Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ChaosArgate posted:

You got Substance and the two disk version of Subsistence, right? Snakeboarding wasn't on the original Sons of Liberty and while I think Snake vs Monkey was on the original Snake Eater, there's a one disk version of Subsistence floating around that was part of an anthology that is basically just Snake Eater with none of the fun bonuses, like boss rush mode, or the secret theater, or the MSX games.

The MSX games are on disc one of Subsistence. You can even play them in the HD version of MGS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I forgot about Substance, oops. But yes I do have the 2-disc Subsistence. And every bit of the packaging on it is about MGO which is cool

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Your avatar is so beautiful and I love every time I see it. Thank you.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Apparently people who already owned the Taxman version of Sonic 1 have to pay to remove ads from it. That blows, why was that version of Sonic 1 never brought to anything but mobile?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I don't have a PS1 yet, but I still have my PS2 and all my PS1 games. I plan on playing it via S-Video. Is there any video quality difference in an S-Video PS1 and an S-Video PS2 playing PS1 games?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

You got Substance and the two disk version of Subsistence, right? Snakeboarding wasn't on the original Sons of Liberty and while I think Snake vs Monkey was on the original Snake Eater, there's a one disk version of Subsistence floating around that was part of an anthology that is basically just Snake Eater with none of the fun bonuses, like boss rush mode, or the secret theater, or the MSX games.

I can confirm Snake vs Monkey is in the original release of Snake Eater.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't have a PS1 yet, but I still have my PS2 and all my PS1 games. I plan on playing it via S-Video. Is there any video quality difference in an S-Video PS1 and an S-Video PS2 playing PS1 games?

Zero difference.

However, The PS2 can output PSX games over component*, whereas a PSX can only do composite, s-video and RGB.

* it'll output PSX games at 240p over component and some HDTVs really don't like that.

If you have a PS2, it'll work fine with PSX games so I really wouldn't bother with a separate PSX system.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 22, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

Zero difference.

However, The PS2 can output PSX games over component*, whereas a PSX can only do composite, s-video and RGB.

* it'll output PSX games at 240p over component and some HDTVs really don't like that.

If you have a PS2, it'll work fine with PSX games so I really wouldn't bother with a separate PSX system.

I assume that the PS3 does the same thing?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MarcusSA posted:

I assume that the PS3 does the same thing?

Yep. And it scales them to 1080p over HDMI.

And ALL PS3 models can play PSX games, so that's an option.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Zero difference.

Thanks, I figured that was the case, but knowing my luck there would be some weird game-breaking caveat. This is going into a CRT with component inputs. I already bought a PS3 S-Video cable so I'll use it. Saving the component for when HD Retrovision gets Genesis cables back in stock.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Wizgot posted:

That's kind of a bold statement.

And a questionable one as long as Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma count as a series. Former Ys staffers made them, too!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Thanks, I figured that was the case, but knowing my luck there would be some weird game-breaking caveat. This is going into a CRT with component inputs. I already bought a PS3 S-Video cable so I'll use it. Saving the component for when HD Retrovision gets Genesis cables back in stock.

There are SOME games which don't work at all on a PS2 or PS3, the list is something like "Wing Commander 3 + 20 games you never heard of", there's nothing there worth worrying about.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wizgot posted:

That's kind of a bold statement.

I was going to disagree but I don't think Brain Lord was ever a franchise per se.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

univbee posted:

There are SOME games which don't work at all on a PS2 or PS3, the list is something like "Wing Commander 3 + 20 games you never heard of", there's nothing there worth worrying about.

MGS:VR missions is one you might care about.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

MGS:VR missions is one you might care about.

What does it not work on? It definitely works on PS3, even has a PSN release.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think it's just the earlier PS2 models, but the Slim PS2 might not work either.

I think it's the same CD check thing that stops Wing Commander.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

Apparently people who already owned the Taxman version of Sonic 1 have to pay to remove ads from it. That blows, why was that version of Sonic 1 never brought to anything but mobile?

His 'Retro Engine' can build for just about any platform, it's a publisher choice. Maybe they wouldn't compete with the versions already out or in the pipeline like the 3DS ports. They also presumably turned down the S3K pitch. Someone in the industry can comment better on publisher decision making process.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Saving the component for when HD Retrovision gets Genesis cables back in stock.
I don't know if you're on their mailing list, but that's happening soon. Also with a price increase, which kind of sucks but I guess they're going to sell them for as much as people will pay.

quote:

To summarize, the restock wave structure is as follows:

Wave 1: June 24, 2017 at 6:59pm CDT / 11:59pm UTC

Wave 2: July 1, 2017 at 6:59pm CDT / 11:59pm UTC

Wave 3: July 8, 2017 at 6:59pm CDT / 11:59pm UTC

For the first wave, we will be enforcing a maximum quantity limit of two per each item listed on the shop, and then consider loosening up the policy for the subsequent waves as we deem necessary. As we have previously discussed, our costs have gone up for reasons such as the improved circuitry, packaging/labeling, and freight/duties, so we had to restructure the pricing of items in our store. YPbPr cables will be priced at $53 each, the Genesis Model2-to-Model1 adapter at $8, and the Saturn & Neo Geo adapters at $14. We will also no longer be offering any package deals consisting of bundling together a YPbPr cable and an adapter.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

wa27 posted:

I don't know if you're on their mailing list, but that's happening soon. Also with a price increase, which kind of sucks but I guess they're going to sell them for as much as people will pay.

Huh, neat, didn't realize it was so soon

Edit: For the Saturn adapter, is anything special required to do to the console for that? I know the Genesis can do native RGB/Component, but does the Saturn have native component?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 22, 2017

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Saturn has native RGB as well. Both most be converted to component.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

azurite posted:

Saturn has native RGB as well. Both most be converted to component.

Which is what the HD Retrovision cables do right? Basically can I use my bone stock Genesis 1, and eventual Saturn to output component via these cables.

I don't want to to spend $50 on cables and need to do more work and RGB modding/SCART stuff is scary :saddowns:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You know what I always wondered? Why is it so hard to emulate the file select highlight in Illusion of Gaia? I just tried 6 different SNES emulators on the n3DS and five of them could not show the bar, so you have no idea which file you are selecting. I remember it taking a really, really long time before it started to work on the pc emulators. It's obviously not a big deal, but I am fascinated with what could be the issue for such a small thing.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Which is what the HD Retrovision cables do right? Basically can I use my bone stock Genesis 1, and eventual Saturn to output component via these cables.

I don't want to to spend $50 on cables and need to do more work and RGB modding/SCART stuff is scary :saddowns:

Yes, the Retrovision cables convert RGB to component. Just a heads up, in case you're not aware: Even though the Saturn and Genesis video connectors look roughly similar, they won't fit in one another. Whoops, you said Genesis 1. They look nowhere near similar.

Another warning: You might spend more money in the long run on Retrovision cables and have less flexibility on what converters or even TVs you can use. SCART cables will carry the raw :rgb: signal to whatever conversion method you prefer (or none at all, depending). With Genesis or Saturn, there's still no modding necessary.

azurite fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

Chrono Trigger does devolve into a bunch of boss fights after Zeal. Unless you talk to the old man to learn about the unfinished side quests the game's narrative halts completely right at the climax. And Super Mario World is visually bland and mechanically conservative compared to how pioneering Mario 3 was.

I don't think that's making GBS threads on them and no one is denying they're classics.

"unless you do all the side quests"

What

What

We are talking about Chrono Trigger right?

That's literally the second half of the game, and what most people consider the best part. :psyduck: And those aren't "just boss fights" they're really clever side-stories that are in some ways more compelling than the main narrative.

You really think most people rush Lavos right after Zeal? 99% of the love I hear for the game is directed at the post-zeal side-quest section.

Heran Bago posted:

I somehow thought it was just Myst and Riven but there are 5 main games, an MMO spinoff that's still running, and 3 novels with 2 more planned. Is anything good beyond the first 2 games?

Every MYST is good, although some for different reasons than others.

I would consider Myst 5 the weakest by far of the main series, and Uru is very much its own beast and takes getting used to. You can play Uru offline single player now though, and it works.

I would rank the best of them as:

Riven > Myst 3 > Myst 4 > Myst > Uru >>>>> Myst 5

The spinoff novels are also pretty interesting in their own right, I've read two of them.

If you haven't played Myst 3 but you liked Riven and Myst definitely check it out. It has some good puzzles and the worlds are beautiful. Myst 4 looks even better but I don't like the puzzles as much.

Myst 5 and Uru aren't pre-rendered like the rest of them. They're real-time, like an FPS. So the graphics actually look worse in some ways, although you have far more freedom of movement.
Myst 5 also involves using a tablet to write symbols to solve lots of puzzles, which I didn't care for.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 22, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

"unless you do all the side quests"

What

What

We are talking about Chrono Trigger right?

That's literally the second half of the game, and what most people consider the best part. :psyduck: And those aren't "just boss fights" they're really clever side-stories that are in some ways more compelling than the main narrative.

You really think most people rush Lavos right after Zeal? 99% of the love I hear for the game is directed at the post-zeal side-quest section.

I certainly did because the game doesn't hold your hand by saying YO SIDEQUESTS HERE and I hadn't yet understood the "language" of console RPGs at the time (that is to say, talk to every named NPC after every major event). After Zeal the game is pretty direct about fighting Lavos. I even skipped the main fight the first time and just crashed into him in the Epoch. It wasn't until GameFAQS literally 8 months later that I even knew there was a back half to Chrono Trigger and rented it immediately.

And yeah, some of them are beautiful and clever especially Robo's arc but I do struggle a bit on replays because reviving Crono is tedious (and has you fight the same monster multiple times), the sun boss is easy if you're prepared but long and gimmicky, and I hate going through Zeal a second time. My sister played Chrono Trigger for the first time a year or so ago and her opinion pretty much matched my own when I got the DS version: it's a rollercoaster of super high peaks but every time the narrative dips the game becomes frustratingly dull. It's still a 15-ish hour game if you know what you're dong so by that pacing I can't fault it too much.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is the RetroN 1 HD okay if I just want a cheap HDMI NES or is it totally worthless? My actual old NES is too unreliable to use for gaming anymore so I need something else, and the AV options + price on this seem right for me, but I don't want it if I'm just going to hate the thing for some hidden issues it has.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

azurite posted:

Another warning: You might spend more money in the long run on Retrovision cables and have less flexibility on what converters or even TVs you can use. SCART cables will carry the raw :rgb: signal to whatever conversion method you prefer (or none at all, depending). With Genesis or Saturn, there's still no modding necessary.

They will never be connected to anything fancier than my ~2004ish Trinitron, so these will definitely be sufficient. My setup is basically "If I were an amateur nerd back then what would I have bought myself without putting that much effort in", which means S-Video on everything but my NES (using composite). Yes component Sega stuff is cheating but I'm justifying it by saying maybe '90s me had money for one weird trick to make those systems look better :colbert:

Also thanks everyone for the input and clarifying things

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You know what I always wondered? Why is it so hard to emulate the file select highlight in Illusion of Gaia? I just tried 6 different SNES emulators on the n3DS and five of them could not show the bar, so you have no idea which file you are selecting. I remember it taking a really, really long time before it started to work on the pc emulators. It's obviously not a big deal, but I am fascinated with what could be the issue for such a small thing.

It uses a rendering mode that is fairly rare, and somewhat difficult to code (well not particularly, but enough to be a bit of a barrier). As such, most of the emulator authors of old didn't know there was a problem , many because they certainly never played the game on an original console.

Add to that that most homebrew emulators available on things like the 3DS are based on older versions of PC emulators, and it makes sense why most don't bother to support it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Yeah. Retroarch is just a mess. I need a better launcher. I don't need a million options, I just want to have an easy menu(that my 4 year old can navigate) to launch different games/systems in my Android TV. The NES Classic is perfect. He can even work old modded Xbox that hasn't been updated since 2003.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

RodShaft posted:

Yeah. Retroarch is just a mess. I need a better launcher. I don't need a million options, I just want to have an easy menu(that my 4 year old can navigate) to launch different games/systems in my Android TV. The NES Classic is perfect. He can even work old modded Xbox that hasn't been updated since 2003.

You could always build a Retropie. I'm working on a handheld Pi Zero based one, and a Pi3 inside an old SNES shell. But you could just use a Pi3 in whatever case, with a decent size SD card or USB storage, and some USB or Bluetooth controllers for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've been playing a bit of The World Ends With You. Apparently, I should have waited a couple of weeks for the 10th anniversary of the game, but besides that, I think I'm giving up on it with about two hours of play. The problem is that the interface is among the worst I've ever encountered, it's badly explained, and painfully annoying to play. I can picture some developer going, "This control scheme is so stylish and cool!" but it's just irritating.

A lot of the problem is that the touch screen controls are all overlapping in functionality but the context doesn't work. Tap and drag your character to move, tap and drag to move objects, tap and drag to do a basic attack, with which one you do is supposed to depend on where it starts. I say "supposed to" since I have a real tough time actually interacting with what I want. I rarely take the action I want on my first try, or even until I drain that ability's meter, and in an action RPG that's really bad.

Worse is the fact that you're supposed to be controlling two characters on two different screens at the same time. After multiple instructional screens and tutorial fights, I still have no clue how to control the person on the top screen. I know it has something to do with the control pad, but there might be a timing component? Or maybe not? Or maybe the computer takes control of the character before the timing gets triggered? I wound up just letting the AI control that character for me since I have no clue what's going on with that.

The interface problems even extend to the menuing where shopping is done by dragging items to a shopping cart that has to be checked. This interface is not explained anywhere and I had to fiddle with it for several minutes before I figured out what the game wanted me to do.

Regardless of anything else in The World Ends With You, the interface makes it terrible to play.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
TWEWY has a steep learning curve at the start but it's probably the most fun I've ever had from a gameplay perspective in a RPG. I had to force myself at points to get on with the story because I was having so much fun mowing through mobs (the difficulty sliders help a ton). There's a certain rhythm you get into with the two characters where even though it looks so complicated you eventually just see everything unfolding just fine, Matrix-numbers style.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

TVs Ian posted:

You could always build a Retropie. I'm working on a handheld Pi Zero based one, and a Pi3 inside an old SNES shell. But you could just use a Pi3 in whatever case, with a decent size SD card or USB storage, and some USB or Bluetooth controllers for it.

Yeah. The point was to not have another thing hooked up to my TV when it's more than powerful enough to handle it. My dream setup would be my NES classic for everything 2 buttoned, and my TV for everything newer in my mind it was perfect since I already have 2 Bluetooth controllers. Maybe I'll just do individual emulators. For the few systems I really care about(arcade, SNES, Genesis)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It uses a rendering mode that is fairly rare, and somewhat difficult to code (well not particularly, but enough to be a bit of a barrier). As such, most of the emulator authors of old didn't know there was a problem , many because they certainly never played the game on an original console.

Add to that that most homebrew emulators available on things like the 3DS are based on older versions of PC emulators, and it makes sense why most don't bother to support it.

Why did they use a rendering mode (and a rare one at that) for what is literally a black box?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The top character's actions are dictated by a flow chart of direction presses that flow either to the right or left. Each of the playable partners has a different gimmick that defines how you should direct their flow charts. It's a bit tricky to figure out at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's incredibly fun. If it helps, try to focus mostly on the character who has the puck. You'll be jumping back and forth fairly frequently, but it's a good way to get higher damage.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Why did they use a rendering mode (and a rare one at that) for what is literally a black box?

If I know my programmers, someone probably was fiddling with it to see if they could get some cool effects, dropped it in at some point, and then nobody bothered changing it because it worked.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

TWEWY has a steep learning curve at the start but it's probably the most fun I've ever had from a gameplay perspective in a RPG. I had to force myself at points to get on with the story because I was having so much fun mowing through mobs (the difficulty sliders help a ton). There's a certain rhythm you get into with the two characters where even though it looks so complicated you eventually just see everything unfolding just fine, Matrix-numbers style.

Yeah, I don't remember hating the interface and combat was a lot more entertaining than the first couple chapters of the story. I doubt I'll ever revisit it but I was jonesing to play again after Bravely Default which follows a similar design edict of just dropping the player headfirst into the deep end.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
Dang, I just got a hold of a guy selling a fully darksoft modded CPS3. Here's hoping I get it :retrogames:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

No idea which one it is, but that's the only reason it wouldn't show up. If they'd used a normal way to do it, the thing would display correctly due to already being supported.

Like if it was the sort of way to make a menu that a Final Fantasy game used, you could bet it would work correctly, because everyone knows how an SNES Final Fantasy should work if they're coding an emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Apparently we're getting a HD remaster of the .Hack//G.U trilogy for both PS4 and PC as part of .Hack's 15th anniversary, which I'm definitely in favor of, although I'm kinda surprised they're doing it for GU and not the original quadrilogy

• Locked thread