Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Trump dissaproval/approval on Gallup:

2/16/17 38/56
6/21/17 39/56

( sorry for the "nothing matters" post but the lack of needle movement cracked me up in a black comedy sort of way )

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

canepazzo posted:

In a small amount of something matters for once,
Pizzagate shooter has been sentenced to 4 years.

Cernovich should be his cell mate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's stupid to worry about the small amount of people who are looking at these protestors being dragged off and laughing at it. There aren't that many. What really matters are the exponentially more people who look at it and go "*shrug* well, what did they expect would happen." Hopefully those people can be swayed.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

The wheelchair protester tweets will radicalize people.
How do we get people to see them? How often to these kids of tweets get play on the news?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kekekela posted:

2/16/17 38/56
6/21/17 39/56

( sorry for the "nothing matters" post but this cracked me up in a black comedy sort of way )

You realize that a one percent bump in a single poll is meaningless statistical noise, right? And that 39 is still absurdly low?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

RZA Encryption posted:

The wheelchair protester tweets will radicalize people.

first terrorist fist bumps and now wheelchair imams? this has gotten out of hand

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's just beyond my understanding how the republicans are being so blatant about loving over old people. Usually its all about wrecking the future for the young but this time they seem to want to actively hurt their own voting base. Do they just not care anymore?
This is easily the most scared I've been about our political process. Like, this bill has almost no approval (thank god) and yet, the GOP remains convinced enough of their invulnerability that they might pass it anyway. Either they think they won't suffer electoral consequences or they won't care because they know that they'll be rewarded sufficiently after they leave office. Either way, this bill makes me scared instead of mad. The cornerstone behind our government has been that the elected representatives are at least nominally subject to the approval of their voters, and the weakness of that mechanism is showing through in an incredibly troubling way.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mississippi got it's religious freedom law upheld. God-loving-damnit.

https://mississippitoday.org/2017/06/22/5th-circuit-dismisses-case-against-house-bill-1523/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's stupid to worry about the small amount of people who are looking at these protestors being dragged off and laughing at it. There aren't that many. What really matters are the exponentially more people who look at it and go "*shrug* well, what did they expect would happen." Hopefully those people can be swayed.

Lmao, no. No, literally all of those people are lost to the void. You will never, ever be able to reach them. The only people that are worthwhile are the people who don't really care about much, who see that and think it looks bad.

Independents that lean D and Democrats are the only people who are worth considering reaching out to.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

You realize that a one percent bump in a single poll is meaningless statistical noise, right? And that 39 is still absurdly low?

Yeah, the point being that the things barely moved despite everything that's gone on since February. I don't think 39 is absurdly low for what has gone down in that time, no.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This is so upsetting. I can't handle this. Those poor people :smith:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Crows Turn Off posted:

How do we get people to see them? How often to these kids of tweets get play on the news?

On Fox News? Never. They'll never be mentioned.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, the point being that the things barely moved despite everything that's gone on since February. I don't think 39 is aburdly low for what has gone down in that time, no.

You are responding to the poster that 2 pages ago was mad at memes, like the concept of memes being in this thread.

They are most certainly mad

Edit: You edited out the mad part, now I look like a fool.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Petr posted:

Their voter base has demonstrated that, for whatever reason, they're not willing to punish their reps and senators for any reason, except not being far right enough.

The right wing media is basically a cult at this point. On the left people vote for Democratic candidates (usually, when we remember there's an election) but seem to have very little attachment to the party or even leftism in general on an identity level. Once you're inside the right wing media bubble though your entire worldview is shaped around the messages being repeatedly drilled into your skull by the various fear mongerers who follow the same talking points, which are then again parroted between you and your friends/family who are also inside the conservative bubble. Sure you might find some issues where a conservative voter might agree with the democratic position (ACA, minimum wage, the most basic laws on gun control), but said voter will almost never turn against their conservative identity that they base their whole worldview on just based on issues.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Nazzadan posted:

You are responding to the poster that 2 pages ago was mad at memes, like the concept of memes being in this thread.

They are most certainly mad

Edit: You edited out the mad part, now I look like a fool.

Sorry I misread his post initially, now I've hosed everything up

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Spiritus Nox posted:

He's talking about there being no movement in Trump's approval rating since February. It's essentially the same, 4 months later.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kekekela posted:

2/16/17 38/56
6/21/17 39/56

( sorry for the "nothing matters" post but the lack of needle movement cracked me up in a black comedy sort of way )

Yeah this is misleading. The needle has moved, its just fluctuated back up for Trump due to him not overtly making GBS threads himself for the past couple weeks now. When he inevitably does it'll go back down.

Also why start at 2/26? If you start at his inauguration his approval was like 46%.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/877940647805714437

Remember:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

They don't want to be seen dodging questions about the healthcare repeal and want to wait for the messaging to coalesce

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wait time out I've been out of the loop for a few days, why can't the Dems just filibuster the drat bill to make sure it never goes anywhere? Or have the Republicans given up on permanent tax cuts and are now trying to do healthcare via reconciliation?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

BonoMan posted:

https://mississippitoday.org/2017/06/22/5th-circuit-dismisses-case-against-house-bill-1523/
For the record the case was dismissed on standing grounds, not because the court necessarily thought the law was constitutional. So this is still lovely as hell, but it's not over.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

happyhippy posted:

It's going to be funny watching the average life expectancy of the US drop to mid 60s soon.

The "Get Your Inheritance Early Act"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BonoMan posted:

not on the merits though, so it just means the litigation has to start over the first time someone is denied

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

axeil posted:

This is so upsetting. I can't handle this. Those poor people :smith:

Those brave people.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Crazycryodude posted:

Wait time out I've been out of the loop for a few days, why can't the Dems just filibuster the drat bill to make sure it never goes anywhere? Or have the Republicans given up on permanent tax cuts and are now trying to do healthcare via reconciliation?

They are passing it via reconciliation. They are not giving up on tax cuts as those were also a part of the House bill.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Crazycryodude posted:

They are doing healthcare via reconciliation so they can get the budget wiggle room to do tax cuts (likely via reconciliation in 2018).

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, the point being that the things barely moved despite everything that's gone on since February. I don't think 39 is absurdly low for what has gone down in that time, no.

i'm going to chalk that up to the hyper-polarized nature of politics right now and also to the fact that nothing concrete has happened that people can point to and say "look at what Donald Trump has done to this country!" in the way Katrina or an economic crash might.

So far it's mostly just been Trump saying and doing dumb poo poo that while embarrassing as all hell hasn't resulted in consequences people can really feel on a broad scale (immigration crap notwithstanding). If there's a huge national disaster that cannot be easily ignored or rationalized, that's when we'll see his numbers start to plummet imo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Crazycryodude posted:

TL;DR

Republicans are using senate rules so that they can vote on the bill at 50+1 votes through the reconciliation process. The parliamentarian is basically the person who is the one controlling whether it meets the requirements (though since McConnell can just remove her and put somebody into rubber stamp who knows)

edit:

apparently this was yesterday
https://twitter.com/rollcall/status/877532929722916864

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

saintonan posted:

On Fox News? Never. They'll never be mentioned.

Good thing they've crashed in ratings.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

this is the 2017 reconciliation bill (and it is mostly tax cuts) and the rest of the tax cuts are in the 2018 bill

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

They are just going to claim that slowing the rate of growth isn't a cut and their rube base will eat it up.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Crazycryodude posted:

It's always been reconciliation.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

The Republicans are doing it via reconciliation.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Soylent Yellow posted:

The "Get Your Inheritance Early Act"

Only for poor people, though, and they are hardly likely to leave anything in their wills. The well-off will be able to afford care, and it doesn't change employer-provided health insurance all that much.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I'm stuck between being horribly depressed about what this bill will do and wanting to beat their base with a crowbar for letting them do it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good thing they've crashed in ratings.

I wonder if that's because people are going elsewhere for news or if their usual viewers know that things aren't going great and are just shutting down about politics instead.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kekekela posted:

It's probably not going to move much more. Trump has his floor at 35-36 or whatever (barring domestic crisis like katrina) and the only difference between this and past administrations is the rate at which he hit his floor. He basically hit it almost immediately after getting inaugurated instead of the American public slowly turning on him.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Aves Maria! posted:

i'm going to chalk that up to the hyper-polarized nature of politics right now and also to the fact that nothing concrete has happened that people can point to and say "look at what Donald Trump has done to this country!" in the way Katrina or an economic crash might.

Remember also that the economy is storming along, thanks to a combo of the Obama administration's wise plans, and businesses slavering about coming tax cuts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LaserShark posted:

I'm stuck between being horribly depressed about what this bill will do and wanting to beat their base with a crowbar for letting them do it.

At least we get to get a few cable news pieces about Trump voters who lose their health insurance to giggle at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I thought they wanted to avoid reconciliation because it has to sunset anything that increases the deficit (i.e. tax cuts) after 10 years and the Republicans want it to be permanent? Or is that just one of those rules that can be arbitrarily changed with a 50%+1 or on the order of the majority leader or whatever?

And I guess they would take 10 years of tax cuts over no tax cuts at all.

• Locked thread