Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah I like Dan but this election definitely broke his brain (and in fairness he's not alone), I've found myself just stopping the podcast after he starts in on politics (usually doesn't take long), and I had to mute him after he started retweeting the Game Theory guy and defending Louise "The Ferguson Riots Were Actually a Russian Plot" Mensch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I like Harmontown and it's still my favorite podcast, I like it so much that I often watch the live stream and enjoy it like I'm there.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When I first discovered Harmontown maybe 6ish weeks ago I started by listening to a bunch of old podcasts and then recommending it to all my friends before listening to the recent ones. I didn't finish the last two and haven't even started on this week's, and I'm awkwardly hoping none of my friends bring it up again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where the gently caress is Jeff?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElCondemn posted:

I like Harmontown and it's still my favorite podcast, I like it so much that I often watch the live stream and enjoy it like I'm there.

:same:

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM

Guy Goodbody posted:

Missing, but in fairness I sort of love the energy that Brandon Johnson brings. Though with Stoller this week.. he was a bit subdued and I think Jeff would've been better with this type of guest.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wagnike2 posted:

Missing, but in fairness I sort of love the energy that Brandon Johnson brings. Though with Stoller this week.. he was a bit subdued and I think Jeff would've been better with this type of guest.

I dunno, I love Fred Stoller and thought it was pretty cool that he got a lot of time to talk. I've always thought he was just good at talking and being funny.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Whose Live is touring and Whose Line is probably taping right now.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

prefect posted:

I dunno, I love Fred Stoller and thought it was pretty cool that he got a lot of time to talk. I've always thought he was just good at talking and being funny.

Yeah, I'm surprised Dan let him talk as much as he did. He's got great stories.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElCondemn posted:

He's also got that Joel Hodgson/Norm Macdonald thing where it's just funny to hear somebody else do an impression of his voice. :allears:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

When I first discovered Harmontown maybe 6ish weeks ago I started by listening to a bunch of old podcasts and then recommending it to all my friends before listening to the recent ones. I didn't finish the last two and haven't even started on this week's, and I'm awkwardly hoping none of my friends bring it up again.

I've not been that down on it but I couldn't finish last weeks either. 20 straight minutes of Dan trying to figure out why journalists exist was boring as gently caress.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

ElCondemn posted:

Wut? I was loving dying when they kept trampling over his stories, especially when he was talking about getting his break on Seinfeld. No wonder they didn't understand what he meant when they were too busy shoehorning lovely jokes in constantly.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Ah, Fred Stoller always the casual racist.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Best reference in the episode with zero laughs, comparing Jeff to Ulysses.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yay, the power trio is back! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what aspects of Dan's character get sanded down or completely forgot about. A sociopathic former child prostitute who found a moral framework in a religion based around destroying evil who has been transferred to the sticks because his obsession with destroying evil went too far for the religion based on that but also never wants to kill people because he's haunted by the voices of everyone he's killed and can only quiet them by not killing and also he's crippled and requires magical leg braces to move

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yay, the power trio is back! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what aspects of Dan's character get sanded down or completely forgot about. A sociopathic former child prostitute who found a moral framework in a religion based around destroying evil who has been transferred to the sticks because his obsession with destroying evil went too far for the religion based on that but also never wants to kill people because he's haunted by the voices of everyone he's killed and can only quiet them by not killing and also he's crippled and requires magical leg braces to move

Not unique enough.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I'm behind and wow this magenta lady is not a good listen

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Evil Agita posted:

I'm behind and wow this magenta lady is not a good listen

It's very frustrating whern Dan's asking "how do you do these things?" and she says "you just do them" -- she doesn't understand what he's really asking about. She does get better later in the show, though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I still can't believe they pulled Spencer out of the audience. He's so great as a stage presence. :allears:

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

prefect posted:

I still can't believe they pulled Spencer out of the audience. He's so great as a stage presence. :allears:

He's so good that it's driven Dan to spend years trying to hit that jackpot again but it's been nothin' but brokebrains since

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just started this week's episode and Dan is pissing me off.
He wanted a gun so bad, waited something like 6 months to pick it up and thinks wad cutters are more lethal than hollow points.
Do just a little bit of research, you goon.

I was on a murder trial and had to stop everyone and explain that hollow points for defense is better BECAUSE they are more lethal. "Shoot only to kill" was a wild concept to them. They thought using cutters to shoot someone a bunch but maybe not kill them was better.
gently caress.

Edit: Trial, not trail.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 22, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

He wanted a gun so bad, waited something like 6 months to pick it up and thinks wad cutters are more lethal than hollow points.

I was on a murder trail and had to stop everyone and explain that hollow points for defense is better BECAUSE they are more lethal. "Shoot only to kill" was a wild concept to them. They thought using cutters to shoot someone a bunch but maybe not kill them was better.
gently caress.

I hope that I have the time one day to hike the murder trail. Maybe when I retire.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Inzombiac posted:

I was on a murder trail and had to stop everyone and explain that hollow points for defense is better BECAUSE they are more lethal. "Shoot only to kill" was a wild concept to them. They thought using cutters to shoot someone a bunch but maybe not kill them was better.
gently caress.

I read somewhere on these forums that the military doesn't use hollow-point bullets because it would be a war crime. (I am not a gun person.) Do you know if that's accurate?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

prefect posted:

I read somewhere on these forums that the military doesn't use hollow-point bullets because it would be a war crime. (I am not a gun person.) Do you know if that's accurate?

Kinda.
Think of it this way:
If you are shooting someone, you're only allowed to shoot if you intend to kill, full stop.
Intentionally maiming someone it akin to torture and not allowed.
So if you have unlimited funds, your guns will have FMJ or any other type of high velocity/high rotation round. This means that the rotational force is enough to blow a massive hole in your target and very likely kill them.

On the civilian side where getting those types of bullets and the hardware to use them is next to impossible (by access or price) hollow points become the best option. A target round just goes right through a person for, relatively speaking, very little damage. A HP round explodes inside the body and shreds organs, probably killing them.
Again, if you shoot someone, the law says you can only do so with the intent to kill.

Edit:
Additionally, you get into funny rounds like .22. They are low velocity and low rotation. They are sometimes referred to as "Hitman Bullets" because they have enough power to enter the skull but not enough to escape so they bounce around and turn your brain to mush.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Dan and The Gun is the dumbest/funniest thing. He's so scared of The World that he wanted to get a gun, but he's also so scared of not being seen as woke so he keeps trying to downplay it and be all aloof about it so he's still cool to his audience. At some point he's actively endangering himself with that thing.

"They're small rockets!"

There's something ironic about a writer introducing a gun and then desperately trying to downplay it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Inzombiac posted:

Kinda.
Think of it this way:
If you are shooting someone, you're only allowed to shoot if you intend to kill, full stop.
Intentionally maiming someone it akin to torture and not allowed.
So if you have unlimited funds, your guns will have FMJ or any other type of high velocity/high rotation round. This means that the rotational force is enough to blow a massive hole in your target and very likely kill them.

On the civilian side where getting those types of bullets and the hardware to use them is next to impossible (by access or price) hollow points become the best option. A target round just goes right through a person for, relatively speaking, very little damage. A HP round explodes inside the body and shreds organs, probably killing them.
Again, if you shoot someone, the law says you can only do so with the intent to kill.

Edit:
Additionally, you get into funny rounds like .22. They are low velocity and low rotation. They are sometimes referred to as "Hitman Bullets" because they have enough power to enter the skull but not enough to escape so they bounce around and turn your brain to mush.

Oh my god this is so wrong it defies words. Like, it isn't as out and out wrong as it is amazingly misunderstood with some classical gun mythos thrown in. Are you trolling?

But before I go and waste time and besserwisser this, is anyone interested in actually reading that? Otherwise there's always a FAQ/newbie thread in TFR if you want to learn about this stuff.

Just this point thou: You are only allowed by the law to shoot someone if you are defending someones life and can justify and prove that in a court of law, facing people who rightly will put you on trial for murder.

(Unless you're a cop who shoot black people)(Also Dan shouldn't be allowed to have a gun because he will be a danger to everyone and himself)(Kinda like cops)

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 22, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm kinda curious about it, but don't post about it here. I'll go to TFR if I really want to know.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

(Also Dan shouldn't be allowed to have a gun because he will be a danger to everyone and himself)

I was hoping the "I bought a gun and it's at the gun store and I just haven't picked it up" thing would continue indefinitely. :)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jeff got punched and his nose broken at a Nick Cave concert and nobody seems to give a drat. Did I miss the part where they were talking about this or are they just trying to act as if it's not a big deal?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Jeff got punched and his nose broken at a Nick Cave concert and nobody seems to give a drat. Did I miss the part where they were talking about this or are they just trying to act as if it's not a big deal?

Dan is such a narcissist that he probably thinks Jeff got punched on purpose to be more interesting than Dan.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElCondemn posted:

Dan is such a narcissist that he probably thinks Jeff got punched on purpose to be more interesting than Dan.

One of my favorite moments in the podcast was when Jeff asked Dan and Spencer if they had the power to instantly teleport to one place whenever they wanted, what would that place be. They talked about that for awhile and Dan came up with an answer and Spencer had an answer, and they were about to move on and Spencer said, wait we haven't heard Jeff's answer. And Dan said "Because we know what his answer will be! 'There's this little cafe on a backstreet in Milan that makes the best crepes in the world'"

Jeff made a joke about it but you could tell that Dan was absolutely correct.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of my favorite moments in the podcast was when Jeff asked Dan and Spencer if they had the power to instantly teleport to one place whenever they wanted, what would that place be. They talked about that for awhile and Dan came up with an answer and Spencer had an answer, and they were about to move on and Spencer said, wait we haven't heard Jeff's answer. And Dan said "Because we know what his answer will be! 'There's this little cafe on a backstreet in Milan that makes the best crepes in the world'"

Jeff made a joke about it but you could tell that Dan was absolutely correct.

I mean, not absolutely correct because he didn't include what celebrity he had crepes with there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, not absolutely correct because he didn't include what celebrity he had crepes with there.

And afterwards, the celebrity said "Thank you".

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Remix that Jeff only played part of: https://soundcloud.com/koresh-hellwraith/stuttr-fuk-ft-dan-harmon-remix

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're putting commercial breaks in the D&D segment now, and I am unhappy

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Spencer is the guest on this week's Hollywood Handbook, which is a show you should already be listening to so I don't even know why I'm plugging it. Listen if you want to hear him and the boys make fun of Dan Harmin' and then do some pretty good D&D.

Also tangential but Gourley was on last week and was forced to watch his podcast be done better right in front of him. He got podcucked.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Yay, a person to poo poo on Bernie Sanders. :rolleye: :jerkoff:

:laffo: Jeff failed to detect that the cow was dead. :newlol:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 19, 2017

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

prefect posted:

Yay, a person to poo poo on Bernie Sanders. :rolleye: :jerkoff:

Yea I skipped past and that whole discussion was more than a loving hour. Hillary is a warhawk girl, dunno why you feel so betrayed in the primaries that people wouldn't vote for her.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
that guest was a bit nutty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I haven't listened in a long time. I didn't realize they started doing D&D again. What episode did they bring it back?