the products where you need them"

B-b-b-but I still got a ton of iron/copper right near my site and switching to electric will cut back the pollution and (more importantly) reduce my need for coal to get belted all over the place.

My starting area has everything right nearby in abundance except oil and I haven't used that stuff up yet. That's why I wanna convert existing facilities to newer stuff and be able to eliminate things like the coal consumption of those smelters so that the nearby coal field can serve the boilers almost exclusively. Once the nearby iron and copper is depleted you bet your sweet rear end I'm gonna move that stuff to new deposits and gently caress with trains. Trains are gonna be awesome to play with.

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf
You designed everything for a laughably small scale your first time around. Don't stumble into progress. Take cargo train sized leaps.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Eh I just generated a world and this is what I got. Plopped down like a dozen furnaces for iron and a handful for copper and went from there. Got enough built up to keep eight labs full of red science and almost always full of green (I occasionally see a lab or two go all-red when I've got alt on). I've seen designs ITT feeding about that many labs. I just haven't hit blue yet.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Actually I think changing from steel fruncases to electric when you're still using coal in your power plant is more wasteful since boilers are only 50% efficient. So you end up using more coal and maybe even polluting more.

I recommend going for the blue science and getting construction robots before doing any big remodels of the factory, blueprints and bots make it so much easier and faster. Copy-pasting a whole 48 smelter block right next to it when you need some more plates takes only like 4 clicks instead of the two hundred or so if you do it by hand.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
Twinsen posted that the inserter arm circuit behavior will be reverted to how it was and that we're all just rats in a maze.

Elos posted:

Actually I think changing from steel fruncases to electric when you're still using coal in your power plant is more wasteful since boilers are only 50% efficient. So you end up using more coal and maybe even polluting more.

Slam in two efficiency 1's and it's all good. I basically shove those in everything that isn't getting prods. It really helps with keeping down the power draw and pollution.
e; I made 3.7k of them apparently... surely it was all worth it.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 22, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I believe the pollution output for electric smelters and steel smelters are identical if you're using the same fuel and no modules, etc. One you have modules then the math starts to get fun.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

why would you give a crap about pollution and power use :confused:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I feel people are losing track of the goal of the game, which is to build more of everything.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm more fond of not having to shove coal in my furnaces anymore than I am anything to do with pollution and power use.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Don't go electric furnaces until you go nuclear imo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Don't go electric furnaces until you go nuclear imo.

pretty much

solar works too i guess but solar is for weak minds

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I only build solar panels for my satellites and that's only because you can't roll coal in space :sigh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

rtg powered satellites when

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm more fond of not having to shove coal in my furnaces anymore than I am anything to do with pollution and power use.

More coal into the power plants means less for Coal Liqification and having to actually set up on coal instead of more iron for the iron throne. More power wasted means paying more attention to power gen and less on more chips for the chip gods. More pollution means more bullets into biters which means less steel for the science beakers.

I just wanted to limit how much coal power I'd have taking up space before nuclear got going. And yes, space is unlimited, but I'm playing on v.big/v.freq water and i wanted to keep myself on my starter land mass as much as possible.

I'm happy that my current setup can handle ~30min rockets with no issue and no real expansion done for it. I'll need more greenies to go faster though, maybe reds too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

am i seriously loving up coal liquefaction or is it really like 20 refineries to like 9 heavy/light cracking

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

am i seriously loving up coal liquefaction or is it really like 20 refineries to like 9 heavy/light cracking

That seems to be right? 3 heavy and 6 light for just the coal processing itself. Then another 3 light to cover the heavy to light from the cracking itself?

20 refineries would be 40 heavy/s and 60 light/s, and 3 heavy cracking gives 30 light/s. 40 h/s is ~3 plants (13.333 h/s) and 90 l/s is 9 plants (10 l/s).

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

pfff what is this liquefaction nonsense. wells only, and if you don't have enough oil or your plastic/poison set up isn't sucking up all the coal then you haven't gone big enough.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I found coal liquefaction a good supplement to advanced oil processing just to make sure I had enough heavy oil for lube. A holding tank with wires to hold a bit of heavy oil in reserve to keep the process running while the rest gets pumped away.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

rockopete posted:

pfff what is this liquefaction nonsense. wells only, and if you don't have enough oil or your plastic/poison set up isn't sucking up all the coal then you haven't gone big enough.

Oil pools were in the wrong direction from the iron but there was plenty of coal, so why not? I seem to have just enough to keep up right now and there are some pools outside of my new wall set, so that will be next.

BrainMeats posted:

I found coal liquefaction a good supplement to advanced oil processing just to make sure I had enough heavy oil for lube. A holding tank with wires to hold a bit of heavy oil in reserve to keep the process running while the rest gets pumped away.

I normally try to keep a decent stock (~3-4 tanks) of each just in case demand goes crazy while I'm doing other things and yeah, use wires to keep it even.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I was joking, you do you! But personally I do like to keep coal and oil separate if I can, though I'm glad they put in coal liquefaction as an option and I'm sure I'll need it at some point if I'm playing a more constrained run.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I had the fun of my power getting siphoned off by yellow factories when replacing all my blue, which killed my coal miners and dropped power production until everything stopped. Had to put my coal miners on dedicated power to avoid that in the future. also it was night so i couldn't see poo poo :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

crabrock posted:

I had the fun of my power getting siphoned off by yellow factories when replacing all my blue, which killed my coal miners and dropped power production until everything stopped. Had to put my coal miners on dedicated power to avoid that in the future. also it was night so i couldn't see poo poo :(

i always use burner inserters for my boilers to prevent exactly this scenario

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
How do you keep the burner inserters fed if there's a power loss? I don't think I've used a burner inserter since my first game, so I'm not too familiar with loading approaches.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

necrotic posted:

How do you keep the burner inserters fed if there's a power loss? I don't think I've used a burner inserter since my first game, so I'm not too familiar with loading approaches.

They don't use any electricity at all. They load themselves with any fuel that they can reach. That makes them perfect for feeding boilers -- they pick up some coal from the belt and stuff it into themselves first, then they use the power generated by that to feed the boiler.

They're really slow, and inefficient, but they're great for mitigating the cascading failure scenario caused by insufficient power.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Except my coal mines were electric so that's where the problem started. Wasn't producing enough coal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a couple of separate steam generators that only feed the coal miners. So even if the rest of the factory browns out the coal feed isn't affected.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 22, 2017

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They don't use any electricity at all. They load themselves with any fuel that they can reach. That makes them perfect for feeding boilers -- they pick up some coal from the belt and stuff it into themselves first, then they use the power generated by that to feed the boiler.

They're really slow, and inefficient, but they're great for mitigating the cascading failure scenario caused by insufficient power.

Oh, they load themselves?! I thought you had to have something else feeding them, or manually refuel over time. That makes them way more useful than I thought (at least for boilers).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

I have a couple of separate steam generators that only feed the coal miners. So even if the rest of the factory browns out the coal fees isn't affected.

I just have a couple burner miners feeding the steam boilers, but this sounds better.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

rockopete posted:

I was joking, you do you! But personally I do like to keep coal and oil separate if I can, though I'm glad they put in coal liquefaction as an option and I'm sure I'll need it at some point if I'm playing a more constrained run.

Yeah, that's all I mean. It's nice that I didn't have to hop around in the wrong direction and waste time just for a small bit of oil.

For the coal supply you could also warehouse the coal in to a set of buffer chests that are loaded/unloaded by burner inserters and wire up a speaker to warn you if things are getting low. I'm really glad I started figuring out the circuit stuff.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I keep coal and oil separate by using a dedicated coal liquefaction plant that I bootstrapped with a single barrel of heavy oil.

Coal and water go in, solid fuel, steam, and plastic come out. This powers all my outposts.

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Here are my lovely pics from the party.

http://imgur.com/a/BGNU3