Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was doing some googling and

so thanks thread!

i have googled this phrase many times and never got this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

edit: wow a double post in 2017

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Share Bear posted:

i have googled this phrase many times and never got this

you have to google a bunch of programming stuff (possibly specifically python and/or java related?) while signed in to a google account

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

I got it once while searching "lamport clocks"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Arcsech posted:

you have to google a bunch of programming stuff (possibly specifically python and/or java related?) while signed in to a google account

that's basically my job and all i use this google account for so that explains a lot

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i did a bunch of the problems in that google thing as interview practice when i was looking for a job a couple years ago. they start easy but after a few levels get pretty tough. you're in a constrained environment so you have to solve the problem efficiently, the brute force answer usually won't pass the tests. in one case i couldn't derive the efficient solution and ended up figuring it out by generating the initial pattern inefficiently and digging through the online encyclopedia of integer sequences to find the generating formula. once you get to level 4 or so, it asks if you want to be contacted by a google recruiter. i said yes. never heard back anything about it (although i've been contacted by google recruiters before)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

are you cool if i use one of the solutions in the comments as a basis for starting the mumps version? with all these house showings i most def don't have time to solve it from scratch since it's not a problem i've done before.

Yeah go for it! Don't worry about making it single pass or whatever if you don't want to. I just wanted to see what it would look like in mumps.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
given a choice I would prefer not to work for an ad company but that's just me.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
hey guys

hey

monads

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nice of crapple to name the OS 9 memory manager symbol that shows up in the debugger if you trash the heap "YourHeapIsProbablyCorrupt"

google says in System 7.6 it was "BowelsOfTheMemoryManager" and before that the boring "_HSetStateQ"

According to a KB article it appears that way because it's the last symbol the debugger can find when you blow up the memory manager

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

redleader posted:

hey guys

hey

monads

i was just thinking about monads in rust, specifically i had a go at making the tardis monad.

everything would have to be on the heap though and i got bored because i couldn't make it zero-cost enough.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

nice of crapple to name the OS 9 memory manager symbol that shows up in the debugger if you trash the heap "YourHeapIsProbablyCorrupt"

google says in System 7.6 it was "BowelsOfTheMemoryManager" and before that the boring "_HSetStateQ"

According to a KB article it appears that way because it's the last symbol the debugger can find when you blow up the memory manager

yeah, there were lots of bogus bug reports about _HSetStateQ crashing, this made it more obvious to developers that it was their code, not the Memory Manager, that was the problem

I emailed AIM support when they were working on one of their earliest versions because it crashed with EvenBetterBusError enabled and they pulled the classic "oh it's not compatible with that extension" bullshit: EBBE is a debugging tool that stores a value into 0 that is an illegal instruction on both PowerPC and 68K, points to undefined memory, is odd, etc. and also runs a once-per-tick VBL task to check for changes to the value at 0 so you an see if someone does an accidental write to NULL too

I turned out to have a friend who knew someone on their team so I could explain to them directly just how properly written software can't be incompatible with EBBE

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

gonadic io posted:

i was just thinking about monads in rust, specifically i had a go at making the tardis monad.

everything would have to be on the heap though and i got bored because i couldn't make it zero-cost enough.

i appreciate how bizarre and baffling haskell is. it must be what the usual python/java/c/whatever code looks like to normal people

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

yeah, there were lots of bogus bug reports about _HSetStateQ crashing, this made it more obvious to developers that it was their code, not the Memory Manager, that was the problem

I emailed AIM support when they were working on one of their earliest versions because it crashed with EvenBetterBusError enabled and they pulled the classic "oh it's not compatible with that extension" bullshit: EBBE is a debugging tool that stores a value into 0 that is an illegal instruction on both PowerPC and 68K, points to undefined memory, is odd, etc. and also runs a once-per-tick VBL task to check for changes to the value at 0 so you an see if someone does an accidental write to NULL too

I turned out to have a friend who knew someone on their team so I could explain to them directly just how properly written software can't be incompatible with EBBE

Amiga had Enforcer and MungWall that did something like that, plus reporting invalid reads or writes over serial or to a console window. Enforcer did it using the MMU to block illegal writes, MungWall hooked certain memory routines to report when you've hosed up. here's a debugging guide from Commodore

pre:
Unlike Enforcer, Mungwall does not require any special hardware. Mungwall
can run without Enforcer and on non-MMU machines.

Mungwall uses several special 32-bit values to ``mung'' memory which helps
diagnose problems:

Except when Enforcer is running, Mungwall sets location zero to
   $C0DEDBAD.  Normally, location zero is $00000000.  By putting an odd,
   non-zero value in location zero, any erroneous references to location
   zero are much more likely to show themselves.  For example, a program
   that references  location zero as character array will see a string
   that starts with the ASCII values $C0 $DE $DB $AD, rather than seeing a
   NULL string.

When Mungwall starts up, it sets all free memory to $ABADCAFE.  If this
   number shows up while an application is running, it is likely that
   someone is referencing memory in the free list.

When a program allocates memory, Mungwall sets that memory to $DEADF00D
   (Except when allocating memory with MEMF_CLEAR).  When an application
   accidentally accesses its memory before initializing it, the
   application will find the well-known value $DEADF00D rather than some
   random value that happened to be left in memory.

Mungwall fills deallocated memory with $DEADBEEF, which makes using
   freed memory bugs much more obvious.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 23, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/878354791717625857

:toot: it's alive

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have successfully convinced our CTO to let me (attempt to) migrate one of our mongo databases to postgres

it's gonna be real hard

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have successfully convinced our CTO to let me (attempt to) migrate one of our mongo databases to postgres

it's gonna be real hard

step 1) copy it into a single jsonb cell
step 2) split that cell into a column
step 3) split that column into a table
step 4) split that table into a schema

you may skip 2)-4) in a pinch

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

redleader posted:

i appreciate how bizarre and baffling haskell is. it must be what the usual python/java/c/whatever code looks like to normal people

Actually, I think you will find it is mutable state which is bizarre and baffling!

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's gonna be real hard

im gonna do this soon too

it's gonna be hard because most of the writes are just us retardedly syncing js objects from the frontend straight to mongo.

my own features I started are done with event sourcing and that shits gonna be crazy easy to migrate. my own code rules

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
where was it someone was claiming strong typing made a JIT impossible

im still confused over that one

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Actually, I think you will find it is mutable state which is bizarre and baffling!

I assumed the op was referring to Haskell operator soup, not immutability

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

VikingofRock posted:

Alice in Wonderland, except instead of making fun of obtuse mathematicians, logicians, and physicists, Carrol excoriates everyone who has not see the way and the light of Typed Functional Programming.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Alice in Wonderland, except instead of making fun of obtuse mathematicians, logicians, and physicists, Carrol excoriates everyone who has not see the way and the light of Typed Functional Programming.

What is the Mad Hatter scene if not a parody of mutability via tea party seating?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

code:

queenOfHearts (_:xs) = xs

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

code:

queenOfHearts (_:xs) = xs

:tipshat:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

immutability is fine. it's just basically everything else about haskell that is inscrutable to an outsider

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

What is the Mad Hatter scene if not a parody of mutability via tea party seating?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

hey, if the guy with the printed spotify internal wiki is still living, can you get back to me about that

i really want that book

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

hey, if the guy with the printed spotify internal wiki is still living, can you get back to me about that

i really want that book

please don't invade spotify

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CommunistPancake posted:

i really want that book

https://www.spotifyjobs.com/

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i feel like i've heard bad things about working for spotify

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

i feel like i've heard bad things about working for spotify

as far as their swedish hq went, it was fairly good stuff. ive heard bad things about salary progression, but thats also a typically swedish issue of the modern classical swedish company culture

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

still workin on that mac 3D engine

it's got wavefront obj mesh support now and i fixed a problem with the perspective transform so Z coordinates aren't scaled by 100000, among lots of other things. also because frame rendering occurs at the end of the Mac OS event loop pressing any keyboard buttons delays the next frame lol, that needs to be moved so it's tied to vblank instead

the z-buffer is currently an array of 32-bit floats which is really slow to reset... need to drop that to 16-bit values

i wrote my own PowerPC assembly routine though!!! :toot:

code:
asm void PixMapDrawing::ResetZBuffer() {
	//std::memset(zBuffer, 0, zBufferLength);

//32-bit word
	//r3 = *this
	lis	r7,0x7f7fffff@h
	ori	r7,r7,0x7f7fffff@l
	li	r9,VIEWPORT_X   //512px wide
	li	r10,VIEWPORT_Y  //384px tall
	mullw	r9,r9,r10	//r9 = r9*r10
	mtctr	r9		//r9 -> CTR

lwz 	r8,4(r3)	//address of the zbuffer -> r8

resetLoop:
	stw	r7,0(r8)	//store r7 in the word at r8.
	addi 	r8,r8,4		//add 4 to r0, store in r8

bdnz	resetLoop	//if r9 != 0, branch to resetLoop
}

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 25, 2017

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Look, I'm luigi

howdy, howdy, howdy

been doing a lot of reading about OS's over the past couple weeks, and my fuckin' head hurts

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

just wait until you get to global descriptor tables. DPMI is magic

I've been working on my Atari thing off and on too, mostly working on moving my drawing routines from the game ROM to the BIOS ROM

I'm going with the easiest way to handle system calls on the 68k which is separating different functionality into different trap vectors and calling functions through a dispatcher and jump table in the trap handler

so clearing the alphanumeric layer is function 1, trap 1, writing a sprite palette is function 7, trap 3, etc. variables are passed on the stack with the dispatcher only looking at the function code at the top of the stack. unknown system calls cause an error message.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you're not using the A-line illegal instruction vector for that? it lets you encode the function in the instruction itself...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

elite_garbage_man posted:

Look, I'm luigi

howdy, howdy, howdy

been doing a lot of reading about OS's over the past couple weeks, and my fuckin' head hurts

build an efi executable, op

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's gonna be real hard

same except he won't let me do it and the person who created the mongo disaster is going to do it instead

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sapozhnik posted:

build an efi executable, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

terrible programmer question: so how do you know when you need an index and what it needs to be if your gui sql manager doesn't just tell you?

• Locked thread