Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

Oh thank god, it had been eight whole pages since someone pulled out that MLK quote.

gently caress MLK, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Yes, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

gently caress MLK, right?

You figured us all out, we are white supremacists hoping to take down minorities via enforcement of 'keep to the right' laws on the freeway.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Well you see the garbage workers strike and the bus boycott were really about the right to go slow in the fast lane unhampered by police...

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Drivers in Western Washington are some of the worst I've encountered anywhere, but I had no idea it was a conscious effort to stick it to the man.

Is this exclusive to the speed limit thing or is it expanded to DUIs, detracted driving and blatantly running red lights?

(I'm from Seattle and was a garbage driver too-the best cure is lots of experience driving anywhere else)

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ElCondemn posted:

When police are murdering people like you by the thousands feel free to lecture me on the virtues of working together instead of calling out these pieces of poo poo for their crimes.

Ok, sure:

CDC posted:

2000 - 2015, United States
Legal Intervention Injury Deaths and Rates per 100,000
White, Both Sexes, All Ages
ICD-10 Codes: Y35,Y89.0

Number of Deaths: 4,819

(Legal intervention refers to deaths due to injuries inflicted by police or other law enforcement agents, including military on duty, in the course of arresting or attempting to arrest lawbreakers, suppressing disturbances, maintaining order, and performing other legal actions. It excludes injuries caused by civil insurrections.)

https://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate.html

Or the WA Posts fatal police shootings database, here.

The data seem to show pretty clearly that there's implicit bias at work, and police perceive unarmed black citizens as greater threats, but characterizing them as pigs who all get their rocks off murdering people of color doesn't seem like a productive line of argument.

WAshington Post posted:

In 2015, The Washington Post launched a real-time database to track fatal police shootings, and the project continues this year. As of Sunday, 1,502 people have been shot and killed by on-duty police officers since Jan. 1, 2015. Of them, 732 were white, and 381 were black (and 382 were of another or unknown race).
The rate is higher for minorities, sure, but acting like people of color are being murdered in the streets while white criminals are given a free pass is a bit ridiculous.

Can we have an actual discussion now , or are you more interested in role-playing the revolution via forum posts?

Anyway, the transcripts from the Charleena Lyles shooting have been released:

Seattle Times posted:

Officer 1: Okay. Was there anything else that was taken or gone through while you were
gone?

LYLES: They went through like this (unintelligible) necklace with my gold...and this bag
that I had open with my clothes and stuff on my bed. And the brown
(unintelligible).

Officer 1: Yeah. So you said a X-Box was taken?

LYLES: Yes.

Officer 1: And then what was the (unintelligible)?

LYLES: (Inaudible)

Officer 2: Get back, get back, get back.

Officer 1: Fast back-up.

Officer 2: Get back.

LYLES: Get ready, motherfuckers.

Officer 2: We need help. (Unintelligible) a woman with two knives.

Officer 1: Hey, get back. Get back.

Officer 2: Get back. Tase her.

Officer 1: I don’t have a taser. Get back, get back.

Officer 1: Get back.

Shots fired....

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-police-transcript-of-fatal-shooting-of-charleena-lyles-i-dont-have-a-taser/
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3869023/SPD-shooting-transcript-June-18-2017.pdf

Maybe someone with more direct knowledge of policing can answer this, but I still don't understand why they strolled up to her apartment like there was nothing to worry about.

Both of the officers mention her mental health issues and an "officer safety caution" in the transcript. Is it asking too much for them to plan ahead and bring along something like a Taser for an interaction like this? Or better yet, a mental health professional?

herbaceous backson fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 22, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Something must be wrong with your request, mine shows these results using the same criteria that you specified.

quote:

2000 - 2015, United States
Legal Intervention Injury Deaths and Rates per 100,000
All Races, Both Sexes, All Ages
ICD-10 Codes: Y35,Y89.0

Number of Deaths: 6,985
Population***: 4,837,059,821
Crude Rate: 0.14
Age-Adjusted Rate**: 0.15

Download Results in a Spreadsheet (CSV) File Help with Download

Reports for All Ages include those of unknown age.

* Rates based on 20 or fewer deaths may be unstable. Use with caution.

** Standard Population is 2000, all races, both sexes.

*** Population estimates are aggregated for multi-year reports to produce rates.

Produced by: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, CDC
Data Source: NCHS Vital Statistics System for numbers of deaths. Bureau of Census for population estimates.

herbaceous backson posted:

Or the WA Posts fatal police shootings database, here.

The data seem to show pretty clearly that there's implicit bias at work, and police perceive unarmed black citizens as greater threats, but characterizing them as pigs who all get their rocks off murdering people of color doesn't seem like a productive line of argument.

The rate is higher for minorities, sure, but acting like people of color are being murdered in the streets while white criminals are given a free pass is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not really sure what your point is? Do you expect me to look at these numbers and think "you know what, it's not so bad"? Do you think my problem is that they're not killing enough white people? I've been very clear that police are targeting both minorities and the poor, but even if they were targeting rich white people I don't see why I should be ok with what they're doing. Maybe if people saw them as pigs who get their rocks off murdering people maybe thousands of people wouldn't be dead?

The fact that people respect police so much that they are allowed to get away with literal murder and people can't stop justifying it is what drives me crazy. It's not even just that they're killing people, they also ruin lives daily and nobody cares. When people like me are asking people to care it's because it doesn't seem like anyone does care. When I speak out about this stuff all I get is people tripping over themselves to show me some proof that it isn't as bad as I think it is, why is that?

sidebar: I think it's hilarious that Mike Huckabee is arguing that "more white people have been shot by police officers", meanwhile any time they want to show how dangerous minorities are they use per-capita stats

Maybe someone with more direct knowledge of policing can answer this, but I still don't understand why they strolled up to her apartment like there was nothing to worry about.

Both of the officers mention her mental health issues and an "officer safety caution" in the transcript. Is it asking too much for them to plan ahead and bring along something like a Taser for an interaction like this? Or better yet, a mental health professional?

Because they are cops and their reaction and training is to kill when they feel afraid.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 22, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

ElCondemn posted:

Because they are cops and their reaction and training is to kill when they feel afraid.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't know you that's my purse *blam* *blam*

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

This is bizarre, because I listened to the audio from that encounter the other day, and this part:

quote:

Officer 1: And then what was the (unintelligible)?

LYLES: (Inaudible)

Officer 2: Get back, get back, get back.

Officer 1: Fast back-up.

LYLES: Get ready, motherfuckers.

Officer 2: We need help. (Unintelligible) a woman with two knives.

Officer 1: Hey, get back. Get back.

Officer 2: Get back. Tase her.

Officer 1: I don’t have a taser. Get back, get back
was simply not in the audio that I heard.

In fact when I heard it, it was "my xbox.." followed by a clattering noise, then "GET BACK!" once or twice, then shots were fired. There was none of this bullshit "a woman with two knives! Use your tazer! I don't have a tazer!" stuff at all. There was no back and forth between the two officers (except for the back and forth before the encounter, when they're talking mad poo poo about the woman they're going to deal with, who they joke about saying her and her children were wolevs and then make another quip about "don't let her behind you!"), and the amount of time between the word "xbox" and the shots being fired, was simply not enough time to have had that much conversation occur. Smells like blue bullshit.

Also, haven't we gotten to the point where cops who don't bother to bring a tazer, are disciplined for not being fully prepared, yet?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 22, 2017

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

coyo7e posted:

This is bizarre, because I listened to the audio from that encounter the other day, and this part:

was simply not in the audio that I heard.

In fact when I heard it, it was "my xbox.." followed by a clattering noise, then "GET BACK!" once or twice, then shots were fired. There was none of this bullshit "a woman with two knives! Use your tazer! I don't have a tazer!" stuff at all. There was no back and forth between the two officers (except for the back and forth before the encounter, when they're talking mad poo poo about the woman they're going to deal with, who they joke about saying her and her children were wolevs and then make another quip about "don't let her behind you!"), and the amount of time between the word "xbox" and the shots being fired, was simply not enough time to have had that much conversation occur. Smells like blue bullshit.

Also, haven't we gotten to the point where cops who don't bother to bring a tazer, are disciplined for not being fully prepared, yet? I'm pretty loving sick of "well I didn't have my tazer on me" as being a valid excuse to escalate to lethal force.

Yeah, WTF, I just listened to the recording here and while I can definitely hear everything else, the "Tase her / I don't have a taser" are just not there.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I listened to the recording the other day and had to go back and re-listen to it because yeah that transcript is 100% wholecloth bullshit. None of what is written past the word "Xbox" is in the recording and it also skips over their weird derogatory little side convo about her.

Gosh, why would they release a false transcript? Could it be they are relying on most people to not actually listen to the recording? :thonking:

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Reene posted:

I listened to the recording the other day and had to go back and re-listen to it because yeah that transcript is 100% wholecloth bullshit. None of what is written past the word "Xbox" is in the recording and it also skips over their weird derogatory little side convo about her.

Gosh, why would they release a false transcript? Could it be they are relying on most people to not actually listen to the recording? :thonking:

There's a better version here:

https://soundcloud.com/seattletimes/police-shooting-of-charleena-lyles

Starting around 3:40, I can hear someone say what sounds like "you ready motherfuckers" , then the word "taser," followed by what sounds like "I don't have a taser."

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/get-back-get-back-seattle-police-release-audio-of-fatal-shooting-of-charleena-lyles/

Did they clean up the audio or something? This one sounds different than the one most of the local news outlets had.

herbaceous backson fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 22, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Yeah it does seem like they released a new version of the audio. I'm tempted to listen to them side by side for comparison but I also don't really want to hear a woman get executed twice.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

You don't use a tazer on a person with a knife in their hand because it doesn't necessarily immobilize the person getting tazed enough to stop them from cutting or stabbing you.

Also the problem is not "too much respect for law enforcement," but rather charging standards set at the state level that make it nearly impossible to prove that an officer acted criminally. While your (as in, non-LENFO) honest mistake about a dangerous situation that caused another person's death might result in a manslaughter charge, the same standard doesn't apply for police officers. Worse, LENFO have a duty to meet violence or the threat of violence with their own, putting them in situations that an average person would rarely find themselves, and until we have body cameras with working mics on every single officer we will never get the full story of any interaction. Because of those factors, even a prosecutor who wants to go after a cop for an unjustified killing knows that proving all the elements will be extremely difficult even under the best of circumstances.

If you want the law changed you should start putting pressure on your state reps and convince your friends and others in your community to do the same. Or start a state wide initiative if your legislators aren't being responsive. Anything else is just feeling better about yourself by posting on a dead gay comedy forum.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I wonder if there will ever be a stop to the posts that assume that we can only do one (1) thing, and that thing we are personally doing is posting on a dead gay comedy forum and literally nothing else

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Reene posted:

I wonder if there will ever be a stop to the posts that assume that we can only do one (1) thing, and that thing we are personally doing is posting on a dead gay comedy forum and literally nothing else

If you aren't posting, you aren't helping.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
you know there are tasers that you can use from a distance, like a gun, that does not kill them, and you don't have to worry about being cut by the person because they are at a distance, as if you had used a gun, but used a taser, which didn't kill them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GodFish posted:

you know there are tasers that you can use from a distance, like a gun, that does not kill them, and you don't have to worry about being cut by the person because they are at a distance, as if you had used a gun, but used a taser, which didn't kill them.
Additionally, the tazers that law enforcement use specifically have a much longer range than the tazers available to the general public.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

therobit posted:

Yes, you do sound like 17 year old with a brand new license so it could be a lack of driving experience.

No seventeen year old has ever been excited about going the speed limit.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

You are allowed to have a club instead of a taser, I believe. Plus you probably only get a reprimand that gets vacated at appeal.

Also, this is beyond gross.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6qtnz0OZ0

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
boy the wa state senate is a piece of poo poo and after we string up all the stupid pigs we should string them up as well for playing with peoples' lives by potentially laying off tens of thousands of state workers.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Reene posted:

ya ok you're right, it was unnecessarily flippant

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

marxismftw posted:

You don't use a tazer on a person with a knife in their hand because it doesn't necessarily immobilize the person getting tazed enough to stop them from cutting or stabbing you.
What exactly does this have to do with the transcript which clearly shows that there was a call to use the tazer, but that the cop didn't have one

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

coyo7e posted:

What exactly does this have to do with the transcript which clearly shows that there was a call to use the tazer, but that the cop didn't have one
Out of context, not much. But as a response to:

It does. Not that he's right, but still.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

rgocs posted:

Out of context, not much. But as a response to:

It does. Not that he's right, but still.
I don't know whether it's good to taser people holding knives, honestly I don't much care about who are the right people to taser (not being an expert in any relevant field), but I don't see how this matters at all. We've got one officer that thinks using a taser is a good idea, we've got another one that doesn't have a taser. Either the person who thinks they should use a taser is an idiot, or the person who failed to bring a taser is an idiot. Which particular person is an idiot shouldn't matter much, what's actually important is that SPD is definitely employing and protecting people who are clearly idiots.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Honestly I think tasers and stun guns are bad things to give to police. Either someone presents enough of a threat that you should shoot them, or else you should try to subdue them with a club or your hands. I remember reading at one time that tasers tend not to be used as a less lethal alternative to firearms, but rather they get used in situations that previously would not have involved firearms and are used as a compliance tool when someone could otherwise be held, talked down, beat up, or possibly even not engaged physically.

edit: there was a ruling about this by the 4th circuit court of appeals. Just google "tasers as compliance tool" or similar and you will see a bunch of articles about this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I've seen the video of the cop tazing that woman who refuses to hang up her phone while he's trying to ticket her, but with the amount of "STOP RESISTING! STOP RESISTING!" bullshit that cops pull whenever someone fails to immediately comply with their (often not-legal or justifiable) orders, I'd rather they have a tazer as an option when it clearly tends to go straight to the gun otherwise.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
And yet here we are now advocating beating people Rodney King style for compliance what a time to be alive!

B-b-but why didn't they just shoot the knife out of her hand?!

This loving thread.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Honestly I think tasers and stun guns are bad things to give to police. Either someone presents enough of a threat that you should shoot them, or else you should try to subdue them with a club or your hands. I remember reading at one time that tasers tend not to be used as a less lethal alternative to firearms, but rather they get used in situations that previously would not have involved firearms and are used as a compliance tool when someone could otherwise be held, talked down, beat up, or possibly even not engaged physically.

edit: there was a ruling about this by the 4th circuit court of appeals. Just google "tasers as compliance tool" or similar and you will see a bunch of articles about this.

Just take their guns away, maybe then they wont stroll into a place like it's no big deal and then freak out and kill someone when things get out of control.

SeaborneClink posted:

And yet here we are now advocating beating people Rodney King style for compliance what a time to be alive!

B-b-but why didn't they just shoot the knife out of her hand?!

This loving thread.

People love to justify police force, they're brainwashed into thinking cops are something they aren't.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 23, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Just take their guns away, maybe then they wont stroll into a place like it's no big deal and then freak out and kill someone when things get out of control.

People love to justify police existence, they're brainwashed into thinking cops are something they aren't.

I like the idea of them generally not carrying and having to get the swat team or whatever if guns are necessary. While we are daydreaming, they should give qoutas to the managers that strongly financially incentivize not calling in the swat team with a direct hit to thier bonus if they do. The same with use of force in general. Make it pay not to use force and you will see them get creative with problem solving.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

So it's the fault of the people getting shot that they got shot. I see.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

So it's the fault of the people getting shot that they got shot. I see.

Who are you responding to here?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Well, that's over now http://www.seattlepi.com/g00/local/article/Seattle-PD-ends-use-of-video-game-channel-amid-11242777.php

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

therobit posted:

Who are you responding to here?

you

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think I just read the hottest take regarding Lyles' shooting.

Don O'Neill: Where is the dad (s)?

When a local journalist calls him out for his racism, he feigns ignorance.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also, for anyone who has ever worked a service industry job with an unpredictable schedule, Oregon might end up passing a bill to require "predictable" schedules http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/06/oregon_senate_passes_bill_to_m.html

While it's a good idea, I also expect to see a lot of waivers/loopholes and a lot of not reporting due to retribution.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The was so loving stupid to discuss that topic like that. When they were talking about public service poo poo like "how to drive in the snow" it's nbd, but this was monumentally stupid.

anthonypants posted:

Also, for anyone who has ever worked a service industry job with an unpredictable schedule, Oregon might end up passing a bill to require "predictable" schedules http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/06/oregon_senate_passes_bill_to_m.html

While it's a good idea, I also expect to see a lot of waivers/loopholes and a lot of not reporting due to retribution.

Ugh, it's limited to businesses with a worldwide employment of 500 or more.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 23, 2017

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

The was so loving stupid to discuss that topic like that. When they were talking about public service poo poo like "how to drive in the snow" it's nbd, but this was monumentally stupid.

Ugh, it's limited to businesses with a worldwide employment of 500 or more.

The 500 employees thing is pretty brutal but it's better than nothing and it could set a useful precedent. It's easier to change the threshold than it is to get it enacted in the first place. Plus, don't some really big companies set things like breaks/lunches based on the state with the strictest rules so that the can have a uniform policy? So this might have benefits for workers nationwide (I'm being way too hopeful, aren't I?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

The 500 employees thing is pretty brutal but it's better than nothing and it could set a useful precedent. It's easier to change the threshold than it is to get it enacted in the first place. Plus, don't some really big companies set things like breaks/lunches based on the state with the strictest rules so that the can have a uniform policy? So this might have benefits for workers nationwide (I'm being way too hopeful, aren't I?).
There are similar laws in other cities/states, and as far as I know getting a reliable work schedule within a reasonable timeframe is still a near impossibility everywhere.