Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the Prius tires on the BRZ/86 fall into the 'driving a slow car at 100% is more fun than driving a fast car at 50%' mentality. Its easier to step the rear out a little at lower, safer speeds. if you put some high end sports tires on it, you'd need a lot more speed (and power) to get it loose and things are more dangerous.

for a street car, I want the best tires I can afford that have a usable tread wear rating. Anything more on a daily driver (ie. semi slicks, pseudo-semis like NT05s) is a waste and anything less is more dangerous. I usually buy RE003s or Nitto Invos as they have good grip in the wet and decent tread life (the nittos wear pretty quick though in comparison).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The "Prius tires" are from an upgraded tire package. It's not the base prius tire.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The "Prius tires" are from an upgraded tire package. It's not the base prius tire.

Yeah, IIRC it's some JDM-only special edition too, not some run of the mill Prius.

They are definitely more "fun" tires than you might expect but I can't say I felt unsafe at any point. I didn't test the braking capabilities in the short time I drove an 86 but I don't think the magazine results have been out of the ordinary for the class.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Eifert Posting posted:

Just bear in mind if you successfully avoid an accident that would be the other driver's fault but end up in a ditch that liability decision is going to be against you.

Just bear in mind that going into the ditch is probably still better than running into a moose.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So this is sort of a stupid question, but as a new manual driver, I just can't get a hang of how to heel toe in my RS.

Can anyone take a picture or short video of how they arrange their foot or something? Every time I try I feel like I'm doing something really dumb, and go back to breaking and then rev matching separately.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I find that the gas on my RS is too low to comfortably heel toe unless I'm braking hard so instead I use the left side of my foot for the brake and the right side for the gas. It's not that easy to get used to.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

I find that the gas on my RS is too low to comfortably heel toe unless I'm braking hard so instead I use the left side of my foot for the brake and the right side for the gas. It's not that easy to get used to.

Mostly this and even then in certain braking situations you won't have enough brake travel to blip the throttle comfortably. Perfect when on track though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SerCypher posted:

So this is sort of a stupid question, but as a new manual driver, I just can't get a hang of how to heel toe in my RS.

Can anyone take a picture or short video of how they arrange their foot or something? Every time I try I feel like I'm doing something really dumb, and go back to breaking and then rev matching separately.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kdhe6vwDv8

Then this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K6XF1MeIV8

I found this guy to be a very effective teacher vs. other videos of similar content.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

There are spacers available for the ST. I assume they work on the RS.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When I had my FRS it came with terrible all season tires so I replaced those with winter tires (it was winter) and when it got warm I got Pilot Super Sports as my summer tires. The car was the most fun when it had the winter tires on. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with the "prius tires" (which were also oem tires for some mercs and Lexus cars) as my summer tire.

The tires on my fiesta st are the oem Bridgestone potenza re0-something's and they are the perfect balance of grip and fun for something around 200hp and fwd.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 21, 2017

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KillHour posted:

The gas pedal is too low to properly heel toe. Lots of people have reported that this is a good solution.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried a pedal spacer on my fist and didn't much care for it. Wound up putting on a wider pedal cover instead and it works perfectly for me. So if it's the same deal might consider that as an option too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you have access to a 3D printer you can print a spacer for next to nothing.

Here's the one for Focus: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2274533

and for Fiesta: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1369818

I've had mine in for about a month and I'm still not 100% sure on it. I feel the gas pedal is in a more comfortable place for day to day driving but I actually find it worse in certain situations. I wear decent sized work boots normally and after installing the spacer I've ended up having a few times where I inadvertently pressed the corner of the gas pedal along with the brake. This doesn't happen when I'm in my Pilotis, but those aren't exactly day to day shoes.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I am going to put some skateboard griptape on my gas pedal, even with the spacer I'm still struggling to get the correct brap

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Repeating myself here but I bought a spacer and pedal covers and the pedal cover on its own worked best. To me the spacer didn't help much, or made things different rather than better, while the pedal cover made it perfect. I got this set and only used the gas pedal cover: https://www.amazon.com/OMP-OA-1000-Racing-Pedal/dp/B003V515WS

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Eifert Posting posted:

Just bear in mind if you successfully avoid an accident that would be the other driver's fault but end up in a ditch that liability decision is going to be against you.

When I got tboned, I literally had no where to go. Traffic to the side, a curb to the other side. I left almost 30 feet of rubber. If I hadn't stomped the brakes he likely would have spun me into traffic.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

What's the consensus on buying a used Focus/Fiesta ST?

I'll be trading my '08 Focus this year and am strongly considering one. Looking under $16k or so. Searching around the midwest, I can find nice looking examples with anywhere between 45k-80k miles depending options and location. CPO pops up in this range from time to time.

What should I be aware of?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

You might want to check on Facebook if you have an ST club local to you and see if anyone has one for sale. You'll be able to get a lot more information about it that way.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll look into different pedals.

I should also probably not drive fast in flip flops. Maybe it's time to buy some proper shoes...

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

angryhampster posted:

What's the consensus on buying a used Focus/Fiesta ST?

I'll be trading my '08 Focus this year and am strongly considering one. Looking under $16k or so. Searching around the midwest, I can find nice looking examples with anywhere between 45k-80k miles depending options and location. CPO pops up in this range from time to time.

What should I be aware of?

The sales people will quite likely have no idea what they're selling you, so be ready for that. When I bought my RS the dude kept going on and on about the safety features, like all wheel disc brakes! I don't think the ST had any major issues, so just look for evidence of hoonery (rashed wheels, play in the steering).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xsf421 posted:

The sales people will quite likely have no idea what they're selling you, so be ready for that. When I bought my RS the dude kept going on and on about the safety features, like all wheel disc brakes! I don't think the ST had any major issues, so just look for evidence of hoonery (rashed wheels, play in the steering).

Is it just me or does anyone else notice how almost every car in a parking lot has curbed wheels and at least one oops on just about every bumper. I swear the average driver in the US is a brain dead moron.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Cars are tools, man. poo poo happens.

Glad you're perfect though. What's it like up there on your pedestal?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's a daily driver there's only so much you can do. When I had my miata street parked my neighbors would regularly park via braille and left some annoying marks on the bumper. Thankfully the fist seems to be tall enough that they can perceive the spatial relationships involved so far.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SerCypher posted:

Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll look into different pedals.

I should also probably not drive fast in flip flops. Maybe it's time to buy some proper shoes...

Drive barefoot, motherfucker. Feels good.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Ferret King posted:

Cars are tools, man. poo poo happens.

Glad you're perfect though. What's it like up there on your pedestal?

It's called fixing your gently caress up. I'm sorry you can't drive without smashing into poo poo constantly. Stop raising my insurance rates.

FYI I've been driving for 20+ years with 0 at faults and 0 curb rashes. Yes it's possible to not be a moron.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just got my 16x7 rpf1s for my fiST. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Real jazzed!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I just wouldn't want the ulcers that come with caring so much about a car. I'm glad you're perfect though. Sincerely.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

It's called fixing your gently caress up. I'm sorry you can't drive without smashing into poo poo constantly. Stop raising my insurance rates.

FYI I've been driving for 20+ years with 0 at faults and 0 curb rashes. Yes it's possible to not be a moron.

if they were using their insurance the cars would be fixed and you wouldn't be here to point out faults

good job grandma driver guy

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I just wouldn't want the ulcers that come with caring so much about a car. I'm glad you're perfect though. Sincerely.

Not gonna lie, having a pristine example of a car definitely induces some anxiety about all the dumb poo poo that can happen to it at any time.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Figure most of the used car lots are old rental cars, so just no one ever gave a gently caress.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

veedubfreak posted:

Some people don't give a poo poo, and that's OK.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you need to feel the curb to know you parked, that's fine. As long as you don't park near me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

willroc7 posted:

Some people don't give a poo poo, and that's OK.

And that's perfectly fine. As long as they aren't damaging MY poo poo by being negligent assholes. The week before my car got tboned, some cocksucker sideswiped my rear door, no note, just left. That's my issue with all these cars with scraped up bumpers. I can guarantee at least a few of them hosed up someone else's vehicle that DOES care.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I try to be pretty careful but Houston traffic and streets suck and I've curbed one of the wheels on my GTI. I don't really sweat it though :feelsgood:

No accidents or tickets ever though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I try to be pretty careful but Houston traffic and streets suck and I've curbed one of the wheels on my GTI. I don't really sweat it though :feelsgood:

No accidents or tickets ever though.

Personally I feel like you're doing alright, but apparently you're a loving moron that shouldn't drive.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Ferret King posted:

Personally I feel like you're doing alright, but apparently you're a loving moron that shouldn't drive.

I'm guessing Ferret King likes to bang his car into poo poo constantly, why else would he be so offended that I trashed people that can't keep their cars off other cars and wheels off curbs.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

I'm guessing Ferret King likes to bang his car into poo poo constantly, why else would he be so offended that I trashed people that can't keep their cars off other cars and wheels off curbs.
I agree with you about everything else but curbing wheels is something that just happens sometimes and isn't worth letting yourself get worked up about. No one's ever curbed a wheel on someone else's car.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Holy poo poo this discussion is terrible car stuff. Look at our neat cars from last night's meet and talk about hot hatch stuff.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
^^^One of these things is not like the others....

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I agree with you about everything else but curbing wheels is something that just happens sometimes and isn't worth letting yourself get worked up about. No one's ever curbed a wheel on someone else's car.

I just think it's funny to walk through a parking lot and at least 75% of vehicles have curbed wheels. If you need to use the curb to park your car that's your business, but it's still a hilariously easy thing to avoid. I don't get worked up over someone else's curbed wheels, I get worked up when some jagoff hits my car then drives off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why did you bring it up in the first place

:thunk: