Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Not even Al Ewing can get me to care about the Royals book. The art doesn't help either. Nothing loving happens in this book and none of the characters are engaging. Contrast that with the two issues of Black Bolt which have just blown me away, written by a guy I never heard of and a character I never thought worked outside of cameos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, I'm definitely not digging Royals like I was Uncanny Inhumans. Somehow Charles Soule pulled off the near impossible task of making the royals likable and relatable during his run, but Al Ewing isn't pulling it off. Black Bolt has been fantastic though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That cover for iceman is super weird

yeah its our two main characters, stabbing

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Maybe it's just because it's out of context but this just seems really awkwardly written. Also I think it would have worked better if the teacher hadn't been nice, because we're still living in a world where teachers are giving kids awards for "Most Likely To Be A Terrorist". I'm not really feeling Bendis' New World where teachers are nice to non-white kids.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 22, 2017

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

irlZaphod posted:

Maybe it's just because it's out of context but this just seems really awkwardly written. Also I think it would have worked better if the teacher hadn't been nice, because we're still living in a world where teachers are giving kids awards for "Most Likely To Be A Terrorist". I'm not really feeling Bendis' New World where teachers are nice to non-white kids.

No, even in context it's awkwardly written and plays out in an exceedingly contrived fashion. While I don't think it's offensive, I also don't think it's a very good scene. It also doesn't fit the character at all. Throughout the history of the character that we've been shown, she comes off as incredibly self-motivated. Are we expected to believe all of that stems from a completely forced conversation? It's just not good.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Jedi posted:

No, even in context it's awkwardly written and plays out in an exceedingly contrived fashion. While I don't think it's offensive, I also don't think it's a very good scene. It also doesn't fit the character at all. Throughout the history of the character that we've been shown, she comes off as incredibly self-motivated. Are we expected to believe all of that stems from a completely forced conversation? It's just not good.

Its not good, its Bendis™

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jedi posted:

How is that what you are getting from the scene? She's motivated before the scene, that's why she's trying to do the setup.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bobkatt013 posted:

Isn't she based off his daughter?

IIRC, Riri is meant as sort of a gift for Bendis's adopted daughters, the same way that Jeremy Whitley writes Princeless for his daughter. I'm not sure how much if at all Riri is actually based off of the younger two Bendises, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out it was significant.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Surely the plural of Bendis is Bendii.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jedi posted:

It seems like Riri is a gigantic nerd and is trying to have an "origin story" the way the heroes she identifies with did, and the teacher isn't cooperating, which frustrates her. This seems like something that, in outline, could happen with a precocious but nerdy childe, but comes off clumsily. It would also probably work better if the teacher was either annoyed or was like "lol OK uhhh i bet you'll never be TONY STARK WHO IS IRON MAN, how's that work?"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone said that's exactly how the scene ends.

Ultimates is everything I could have wanted. Two of the few Marvel characters who had their origins rewritten. Galactus was originally the last survivor of a space virus who plunged himself into a giant star, and Ego just sort of evolved that way within an uncharted dark galaxy or whatever.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Gwen Poole is better than I figured it would be in my or judgement based on the name. Gladi finally got around to reading it thought. It's been a ride for sure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Ultimates is good and all but I really liked Ego before. The concept of a giant planet with a face floating around is too great. Also I'm stunned that Ego-Prime doesn't look like Kurt Russell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

No, it's Bendis' although Bendis's is also acceptable. You're one of those dumb mother fuckers who thinks "octopi" is an actual word, aren't you?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cabbit posted:

Bendopodes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was a really solid 1st Zdarsky Spider-Man.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night posted:

Someone said that's exactly how the scene ends.
Hi-de-ho, Person Who Generally Actually Reads Comics He Discusses here!

Nessus is correct in thinking it would work out well if that was how the discussion went, because as a person who read more than three "go gently caress yourself Bendis, you son of a bitch, kill yourself and your adopted daughters you imperialist gently caress" panels on Twitter, the full conversation, which given context clues took place when she was probably seven years old maybe, given that she's in a class of children her age and is at MIT by the time she is eleven:

[the part quoted on Twitter, which is part of this thread so I'm holding out hope people posting about it read it]

TEACHER: Yes. That was a long time ago. Things were different back then, but because of people like her, a girl like you can do whatever you want, fly anywhere you want, and be anyone you want.
RIRI: I was kind of hoping you'd tell me the opposite so I would have something to inspire me to prove you wrong.
TEACHER: Sorry, I can't help you.
[RIRI STARES AT TEACHER INTENTLY]
TEACHER: Okay, you'll never be... ...Tony Stark.
RIRI: Really? I'm totally going to be Tony Stark!

There you go! Confirmed that the person who said they read the comic got that part right.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Context has no place when Twitter and social media want to be outraged on something.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't think many people are outraged? General consensus seems to be that it's just kind of awkward.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Yeah, I don't see so much outrage as the usual Brian Michael Bendis Pee-pee Doo-doo He Is A Bad Writer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was a little awkward but I still thought it was a good scene. Every bit of background Bendis give Riri makes her a better character.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only thing that catches my eye in that scene is the "Great." "Great?" "That is great." exchange. I just can't handle Bendis Talk. Everything else just seems like a normal storybeat to define a character further that some twitter person tried to turn into a thing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
It's kinda cornball and for some reason I can't pin down feels more so coming from Bendis (it's probably just residual disappointment with the decline of Bendis), but it's not like she's asking her teacher to burn a cross on her lawn so she has adversity to overcome.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Skwirl posted:

No, it's Bendis' although Bendis's is also acceptable. You're one of those dumb mother fuckers who thinks "octopi" is an actual word, aren't you?

Of course not, the plural of octopus is squids.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Lol, bet that chuckle head doesn't think the female pronoun of dog is cat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guess Hulk is going back to the She-Hulk title for Legacy.

Boo.

E: New Champions roster.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 23, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that's not the new champions roster its just the second part of an Avengers crossover

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I approve of those covers, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I approve of all of them. Especially The Death of The Mighty Thor. Great homage cover.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So, uh, the "big announcement that will change the industry" they were teasing for today is just a bunch of cover reveals with no other details? Seriously?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Their big announcement has to be more than this
https://news.marvel.com/comics/67447/marvel-legacy-changes-comic-book-industry/

The big one-shot has to be building up to new launches.

edit: Here's one. Sam is The Falcon again.

I hate how jerky these gifs are.

edit edit: Marvel Two-In-One: The Thing and The Human Torch
https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/878362675134160896

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 23, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So All-New Super Duper Marvel NOW but with references in the covers?

e: oh, new ghost rider comic. Hope it's a good team.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 23, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The covers are cool, I guess

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For some reason, seeing Kamala on the Two-In-One cover has reminded me that I really really need to get caught up on my series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-O posted:

I will give Marvel all the money they want if they are bringing back Marvel Two-In-One with Thing.

Yes! I am so happy right now.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I've been aching for a Fantastic Four book for a while, I'll probably give a comic starring The Thing a try.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

X-O posted:

Yes! I am so happy right now.

It's a pity the cover looks kinda crap but yeah this is the best news from this and even a crummy cover can't spoil it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RandallODim posted:

It's a pity the cover looks kinda crap but yeah this is the best news from this and even a crummy cover can't spoil it.

I think the cover is fine, it's just a really badly rendered gif.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The gifs are petty bad, and spoil the gimmick by themselves. Beyond that, it seems like a pretty novel Fall relaunch: launch half a dozen books and let most of everything else just keep going as it were. Been itching for that for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Though I think a better way to change the comics industry would be to sell your products like a sane person would and in a way that actually makes you money but hey I'm no economist so what do I knooooooow

• Locked thread