Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The other upside to PVP is that you get wolf marks so you can start getting some of the really slick pvp outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Unfortunately, it means I can't be a Scholar wearing fending right-side anymore in pvp :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, gear has literally no influence on your stats. It's entirely cosmetic. Every instance of a job you see has the same stats, +/- their pvp traits.

Between making every player equally situated (class balance aside) and scaling down the number of abilities that you have to juggle, it's made me actually give a poo poo about playing it. It's nice and completely unexpected, I feel like PVP was always a backburner thing for this game.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, gear has literally no influence on your stats. It's entirely cosmetic. Every instance of a job you see has the same stats, +/- their pvp traits.

Yep. PVP skill potency can basically just be called "the amount of damage you do." the only RNG element is that damage variance still exists. Auto Attacks are gone, crits don't trigger. Combos don't require resources so you'll never worry about running dry and becoming useless. TP and MP are now just used for abilities and attacks critical to your burst damage as a limiter to prevent spamming them on cooldown.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 22, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been running PVP a bunch and haven't looked back at potd tbh.

The whole rethinking of TP and MP costs, and how your basic actions don't usually use resources, really changes up the game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Has anybody verified whether or not you can still get credit towards the Garo mounts in SB? If so, does the Feast give any meaningful xp or only Frontlines?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thundarr posted:

Has anybody verified whether or not you can still get credit towards the Garo mounts in SB? If so, does the Feast give any meaningful xp or only Frontlines?

My achievement progress ticked up, so it looks like you still do. I've only played frontlines though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Feast exp is pretty small. I think a single training match gave my 53 SAM 50k exp. Although, I had a match yesterday last all of 90 seconds.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My only complaint about pvp is that I suck at it

When I play casters, melee classes literally run circles around me and I miss half my casts. When I play melee, everybody runs away from me and I can't actually hit anything. I've mostly just been following the largest group of teammates that I can find and been trying to vaguely do the same thing that they've been doing.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Thundarr posted:

The Feast gives about 2 quests worth of exp for at most 8 minutes of work. I personally like it more that 72 man shatter roulette. Also you CAN still get credit towards the garo mounts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PVP definitely has a rhythm that takes some time to adjust to, especially as a caster. Doing Shatter, for instance, you can get away with very little actual pvp action and focus on the objective and get a win. Many teams get caught in the quagmire of duking it out in the center of the map. That's how you lose!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

SettingSun posted:

PVP definitely has a rhythm that takes some time to adjust to, especially as a caster. Doing Shatter, for instance, you can get away with very little actual pvp action and focus on the objective and get a win. Many teams get caught in the quagmire of duking it out in the center of the map. That's how you lose!

At the the same time when doing big Ice if you can pick off low HP DPS being hit by AOE you can give your team an edge. Specially if you get someone in battle high or fever.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm learning that as rdm, you have to be hella careful about using your melee combo on players, because they can just run away into their team blob and your choices are to run into your certain death trying to finish the combo, or bugging out and swallowing the fact that you just spent 75 mana on one hit

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thanks guys. I guess I'll finally get around too attempting the Feast in the first place. Worst case scenario is I have to do it 60 times for the mount, right? :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm learning that as rdm, you have to be hella careful about using your melee combo on players, because they can just run away into their team blob and your choices are to run into your certain death trying to finish the combo, or bugging out and swallowing the fact that you just spent 75 mana on one hit

That's why you dash in and hit them with the Heavy inducing attack Flunge first.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ainsley McTree posted:

Use your snare before you begin your combo.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

PVP is Just OK as long as you don't have eight people AFK at base since it gives such good XP

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

You get the same XP win or lose so it doesn't matter. Hell, help the side that's ahead win so it ends faster.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Is Monk really bad at PVP or am I really bad at PVP?

The answer is probably me or both

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

For Red Mage pvp additional abilities, I totally recommend Concentration and Safeguard. Stun/silence/bind/heavy immunity for 10s with Concentration, and 25% Mitigation with Safeguard. Pop them when you Corps a Corp and they should still be up when you Displacement. Grab up the ability recasts trait too, its 20% faster cooldown on those. Weave in Flunge between your melee combo hits for the heavy. Can also grab a Paladin friend and ask for shield bash when they see you dive in.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 22, 2017

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it's not your drivers or anything, it's FF14 doing it. But everyone says it's related to an interaction between DX11 and screen overlays Square hasn't fixed for years.

Windows 10 has an automatic overlay in games with the Xbox app. Nvidia cards with Geforce Experience have one too, I don't know if AMD has a similar thing. But for mine I disabled the Nvidia overlay and removed the Xbox app and haven't had one of those crashes since.

You need to put:
code:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage
...into an admin Powershell to remove it.

So I did this myself because I'd had the game crash on my before in the past and figured it couldn't hurt.

But now I'm suddenly having fatal directx crashes trying to launch the game at all. Not sure why that would cause this but I've tried a number of things to fix it with no dice.

EDIT: And then a graphics driver update fixed it. Computers are mystical.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 22, 2017

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

Is Monk really bad at PVP or am I really bad at PVP?

The answer is probably me or both

A monk can put out a ludicrous burst with Riddle into TFC+Tornado, and it has relatively little windup thanks to Form Shift, but you have no CC and wind tackle's animation lock means you're really reliant on other people helping you stick to targets. You're still free to baleet people nonstop in Shatter, because nobody is paying attention.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

That's why you dash in and hit them with the Heavy inducing attack Flunge first.

Lemon King posted:

Use your snare before you begin your combo.

Skaw posted:

For Red Mage pvp additional abilities, I totally recommend Concentration and Safeguard. Stun/silence/bind/heavy immunity for 10s with Concentration, and 25% Mitigation with Safeguard. Pop them when you Corps a Corp and they should still be up when you Displacement. Grab up the ability recasts trait too, its 20% faster cooldown on those. Weave in Flunge between your melee combo hits for the heavy. Can also grab a Paladin friend and ask for shield bash when they see you dive in.

What has two thumbs and didn't read the tooltip for flunge very closely

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Feels bad when you run out of leves. :negative:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
From a few pages back, but if you think Doma's Theme from FF 3/6 is the most blatant reference to that game in SB wait until you get to the level 69 dungeon. The cart did not stop rolling.

Number XXIV is pretty much perfect down to the name!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Stupid question. I have a Fisher at level 62 but no other DoH/L, can someone explain the Scrip system? Every collectible I have gives red scrips, but everyone talks about blue scrips and I don't see a way to get those.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Demicol posted:

Stupid question. I have a Fisher at level 62 but no other DoH/L, can someone explain the Scrip system? Every collectible I have gives red scrips, but everyone talks about blue scrips and I don't see a way to get those.

Blue were the uncapped heavensward scrips that are no longer given out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So I did this myself because I'd had the game crash on my before in the past and figured it couldn't hurt.

But now I'm suddenly having fatal directx crashes trying to launch the game at all. Not sure why that would cause this but I've tried a number of things to fix it with no dice.

EDIT: And then a graphics driver update fixed it. Computers are mystical.

There seems to be 2 issues.

One is an AMD thing, which doesn't have a set solution that works for everyone. Except dropping to DX9 which isn't ideal, but works for most.

The other is where you get a crash and a bunch of ffxiv-dx11.exe+(numbers) error codes. The latter mostly seems to be solved by disabling all your overlays.

In any case turning off Microsoft's dumb Xbox thing is a plus regardless.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Boogalo posted:

You get the same XP win or lose so it doesn't matter. Hell, help the side that's ahead win so it ends faster.

This is why i'm hoping they'll severely nerf PvP EXP

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...Helms and hoods in this game have little poke-out bits or holes on races with big ears that stick out. It's adorable and hilarious.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Don't say that, PVP is in a really good spot right now. My experience hasn't really seen any (obvious) throwing of games for exp.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I got my appearance data saved for when I get up at 4:30 tomorrow morning and try to make an Excalibur character lol. I guess tonight I'll just play something else. Goodness knows I have a completely heinous backlog of games.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cythereal posted:

...Helms and hoods in this game have little poke-out bits or holes on races with big ears that stick out. It's adorable and hilarious.

It's absolutely one of the things I miss the most about being a cat.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Don't say that, PVP is in a really good spot right now. My experience hasn't really seen any (obvious) throwing of games for exp.

It's funny because the simple fix would be to give experience to the winners, and then give reduced experienced to second place, and further reduced experience to last place. Kind of like how PvP exp and Wolf Marks rewards are already handled.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vOv posted:

It's absolutely one of the things I miss the most about being a cat.

I'm playing an elf. She has little ear pocket things sticking out of her hood.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

Didn't you just start playing? :confused: Or have you been playing and just only now rolled on Excalibur?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think I can go ahead and add The Naadam to my list of instances I wish I could replay. That was some fun poo poo. Stormblood has been so drat great.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Didn't you just start playing? :confused: Or have you been playing and just only now rolled on Excalibur?

Yeah, i just started playing a bit over two years ago, but knew someone who wanted to get on Excal.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Freak Futanari posted:

It's funny because the simple fix would be to give experience to the winners, and then give reduced experienced to second place, and further reduced experience to last place. Kind of like how PvP exp and Wolf Marks rewards are already handled.

Which would be really lovely. The fact that character advancement is static but you get more PvP rewards the better you do at PvP is a good thing. Right now it's competitive with other ways to level, which helps bring people into something that the majority of players ignored before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

DemonMage posted:

Which would be really lovely. The fact that character advancement is static but you get more PvP rewards the better you do at PvP is a good thing. Right now it's competitive with other ways to level, which helps bring people into something that the majority of players ignored before this.

I still think it's a weird choice. You don't get experience if you wipe in POTD. If you vote abandon a LDR halfway through, you don't get the bonus. Failed FATEs give severely reduced EXP. It just feels weird that they choose to reward failure and success equally in the one competetive aspect of the game