Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is making people think that Kennedys shindig has anything to do with a retirement announcement? Is this what justices do when they want to announce that sort of thing or is it just "Kennedy does a thing that might mean a thing" and we're worrying about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Literally anyone with a spine. I could do a loving better job.

Nah, odds are you couldn't manage a little league team, much less a bunch of fickle, pissbaby Democrats ready to chuck you under the bus at the first mention of your name on the opposition's lips.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lote posted:

This bill is going to murder the R House and may even make Cruz's seat vulnerable in 2018.

Prove it. I don't believe that anything matters to GOP congresspeople getting re-elected other than pandering to the right wing and scapegoating. Their base will eat this up thinking it's good for them and be too stupid to realize who really poisoned them.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Reik posted:

It is my professional opinion as a credentialed Actuary that this healthcare bill is terrible.

Every GOP Member of the Senate: "Well, actuary,"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boon posted:

Nah, odds are you couldn't manage a little league team, much less a bunch of fickle, pissbaby Democrats ready to chuck you under the bus at the first mention of your name on the opposition's lips.

If only Pelosi had said "the Democratic Party is the Party of anti-capitalists" Ossoff would have won!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really want Obama to take his pleas of cooperation and bipartisanship and shove it up his own rear end. He still doesn't get it. Its DEAD. These people are the enemy. There's no working with them, reasoning with them, hoping they see the light and do the right thing for their fellow American. gently caress, son. Not realizing this got us here.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Literally anyone with a spine. I could do a loving better job.

such nuance

such skill and thought

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

skylined! posted:

do you have a sustainable solution that includes who would take their place and how or do you just enjoy jerking off with sandpaper a lot or what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chcc_Ci36Vw

Pollyanna posted:

Prove it. I don't believe that anything matters to GOP congresspeople getting re-elected other than pandering to the right wing and scapegoating. Their base will eat this up thinking it's good for them and be too stupid to realize who really poisoned them.

This person gets it!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Glazier posted:

If the corporate Dems stay in power they won't. Ossof said he wouldn't take "a single step" toward single payer.

Well luckily we get to decide the nominee so can you please gently caress off with this "Dems are the real evil" bullshit?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Pollyanna posted:

Who will people blame when their insurance premiums go up? It's going to be Congress and Trump. They can try to blame Obama but that is going to be less effective the longer that Trumpcare is in place.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lote posted:

Who will people blame when their insurance premiums go up? It's going to be Congress and Trump. They can try to blame Obama but that is going to be less effective the longer that Trumpcare is in place.

Why not blame poor people for using too much healthcare?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is making people think that Kennedys shindig has anything to do with a retirement announcement? Is this what justices do when they want to announce that sort of thing or is it just "Kennedy does a thing that might mean a thing" and we're worrying about that?

Kennedy changed the date of his regular get togethers he has with former clerks. At first people thought he wasn't going to have it at all, then he said he changed it to be on some anniversary date so people think he might announce he is retiring. It's all speculation

he also delayed in hiring clerks I believe. people thought he wasn't going to hire any clerks, which would have been a big indication he was planning on retiring

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I really want Obama to take his pleas of cooperation and bipartisanship and shove it up his own rear end. He still doesn't get it. Its DEAD. These people are the enemy. There's no working with them, reasoning with them, hoping they see the light and do the right thing for their fellow American. gently caress, son. Not realizing this got us here.

That's not going to happen.

That's not Obama's world view.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Well luckily we get to decide the nominee so can you please gently caress off with this "Dems are the real evil" bullshit?

They aren't evil but their incompetence directly leads to evil happening so...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Is there a medical term for having total absence of imagination?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

That's not going to happen.

That's not Obama's world view.

I know it's not. I wish it was true, but drat. Definition of insanity and all that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

Kennedy changed the date of his regular get togethers he has with former clerks. At first people thought he wasn't going to have it at all, then he said he changed it to be on some anniversary date so people think he might announce he is retiring. It's all speculation

Yes but are get togethers like these a common occurrence for justices or is Kennedy doing something special?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/877982307168079872

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

You know he's next in line if Pelosi gets ousted right?

Oh no I'm not opening that box of feces.

His statement was callow and I hated it

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Lote posted:

Republicans in Louisiana were polled in 2009 and asked who they blame for the Katrina response in 2005. A plurality said Obama.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I know it's not. I wish it was true, but drat. Definition of insanity and all that.

What do you want him to do, run a millitary coup?

The only way this bill stops is if Republican senators hear and decide to listen to a bunch of their own constiutents shouting at them to stop. Obama rallying partisan opposition only entrenches partisan battle lines - and a partisan battle is literally, mathematically impossible for congressional dems to win as things stand.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Im pretty sure a former President actively demonizing ideological opponents is a surefire way to violence, blame, counterblame, and more violence.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lote posted:

This bill is going to murder the R House and may even make Cruz's seat vulnerable in 2018. It does nothing to stabilize the market. It does nothing to help with premiums next year which will go up 20-40%. When the premium savings finally kick in, that's when the subsidies go away and Medicaid gets gutted.

This will probably be the greatest self own bill I've seen in my lifetime.

The market will dip for one day, then all medical stocks will surge on the thought of all the extra savings and money to be made on increased premiums and loving over the poor.
Premiums will still go up, and no voter will give a poo poo until their family starts dying. and even then the majority will believe that its due to it not being deregulated enough.
This is a downward spiral folks, only way to climb out is a wall built out of cancer corpses of kids.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

EwokEntourage posted:

If Kennedy announced he was planning to retire on February 1st, 2020, on a Monday morning I bet the GOP would already be moving to pre-approve his replacement by Wednesday night. Like, literally, I think they would try to confirm the next guy before Kennedy is even off the bench.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

happyhippy posted:

The market will dip for one day, then all medical stocks will surge on the thought of all the extra savings and money to be made on increased premiums and loving over the poor.

What?

Med devices companies predicate their entire business on reimbursement. In a big way, so do pharma. Then there's the hospital networks themselves, all the derivative jobs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lote posted:

This bill is going to murder the R House and may even make Cruz's seat vulnerable in 2018. It does nothing to stabilize the market. It does nothing to help with premiums next year which will go up 20-40%. When the premium savings finally kick in, that's when the subsidies go away and Medicaid gets gutted.

This will probably be the greatest self own bill I've seen in my lifetime.

I have no idea why you are so sure about that. Republican voters seem to care just as much, if not more, about doing things that make liberals sad than about keeping their health insurance.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Republicans in Louisiana were polled in 2009 and asked who they blame for the Katrina response in 2005. A plurality said Obama.

I didn't believe it so I looked it up and

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/poll-louisiana-gopers-unsure-if-katrina-response-was-obama-s-fault

quote:

Twenty-eight percent said they think former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time, was more responsible for the poor federal response while 29 percent said Obama, who was still a freshman U.S. Senator when the storm battered the Gulf Coast in 2005, was more responsible. Nearly half of Louisiana Republicans — 44 percent — said they aren’t sure who to blame.

29% thought the blame rested on Obama, over 28% who thought it rested on Bush.

1% more people thought Obama, then senator, held the blame over the sitting president.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes but are get togethers like these a common occurrence for justices or is Kennedy doing something special?

I don't know about the other justices, this was something that Kennedy had been doing every so many years for quite a while. I was wrong tho, he had it a year earlier instead of a year later, and did some other things different.

its above the law, so take with a grain of salt, but it runs thru the rumors
http://abovethelaw.com/2016/11/anatomy-of-a-rumor-on-justice-kennedys-retirement-next-year/

Cabbit posted:

If Kennedy announced he was planning to retire on February 1st, 2020, on a Monday morning I bet the GOP would already be moving to pre-approve his replacement by Wednesday night. Like, literally, I think they would try to confirm the next guy before Kennedy is even off the bench.
They'd pressure him to retire earlier, and he is a conservative, so if they convinced him that they'd appoint someone reasonable, they probably could. I don't think he'd announce a retirement several years in advance tho. I think he'd just announce it at the end of a term.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Spiritus Nox posted:

What do you want him to do, run a millitary coup?

Ok but hear me out...

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

gently caress these people, I am so glad I left the Democratic party.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Boris Galerkin posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/poll-louisiana-gopers-unsure-if-katrina-response-was-obama-s-fault

1% more people thought Obama, then senator, held the blame over the sitting president.

25% of people believed Nixon did no wrong the day he resigned.

Why not instead try to recalibrate your expectations instead of constantly being flabbergasted when it turns out people aren't rational

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glazier posted:

None of those talking points are wrong. The AHCA is a bigger deal than trying to unseat Pelosi right now.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

So the Republicans are (successfully) making the conversation in elections about Pelosi, and her response is to go along with it? That seems a bad idea, wouldn't it be better to, you know, not play their game?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Boris Galerkin posted:

And you can bet a good chunk of that 44% are the type to latch on to even the smallest kernel of truth tucked into a giant lie in order to back conservative ideals. To top it off, we're much more polarized now than when that survey was taken.

EDIT: I mean look at what's happening re: the Senate Healthcare Bill. The RW propaganda machine is so strong that one of the main headlines today is about Nancy Pelosi. Nancy loving Pelosi when the Senate Bill has been shown to be perhaps the most ghoulish legislation proposed since Reconstruction.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

What I don't understand is how do they think this will work for them long term ? Like, if poo poo gets really bad, what's to stop poor desperate former military for not just targeting the senators who vote yes on this bill? Them and their families? People like Mitch are painting a huge target on their backs.

I am in no way advocating violence. But I'm a writer, and it's really not hard to see how stupid this is. Yes, the guy last week was unhinged and thank god he was stopped. But what if it's a former marine who's daughters dead because he can't afford cancer treatment?

Long term this poo poo does not go well for them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

29%

This is still stupid as hell but you have to keep in mind that even by 2009 people all over LA were still suffering from the immediate effects of Katrina. To many of them having received so little help disillusioned them about whoever was in charge at that moment which was now Obama. They looked at how it had been 4 years and they were still struggling and were now blaming Obama for not finally stepping in and helping them.

It's not rational but there is some reasoning behind it. And by the way, a ton of LA is still dealing with Katrina to this day.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Glazier posted:

Can you leave this thread, too?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Thaddius the Large posted:

So the Republicans are (successfully) making the conversation in elections about Pelosi, and her response is to go along with it? That seems a bad idea, wouldn't it be better to, you know, not play their game?

How do you propose she does that when idiots in her own party listen to the GOP talking points about her.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ol Standard Retard posted:

what the gently caress does this even mean, you craven sack of poo poo.

it means they want to do things that focus on how horrid the bill is rather than on the democrats opposing it

it may not be as good political strategy for 2018 but its better strategy for killing the bill itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LionArcher posted:

What I don't understand is how do they think this will work for them long term ? Like, if poo poo gets really bad, what's to stop poor desperate former military for not just targeting the senators who vote yes on this bill? Them and their families? People like Mitch are painting a huge target on their backs.

I am in no way advocating violence. But I'm a writer, and it's really not hard to see how stupid this is. Yes, the guy last week was unhinged and thank god he was stopped. But what if it's a former marine who's daughters dead because he can't afford cancer treatment?

Long term this poo poo does not go well for them.

They're not having public town halls anymore, they're asking for more armed guards. They know the risk but they also know the police state is mighty fine.

• Locked thread