Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Jesus loving Christ America wtf did you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

fsif posted:

I think this might be the singular instance of "Trump's trying to distract us!" that I agree with.

Not sure it really helps anything to change the narrative from "Trump is going to take away your healthcare" to "Trump is a loving liar who is going to take away your healthcare".

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Serial killers must be thinking they doing it all wrong after watching these sub-humans move towards killing massive amounts of people.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Aves Maria! posted:

Unless, of course, we just assume the worst possible scenario will come to pass in every conceivable situation.

Have you been paying attention since November?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

oohhboy posted:

Serial killers must be thinking they doing it all wrong after watching these sub-humans move towards killing massive amounts of people.

ISIS is looking at the GOP right now and thinking "drat, wish we could get away with killing that many Americans".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

canepazzo posted:

Jesus loving Christ America wtf did you do

Lesson folks : This Is How You Protest

I am filled with pride at those disabled people doing the job right

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Not sure it really helps anything to change the narrative from "Trump is going to take away your healthcare" to "Trump is a loving liar who is going to take away your healthcare".

I'm not saying it's going to be effective. I just don't think it's a coincidence that Trump decided to have his big "reveal" at the exact moment people in wheelchairs are getting hauled out of McConnell's office.

This isn't like one of his 12 am fugue state ramblings.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Petr posted:

Have you been paying attention since November?

Yes, and I thankfully have the ability to not take what has occurred as everything being inevitably hosed forever.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Aves Maria! posted:

That's a pretty big gamble, and it's quite likely that people would remember that "hey, Republicans tried really hard to push through a healthcare bill 3 years ago and now everything is loving awful". Unless, of course, we just assume the worst possible scenario will come to pass in every conceivable situation.
Their current alternative is basically no tax cuts for billionaires and ACA level healthcare for poor/old people. Better the grandmas die on the Dem's watch is probably their thinking.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This. No one cares about people standing on the side of the street at a park waving flags and asking people to honk.

This is how you grab peoples attention towards an issue.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

TARDISman posted:

Welp I feel physically ill.

Jesus Christ. It's a wonder that all the mirrors aren't broken in every GOP-held office.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Those disabled protesters are so incredibly brave. They knew this would happen, and they did it anyway, even though they are all physically not strong.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheScott2K posted:

Setting things up for AHCA to detonate just as Democrats get power back seems like a great way to make single-payer unstoppable.

It is totally gonna work in the GOP's favor, too. Dirty lowlives.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

In a small amount of something matters for once,
Pizzagate shooter has been sentenced to 4 years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's just beyond my understanding how the republicans are being so blatant about loving over old people. Usually its all about wrecking the future for the young but this time they seem to want to actively hurt their own voting base. Do they just not care anymore?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

fixing stuff requires legislation, which means in 2018-2020 you need trump's signature, but you can potentially get that in other ways: put in small riders in the budget to postpone stuff/ameliorate it/etc and dare him to shut down the government over it (the Republicans did that to some aspects of Obamacare, small sabotages that managed to make it into law). you're not getting a veto-proof majority, of course.

how much damage is done in the interim before 2020 all depends on the details, you could theoretically reverse this immediately on January 20, 2020 if you abolish the filibuster but it may take time to actually implement actions to reverse the damage, which again depends on the details

Honestly, one of the few positive points about Donald Trump being Donald Trump is that if we somehow take the Senate in 2018 we might be able to get him to sign most Democratic legislation because he has literally no ideology more coherent than "Trump good". He'd probably love to talk about how bipartisan he is and how good he is at making deals with Democrats. :v:

HappyHippo posted:

If the Dems gain control in 2018 they need to just name everything "Trump is the best and most handsome man alive act of 2019" and there will be no vetos.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 22, 2017

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

DaveWoo posted:

ISIS is looking at the GOP right now and thinking "drat, wish we could get away with killing that many Americans".

"Don't be stupid. We're not 'killing' Americans, we're simply 'allowing them to die'." - Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan high-fiving.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's just beyond my understanding how the republicans are being so blatant about loving over old people. Usually its all about wrecking the future for the young but this time they seem to want to actively hurt their own voting base. Do they just not care anymore?

Slash-and-burn.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BarbarianElephant posted:

Those disabled protesters are so incredibly brave. They knew this would happen, and they did it anyway, even though they are all physically not strong.

The Americans with Disabilities Act got passed the same way.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Aves Maria! posted:

Yes, and I thankfully have the ability to not take what has occurred as everything being inevitably hosed forever.

I mean, not forever, no.

There'll probably be a great evolutionary explosion of species a lot like the Cambrian after the Anthropocene's over.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kylra posted:

Their current alternative is basically no tax cuts for billionaires and ACA level healthcare for poor/old people. Better the grandmas die on the Dem's watch is probably their thinking.

it's a gamble they might take, yeah. But it's not exactly a safe one and anyone who is saying it'll definitely work is either a sycophant or needs to chill out from the political news for a while, go climb a hill, and breathe some fresh air.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaveWoo posted:

ISIS can't kill this many Americans Act.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, it's nice to be reminded that genuine heroes still exist.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah absolutely man, those people are loving badass. It's the fact they're being forcibly ripped away from their wheelchairs that shook me really badly.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is so hosed up, and the only thing I can think about is the insane percentage of people who would look at this and smile and laugh

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

These are loving horrific. The right won't even give a poo poo, souless, unfeeling, etc. God drat it.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Their voter base has demonstrated that, for whatever reason, they're not willing to punish their reps and senators for any reason, except not being far right enough.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/877921924977803264

I don't expect the approval of the Senate bill to be any higher.

Voting for a bill this unpopular would be instant political suicide if the GOP still believed the opinion of the electorate mattered.

Can't wait to see the response to today's bill. Would this maybe be the least popular piece of legislation in a position to be passed of all time?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lemming posted:

the only thing I can think about is the insane percentage of people who would look at this and smile and laugh

Trump Voters, TM

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/877936217945292800
https://twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/877905179135365120
https://twitter.com/nicholas_bagley/status/877935240588800000
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/877907729414709249
https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/877936933804138496

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Lemming posted:

This is so hosed up, and the only thing I can think about is the insane percentage of people who would look at this and smile and laugh

The alt-right are most assuredly pissing themselves laughing right now.

The mean conventional right are saying "No doubt the Democrats paid them plenty to be there. They knew what they were getting into."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Lemming posted:

i'd wager about 16%

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/877932907137966080
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/877932956458795008

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The alt-right are most assuredly pissing themselves laughing right now.

The mean conventional right are saying "No doubt the Democrats paid them plenty to be there. They knew what they were getting into."

Yeah. At some point we need to come to term with the fact that the GOP doesn't mislead all of these people - it's really, truly what many of them want.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/877935554700218370

pizzagate was a real thing in america at one point

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Aves Maria! posted:

it's a gamble they might take, yeah. But it's not exactly a safe one and anyone who is saying it'll definitely work is either a sycophant or needs to chill out from the political news for a while, go climb a hill, and breathe some fresh air.
It does quite look like they're taking it as we post about them proposing just that very thing. They don't want just 3 years of old/poor people dying for wealthy tax breaks and no Planned Parenthood after all.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Save these tweets, Don. This is what'll hang you.

Also re: protests, I sure don't have the stones to get my rear end beaten for my principles. Guess there's something good left in the American spirit

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kylra posted:

It does quite look like they're taking it as we post about them proposing just that very thing. They don't want just 3 years of old/poor people dying for wealthy tax breaks and no Planned Parenthood after all.

we'll see, I guess. it's possible this falls apart like a lovely house of cards as the first attempt at a bill did 3 months ago.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The wheelchair protester tweets will radicalize people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kylra posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardRubinDC/status/877938545016455168

• Locked thread