Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

King won't give up on Saitama, and that's why he's exactly the kind of friend he needs to help beat depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

I suppose they are popularity contests to a degree considering Genos has never won a fight p much.

He wrote a very good essay, though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

He wrote a very good essay, though.

The gag where his Cyborg-Vision predicts Saitama's C as an S and then his "ah my prediction was a mistake.." is probably my favourite joke so far even though it was super obvious what was coming.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I suppose they are popularity contests to a degree considering Genos has never won a fight p much.

He's been overvalued. At most he should be A rank. Maybe somewhere in the 30s. Genos' problem is that he keeps getting sent to handle problems out of his league because he looks cool.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

He's been overvalued. At most he should be A rank. Maybe somewhere in the 30s. Genos' problem is that he keeps getting sent to handle problems out of his league because he looks cool.

He's been responsible for killing Demon Level threats, that's more than enough for the association.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

RareAcumen posted:

Has Genos ever actually been sent out for one of the problems, though? I think he's only ever been summoned when it was the entire S Class that was called in, everything else was just being near Saitama.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Who needs Saitama, we have watchdogman :)

Garou should've just told him to heel.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Genos absolutely belongs in the S class, but his role in the narrative as "the last line of defense to fall before Saitama arrives" makes it seem like he can't get anything done when he's actually extremely capable against threats the other S-Rankers typically deal with.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah we see Genos handle a ton of monsters, it's just that he's the series buttmonkey so what the reader sees is very different from what the general public in-universe does

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Watchdogman isn't human eh...

i wonder if, like i already correctly asserted, it's because he really is a dog!!!!!!!!!!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
King is the best

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

This is almost literally a panel from Eyeshield 21. I love Murata's art so much.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

That feel when King will never kick your rear end at third strike with only two fingers on the controls

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

It'd be pretty amazing if King ended up saving the world by being the one to help Saitama get over his apathy when some even-greater threat presents itself.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That reminds me, there was a challenge on the last season of the Amazing Race where they had to beat a pro fighting game player at Street Fighter 5 (they were in South Korea, at a big arena). Of course nobody could do it at first, but as they played more the pro players were given handicaps. First they were blindfolded and then they could only play with one hand.

One contestant was still stuck there for another hour, it was incredible. I'd see if it's on youtube but I'm phone posting.

What I'm saying is, I believe in King.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
For this Genos talk, remember a lot of Saitama's kills are being attributed to Genos. That may be why he is being overvalued over metal bat.

Genos is good, but he keeps letting his guard down and getting sloppy. Rookie mistakes, but if that's all that is slowing him down he will be a very solid S ranker.

Also pick up ballroom Saitama! It is a good hobby!

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm sure this has been a thing for longer and I just didn't notice it until this chapter, but man it really looks to me that Saitama is like legit clinically depressed instead of just bored. King is a good friend.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Laughed out loud at Watchdog Man shaking.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

a kitten posted:

Extremely epic

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Watchdogman. Now that's a true hero.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Garou attacked king and was defeated in the blink of an eye... the "strongest living human"... how fast is he truly!?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

Watchdogman. Now that's a true hero.

Mankind's best friend

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

It's also about reliability. Genos shows up whenever he's asked, does the job no complaints. Meanwhile, Metal Bat has his sister's piano recitals and suchlike.

It's why, despite KING being known as the most powerful man in the world, is down at number 7. He tends to turn down calls due to being busy with his own poo poo. Meanwhile, Tatsumaki has a bad attitude, but she's always working. Even if she's shutting down a Demon level threat, she'll wrap it up quick so she can respond to the latest from dispatch. Puts her in the second highest spot.

As for Blast... we still don't know his deal.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Blast siphoned off all his power to saitama and became the legendary c class hero mumen rider, so he could feel the thrill of battle again

Maybe it de-aged him too, still working on that part of the theory

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Work Friend Keven posted:

Garou attacked king and was defeated in the blink of an eye... the "strongest living human"... how fast is he truly!?

Haha, I didn't realize that. If Garou remembers anything, he probably thinks King is ridiculously out of his league.

I like how Watchdogman has joined the ranks of stupidly powerful but probably not Saitama-level heroes with Tatsumaki.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Great chapter. Watchdogman was a good boy, the shake joke was fantastic, and developing Saitama's character is never a bad thing.

Also, A nice inclusion with making Garou's wall outline have horns.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 23, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Drunk Theory posted:

Great chapter. Watchdog man was a good boy, the shake joke was fantastic, and developing Saitama's character is never a bad thing.

Also, I nice inclusion with making Garou's wall outline have horns.

He uses Johnny Bravo strength Hair Cement.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Watchdogman totally earned a treat this chapter.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a kitten posted:

I was genuinely worried that no depiction of Watchdog Man fighting could do his character justice.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

I was genuinely worried that no depiction of Watchdog Man fighting could do his character justice.

Same. This was foolish in retrospect.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On that topic and the earlier one about rankings, I figure that Watchdog Man's where he is (S-12) because, while he's absurdly strong and looks after what's considered the most dangerous area, he only looks after that area. Regardless of his strength, he basically keeps one area on lockdown instead of going around to other places like how Tatsumaki will be basically anywhere she needs, so while he's absurdly strong (he may well have crushed the Monster Association invasion of Q-City mostly on his own) he's not perceived as doing as much as some others. Heck, his effectiveness might be part of that; from what we've seen he might even be stronger than some of those above him and deal with more monsters than many heroes elsewhere due to Q-City's inherent dangerousness, but at this point the association just goes "yeah, Watchdog Man's still keeping Q-City safe, like usual," and pays more attention to more interesting things.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

No way, A class is pretty weak

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

No way, A class is pretty weak

S rank is for flakes and weirdos they're scared might wash out if they don't bend over backwards to accommodate them but are too strong to let go. Genos would be perfectly happy to take Sweet Mask's slot and keep up his quotas if they hadn't dumped him straight to S class.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
i thought this was one punch man and not one kick man

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

isme posted:

i thought this was one punch man and not one kick man

That wasn't OPM, that was Caped Baldy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

S rank is for flakes and weirdos they're scared might wash out if they don't bend over backwards to accommodate them but are too strong to let go. Genos would be perfectly happy to take Sweet Mask's slot and keep up his quotas if they hadn't dumped him straight to S class.

Unless that's something that comes up later in the webcomic, S rank doesn't seem to be for flakes and weirdos so much as it's the class where they don't care if you're a flake and a weirdo. It's the people who, one way or another, are the ones you can't afford to lose.

I mean, Atomic Samurai and Tank Top Master are both respected mentors to a number of lower rank heroes, and Tatsumaki is the most reliable trump the Hero Association has.

Genos just looks like a scrub because he's always compared to Saitama. Compared most A ranks, he's still pretty impressive.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't get how people can't think of Genos being anything less than heroic after his actions in the Sea King arc where he literally sacrificed himself for an innocent bystander and child at that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Sneck is Rank 37... You're saying Genos is as strong as him? No way. Pri Pri is an S-rank that lost to Sea King and Genos was holding his own until he protected the kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sneck is a true hero who stood up to enemies even Suiryu, a martial artist who almost excited Saitama, cowered from. Please don't disrespect him.