Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

McFetusBurger posted:

I hope Sae becomes a contract, then it cuts to her and she's like "you must have known someone in the police, someone like me!"

That'd be neat.

She has a sister, too, so it'd be great if she's a Social Link as well.

Really, I'd love it if pretty much every remaining Social Link prompted some nonsensical dialogue from Sae like the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I got this impression that Sae knew who was involved (mostly), and she just wanted to wheedle a confession out of you.

On the topic of Mishima, his confidant abilities are great, and levelling him up is easy.

And on his personality, well... later.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

AradoBalanga posted:

The character that looks like a dead ringer for Wilson Fisk is up to something shady and possibly evil. I'm mildly shocked by this development.

I can't remember who it was, but I remember someone once making the comment that he looked "like Wilson Fisk did the fusion dance with a runny egg."

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Dude has a blobfish for a head. Seriously.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

W.T. Fits posted:

I can't remember who it was, but I remember someone once making the comment that he looked "like Wilson Fisk did the fusion dance with a runny egg."

Arist posted:

Oh my god, what the gently caress am I looking at? It’s like Wilson Fisk did a fusion dance with a runny egg.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Arist posted:

Worth pointing out: By some astronomical loving coincidence, for my first run I also named my group "Millennials"

Seriously.

I believe in destiny. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Really, I'd love it if pretty much every remaining Social Link prompted some nonsensical dialogue from Sae like the last one.
There's a couple that are really a stretch. :allears:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
We might be thinking of the same Confidants, and they are such a stretch Sae could easily call them bullshit. But Arist will surely deliver commentary on them :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Thanks, it's been awhile and there's like three different Persona 5 threads and I couldn't remember if that was said in the LP or in one of the other ones.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I hope the Anguished One shows up and she continues to predict all the possible associates you've made along the journey. Mysterious pen pals, higher beings, pictures of friends from long ago, everyone.

*Slams fist on table* And your lucky numbers are 9, 22, 33, 37, 40, and 46, aren't they!?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sae's comments on the confidants are pretty great because this one is comparatively simple: "Hey, you guys had a fan site. Did you know the owner?" is a bit of a stretch, but considering how it existed after their first hit, a phantom thief might as well have set it up themself for PR reasons. It gets pretty wild.

Anyway, onto the new tarot card. This one's simple.

The moon has a lobster and two dogs. I think the Tower, another tarot card, is in the back. It's about mysteries, illusions, self-deception and the unknown. In the hero's journey, it symbolizes the self-doubts and not knowing whether you're making progress. The moon, however, offers solace: it illuminates a path in the dark. The hero is not entirely lost. The lobster crawls out of the primordial pool of the unknown, its attention drawn to the moon and the howling wolves.

In persona 5, the lobster is going to loving town on this poor traveler while the two wolves look on. I can't think of anything in particular it symbolizes except "haha, look at this chump getting his poo poo pushed in by a lobster", which is admittedly a pretty funny image.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dudes getting attacked by lobsters is always a good time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Dudes getting attacked by lobsters is always a good time.

checks out

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Deltasquid posted:

In persona 5, the lobster is going to loving town on this poor traveler while the two wolves look on. I can't think of anything in particular it symbolizes except "haha, look at this chump getting his poo poo pushed in by a lobster", which is admittedly a pretty funny image.

Well, in the original card the moon itself is the focus. Both of the dogs are looking at it, and the lobster is pointed at it. Here, the lobster has pulled the dude into its pool and is going to town on him, and the dogs are clearly laughing at the poor bastard. The Moon itself, which symbolizes the way forward, is completely ignored.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wow, the new Red Lobster ads are pretty menacing.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ayana posted:

Well, in the original card the moon itself is the focus. Both of the dogs are looking at it, and the lobster is pointed at it. Here, the lobster has pulled the dude into its pool and is going to town on him, and the dogs are clearly laughing at the poor bastard. The Moon itself, which symbolizes the way forward, is completely ignored.

Which do you think is Mishima?

The unlucky dude, which he is, or the poor ignored moon, which he also is?

And that principle is so lazy, delegating his work to someone else.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Which do you think is Mishima?

The unlucky dude, which he is, or the poor ignored moon, which he also is?

And that principle is so lazy, delegating his work to someone else.

It'll be obvious once Mishima's confidant storyline goes underway. Though you should also have assumed he might be the lobster attacking some guy!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ayana posted:

Never go out on the night of the Hunt
Bloodborne 2 needs lobsters

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Bear in mind, Mishima's head was on the chopping block too, since Kamoshida was going to expel him as well. While we were mostly saving ourselves, our actions also ended up benefiting Mishima in a huge way. No surprise that he's gone full fanboy on us.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I got this impression that Sae knew who was involved (mostly), and she just wanted to wheedle a confession out of you.

"A spirit castle where you steal people's desires? Ok, fine, but WHO MADE YOUR COFFEE"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

McFetusBurger posted:

"A spirit castle where you steal people's desires? Ok, fine, but WHO MADE YOUR COFFEE"
"To get those glasses, you must have had to see an optometrist. DID HE HELP THE PHANTOM THIEVES, TOO?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"You must have been eating food to survive this long. What grocery store did you go to? WHO WAS THE CASHIER?"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"The fact that you are still alive, this means that you had oxygen to breath. How did you manage that?? Which tree supplied you with air?!? TELL ME!"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ApeHawk posted:

"The fact that you are still alive, this means that you had oxygen to breath. How did you manage that?? Which tree supplied you with air?!? TELL ME!"

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

ApeHawk posted:

Don't you DARE sell out Charley.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

ApeHawk posted:

Level Seven posted:

Don't you DARE sell out Charley.

:allears: This exchange is magical.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

PMush Perfect posted:

"To get those glasses, you must have had to see an optometrist. DID HE HELP THE PHANTOM THIEVES, TOO?"

The item description in your inventory about Maaku's glasses state that they don't actually correct his vision but are just to look smart. (I'm not sure if Arist still has the glasses in his inventory to show it off, but I hope so.)

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Deltasquid posted:

The item description in your inventory about Maaku's glasses state that they don't actually correct his vision but are just to look smart. (I'm not sure if Arist still has the glasses in his inventory to show it off, but I hope so.)

Haha, what an rear end in a top hat

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
On a topic not related to Mishima or the increasing improbability of the specificity of Sae's interrogation...ity, it's interesting to me how quickly the kids have boomeranged from 'sweet jesus gently caress what did we do' to 'you know, there are an awful lot of highly deserving complete douchebags out there that society can't touch'. Part of the reason it's 'interesting' and not 'a deal-breaker' is that it's pretty clear these days that there are an awful lot of highly deserving complete douchebags out there that society is unwilling to touch.

It does make me wonder, though - the complete douchebags have only really been obvious to me (who admittedly lives in his school bubble, devoid of information not related to microbial ecology) for about a year, and I'm guessing that the game was in development for considerably longer than that. Has there been some similar upwelling of douchebaggery in Japanese politics/culture prior to that that inspired the game's themes? Alternatively, it's possible that they started with the 'phantom thieves' angle and just extrapolated to the whole 'spirit of rebellion/revolution' business. I know approximately gently caress-all about the 'phantom thief' sub-sub-genre - is anybody around here better-qualified to comment on that?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
-edit- Arist is right. I'll post this in the summer of 2020 when we're done with the LP :v:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Verging? That's way too much, man

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

Haha, what an rear end in a top hat

Or it could be because he wants to look more harmless and hopefully mitigate the amount of poo poo he gets for being viewed as a criminal delinquent.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Hunt11 posted:

Or it could be because he wants to look more harmless and hopefully mitigate the amount of poo poo he gets for being viewed as a criminal delinquent.

This. The Clark Kent effect, she be real, yo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Maaku can't be that Phantom Thief guy going around stealing hearts. He's wearing glasses.

How could you wear glasses under a mask? It just doesn't add up!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

vdate posted:

On a topic not related to Mishima or the increasing improbability of the specificity of Sae's interrogation...ity, it's interesting to me how quickly the kids have boomeranged from 'sweet jesus gently caress what did we do' to 'you know, there are an awful lot of highly deserving complete douchebags out there that society can't touch'. Part of the reason it's 'interesting' and not 'a deal-breaker' is that it's pretty clear these days that there are an awful lot of highly deserving complete douchebags out there that society is unwilling to touch.

It does make me wonder, though - the complete douchebags have only really been obvious to me (who admittedly lives in his school bubble, devoid of information not related to microbial ecology) for about a year, and I'm guessing that the game was in development for considerably longer than that. Has there been some similar upwelling of douchebaggery in Japanese politics/culture prior to that that inspired the game's themes? Alternatively, it's possible that they started with the 'phantom thieves' angle and just extrapolated to the whole 'spirit of rebellion/revolution' business. I know approximately gently caress-all about the 'phantom thief' sub-sub-genre - is anybody around here better-qualified to comment on that?

Some later targets sort of tackle specific issues that have become public topics in Japan this millennium. But under the wraps of culture that generally emphasizes not standing out, saving face and loyalty those have been just silently accepted things since forever.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Hunt11 posted:

I don't watch much anime but I am pretty sure the villain in every series is always a guy with glasses, who pushes the glasses up on his nose so they reflect the light and become evil looking. Maaku is going to be defeated by a magical girl with a school uniform and a talking cat companion within a month at this rate.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Cicadalek posted:

I don't watch much anime but I am pretty sure the villain in every series is always a guy with glasses, who pushes the glasses up on his nose so they reflect the light and become evil looking. Maaku is going to be defeated by a magical girl with a school uniform and a talking cat companion within a month at this rate.

But he already has a talking cat companion...

Oh God.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Deltasquid posted:

Makuu knows what's up. As a owner of prescription glasses, i do in fact enjoy the look of intellectual mystique. Who in their right mind wants to look like has to do manual work for a living?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Kevos Setzer posted:

But he already has a talking cat companion...

Oh God.

Spoilers, the final boss is actually wearing three pairs of menacing, light-reflecting glasses at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The final boss is a huge pair of Kamina sunglasses, going "who the hell do you think we are"