Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think that's almost certainly what's going to happen if a trade goes down, and almost certainly Crowder since Phil Jackson loves him

Too bad Danny is not a smart man.

Prove me wrong Danny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/dubsdynasty/status/877896464646545409

Ty brolic

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahahah

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

This is getting a bit into kicking dead horse but

https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/877700420088455168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I'm enjoying the Knicks dysfunction quite a bit but honestly it's not fair to what is a really good fanbase.

Quick someone find a late 90s Knicks playoff game for Lockback to watch before he starts feeling too sympathetic to NYK

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I don't believe the Celtics will make a move before the draft tonight but I think you'll be able to tell the intentions by their pick

If it's Tatum, they're sticking with him and there's not likely to be much trade drama beyond trying to get rid of a contract for a max

If it's Jackson he's going to be dangled as trade bait for the entirety of free agency and it's going to make me keel over from stress

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Nooo...no. When the music stops plz don't tell me it was all for d rose
https://mobile.twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/877902772754030592

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Someone posted this link a ways back, showing the players with the best winshares at every draft position.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19657372/the-best-picks-every-nba-draft-slot

I knew that Kobe was drafted 13th, but I had no idea that Karl Malone was drafted 13th. And Stockton was 16th the year before. Whoever made those picks deserves to be in the hall of fame. How could 12/15 other teams miss these guys?

I'm old enough to remember those Finals against the Bulls. How did these two guys never win a ring. Boggles the mind.

the best thing about this is the gaping hole where Anthony Bennett goes

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Nooo...no. When the music stops plz don't tell me it was all for d rose
https://mobile.twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/877902772754030592

Watching Popovich magic work on DRose would be pretty awesome though.

bwahaha. SAS is still good for some things.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
when does the madness start?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Lebatard show played a clip of SAS on his radio show the day he found out about Phil wanting to trade KP. I can't find it now but he was just screaming about how he couldn't enjoy his cereal without getting worked up by the knicks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Stephen A.'s broadcaster rating has been upgraded from trash to junk status.

Also I'm Max Kellerman trying to do anything to follow up a take that was that awesome.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

best offseason ever

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Someone posted this link a ways back, showing the players with the best winshares at every draft position.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19657372/the-best-picks-every-nba-draft-slot

I knew that Kobe was drafted 13th, but I had no idea that Karl Malone was drafted 13th. And Stockton was 16th the year before. Whoever made those picks deserves to be in the hall of fame. How could 12/15 other teams miss these guys?

I'm old enough to remember those Finals against the Bulls. How did these two guys never win a ring. Boggles the mind.

TBF Kobe didn't go earlier because he made it clear that he wanted to play for the Lakers hence the trade from the Hornets for Vlade.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lockback posted:

I have no idea what the scouting looked like in the mid-80s but Stockton was a 6'1" unathletic guard who really only had one fantastic year at Gonzaga. Malone came from Louisana Tech and was sorta noteable for getting worse each year in college, his final year stats were not mind-blowing.

I mean, all credit in the world to Utah for picking those guys, but I don't see how either of them would be on the top of draft boards with any scouts. The draft is funny like that.

Why on earth would New York want good, young talent.

Malone dominated a 3 time consensus All-American Wayman Tisdale in the NCAA's. OU had better support players, Louisiana Tech were trash. It was obvious from that he was next-level talent, he was a beast. Kobe, iirc, was an unknown child of huge potential except for some tryouts.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mr. Mambold posted:

Malone dominated a 3 time consensus All-American Wayman Tisdale in the NCAA's. OU had better support players, Louisiana Tech were trash. It was obvious from that he was next-level talent, he was a beast. Kobe, iirc, was an unknown child of huge potential except for some tryouts.

Kobe also came out at a time when GMs were still scared to death of high-schoolers, as they probably should have been

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Portland currently have $140.5m salary on the books for 2017-18. That is $21.5m over the luxury tax and puts them in the highest category of taxpayer $3.75 for every $1 over. So they are currently due to pay TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS* for exactly the same squad that went 41-41 last season and got swept in the first round.

Is anyone going to bite on Allen Crabbe ($74.8m, 4 years) or Evan Turner ($70m, 4 years) packaged with the 20th or 26th pick? Are they even going to have to throw in the 15th pick to move some salary?

*$199.94m to be precise

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I guess the FO and fans are adamant that they won't use picks to shed salary. Good luck with that

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/ESPNCleveland/status/877913478333321216

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

Portland currently have $140.5m salary on the books for 2017-18. That is $21.5m over the luxury tax and puts them in the highest category of taxpayer $3.75 for every $1 over. So they are currently due to pay TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS* for exactly the same squad that went 41-41 last season and got swept in the first round.

Is anyone going to bite on Allen Crabbe ($74.8m, 4 years) or Evan Turner ($70m, 4 years) packaged with the 20th or 26th pick? Are they even going to have to throw in the 15th pick to move some salary?

*$199.94m to be precise

With a lot of big new-money contracts out there, most teams looking to compete and the cap coming down there might not be many buyers in general

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I'm the sixers I might take 15 and crabbe for a late second.

It's close tho. That would limit fa room the next two years . Meh

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
IDK whatever porzingis is cool i have his jersey (great gift thanks friend Scott who noticed me watching plenty ball) if you can get a massive deal for him (better than the jokes people are offering now then laughing about because they're so bad) fine let him go play somewhere where basketball is fun and he's not obligated to say it's fun to play with Carmelo Anthony after games

gently caress it all

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

If I'm the sixers I might take 15 and crabbe for a late second.

It's close tho. That would limit fa room the next two years . Meh

As far as I can tell salary dump candidates are Brooklyn, Denver, Sacramento and that's about it

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Brooklyn can have Crabbe after all, everyone's happy

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/877913203942019072

Do it, Magic! lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

As far as I can tell salary dump candidates are Brooklyn, Denver, Sacramento and that's about it

He can't go to Brooklyn until July

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

He can't go to Brooklyn until July

I just meant in general

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

I just meant in general

Probably TWolves now that Pekovic is off the books. I dunno if Thibs wants a salary like Crabbes though, especially as they have a lot of young talent already so probably wouldn't value a late pick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crabbes trade kicker is just so bad

If he played defense it would be almost ok.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Pretty sure Crabbe has a 15% trade kicker too so gently caress that.

Edit: beaten

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crabbe is the only guy that other teams might want but that deal is still not that appealing and teams that could absorb the deal are probably more content with trying to find a cheaper version in the draft

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I wonder who the Nets will gently caress over via RFA this year

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Paul Zuvella posted:

I wonder who the Nets will gently caress over via RFA this year

Hopefully Boston

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Some blazers fans here were hilariously nonchalant about those signings last year, saying things like "who else is there to spend money on?" while everyone else was suggesting that there might be a free agency next season too

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Portland has 14 guaranteed deals. I guess they could also waive Quarterman and draft and stash a Euro

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
matching on Crabbe was surely painful but perhaps defensible. Coming to terms with Harkless was fine. But that loving Meyers Leonard deal.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Wasn't it Iggy who laughed and told Evan Turner to take Portland's offer immediately after Meatwad rang him up

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Yeah I forgot to mention Crabbe's 15% trade kicker, which makes taking him on even more painful. Portland is just so screwed cap wise for the next three years - they have $117m on the books for 2019-20 already. And that's not even including whatever deal they sign Nurkic to, whose contract expires next summer. If they can't move anyone this summer or during the season then the repeater tax implications for them will be egregious. All for a slightly above average roster.

The endgame is a Lillard or McCollom trade, it's inevitable. Maybe even this year at the deadline.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Some blazers fans here were hilariously nonchalant about those signings last year, saying things like "who else is there to spend money on?" while everyone else was suggesting that there might be a free agency next season too

I was never okay with the Turner or Crabbe or Meyers signings.

Also lol if true

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/6/22/15855038/lamarcus-aldridge-wants-out-san-antonio-spurs-espn-stephen-a-smith

E: I'd be okay trading CJ. Everyone besides Lillard and maybe Nurkic are expendable to me.

zelah fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 22, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

People were doing the same thing with Mozgov and Deng. People were really, really stupid last off season.

:cry: 16 million is the going rate for center in today's NBA!!! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah I remember feeling ok in the end about Crabbe. He obviously didn't live up to the contract. I couldn't believe the Turner contract at the time and it's only gotten worse. I really don't see how they sort the cap situation out without trading Lillard or McCollum.

• Locked thread