Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

cochise posted:

the gently caress?

I mean they call it "sex" in the article because it's more polite but yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ol Standard Retard posted:

what the gently caress does this even mean, you craven sack of poo poo.

"I don't want to win if it means that I might stop getting campaign donations and gifts from the health insurance industry. Why can't I just win but still get all their money and favors?"

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think Steny really gets to decide this. I mean, for 2018 sure. But, for 2020 when we might actually take power, it will be up to the nominee. And I'd be frankly shocked if the nominee doesn't support a Medicare or Medicaid for all plan.

If the corporate Dems stay in power they won't. Ossof said he wouldn't take "a single step" toward single payer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Why do we need to keep this leadership team in place again?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Party Plane Jones posted:

Oh, in case you forgot

gently caress North Carolina.
https://twitter.com/broadly/status/877962436753727489
Cool so I take it that even though NC surrendered in the civil war, since they did willingly engage in it the US is now allowed to finish dismantling their power structure by overwhelming force?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Didn't practically every major physician and clinical group voice their opposition to this bill? Where are they now?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Javes posted:

Didn't practically every major physician and clinical group voice their opposition to this bill? Where are they now?

It's been like 5 hours give it some time. Some have already released statements.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Hoyer you rodent the "substance" is that it's a regressive pile of trash and should be protested as vexatiously as possible

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ol Standard Retard posted:

what the gently caress does this even mean, you craven sack of poo poo.

For everyone bitching about Pelosi: This guy would take her place.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Easy solution, the women in NC just need to band together and never give consent to anyone to have sex again :downs:

All that would do is fast-track the "Boys Will Be Boys Act" to protect men who just can't control the horrific, barely-restrained criminal impulses that apparently lurk inside all of you.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The NC Governor is a Democrat. Why on Earth would he sign this?

E: Oh, it's been law forever and there are legislators attempting to repeal it. Still loving terrible though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

But he is black.
Show me a white country singer's point of view, and I might believe it after my son dies of a toothache.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Alter Ego posted:

At least read the article. It's due to a lovely decision by the state supreme court decades ago. Some lawmaker is trying to reverse it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Easy solution, the women in NC just need to band together and never give consent to anyone to have sex again :downs:

Then the men will just beat them into saying yes, and that counts:

quote:

One May evening in 1977, Beverly Hester was sexually assaulted. According to the summary included in the North Carolina Supreme Court decision State v. Way, she testified that the perpetrator, Donnie Way, threatened to beat her if she didn't have sex with him while hanging out at a friend's apartment. When she tried to leave the bedroom, he allegedly slapped her in the face.

Hester went on to tell the court that Way penetrated her anally and forced her to perform oral sex on him. She said he began having intercourse with her—though she begged him not to because she was a virgin—but stopped when she complained of severe stomach pains. Later, at the hospital, she told her mother she was raped.

Despite her testimony, the jury appeared to be swayed by the defense's argument that Hester initially agreed to have sex with Way. During deliberations, they returned to ask the judge "whether consent can be withdrawn." The judge noted that it could, especially in cases where intercourse has turned violent and thus "no longer consensual." Way was convicted of second degree rape.

The state Supreme Court, however, disagreed with the lower court's interpretation of withdrawn consent. "If the actual penetration is accomplished with the woman's consent, the accused is not guilty of rape, although he may be guilty of another crime because of his subsequent actions," the High Court wrote.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

happyhippy posted:

But he is black.
Show me a white country singer's point of view, and I might believe it after my son dies of a toothache.

What are the Dixie Chicks up to?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Glazier posted:

If the corporate Dems stay in power they won't. Ossof said he wouldn't take "a single step" toward single payer.

More or less yeah. Mainline Dems fall into a few of the following columns:

1. Pass it in states first! Allows them to pass the buck and not rock the boat with financial backers, and if a state(literally only CA could do this) pulls it off, it will be popular enough that they will have to do support it anyway.

2. We're going to fix the ACA instead of throwing it out for a new program which ignores that they could just expand the already huge single payer programs

3. Who's going to pay for this? We need to be realistic despite it being both very realistic and cheaper.

Oddly enough, all this ends with not loving over a major backer of the party.

So yeah we're basically hosed.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/877976272948740098

I am guided by the beauty of our Senators

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

In Obama's statement about the bill he calls it "mean" in the last sentence. Delicious

edit: not the last sentence

Total Party Kill fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 22, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alter Ego posted:

E: Oh, it's been law forever and there are legislators attempting to repeal it. Still loving terrible though.

Also the NC legislature has a veto-proof Republican majority and has spent most of the time since he was elected trying to remove every power the executive branch holds.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

:psyduck:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alter Ego posted:

For everyone bitching about Pelosi: This guy would take her place.

If you notice, I've been saying that the problem is the entire leadership team, not just Pelosi.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Why do we need to keep this leadership team in place again?

Because they're such great fundraisers! Seriously. That was the excuse during the last leadership election.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Javes posted:

Yes, also insurance companies

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

haveblue posted:

Also the NC legislature has a veto-proof Republican majority and has spent most of the time since he was elected trying to remove every power the executive branch holds.

Why the hell do I live in a country where we cannot get together on something like "rape is bad" :psyduck:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Boon posted:

Yes, also insurance companies

Also the AARP

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

In case you forgot what it was like to have a fully functional adult as president:

Barack Obama posted:

Our politics are divided. They have been for a long time. And while I know that division makes it difficult to listen to Americans with whom we disagree, that’s what we need to do today.

I recognize that repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act has become a core tenet of the Republican Party. Still, I hope that our Senators, many of whom I know well, step back and measure what’s really at stake, and consider that the rationale for action, on health care or any other issue, must be something more than simply undoing something that Democrats did.

We didn’t fight for the Affordable Care Act for more than a year in the public square for any personal or political gain – we fought for it because we knew it would save lives, prevent financial misery, and ultimately set this country we love on a better, healthier course.

Nor did we fight for it alone. Thousands upon thousands of Americans, including Republicans, threw themselves into that collective effort, not for political reasons, but for intensely personal ones – a sick child, a parent lost to cancer, the memory of medical bills that threatened to derail their dreams.

And you made a difference. For the first time, more than ninety percent of Americans know the security of health insurance. Health care costs, while still rising, have been rising at the slowest pace in fifty years. Women can’t be charged more for their insurance, young adults can stay on their parents’ plan until they turn 26, contraceptive care and preventive care are now free. Paying more, or being denied insurance altogether due to a preexisting condition – we made that a thing of the past.

We did these things together. So many of you made that change possible.

At the same time, I was careful to say again and again that while the Affordable Care Act represented a significant step forward for America, it was not perfect, nor could it be the end of our efforts – and that if Republicans could put together a plan that is demonstrably better than the improvements we made to our health care system, that covers as many people at less cost, I would gladly and publicly support it.

That remains true. So I still hope that there are enough Republicans in Congress who remember that public service is not about sport or notching a political win, that there’s a reason we all chose to serve in the first place, and that hopefully, it’s to make people’s lives better, not worse.

But right now, after eight years, the legislation rushed through the House and the Senate without public hearings or debate would do the opposite. It would raise costs, reduce coverage, roll back protections, and ruin Medicaid as we know it. That’s not my opinion, but rather the conclusion of all objective analyses, from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which found that 23 million Americans would lose insurance, to America’s doctors, nurses, and hospitals on the front lines of our health care system.

The Senate bill, unveiled today, is not a health care bill. It’s a massive transfer of wealth from middle-class and poor families to the richest people in America. It hands enormous tax cuts to the rich and to the drug and insurance industries, paid for by cutting health care for everybody else. Those with private insurance will experience higher premiums and higher deductibles, with lower tax credits to help working families cover the costs, even as their plans might no longer cover pregnancy, mental health care, or expensive prescriptions. Discrimination based on pre-existing conditions could become the norm again. Millions of families will lose coverage entirely.

Simply put, if there’s a chance you might get sick, get old, or start a family – this bill will do you harm. And small tweaks over the course of the next couple weeks, under the guise of making these bills easier to stomach, cannot change the fundamental meanness at the core of this legislation.

I hope our Senators ask themselves – what will happen to the Americans grappling with opioid addiction who suddenly lose their coverage? What will happen to pregnant mothers, children with disabilities, poor adults and seniors who need long-term care once they can no longer count on Medicaid? What will happen if you have a medical emergency when insurance companies are once again allowed to exclude the benefits you need, send you unlimited bills, or set unaffordable deductibles? What impossible choices will working parents be forced to make if their child’s cancer treatment costs them more than their life savings?

To put the American people through that pain – while giving billionaires and corporations a massive tax cut in return – that’s tough to fathom. But it’s what’s at stake right now. So it remains my fervent hope that we step back and try to deliver on what the American people need.

That might take some time and compromise between Democrats and Republicans. But I believe that’s what people want to see. I believe it would demonstrate the kind of leadership that appeals to Americans across party lines. And I believe that it’s possible – if you are willing to make a difference again. If you’re willing to call your members of Congress. If you are willing to visit their offices. If you are willing to speak out, let them and the country know, in very real terms, what this means for you and your family.

After all, this debate has always been about something bigger than politics. It’s about the character of our country – who we are, and who we aspire to be. And that’s always worth fighting for.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 22, 2017

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Mulva posted:

He could announce he's planning to retire after the 2018 elections, which could be helpful.
Sure in an alternate universe where Texas elects a blue Senator

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mcmagic posted:

If you notice, I've been saying that the problem is the entire leadership team, not just Pelosi.

do you have a sustainable solution that includes who would take their place and how or do you just enjoy jerking off with sandpaper a lot or what

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Alter Ego posted:

Why the hell do I live in a country where we cannot get together on something like "rape is bad" :psyduck:

One party is run by the Christian equivalent of ISIS and the other is too afraid of losing money and power to challenge them.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Skippy Granola posted:

Hoyer you rodent the "substance" is that it's a regressive pile of trash and should be protested as vexatiously as possible

You know he's next in line if Pelosi gets ousted right?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
This bill is going to murder the R House and may even make Cruz's seat vulnerable in 2018. It does nothing to stabilize the market. It does nothing to help with premiums next year which will go up 20-40%. When the premium savings finally kick in, that's when the subsidies go away and Medicaid gets gutted.

This will probably be the greatest self own bill I've seen in my lifetime.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Glazier posted:

One party is run by the Christian equivalent of ISIS

Malory Archer runs the Republican Party? A whole lot of poo poo just started making sense. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lote posted:

This will probably be the greatest self own bill I've seen in my lifetime.

It will own poor, sick, and old people much more vigorously than it will the Senators who wrote it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Malory Archer runs the Republican Party? A whole lot of poo poo just started making sense. :v:

Nah she just runs the Department of Education.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

skylined! posted:

do you have a sustainable solution that includes who would take their place and how or do you just enjoy jerking off with sandpaper a lot or what

Literally anyone with a spine. I could do a loving better job.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dietrich posted:

In case you forgot what it was like to have a fully functional adult as president:

Came here to post this

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Nah she just runs the Department of Education.

Don't compare Malory Archer to Betsy DeVos, that's insulting. Malory Archer is at least functionally intelligent.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

nine-gear crow posted:

Don't compare Malory Archer to Betsy DeVos, that's insulting. Malory Archer is at least functionally intelligent.

She even kills the right people sometimes!

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The bill won't make premiums go up so much as it will make coverage options lovely again. Except for old people and people with pre-existing conditions, who will be turbo-hosed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

DeVos + Erik Prince = Malory Archer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

The last 8 years have proven that there are no consequences for what the GOP says, regardless if it's hypocritical in nature or completely untrue. There's just no meaningful scrutiny over their words that makes them accountable to it, so why bother being honest?

• Locked thread