Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: playing a boots on the ground FPS in 2017. Just :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

817 posted:

Now I know that the series is totally different now than it was a long time ago, but I have to say how disappointed I am at how things have changed. I played the first game all the way through on Veteran difficulty and spent hundreds of hours in 1, UO & 2 multiplayer. The tagline of Call of Duty used to be: "In the war that changed the world, victory was not achieved by one man." The most iconic moment of the series is when your commissar gives you a rousing speech and makes you charge the machine guns without even a weapon. In the campaign, when a character that's been with you since the first drop into Normandy is killed off, he gets no dramatic final scene, nobody tells you how you should feel about it, the game doesn't fetishise the thing in any way. You begin the mission, play it for a while and maybe notice at some point that your buddy is missing. You think to yourself: Did you miss a line of dialog or something? Is he coming back after you clear these few houses? And then you backtrack a bit and find his crumpled up body among all the other chaff NPC's. The war didn't stop for him, for anyone.

F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKbi8Dz_2k&t=2231s

The big things I want to see from a CoD game:

-Separate console and PC balancing. It hasn't failed for a while now that CoD and BF games feel like they're made and maintained for consoles. Maps get simpler, lots of "congratulations you shot/hit/killed things" messages all over the screen, less movement penalties. So while the console gameplay feels well-paced, the PC versions of CoD and BF feel like a clusterfuck where everyone's spinning and sprinting around like madmen. Slow people down after a jump to cut down on corner jumping or create a larger delay or accuracy penalty when coming out of sprinting, but god's sake please fix PC versions of these shooters. It looks like they've at least upped the TTK and a video I watched showed a guy constantly getting punished for trying to play MLG Black Ops-style.

-Embrace the time period. One of the reasons I dropped BF1 was that it felt like a BF4 mod. Guns still had ACOGs and red dots (but with different names), you could point-and-click your drone plane to just murder swaths of people, and you could mark enemies on your teammates' Tactical Advanced Heads-Up Display eyeballs. I'm also kind of disappointed the new game lets you pick any gun you want despite country. It just feels so homogenized. I don't even care if they do that old-school Enemy Territory thing where Tommy Guns and MP40s feel like the same gun, at least make it feel like I'm playing as Germans or Americans instead of Home Team or Away Team.

-Slow the campaign down and cut down on sequences where you have no real control. As the newer games go on, I genuinely can't remember many proper fight sequences in them that can't be summed up as "shoot down a hallway." One of my favorite CoD missions was Dawnville, where Steve Blum would scream at you to go to different stations in town and complete objectives. After CoD 3/4 or so, those moments would have been so completely different in design and would have been worse. I recently played the Titanfall 2 campaign and there's a section early on where you have to hold out solo against an enemy assault, and it was actually pretty stressful and challenging. It reminded me of the tougher holdout sections from CoD 1-4 and made me realize how anemic similar events in recent CoD games have been.

That said, ever since about Blops II I mostly buy CoD games on grey market sites (I would buy them on Steam if they weren't $40 five year old games) to go through the campaigns for whiz-bang entertainment, but I like what I hear from the new CoD and I hope they get it right.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yo NSA if you're going to boot me from the group at least tell the group it's because you booted me and not because "I left". Not sure when I poo poo on your cereal but blocking me and actively going out of your way to not let me play with others is kinda lovely, my dude.

Like I play shootmans to play some shootmans and talk poo poo with he rest of us idiots playing this game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd rather play with a goon I didn't like than a pubby any day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Confession time: i don't like Macys. Always bragging about socialized healthcare and free national park entrances. I will still play with him.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't like IW. Complete loving garbage with garbage connections every game.

I don't know how you put up with the loving bullshit onscreen every loving match.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 22, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm literally the 1% of IW that the game actually works for.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
It worked fine for me too but I still contest it is a bad and boring game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Literally me tonight:

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
what is wrong with you

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every IW match is a brand new pleasing experience where the hit detection and movement system Just Works for me and I realize I'm playing a very good game.

BLOPS3 is just incredibly boring with a worse movement system than IW and a very, very bad hit detection. Thankfully I'm almost done with the triple play so I won't have to play it much longer. That said, the map on the train station was super fun because I kept running into their nests and loving everyone up.

Giving FTL and other classes sweet taunts means I don't use the broken flying robot as much nowadays (I still do for my Javes Approved setups but I can just switch one less attachment and run scavenger instead)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 22, 2017

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Hello friends. I would like to celebrate the official dissolution of my marriage this evening by pub stomping in the superior COD - black ops 3. I hope we can share some laughs and frags together this evening.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I will be there to shoot some mans. And finish my triple play and maybe not get a poo poo gun.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
But what if you leave the group unceremoniously again?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wazzit posted:

But what if you leave the group unceremoniously again?

I have learned how to deal with those hardships by playing the very popular Call of Duty Ghost Extinction Mode.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have learned how to deal with those hardships by playing the very popular Call of Duty Ghost Extinction Mode.

why don't you send me invites

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

I keep trying to play Extinction but I can't find a thorough detailed long winded guide for the life of me.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Wazzit posted:

I keep trying to play Extinction but I can't find a thorough detailed long winded guide for the life of me.

Can we not start that bullshit again?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

housefly posted:

Aw, c'mon. Posting extinction guide is a cod thread staple, along with speed tests. That and rating the thread 2 so it's easy to find.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

housefly posted:

Pubbies keep taking my alien kills away so I keep rage quitting, please help.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My new mouse arrived today so I get to try it out tonight :getin:

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My new mouse arrived today so I get to try it out tonight :getin:

What mouse did you end up getting?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kizurue posted:

What mouse did you end up getting?

G900. It's good stuff. Also Chacha join the loving party.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Done with my triple play!

:negative:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Hey, I got the Basilisk. At least yours is usable.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Vicissitude posted:

Hey, I got the Basilisk. At least yours is usable.

The basilisk gets better with attachments. Once you get used to the spin up, it gets much better and can melt people. That said, the spin up is annoying as gently caress.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

You don't need to ever touch IW to play Modern Warfare Remastered anymore. They're releasing it at as standalone after 8 months of people wanting it not require IW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frcic8ApwJ0

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

You don't need to ever touch IW to play Modern Warfare Remastered anymore. They're releasing it at as standalone after 8 months of people wanting it not require IW.

The release is still a timed exclusive on XB1 and you don't get the map pack in any case :lol:

Also I'd recommend against buying MWR because it's infested with the snipers who couldn't hack it in BO3, and you remember that CoD4 is lacking a lot of the QoL stuff that MW2 and later games brought to the series.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

Reminder that MWR also has supply drops and new weapons. It's also infested with snipers and its a boots on the ground shots how. Please continue enjoying and playing the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare instead. Which is what I plan on doing tonight after I finish Horizon Zero Dawn.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Godzilla07 posted:

The release is still a timed exclusive on XB1 and you don't get the map pack in any case :lol:

Also I'd recommend against buying MWR because it's infested with the snipers who couldn't hack it in BO3, and you remember that CoD4 is lacking a lot of the QoL stuff that MW2 and later games brought to the series.

This. Sure it's a remaster of a past game but uh.... yeah. Doesn't feel right to me, a person who started playing with goons around Blops 3. While yes I did try to get pistol camos out first, I don't remember it feeling any good, even if I was carrying an M16 alongside.

... but chances are, once I get a bigger HDD for my PS4, I'll prob reinstall for shits.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IW's campaign to doing the worst job supporting IW continues as they managed to do another weekend with no events, hacks and the only thing they're throwing the players way is 50% off crates with COD points.

But if you're hoarding boxes (as you should) you can't even have the option to buy cod points since the game:
- opens the bought box immediately.
- won't let you use cod points if you already have a stockpile.

If DLC3 / new weapons aren't announced and released next week the sub-Reddit is going to riot and I can't wait to see the flames :getin:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

IW's campaign to doing the worst job supporting IW continues as they managed to do another weekend with no events, hacks and the only thing they're throwing the players way is 50% off crates with COD points.

But if you're hoarding boxes (as you should) you can't even have the option to buy cod points since the game:
- opens the bought box immediately.
- won't let you use cod points if you already have a stockpile.

If DLC3 / new weapons aren't announced and released next week the sub-Reddit is going to riot and I can't wait to see the flames :getin:

Meanwhile, Dead Game Titanfall 2 is about to receive its 6th free DLC, the developers have been changing problematic elements in response to community feedback, and the game will receive an entirely new game mode within the next month or two.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

Meanwhile, Dead Game Titanfall 2 is about to receive its 6th free DLC, the developers have been changing problematic elements in response to community feedback, and the game will receive an entirely new game mode within the next month or two.

Yet the game is deader than IW :eyepop: gently caress, I even OWN Titanfall 2. I've yet to even finish the SP.

This actually got me curious about player count numbers. I know PS4 doesn't release any and I think Xbox releases theirs (that I can't find) but loving :lol: IW on Steam has like 1,500 players online on average.

That's less numbers than COD Ghosts on PS4 nowadays.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 23, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's because the PC is a dead gaming platform for a dying industry.

The future is indie games on console!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish all indie games would go away forever.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

It's because the PC is a dead gaming platform for a dying industry.

The future is indie games on console!

PC gamers have better shooters to play than COD.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If you define "better" by "very badly ported console title", then sure, I agree.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I don't think CSGO is a "badly ported console title."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CS:GO

"Better"

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of good games. Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and got the platinum trophy for it. Game owns so hard.

Playing on my Switch now so just send me an invite or something if we get a COD group going.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 24, 2017

• Locked thread