Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Yeah that plays out exactly well in my head.

What the gently caress would the Devils even offer? TayTay?

Ben Lovejoy

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
peter why

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

So are there any specific rules for trades to prevent one team getting hosed?

Like, could Chicago have kept quiet about Hossa and traded him, then he shows up for training camp unable to play and the Blackhawks are just "welp, must have happened over the summer, no take-backs"?

Do the NHL have the right of veto on stupid trades*? If Edmonton call to say they're trading McDavid for a 6th rounder in 2020 can they say "Hang on, that's monumentally stupid. We're not putting that through. Go away and wait for the drugs to wear off"?

*I'm well aware any such stupid trade barrier will be very high, since Hall - Larsson got approved.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

So are there any specific rules for trades to prevent one team getting hosed?

Like, could Chicago have kept quiet about Hossa and traded him, then he shows up for training camp unable to play and the Blackhawks are just "welp, must have happened over the summer, no take-backs"?

Do the NHL have the right of veto on stupid trades*? If Edmonton call to say they're trading McDavid for a 6th rounder in 2020 can they say "Hang on, that's monumentally stupid. We're not putting that through. Go away and wait for the drugs to wear off"?

*I'm well aware any such stupid trade barrier will be very high, since Hall - Larsson got approved.

The other team has to be made aware of any injuries at the time of trade and I'm sure there'd be an investigation if they'd done that. Knowing how the NHL operates based on those concussion e-mails there'd probably be a huge papertrail/e-mail chain about it laughing to each other about passing him off.

And usually GMs don't self sabotage since they want to keep their jobs so the second part usually doesn't happen.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
nhl central registry has to approve all trades and contracts before theyre finalized. also if chicago knew and tried to trade hossa without disclosure poo poo would probably go down

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Can't a trade be nullified if one of the involved players fails their physical? I seem to remember it happening a few times with throw in AHL pieces, with a different guy having to go in their place.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Duck Rodgers posted:

Can't a trade be nullified if one of the involved players fails their physical? I seem to remember it happening a few times with throw in AHL pieces, with a different guy having to go in their place.

Yes.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/877967190036668416

HAS is gonna be disappointed.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

It can't be Severson. They'd be left with what? Andy Greene and a couple of traffic cones on D?

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

:ughh: sign markov and a cheap FA. is that so hard?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah there's no way he goes. But if it's any of their D, they're gonna have to spend some money to plug some holes.

Maybe it'll be something like Santini and a 2nd!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

He was quoted in the paper the other day saying he knew as much as the media did about what Vegas had planned.

I'm not sure he works very hard or even enjoys his job.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-vegas-expansion-forces-canucks-hand-at-rebuilding

im positive he works hard because he's too stupid not to. he probably still has those insane whiteboards with every team's depth chart and meticulously maintains them as if they offer him any insight

https://twitter.com/JasonPHT/status/877955765767745536

this guy either doesnt understand the word rebuild or will never, ever loving do it or both

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
who's gonna sign Dan Girardi

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If the Islanders are robbing other teams blind, then the Rangers need to get in on the action, too.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
The lightning would proudly send sustr to there. Here. Anywhere really.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

who's gonna sign Dan Girardi

I'm worried Calgary will, they need a defenceman and the UFA D crop mostly stinks outside of Shatty. Hopefully they re-sign Stone, I liked what I saw after the trade. I could see Montreal or NJ offering him a deal, also.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I can't wait for the rangers to light up Dan Girardi next season

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Schedules out

Holy poo poo the Flyera play a lot of games against the western conference early

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Duck Rodgers posted:

the last time i remember this happening was with uh... colin fraser going from LA to EDM? or maybe it was the other way? and then i think the trade happened anyway?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Verviticus posted:

im positive he works hard because he's too stupid not to. he probably still has those insane whiteboards with every team's depth chart and meticulously maintains them as if they offer him any insight

https://twitter.com/JasonPHT/status/877955765767745536

this guy either doesnt understand the word rebuild or will never, ever loving do it or both

We expect to have our good relativelt young d-man for the next 7 or 8 years, but if a good young d-man is available to us, we'll make the move.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Schedules out

Holy poo poo the Flyera play a lot of games against the western conference early

I think the last few years they've been front-loading cross-conference play as much as possible so they can have RIVALRIES down the stretch.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Thufir posted:

I think the last few years they've been front-loading cross-conference play as much as possible so they can have RIVALRIES down the stretch.

How can the NHL make every day of the week Wednesday?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

Pushing the inter-division games later also makes a tight playoff chase more "interesting."

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
garth snow.... owns

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/877938218280394755

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/877968141858463744

:toot:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

3 of the 4 bruins/habs games are in one week.

Yeah, that's right NHL. I want all the fun games out of the way in one go.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm worried Calgary will, they need a defenceman and the UFA D crop mostly stinks outside of Shatty. Hopefully they re-sign Stone, I liked what I saw after the trade. I could see Montreal or NJ offering him a deal, also.

I can see NJ taking him. And I'll just watch a lot of Capitals next season. Again.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
friedman and bobby mac both saying that hamonic is going to be traded very soon. kind of sucks, but expected. enjoy him, whoever gets him.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

if it's galchenyuk for hamonic i am going to say something like "could be worse"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

a false posted:

friedman and bobby mac both saying that hamonic is going to be traded very soon. kind of sucks, but expected. enjoy him, whoever gets him.

colorado is gonna love him. i can't wait to see duchene in new york!!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Stiev Awt posted:

if it's galchenyuk for hamonic i am going to say something like "could be worse"

if the league is as down on galchenyuk as people have been making it seem, that seems like pretty good value for both teams.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fateo McMurray posted:

3 of the 4 bruins/habs games are in one week.

Yeah, that's right NHL. I want all the fun games out of the way in one go.

11 of their last 15 games are on the road, which might not be bad since they're usually a better road team, but also gently caress that

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

a false posted:

No. Steve. Don't do it. No.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

a false posted:

if the league is as down on galchenyuk as people have been making it seem, that seems like pretty good value for both teams.

true, and if the open forward spot leads to a hudon and/or scherbak call up it'll be a nice consolation.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/877987137446006789

To be fair, this is expected, but honestly if I was a GM I'd throw an $11+ mil offer sheet at Draisaitl and get the Oilers into cap trouble by having both McDavid and Draisaitl at over $10 mil each. Of course, given what we know about NHL GMs there's 0% chance that happens.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

chayka....go full rear end in a top hat

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/877987137446006789

To be fair, this is expected, but honestly if I was a GM I'd throw an $11+ mil offer sheet at Draisaitl and get the Oilers into cap trouble by having both McDavid and Draisaitl at over $10 mil each. Of course, given what we know about NHL GMs there's 0% chance that happens.

:argh: Poile

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
honestly draisaitl is already very loving good and is probably still trending upwards, 11 mil is a lot for anyone without the cap increasing too much but if there's anyone in the league other than the obvious several guys who's worth it, it's probably him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/877991807732379649

Radulov's gonna get paid.

• Locked thread