Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm :canada: and I just like to travel when I get the opportunity (i.e. work pays for plane tickets). Have a good trip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Trip Report: austin is great and we didn't really venture off the beaten path for meals

Micklethwait had sublime beef ribs, and pretty good everything else (not a bbq expert but i do have a smoker and enjoy making my own)
Tacodeli and Torchys were both excellent for tacos. I preferred torchy's breakfast tacos over tacodeli, but tacodeli had a really excellent steak taco called the cowboy. Torchy's queso was fuckin amazing and life changing.

snooze AM eatery is fuckin dope for breakfast

Homeslice pizza seemed like a good NY style pizza but again, no expert on how authentic it is.

Shake shack isn't based in austin but makes a tasty burg and we dont have them in seattle which makes me sad.

I don't understand why so many people love Torchy's. There is a tiny taco stand on called El Primo on South 1st that makes bigger, better, cheaper tacos. El Borrego de Oro and El Papalote also have great tacos.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I don't understand why so many people love Torchy's. There is a tiny taco stand on called El Primo on South 1st that makes bigger, better, cheaper tacos. El Borrego de Oro and El Papalote also have great tacos.

This. I've never been to those other places, but Torchy's is okay at best.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Torchy's is pretty much the platonic ideal of white people tacos.

All tacos assumed to be on flour tortillas, not corn. None of those ICKY meats. The flavors are good, but definitely not too strong now! The hottest hot sauce is about medium/low level spiciness, so you can feel like a champ without actually hurting your precious tongue. All tied together inexplicably by a totally hip and cool rockabilly vibe that has been watered down to the point of complete mainstream inoffensiveness.

All in all, it's perfectly fine tasting food, there's just nothing remarkable about it, and there are at least 100 places to get a better taco in Austin.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Torchy's is pretty much the platonic ideal of white people tacos.

All tacos assumed to be on flour tortillas, not corn. None of those ICKY meats. The flavors are good, but definitely not too strong now! The hottest hot sauce is about medium/low level spiciness, so you can feel like a champ without actually hurting your precious tongue. All tied together inexplicably by a totally hip and cool rockabilly vibe that has been watered down to the point of complete mainstream inoffensiveness.

All in all, it's perfectly fine tasting food, there's just nothing remarkable about it, and there are at least 100 places to get a better taco in Austin.

But enough about Austin as a whole. :v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
P Terry's vs In-N-Out: debate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Melt is popular for the novelty and because it was on Man vs. Food. I would've happily recommended it before they expanded everywhere though.

Do you have a budget? Some other places downtown would be Greenhouse Tavern and the Butcher and Brewer. Lola is also downtown but it's a bit pricey. The West Side Market isn't far from downtown and has a lot of nice places like the Great Lakes Brewing Company ( I recommend taking a tour of the brewery if you have time). There's also a stand inside the West Side Market that's famous for their gyro's, Steve's Gryos. They're huge. The West Side Market itself has limited hours so double check before you go. There's tons of restaurants around there if the market itself is closed. Clevelanders love corned beef and without a doubt the best restaurant for that would be Slyman's. Another popular place would be Happy Dog. They have lots of different toppings for hot dogs and you can get as many as you want. There's one on the East and West Side.

Unfortunately, I only really know downtown and the West Side. You may want to check out the coventry area near Little Italy. There's a lot of trendy restaurants in Cleveland these days.

I'd -1 the Greenhouse. That, NoodleCat and something else are all run by the same guy and he's a complete and utter tosser which would be OK but it shows with service. If you don't have access to BBQ I really like mabels. Pho Thang Cafe is my downtown Vietnamese go to but they only have beer if you're drinking. Near the WSM I'm a huge fan of the Black Pig. Also close to downtown is the Tremont area which has quite competitive restaurants and Sokolowski's University Inn (although I think Dante's is overrated. Decently good food and they have Ramen after 10:30 but I don't feel it justifies NYC prices.) Between downtown and the east side there's Asian Town which has Li Wah for decent dim sum, Schechuan Cafe if you're able to order off menu and there's a decent hot pot place but I can't recall the name right now.

I'm not too familiar with the east side either but the Lee road area seems to be getting popular like Coventry. Bottlehouse Brew & meadery would be a great place to get a drink and maybe find out from a local. The Cedar Hill area also has some popular places, but I've only really drank on the east side.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is the hot pot place you're thinking of wonton gourmet? Would second that place.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Can I have some recommendations for Santa Fe and Albuquerque? I'm up for anything, but particularly anything regional I might not know about. Also, if it helps, this will be my first time visiting the southwestern US, and my concept of authentic Mexican food is pretty generalized I guess.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Can I have some recommendations for Santa Fe and Albuquerque? I'm up for anything, but particularly anything regional I might not know about. Also, if it helps, this will be my first time visiting the southwestern US, and my concept of authentic Mexican food is pretty generalized I guess.

What part(s) of town(s), any specific interests or dislikes, any kind of budget? Some of the nicer santa fe restaurants can run you hundreds per head depending.

Also, where are you coming from?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hauki posted:

What part(s) of town(s), any specific interests or dislikes, any kind of budget? Some of the nicer santa fe restaurants can run you hundreds per head depending.

Also, where are you coming from?

This is a road trip that I'm still in the early stages of planning, so I'm not sure about specific parts of either town yet— just that I'm going to be going through Albuquerque and Santa Fe and spending at least a couple of days in the area after visiting Amarillo, TX and before heading up into Colorado. I'm coming from NW Arkansas.

Likes: I'm honestly open to anything and everything, but Mexican food is the only thing I specifically have in mind. I'm especially interested in anything I'm going to have trouble finding outside the region.
Dislikes: I'm not really into wine, I guess, and my wife generally doesn't eat pork or red meat.
Budget: The less expensive, the better, but I'll splurge a little if it's really worth it. Hundreds per head is unfortunately out of the question.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 28, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

This is a road trip that I'm still in the early stages of planning, so I'm not sure about specific parts of town yet— just that I'm going to be going through Albuquerque and Santa Fe and spending at least a couple of days in the area after visiting Amarillo, TX and before heading up into Colorado. I'm coming from NW Arkansas.

Likes: I'm honestly open to anything and everything, but Mexican food is the only thing I specifically have in mind.
Dislikes: I'm not really into wine, I guess, and my wife generally doesn't eat pork or red meat.
Budget: The less expensive, the better, but I'll splurge a little if it's really worth it. Hundreds per head is unfortunately out of the question.

Alright, off the top of my head in Abq.: El Norteño used to have some great mole, but I haven't been there in years. Taqueria Mexico is decent. Last Call also has some decent tacos, etc. as do a number of food trucks around town. Zacatecas is alright, but seems to have gone downhill. You can at least get a real margarita there. The duck relleno is good. Sophia's is good New Mexican breakfast/lunch. It's sibling restaurants have been... less reliable. Pro's Ranch market et al is like walking into mexico and has some pretty good prepared foods. Rotisserie chickens cooked to order, tacos, etc. Cecilia's is decent New Mexican. Frontier is a staple. I also like Tia Betty Blue's for New Mexican breakfast/brunch. Banh Mi Coda has good pandan waffles, good banh mi and home made scallion fried tofu thing. The bò lá lôp at Que Huong used to be great. Again, haven't been there in a while and they may have changed owners? Cafe Trang used to be pretty good for pho, etc. too. New Mexico has surprisingly good Vietnamese overall, as it was a staging ground for refugees from the Vietnam war. San Pedro Mart is a gas station that has some of the best middle eastern food around.

Been a long time since I did a lot of eating around Santa Fe, but Tomasita's used to be decent New Mexican, La Choza was fine. La Boca is great tapas, but can be a little pricier. Harry's Roadhouse is cool. The Shed, The Compound, Geronimo are all good but might be out of your price range with drinks/dinner/etc. Vinaigrette is a decent place to grab a salad, either in SF or Abq. Kakawa has some good chocolate, drinks, etc. Clafoutis has some decent pastries. Blanking on some stuff here. Max's was loving great and is closed. It's sister restaurant was utterly disappointing.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 28, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Can I get some sushi recommendations for Vegas? Does Vegas even have good sushi?

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 2, 2017

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

AnonSpore posted:

Can I get some sushi recommendations for Vegas? Does Vegas even have good sushi?

Stellar sushi in Vegas. I'm a weiner and haven't been out in a while to see what's good lately, but I usually hit Naked Fish for a chef's choice slew of crazy cool eats. I'm sure the other Vegas goons will have much better suggestions and info! Keep in mind a lot of the resort properties fly in fresh fish daily from all over the world. I knew of one dude who used to be the oversee the fish ordering/program at some restaurant and Venetian and developed a system where he could call up any number of his mongers anywhere in the world and ask, "What's good in the water today?" and have a crate of that shipped that afternoon. Not everywhere is like that, of course, but there's plenty of high-end spots that there's a surprising amount of good fish in town. Good luck!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, for sushi in Vegas the main point is that you will have to pay for it. Same for any other inland destination.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Hauki posted:

Alright, off the top of my head in Abq.: El Norteño used to have some great mole, but I haven't been there in years. Taqueria Mexico is decent. Last Call also has some decent tacos, etc. as do a number of food trucks around town. Zacatecas is alright, but seems to have gone downhill. You can at least get a real margarita there. The duck relleno is good. Sophia's is good New Mexican breakfast/lunch. It's sibling restaurants have been... less reliable. Pro's Ranch market et al is like walking into mexico and has some pretty good prepared foods. Rotisserie chickens cooked to order, tacos, etc. Cecilia's is decent New Mexican. Frontier is a staple. I also like Tia Betty Blue's for New Mexican breakfast/brunch. Banh Mi Coda has good pandan waffles, good banh mi and home made scallion fried tofu thing. The bò lá lôp at Que Huong used to be great. Again, haven't been there in a while and they may have changed owners? Cafe Trang used to be pretty good for pho, etc. too. New Mexico has surprisingly good Vietnamese overall, as it was a staging ground for refugees from the Vietnam war. San Pedro Mart is a gas station that has some of the best middle eastern food around.

Been a long time since I did a lot of eating around Santa Fe, but Tomasita's used to be decent New Mexican, La Choza was fine. La Boca is great tapas, but can be a little pricier. Harry's Roadhouse is cool. The Shed, The Compound, Geronimo are all good but might be out of your price range with drinks/dinner/etc. Vinaigrette is a decent place to grab a salad, either in SF or Abq. Kakawa has some good chocolate, drinks, etc. Clafoutis has some decent pastries. Blanking on some stuff here. Max's was loving great and is closed. It's sister restaurant was utterly disappointing.

Hey, thanks. I unfortunately lost a day due to getting caught in a flash flood, so I might end up just doing Santa Fe, but I'm definitely going to a try at least a couple of the places you recommended. Kakawa I'm particularly excited about - recreations of historic blends of drinking chocolate sounds like exactly my kind of thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, I'm okay with paying a bit for good nigiri (not really interested in rolls) but I'm also looking for a good AYCE place as well so I can have the good stuff at one place and be a disgusting fat at the other.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Thanks for the Cleveland recs, we were pressed for time so ended up just hitting Great Lakes. Food was good and they had a great dunkelweizen on tap.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Any suggestions for Cincinnati? Both for casual/inexpensive (for me) and upscale (for the foodie friend I have visiting soonish). Moved from the suburbs recently.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Back in Fresno for the summer. Help?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RabbitMage posted:

My condolences. Nobody should be forced to endure that.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

dead lettuce posted:

I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions for Berlin, Vienna, Salzburg, Fussen/Bavaria, or Munich! We'll eat anything, from food trucks all the way up to fancy restaurants.

This might be too late to be of any use to you, but you never know. When I lived in Berlin, one of my favorite unusual places to eat was the Vietnamese restaurant at Dong Xuan center (a big Vietnamese-run shopping area out in Lichtenberg). It's also a good excuse to go way further east in Berlin than people usually go when visiting, and some of the surrounding neighborhood is neat. It's also right near the Herzbergstr. tram stop.

syncathetic
Oct 21, 2010
Any suggestions for places to eat in Barcelona? I'll be traveling alone, so nothing too fancy or formal.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Coming up one planned meal short in Paris, anyone have a good recommendation for our last dinner in town? We have done: l'as du fallafel, ambassade d'auvergne, candelaria, berthillon, and cidrerie du marais. We stopped into bar at the end of the world for drinks but not food (was very hot and crowded). We'll eat pretty much anything.

Bagel chat from last page: Ess-A-Bagel is overrated. Brooklyn Bagels in Astoria is the best NY bagel and can only be challenged by, oddly enough, Celebrity Bagels in Tenafly NJ. Even if you require a bagel in that neighborhood, David's is still better than Ess.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to Kansas City for the eclipse in August. Obviously looking for barbeque and steaks, and I'm sure all the tourist places are just fine, but anything that tops those?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Manila Bay is a really, really good Filipino restaurant. I'm not in KC often, but I've passed up barbecue to go there and I'd do it again.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Calypso posted:

I'm going to Kansas City for the eclipse in August. Obviously looking for barbeque and steaks, and I'm sure all the tourist places are just fine, but anything that tops those?

Q39 is relatively new and amazing.

Plus you can get a pour of whiskey with an au jus ice cube just try it don't be judge-y

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Heading to Nashville for four days in August. Prince's and Husk are the only definitive stops planned so far. Besides hot chicken are there any local specialties that I need to check out?

Recommendations for places to eat are welcome. Not really looking for fancy, new, upscale small plate places. Prefer mainstays that locals rely on. Definitely looking for a BBQ joint or two.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife and I are on the big island of Hawaii for a few days, where should we go for food?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Doom Rooster posted:

Heading to Nashville for four days in August. Prince's and Husk are the only definitive stops planned so far. Besides hot chicken are there any local specialties that I need to check out?

Recommendations for places to eat are welcome. Not really looking for fancy, new, upscale small plate places. Prefer mainstays that locals rely on. Definitely looking for a BBQ joint or two.

I'm going to piggyback onto this slightly and ask which of the two Prince's locations (north or the newer south one) is the better option if proximity really isn't a factor.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Pharmacy Burger Parlor. Peg Leg Porker for BBQ. Get the dry rub ribs.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

C-Euro posted:

Wife and I are on the big island of Hawaii for a few days, where should we go for food?

In Kona, 808 Grindz Cafe has the best loco mocos and was my favorite meal on the island, definitely the best food we had in otherwise touristy Kona.

On the other side of the island - Cafe 100 in Hilo is a classic for cheap fast food-style eats. We also ate at Kilauea Lodge in Volcano National Park which was a cool experience!

Thanks for the Germany recs a page or two ago, we had delicious currywurst from Curry 36 in Berlin and amazing döner kebap from Turkitch in Munich. We met up with my relatives in Munich so we didn't get to check out any of the other places but I saved them in my bookmarks for next time. :)

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Nashville:

Prince's is definitely worth the trip, just be sure to plan that you might have to wait in line for some time and then wait more to actually get your food. I haven't been to the new location where it's not as much a wait but have heard inconsistent reviews.

In my opinion, it's much more worth it to visit Husk at lunch rather than dinner. Order the burger, fried chicken, and plate of southern vegetables. Usually if you can't get a table, you can ask to eat at the bar. I really don't think you should spend your fancy dinner meal budget at Husk. Much better options: Bastion, City House, Rolf and Daughters, 404 Kitchen, Little Octopus, Henrietta Red. Yes, locals (the upper middle class ones) eat at all these places.

In addition to the aforementioned dry rub ribs at Peg Leg Porker, the smoked chicken is also really good.

McDougal's: The best chicken tenders. Order them fried with sauce on the side, the gold sauce is my favorite.

Dozen Bakery: The best bread in Nashville. Good sandwiches, salads, pastries

My favorite place to get a non-fancy burger in Nashville: Martin's (which is actually a barbecue place) or Dino's (formerly a true true dive bar, the old dude who ran it sold it but it still retains much of its dive-ness though with a more hipster clientele). Dino's is also right next to 308 which is a great bar.

If you must foray into downtown, the best snack there is the fried bologna sandwich at Robert's Western World.

Good places for cocktails that also have good food: Old Glory, Urban Cowboy Public House

Favorite brewery: Southern Grist, where you can order sandwiches (get the Asian flank steak sandwich) from Mitchell Deli. If the Thunderbird food truck is there (typically on Saturdays), get amazing smoked chicken thighs from them (resist the wings, they're good but the thighs are where it's at).

I feel like I have to mention Arnold's Country Kitchen because it's the epitome of what you would think of when you think "local mainstay." Meat and three, cafeteria style, and everyone raves about it. I think it's fine but don't get the hype. However, that's how some other people around here think of Prince's and I love Prince's.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
This is absolutely perfect, thanks. Tons of those places look like exactly what we're looking for.

Looking like getting into Nashville at 4pm on Saturday. Leaving around 6pm Monday.

Probably gonna hit Prince's, Southern Grist, Dozen, Peg Leg Porker, Husk, Dino's for drinks and probably a drunken late night burger, Loveless Cafe, Rolf and Daughters

Any idea where I can rent a Rascal scooter to roll my bloated rear end back to the airport?

Thanks!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
That's a solid list except your mention of Loveless reminded me that I can't believe I didn't mention Monell's. I would go to Monell's over Loveless and that saves a trek to the outskirts of the city unless you wanted to check out the Natchez Trace and were going to be out there anyway. Monell's in Germantown - it's communal seating at tables of at least a dozen people, you sit down with whoever arrives around the same time you do. All you can eat, they bring out plates of the mains of the day (which always includes fried chicken as one of the options), sides, and you pass the plates around the table, serving yourself to your heart's desire.

My suggested timing of the places you chose:

Sat 4 pm - Roll directly over to Prince's. Saturday is the only day it is open from the days you'll be in town so get right to it. Expect to be there until at least 6-7. You could try doing Southern Grist and getting a Thunderwings snack first to prepare yourself for the wait but I've never been to Prince's at prime dinner time so no idea what the wait would be then, so I would probably do Prince's then Southern Grist. Alternatively, Prince's is open until 4am on Friday/Sat nights so you could make it a late night destination instead.

Hit up Dino's this day because it's also on the East side of town. You'll be in vicinity of other bars if you want to bar hop around: 308 as mentioned, Rosemary and Beauty Queen, Urban Cowboy. There's also a Jeni's ice cream shop in that area that would be easy to get to, their ice cream sandwiches are amazing (and there are a bunch other locations around town you might come across)

Sunday breakfast: Dozen

Lunch: Husk (on a weekend it may be harder to walk in even just sitting at the bar so might want to try to get a reservation)

Dinner: Rolf (try to get a reservation, they do have communal tables that they save for walk-ins but you might have to wait a minute)

Monday breakfast: Loveless (or Monell's!)

Lunch: Peg Leg (it's not open on Sundays)

If getting into Husk on Sunday proves troublesome then you can shift Peg Leg to dinner on Saturday if you don't mind going back and forth between areas of town.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You fuckin' rock.

I went back and checked my itinerary and I was totally wrong about arrival and leave times. I've got more time than I thought! We'll also have a car, and plan on driving all over the place during the days anyway, so food location is not a major issue. We'll work out the stuff we want to SEE around the stuff we want to eat.

Rearranged some stuff for open/close hours, and then we've gotta be about 10 miles north of Hendersonville at 12:45pm Monday for the eclipse. Looking like we can't make it to Rolf. Wanted to work them in Monday afternoon but they don't open until when we have to be AT the airport. Subbed McDougal's. Looks like the final food itinerary is:

Saturday:

8:30am - Arrive in Nashville
Breakfast: Monell's
Lunch: Peg Leg Porker
Dinner: Prince's
Drinks: Dino's and/or Southern Grist

Sunday:
Breakfast: Loveless Cafe
Lunch: Arnolds
Dinner: Husk

Monday:
Breakfast: Dozen Bakery
Lunch: Pastries from Dozen, watch the eclipse at Avondale Access Area off Shute and 386
Super Early Dinner: McDougal's

5:30pm - be back at airport

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Sorry to throw another wrench in the plans but Arnold's is Monday-Friday lunch only, sorry!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
drat, thought I checked all of them. Not gonna make it then. Will have to sub for something else.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

RabbitMage posted:

Annex Kitchen has a dish that one of the Food Network personalities said was his favorite of 2016:

http://www.fresnobee.com/living/article157640664.html

I've heard a lot of good things about their food but haven't had a chance to go there yet. Seems to be one of the best-regarded spots in town. Relatively new.

Standard Sweets and Spices is one of the favorite Indian spots I've heard friends talk of. It's in an Indian grocery.

La Elegante Taqueria for some of my favorite adobada tacos.

La Reina de Michoacán for house-made paletas.

Cracked Pepper is one of the nicer dining options. Try the bread pudding.

Limon is good Peruvian food.

You have my condolences for having to stay here in summer. Stay cool (if you can)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Gonna be in Denver next weekend with the mrs and I was hoping to get some opinions on places to go. We will eat pretty much anything so fire away with suggestions, and we're both into beer so brewery suggestions are welcome too.

E: Staying downtown, will have our own vehicle, arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Monday afternoon.